PDA

View Full Version : pets and such

lunchbox
May 21st, 2007, 12:56 PM
think McKay should be allowed to have his cat in the city?

Do you think that Weir should consider allowing truly trusted allies to live in the city like the people that the found on the volcano planet or Teyla's kinsmen?

PG15
May 21st, 2007, 01:24 PM
Absolutely not.

We don't need another unpredictable factor in the city that can accidentally cause a disaster by fiddling around with Ancient doohickies.

vaberella
May 21st, 2007, 01:31 PM
Absolutely not.

We don't need another unpredictable factor in the city that can accidentally cause a disaster by fiddling around with Ancient doohickies.

Bloody hell thank you. And if Weir were to allow that...I'd ask for her resignation and picket JM's blog for her resignation. Not to mention the cat might die goig through the stargate for all we know. I don't need to see McKay crying--thank you very much!

monkey_man132
May 21st, 2007, 04:50 PM

Do you think that Weir should consider allowing truly trusted allies to live in the city like the people that the found on the volcano planet or Teyla's kinsmen?Its possible to have a cat on Atlantis. Maybe being sort of military its not possible.

jenks
May 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM

Do you think that Weir should consider allowing truly trusted allies to live in the city like the people that the found on the volcano planet or Teyla's kinsmen?

Aren't the volcano people
All dead?

Cautious Explorer
May 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM
As much as I would miss my cats if I had to leave them behind, I would rather leave them with a trusted friend than take them into harms way with me. Imagine trying to wrestle a frightened cat into a puddle jumper the next time Atlantis is evacuated.

As to allowing allies in the city, I think it would probably require too much energy and additional supplies. At least the Athosians on the mainland were
self-sufficient for the most part.

monkey_man132
May 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM
All dead?Yes! I'm so mad about that! I loved that woman that worked with McKay with the Orion in "Inferno". She would have made an excellent reoccurring character. She really appreciated McKay and I enjoyed their interaction. Way better character than that Lucius guy, but they give him two dreadful episodes..

vaberella
May 21st, 2007, 06:53 PM
Yes! I'm so mad about that! I loved that woman that worked with McKay with the Orion in "Inferno". She would have made an excellent reoccurring character. She really appreciated McKay and I enjoyed their interaction. Way better character than that Lucius guy, but they give him two dreadful episodes..

You're talking about Noreena?! That twit. I was so disappointed in that character it was sad. I thought she was going to be intelligent, she didn't understand a thing McKay was saying. I was very upset with her. She was nothing like Allina, who I thought was great. She worked well with Rodney and understood everything he was saying. Not to mention she respected and was totally in love with him...of course that was until he totally mislead her and she got upset. But I always wanted her to come back and hook up with McKay.

Allina was just wicked...I'm not into this boring Katie Brown. Well for McKay it was alway Allina or Cadman, and scientifically both those women were fairly adept and would compliment McKay very well. I would have loved to see them interact with McKay more. Now I have to ask JM about bringing Cadman back...at least in S5. Hoepfully he'll be cool with it....

Oops I joined in the OT strand. Back to teh pet thing, what if the stargate does funny things to the cats brains or something or the cells in their body? You've never seen animals go through the gate, just people. What if people and animals did go through the gate and they got all wonky and McKay came out with a tail and the cat had his head? Poor Zelenka would have a field day.

ciannwn
May 22nd, 2007, 04:34 AM
Definitely no pets because they could end up being used in some experiment or other. "Sorry, Rodney. We've run out of mice and Wraith so your cat is the only option."

Hypochondriac
May 22nd, 2007, 05:20 AM
All dead?

I just finished watching the episode, from what I understood there world was destroyed, but they managed to relocate a large number of the population to another planet. Where was it said that there dead

Pets shouldn't be allowed, there is no knowing what they will run in to. Watch the cat accidentally activate some ancient device.

Mousie
May 22nd, 2007, 05:28 AM
Not to mention the cat might die goig through the stargate for all we know.

