PDA

View Full Version : I am bored so decided to do some 3d stuff for Horizon (Not offical art)

knowles2
May 21st, 2007, 02:41 PM
Well as the tile say it really, this my thread for some of the 3d models I am gonna create well until I get bored of them. These two pieces are based on two pieces of concept art that had been posted around here.

Both of these are in the very early stages.

The first one is of the Draque vessel concept shown here at gateworld

This is the Bellermorphon (do not think that how you spell) again in the early stage of development, I must admit I do not like the shape of the craft, so either it will be change completly or modified.

The next model I will probably start on is Valiant. This will be my original design and most likely not based on any concept art here.

Then eventually the Horizon station, through for some reason I keep think it like the federation space stations so I got to come up with a concept that is not federation like and original.

If anyone got these concept art already on gateworld, or photobucket then please do as I only have them on my harddrive and not enough attachment space here to post them.

Will do some bigger pictures of the vessel later, in the up dates I will post.

knowles2
May 23rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Well here a lot more work done on the Draque Vessel.

http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4121&d=1179981480
http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4123&d=1179981740

C&C is welcome, not to sure where to put the weapons, suggestions please

Alex Rubit
May 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Those look pretty good. I like especially the basic design for the Draque Marauder.

If you ever want to come on board and work on official designs for the series, just let me know.

any_gopher
May 24th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Wow Knowles! That's quite an opportunity right there!

Congrats on being AWESOME. Lol.

knowles2
May 27th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Well her a up date. I stuck some engines on the Draque Marouder. And decided where I might put the weapons, they the indented bits. Added a bit details to the engines.

I would like to people like the locations of the weapons. And if they have any suggestions on what the weapons should look like.

Also think about colour, scheme i thinking of going for dark blue/purple hull color, unless a color is stated in the script.

Tonight I am gonna start creating the dome for the horizon station as I know their needs to be a dome in the design.

Alex would love this to become official art for the series. So consider me sign up if you have me.

Boxytheboxed
May 28th, 2007, 05:25 AM
knowles maby embed the weapons in the side of the MArauder Akin to Galactica's side guns

knowles2
May 28th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I have to take a look at some pictures of Galactica, I cannot rememeber exactly where their weapons are, but it could be a good place to put them.

Any more suggestions.

knowles2
June 2nd, 2007, 07:35 AM
well here some pictures of the landing gears. Not to clean on them so they will be change radically in the future, but I just thought I ask people what they thought of them now.

gonnaa work on some weapons designs tomorrow.

knowles2
October 18th, 2007, 10:20 AM
http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4148&d=1181185845

http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4149&d=1181185873

http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4150&d=1181191446

their are updates to these on my harddrive but waiting for my new pc arrives then I will up load them

Senku
October 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Yeah, some bug-like Draque ships. Don't forget the scale effect in some place of the hull! Nice job there knowles :)

jelgate
November 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Now only if you could show me show drawings of the aliens

Elitenova
November 17th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Does the draque ship look like a Jem'Hader fighter?

Alex Rubit
November 18th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Does the draque ship look like a Jem'Hader fighter?

In a word: no.

Actually, there's a concept drawing of a Draque Marauder on the gallery page (http://www.freewebs.com/stargate-horizon/gallery.htm) of our website.

I do think Jem'Hadar ships look pretty cool, though.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 18th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Both "Bug Ships" in their own way. lol

knowles2
January 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Well I thought I come back to this again, good old boredom has set in again. No more done on the other models, still got them of my old hard drives have not transfered them over to knew hard drive yet. But I thought I start on the star of the show, the Horizon station.

The design is based on several concept pictures already started in 3d and the hand drawn designs which was made offical and my own imagination.

The biggest problem at the moment seem to be size portions getting them right, the dome (a placement sphere for now) which houses the stargate looks too big in caparisons to some other parts of the station which looks to small, it gonna be a painful trying to balance these out, but this is my first attempt at design some of it I like and other bits I am not to sure about, well that enough of me talking here a few pictures I uploaded, comments.suggestions welcome.

Senku
January 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Keep on it, looks very promising!

Col.Foley
January 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Actually, I thought we already had 'official' art for horizon.

knowles2
January 21st, 2008, 03:53 AM
Actually, I thought we already had 'official' art for horizon.

Yeah, and may be you should also read the title of the thread, NON OFFICIAL ART, just thought I type it capital so you may notice it this time.

As for the official art, do not like the design and plus the only design I seen is in 2d and not 3d a I have done here. Plus if you read the post you would of found that this takes some design inspirations of the various versions that I have seen on this forum.

Keep on it, looks very promising!

Thanks, gonna play around with the design and see if I can come up with one like a bit better than this one.

maylet
January 25th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Those are amazing, how did you make it?

knowles2
January 26th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Those are amazing, how did you make it?

To be perfectly honest it not that amazing, have look as some truly amazing stuff on this website, it put my stuff to shame.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com.

I used a piece of software called Maya. It basically allows you to create 3d objects. The horizon model was created using cylinders, beveled tool, and a simple spheres, then basically just placing them in the scene, with a bit of cutting, and merging of vertices's, sizing to create what you see.

The Draque vessel, was a bit more complex to create, but essentially it just started out as a sphere, which using a tool call cut and extrude I used to eventually make what you see. The engines was created using the same set of tools, except it started of as cube.

