This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Atlantis vulnerable to Rouge Waves?

I was watching a show on the history channel about Rouge Waves, and I realized, wouldn't Atlantis be vulnerable to huge Rouge waves. Atlantis' shield is keep off most of the time and that would be it's only defense. Atlantis didn't even detect the storm in season one and storms can be seen coming, rouge waves come out of no where and currently (on Earth) there is not a feasible way to detect them in time.

Also here is a link to info about rouge waves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freak_wave
    sigpic

I'm guessing Atlantis has an easy way of defending against these. I know thats pure speculation I'm just going with the race that can cross galaxies in milliseconds being smarter than big buckets of water.
    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
      I'm guessing Atlantis has an easy way of defending against these. I know thats pure speculation I'm just going with the race that can cross galaxies in milliseconds being smarter than big buckets of water.
      It's called "The Great Shield".

Comment

if it was in shallower water then probably, but waves change amplitude in deeper waters thus it would be something of a 'swell' further out, i'm no expert but i have heard of ships surviving what would later become 'tidal waves' because they were in deeper waters(still in the path of 'tidal wave') sea level rose underneath them then sank back down, long as its not 'too' quick your boat should stay afloat
        sigpic
        EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
        -Liberty Prime

Comment

there might not be rough waves in that planet, also it flyes, ant they can talk to wales, they would raise the sheild in time
          Originally posted by cowpants
          ...you did it. I can't believe you actually did it. I am quite frankly astounded that you did it.

Thanks to you, I now want several mods to start mating with each other. I wanting to see what Moderator procreation will have in store for us.

And I thought that no one could get me to want this.

Congrats Mapp, you are officially the single most disturbed individual on GW.
          Spoiler:

Spoiler:
          Rosilin for pres

Comment

True... and i think they could detect the storm, but we had not gotten all the systems that were needed for that operational..

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
              Is Atlantis vulnerable to Rouge Waves?
              "Rouge" waves? I don't see how rosy cheeks are much of a threat to a Lantean City.
              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
                "Rouge" waves? I don't see how rosy cheeks are much of a threat to a Lantean City.
                Maybe he means "rogue"?

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
                  Maybe he means "rogue"?
                  How can a wave be "rogue?" Rogue implies that it is rebellious and acting outsde of the cultural norms of the other waves.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom6 View Post
                    It's called "The Great Shield".
                    Yes, but Atlantis would have to detect the wave in time to raise the shield.

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
                    How can a wave be "rogue?" Rogue implies that it is rebellious and acting outsde of the cultural norms of the other waves.
                    Rouge waves are waves much higher and powerful than the other waves in the area, it's on the link above.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                      Rouge waves are waves much higher and powerful than the other waves in the area, it's on the link above.
                      Are the waves wearing too much rouge and being confused with cheap hookers?

Comment

Since Atlantis is the size of Manhattan, it's safe to assume that most waves, rogue or otherwise would pose little to no problem to the city at large. The storm only created problem waves because it covered half the planet or so.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                          Since Atlantis is the size of Manhattan, it's safe to assume that most waves, rogue or otherwise would pose little to no problem to the city at large. The storm only created problem waves because it covered half the planet or so.
                          I think that a cosmic impact would also do the trick. Since the planet is covered by water, a large object that survived descent through the atmosphere would create a very large wave. But the shield would probably protect it.
                          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                          Caboose: They could be worse?
                          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

they probably can detect it and raise the shield if needed but the sheer height of the city docks are probably suffient in withstanding those waves.
                            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Working...
                            X