The cat wouldn't die. It's a life form like all the others that travel through the gate and it doesn't distinguish between them. After all they took mice through and they where ok weren't they?

Maybe they should take animals and let them loose on the mainland. It would be a good way to preserve some of the endangered Earth species!

Alipeeps
May 22nd, 2007, 05:38 AM
Back to teh pet thing, what if the stargate does funny things to the cats brains or something or the cells in their body? You've never seen animals go through the gate, just people. What if people and animals did go through the gate and they got all wonky and McKay came out with a tail and the cat had his head? Poor Zelenka would have a field day.

The cat wouldn't die. It's a life form like all the others that travel through the gate and it doesn't distinguish between them. After all they took mice through and they where ok weren't they?

Maybe they should take animals and let them loose on the mainland. It would be a good way to preserve some of the endangered Earth species!

^What she said. Carson had his experimental mice in the lab back in Hide & Seek so, though we never actually *saw* it happen, animals have travelled through the Stargate with no ill effects. And really, what reason is there to think the Stargate would react differently to animals than it would to humans? We're all just animals to the Stargate - I don't think it tests IQ on the way through.

My main concern in taking animals through the Stargate would be the issue of compromising eco-systems. I guess if you took a cat to Atlantis it would be pretty much contained in the city so that wouldn't really be a problem... (though the above-mentioned issues of e.g. the cat wandering off/accidentally activating dangerous machinery etc would be a definite worry) but if it were ever to get to the mainland it could be a major problem. Introducing a non-native species into an eco-system can have devastating consequences... there have been numerous examples of it just here on Earth, let alone on an inter-planetary scale.

I just finished watching the episode, from what I understood there world was destroyed, but they managed to relocate a large number of the population to another planet. Where was it said that there dead

Umm... take it you haven't seen all of Season 3 yet? :o

vaberella
May 22nd, 2007, 05:55 AM
I'm really going by the tail thing and their body composition---you know four legs thing...than anything else. :D I figured it would make them all weird and stuff---since even humans feel weird the first time around. I thought they'd be all discombabulated (sp?). :D

Schuey
May 22nd, 2007, 06:05 AM
You're talking about Noreena?! That twit. I was so disappointed in that character it was sad. I thought she was going to be intelligent, she didn't understand a thing McKay was saying. I was very upset with her. She was nothing like Allina, who I thought was great. She worked well with Rodney and understood everything he was saying. Not to mention she respected and was totally in love with him...of course that was until he totally mislead her and she got upset. But I always wanted her to come back and hook up with McKay.

Allina was just wicked...I'm not into this boring Katie Brown. Well for McKay it was alway Allina or Cadman, and scientifically both those women were fairly adept and would compliment McKay very well. I would have loved to see them interact with McKay more. Now I have to ask JM about bringing Cadman back...at least in S5. Hoepfully he'll be cool with it....

Oops I joined in the OT strand. Back to teh pet thing, what if the stargate does funny things to the cats brains or something or the cells in their body? You've never seen animals go through the gate, just people. What if people and animals did go through the gate and they got all wonky and McKay came out with a tail and the cat had his head? Poor Zelenka would have a field day.
We have already seen animal go through the gate. Don't know the episode but in season 8 Nishta comes with her people and brings horses through, O'Neill was like WTF!!LOL

vaberella
May 22nd, 2007, 06:09 AM
We have already seen animal go through the gate. Don't know the episode but in season 8 Nishta comes with her people and brings horses through, O'Neill was like WTF!!LOL

Dude... I don't know SG1 from Gargamel's smurf-hungry arse. :D

Alipeeps
May 22nd, 2007, 06:10 AM
I'm really going by the tail thing and their body composition---you know four legs thing...than anything else. :D I figured it would make them all weird and stuff---since even humans feel weird the first time around. I thought they'd be all discombabulated (sp?). :D

Physically though, whether we walk upright or not, we are no different from animals... and there's no reason why the gate would differentiate.

vaberella
May 22nd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Physically though, whether we walk upright or not, we are no different from animals... and there's no reason why the gate would differentiate.