Just thought I say that as my PCI IDE adapter now arrived I can now access the other models, so expect a few minor updates in the coming week. And may be a other attempt at texturing the Draque.

maylet want any more info just asked on this thread.

knowles2
January 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Well for anyone who cares, their gotta be a few of you out their surley, perhaps not, but got my hard drive up and running again and had time to work on the valiant, tidying up the model and added the landing gears, some armor and some random doors, for now let call these cargo bay doors, and a few windows.

Well kids, that it for now,

Expect a update in the couple of days or weeks or months, hell it may be years, but their will be updates promised :)

edit: sorry for the piss poor render quality, will render some higher res ones soon.

Alex Rubit
January 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Well for anyone who cares, their gotta be a few of you out their surley

I definitely care, and those are some nice pictures.

I can't really say anything about the designs, since they're not the official designs (a concept drawing of the official Valiant is on the website actually). And I've said this before, if you're going to take the time to make CG images of things in the series, you might as well do it officially. That way your work will get recognized more, since we could put it up on the site. And we all know we've got tons of things that really need to be visualized. :)

Senku
January 31st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hey, looks great! With some improvements to make she more like the official drawings... ;)

knowles2
February 1st, 2008, 01:42 AM
I definitely care, and those are some nice pictures.

I can't really say anything about the designs, since they're not the official designs (a concept drawing of the official Valiant is on the website actually). And I've said this before, if you're going to take the time to make CG images of things in the series, you might as well do it officially. That way your work will get recognized more, since we could put it up on the site. And we all know we've got tons of things that really need to be visualized. :)

Hey, looks great! With some improvements to make she more like the official drawings... ;)

Well yeah I got the official designs, I was not to clean on the official designs drawing for the Valiant, look to much like the 304s from the concept drawing. So this just my imagination at work, through I will be honest I have not looked at the Official valiant designs for some time, will take a look and see if I can modified the current mesh to fit in more with the official designs. Well as I said I more and willing to do it officially o perhaps a other way is that I just do the model and then Alex can just decide whether he want to make it official.

I will tell you the one thing I gonna copy straight from the concept design is the enoly station, I just love the concept drawing, it also nice and detail to.

Alex Rubit
February 1st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Well yeah I got the official designs, I was not to clean on the official designs drawing for the Valiant, look to much like the 304s from the concept drawing. So this just my imagination at work, through I will be honest I have not looked at the Official valiant designs for some time, will take a look and see if I can modified the current mesh to fit in more with the official designs. Well as I said I more and willing to do it officially o perhaps a other way is that I just do the model and then Alex can just decide whether he want to make it official.

Well, like I've said in the past, the CG designs don't have to exactly match the concept art. If someone's officially working on them, we'd want to encourage that they bring in their own ideas. The more people you have contributing, the better the end result usually is. For example, we have a clear idea of what Horizon looks like from the concept drawing, but the CG version would probably differ from it here and there. The basic design structure should be the same, but aside from that there's a lot of leeway for new ideas, since the concept drawing doesn't have all the details that the CG version would have.

The thing that would make the most sense is just to have you officially turn something into CG art; and all that we'd need to do for that is just get together at some point with everyone on staff to toss around some ideas.

I will tell you the one thing I gonna copy straight from the concept design is the enoly station, I just love the concept drawing, it also nice and detail to.

Oh yeah, we all loved that design, which was one of the reasons we opted to bring it back in "Eden."

knowles2
February 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Well, like I've said in the past, the CG designs don't have to exactly match the concept art. If someone's officially working on them, we'd want to encourage that they bring in their own ideas. The more people you have contributing, the better the end result usually is. For example, we have a clear idea of what Horizon looks like from the concept drawing, but the CG version would probably differ from it here and there. The basic design structure should be the same, but aside from that there's a lot of leeway for new ideas, since the concept drawing doesn't have all the details that the CG version would have.

The thing that would make the most sense is just to have you officially turn something into CG art; and all that we'd need to do for that is just get together at some point with everyone on staff to toss around some ideas.

Well if you want to arrange such a meeting I am pretty much available anytime. So just email, [email protected]
thats my email and MSN,

StayingOccupied
February 14th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I'm going to start helping out too. Do you do texturing too? How about animating? We might wanna team up on stuff. Depending on what Alex wants.

knowles2
February 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I'm going to start helping out too. Do you do texturing too? How about animating? We might wanna team up on stuff. Depending on what Alex wants.

I would not mind that.

I can do basic animations, still got a lot to learn through I will probably be learning a lot through my uni project I got to do over the coming months so do not expect many updates to this.

Texturing I completely noob at every thing I do seem to make my models looks bad through I gonna keep at it.

StayingOccupied
February 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah i can help out with that stuff. Texturing is a pain, but i can do it fairly well.

knowles2
February 14th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Yeah i can help out with that stuff. Texturing is a pain, but i can do it fairly well.

Thats cool.

Alex Rubit
February 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Well if you want to arrange such a meeting I am pretty much available anytime. So just email, [email protected]
thats my email and MSN,

Great, thanks!

I'm not on MSN too often during the week, but I'm usually on pretty much all day on Sundays. We should try and get together perhaps sometime then, if that works for you.

Alex Rubit
February 14th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Just send you an email. Let me know if you got it.

And sure, having the two of you team up sounds great to me.

StayingOccupied
February 15th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Just send you an email. Let me know if you got it.

And sure, having the two of you team up sounds great to me.

yup, i got the email.

Do you have a list of the episodes that it is described in? So i can get it right in case the drawing is missing something. Or a size description.