This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exploring the city

Do you think the team will ever full chart the entire city room by room?

I mean, there literally has to be a lab or something where the Ancients made ZPMs, jumpers and drones. Where else would they get them if not there in the city?

Also, do you think McKay is smart enough to access the terminals that we saw the commander of the Ancient warship access just as soon as she returned to the city?

1-800-PLOT-HOLE

Of course the Ancients made drones and such, we just take VERY long to find them. They have database for everything, a lot of episodes they say "we saw this in the database", or "we heard of these people in the database" but they can't look for a sign that says 'ZPM ROOM THIS WAY' in the database. Maybe TPTB will make an interesting way for us finding the rooms you mentioned in season 4.

Comment

Originally posted by lunchbox View Post
      Do you think the team will ever full chart the entire city room by room?

I mean, there literally has to be a lab or something where the Ancients made ZPMs, jumpers and drones. Where else would they get them if not there in the city?

Also, do you think McKay is smart enough to access the terminals that we saw the commander of the Ancient warship access just as soon as she returned to the city?
      You can be pretty much assured that everything is available to them in the database. It's simply a plot hole to allow the show to continue & keep them the underdogs that they haven't found anything of real value yet.

Think how hard it would be for them to write stories if they could make ZPM's, Drones & all the rest. Not that I think that's a bad thing, quite the contrary in actual fact. So it's simply easier/quicker/simpler for the writers to ignore this, make them massive underdogs against seemingly unbeatable enemies but always win in the end. Either thanks to a last minute uber weapon that they find, or a brilliant piece of ingenuity from Shep or McKay when it looks like they're screwed & out of time.

I doubt we'll ever get to see anything of real value taken from Atlantis before the show inevitably meets it's maker.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
        You can be pretty much assured that everything is available to them in the database. It's simply a plot hole to allow the show to continue & keep them the underdogs that they haven't found anything of real value yet.

Think how hard it would be for them to write stories if they could make ZPM's, Drones & all the rest. Not that I think that's a bad thing, quite the contrary in actual fact. So it's simply easier/quicker/simpler for the writers to ignore this, make them massive underdogs against seemingly unbeatable enemies but always win in the end. Either thanks to a last minute uber weapon that they find, or a brilliant piece of ingenuity from Shep or McKay when it looks like they're screwed & out of time.

I doubt we'll ever get to see anything of real value taken from Atlantis before the show inevitably meets it's maker.
        I have the same impression that we won't see too many advanced things
        actually obtained from Atlantis ( and if the team finds something , that thing
        will get destroyed quickly - like what happened to that nice cool ship ... ).

I find it quite frustrating that most of the knowledge of the ancients is deeply
        hidden in that huge database.

So far, we haven't seen anything built from scratch using the ancient
        technology: the team has only used things that the ancients have left
        behind (jumpers, drones, those small detection palmtops).

The writers are actively keeping the team at a level of semi-ignorance
        regarding the ancient technology : "We barely scratch the surface of what's in there" .
        I wish they dropped this idea completely because it would unlock the possibility
        for some very exciting episodes.

Comment

I think I have mentioned this elsewhere, but this is the key problem with Atlantis thus far - the series feels it has been running on the spot. I suspect that the new developments they have been murmuring at (I am uncertain of this thread carries a spoiler warning so I will not say further than that) implies they are aware of this problem and are taking measures to fix it. - Exploration within Atlantis and what developments it could bring is a major one though. Ever since the stat of SG1's seventh season, the idea of what finding Atlantis could mean as far as technological and scientific advances is concerned was mind blowing. This again is reiterated at the end of the season and Atlantis's pilot rising. - However, this has not come to pass in the show thus far, and there is more that could be discovered beyond the obvious. (weapons and ships!) Time will tell!
          Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
          Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
            I think I have mentioned this elsewhere, but this is the key problem with Atlantis thus far - the series feels it has been running on the spot. I suspect that the new developments they have been murmuring at (I am uncertain of this thread carries a spoiler warning so I will not say further than that) implies they are aware of this problem and are taking measures to fix it. - Exploration within Atlantis and what developments it could bring is a major one though. Ever since the stat of SG1's seventh season, the idea of what finding Atlantis could mean as far as technological and scientific advances is concerned was mind blowing. This again is reiterated at the end of the season and Atlantis's pilot rising. - However, this has not come to pass in the show thus far, and there is more that could be discovered beyond the obvious. (weapons and ships!) Time will tell!
            I agree: the purpose of the Atlantis mission is supposed to be studying
            and learning as much as possible from the Ancients.

There are at least two episodes that are about exploring the city : The Tao of
            Rodney and The Game. I enjoyed them a lot exactly because we've seen
            some ancient devices. And was so logical and credible to see that some
            members can get into trouble because of misusing those advanced consoles.

It would be really nice to see more episodes about exploring Atlantis.

