Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK: BBC 2 gains exclusive rights to Season 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK: BBC 2 gains exclusive rights to Season 2!

"The BBC is thought to have paid around £400,000 an episode for the second season of Heroes - even though it has yet to show the first.

The new deal represents a five-fold increase on the amount the corporation paid for season one, which will air on BBC Two over the summer.

Sci Fi Channel had first-run rights to season one, but was forced out of the bidding for season two as the price tag rose.

Season two will now air on both BBC Two and digital channel BBC Three from next year." - digitalspy

BBC Press Release: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...3/heroes.shtml

Hope £9.6 Million of the TV License is worth it
    It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

That’s something like 0.3% of the BBC yearly budget so I think its well worth it.

Comment

i'd rather they came up with their own original shows. the bbc was really great at that in the past and i think it's slowly getting better again.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz! View Post
        ...£400,000 an episode...

Hope £9.6 Million of the TV License is worth it
        And this is how much in U.S. Dollars.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
          And this is how much in U.S. Dollars.
          Times it by 2, so thats $19.2.

Comment

That is a lot of $$$!

How much do they normally pay for a show?

Comment

Well...it's a pitence when you comepare it to this disgrace

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6669769.stm

£300 million for 8 years...truely disgusting
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                Well...it's a pitence when you comepare it to this disgrace

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6669769.stm

£300 million for 8 years...truely disgusting
                That's only about £145,000 per episode.
                I don't think Channel five will have paid that much - you can't have a bidding war without other bidders - maybe they were actively trying to move the show in-house by making the BBC jump.

Hasn't Sky One paid something like £500,000 per ep of Lost?

ETA: Am amused by
                But one of the big criticisms of Neighbours' fans is that the BBC never promoted the show," said Murphy.
                And yet the ratings were much, much higher in previous years. All shows' fandoms are essentially the same aren't they?
                Last edited by smurf; 24 May 2007, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  i'd rather they came up with their own original shows. the bbc was really great at that in the past and i think it's slowly getting better again.
                  It costs NBC about $2.7 (£1.3) million an episode to produce Heroes The BBC just cant afforded to pay that sort of money. Take Dr Who they say that costs less than £1 million an episode and its nowhere near the production quality of Heroes. Also you need to remember that the BBC doesn’t make any money back when broadcasting in the UK unlike NBC in the US though advertising. Its only when shows are sold overseas and DVD sales where they make any money back.

I do think that the BBC should be making there own programs but they just don’t have the money to produce such high quality production. So it make sense sometimes to just buy them already made.

Comment

Does that mean the season 2 will be shown in the UK before the US?

Comment

No, just that BBC get first run in the UK.
                      It's due to restart in the US in September, and they're saying next year for the BBC.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        That's on the cards. I read in the paper yesterday (the Times) that BBC Wales are planning a Blake's 7 -inspired drama to air next year: to insure against planet-wide disaster wiping out the human race it's decided to colonise new worlds and (here comes the B7-ey bit) a group of cons and lowlifes and dissidents are selected to be the vanguard.

But in the meantime, since the BBC doesn't spend a vast amount on foreign stuff, and since Heroes is jolly good, I'm all for being able to watch Heroes on ad-free TV .

Madeleine

Comment

Great news, now i can watch Heroes on tv.
                          sigpic

Comment

cool I may get to keep up with it this time around. I t good to see my licence fees to pay for something of that quality.

Saying that I do not see that much difference between heroes and Dr who in qualtiy.

And I agree the bbc is getting better at producing it own shows and in my much better than itv.

Comment

Yey no advertes
                              Sci-fi just dont have anther money to compeat with most companys
                              sigpic
                              Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                              Metal gear fan

Comment

Working...
                              X