Anyway, the ending of the third season could open up some unpredictable
            and interesting developments.
            Spoiler:
            like bringing the city on a completely new planet. Or
            maybe meeting some new advanced friends who helps the team with a new power source.
            Last edited by HyperspaceDaemon; 22 May 2007, 02:01 AM.

Comment

I really like Atlantis, I do, but I'm getting annoyed with this philosophy of 'we can't become too much of a superpower' and all that that so many people hark on about regarding new ships. Even if we kept all the ships we've created, even if we got Atlantis with 3 zpms, and gave zpms to all of our ships, we wouldn't automatically start kicking the Wraith's arse. because as the ancients pointed out, fully powered their ships were brilliant one on one with the enemy, but when fleets arrive the ancient ships get rumbled. With zpms we still have the problem of not being able to build that many ships without people on earth asking the wrong questions. I think it's about time we saw something brilliant happen in Atlantis, like either a way to make drones, a way to make ZPMs, or a fully functioning, fully powered ancient warship. We don't necessarily need all, but I really don't see why we can't have one of them. But that's just me
              sigpic
              If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
              I love you like a fat kid loves cake: you were great at the time but you ruined high school for me.

Comment

i agree it would be cool to see out ppl in charge of atlantis when it's fully functioning. but part of what it cool about the SG verse is that it's, for the most part, set in todays world. if they suddenly had the power to build ZPMs, then atlantis would building them and send them back to earth to power, well... the planet. something that obvious, unlimited power supply on earth, would change the show from "current" to "sci fi"

that being said, i would love to see more of atlantis. sciences, medicines, heck even bathroom areas. the game was cool, coz it showed
                Spoiler:
                maybe a way the ancients entertained themselves. they were kinda human afterall, and we use strategy games for entertainment.

maybe at the beginning of s4 we'll get to see more
                "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
                "what?"
                *throat punch*
                My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
                LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

The Atlantis expedition is full of scientists who rarely seem to do anything unless the story calls for a body count. Why isn't there a team of them dedicated to exploring the city? At the very least there'd be floor plans of most of the buildings after 3 years.

My personal opinion is that Atlantis is just there as a kind of plot device. (1) Every so often someone will find a strange Ancient machine which turns out to be useless to the expedition at the end of the story. (2) Luckily some unknown person discovered a cell ideal for keeping Wraith in and he/she did it before Steve was captured. (Or did I miss something in the first four episodes of Season 1?)
                  sigpic

Comment

I would like to see them find a ZPM room, just to stop the constant "we don't have power" episodes. THey are starting to get boring and repetitive.

Here's a suggestion if a writer is lurking. Give them the ZPM room, but make it damaged and they can only produce ZPMs with say 25% power. Just enough for them to use shields etc for a limited amount of time.

THis will keep the playing field level and fair.

Heck, even make it so they can only produce 1 ZPM every month. Just give them power so they can use city systems and not be complaining about the lack of power every 5 seconds.

Comment

Or you could have it that you can only refill empty ones, so it's dependent on how many 'shells' you have, because we've only got a couple, and an extension of that could be that they can only be filled up a certain number of times, kind of like recharging AA batteries but on a slightly larger scale. Just an idea
                      sigpic
                      If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
                      I love you like a fat kid loves cake: you were great at the time but you ruined high school for me.

Comment

Creating ZPM will not be as simple as finding the lab, pluging in a lap top and pressing a few buttons!

For example, the sangrall in sg1 (a devise very similar to a zpm, it just channnels the energy into the dimention where the accended exist) is made buy using one of the "darn head suckers" as jack called it

i would sugest that most ancient tech was made in this way, cos they were all super smart and only had to think " ummmmmmm zpm" and there it would apear!

tho using the modified argard beam earth should now be able to produce drones with little effort!

ZPMs should remain unattainable for now! maybe they could find a head sucker thingy on atlantis and there is the the op for a brave sole to stick their head in it to save the day at the 11 hour

Comment

I agree that we need to explore the city more but the expedition is not just about exploring Atlantis. It's about exploring the Pegasus galaxy as well not just Atlantis. Also if we find the lab or facility that the ancients used to make ZPMs we don't have the knowledge to make them. It wouldnt be a simple as flicking a switch. I agree we need more advancements in technology but one reason we don't get to keep it or we destroy it is b/c it is so far ahead of us.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

if they wanted to mess up the plot for that all they need to do is say, "Yes we found the ZPM manufacturing lab, but oh dang it we need some crazy ass mineral we've never seen before or heard of to make one and it just seems sooooo hard let's just go eat some pie!"

thats all it takes.... pie
                            The Advertisements MGM never wants you to see!!

Comment

I think now with the inclusion of Carter in season 4 we will have an extra smart brain there to do some research and exploring of the city and its tech.
                              Perhaps with what happened at the end of SG-1 season 10 with what we obtained may be of help in our endeavors.

Comment

Working...
                              X