Hey hey, I'm fully aware of that, humans are part of the animal kingdom after all. But I didn't know how the gate would react to different things. So I figured the reason they didn't bring animals was for a specific reason---completely unware that the mouse was there in Hide and Seek. My mistake---because I do remember the comment when McKay was going to be injected with the ATA gene. Just didn't cross my mind, that they woudln't come out all wonky. I figured they would. A rat is still not a person---body chemistry is different, cells are different, organs are different, instinctual abilities are slightly different <----more differences than likeness. Although I am fully aware that we are animals with base instincts, we are also distinctly different from them---or I'd be seeing rat people around, actually I have seen people that resemble rats to me. In any event, I figured due to the differences the gate would work differently.

Alipeeps
May 22nd, 2007, 06:44 AM
Hey hey, I'm fully aware of that, humans are part of the animal kingdom after all. But I didn't know how the gate would react to different things. So I figured the reason they didn't bring animals was for a specific reason---completely unware that the mouse was there in Hide and Seek. My mistake---because I do remember the comment when McKay was going to be injected with the ATA gene. Just didn't cross my mind, that they woudln't come out all wonky. I figured they would. A rat is still not a person---body chemistry is different, cells are different, organs are different, instinctual abilities are slightly different <----more differences than likeness. Although I am fully aware that we are animals with base instincts, we are also distinctly different from them---or I'd be seeing rat people around, actually I have seen people that resemble rats to me. In any event, I figured due to the differences the gate would work differently.

I get what you're saying... I just don't get why you would think that? The differences in body chemistry, organs and instincts etc are merely cosmetic - from an objective point of view, we are all just animals... we and e.g. mice are even the same type of animal - mammals. The only difference that sets humans apart is intelligence. The gate technology creates a stable wormhole that allows matter to travel through it - any kind of matter, be it animal, mineral, vegetable etc. It makes no distinction. Why would it? It doesn't care about the instinctual abilities of the matter that passes through it - anything that passes through the event horizon is demolecularised and then reintegrated on the other side.

If the gate happily transmits and reintegrates human, Go'auld, Wraith, Unas, Nox, Jaffa, androids, replicators, energy creatures, etc etc... then why would it have a problem with animals?

FoolishPleasure
May 22nd, 2007, 06:49 AM
Long ago, I watched an episode of "Enterprise" that revolved around the captain's ill dog. He skipped his duties, wandered aimlessly, choked tears at the animal's bedside as the violins swelled in the background. It was horrible and it was also the last time I stomached "Enterprise".

As JMS said long ago, to make quality stories, skip the cute, cuddly animals and babies. He did, and B5 is classic.

No animals or babies on SGA!

Hypochondriac
May 22nd, 2007, 06:50 AM
Umm... take it you haven't seen all of Season 3 yet? :o

I actually seen season 3 first then 2. So I might have missed that part, what episode of season 3 should I rewatch

vaberella
May 22nd, 2007, 06:54 AM
I get what you're saying... I just don't get why you would think that? The differences in body chemistry, organs and instincts etc are merely cosmetic - from an objective point of view, we are all just animals... we and e.g. mice are even the same type of animal - mammals. The only difference that sets humans apart is intelligence. The gate technology creates a stable wormhole that allows matter to travel through it - any kind of matter, be it animal, mineral, vegetable etc. It makes no distinction. Why would it? It doesn't care about the instinctual abilities of the matter that passes through it - anything that passes through the event horizon is demolecularised and then reintegrated on the other side.

If the gate happily transmits and reintegrates human, Go'auld, Wraith, Unas, Nox, Jaffa, androids, replicators, energy creatures, etc etc... then why would it have a problem with animals?

It's pretty simple why I would think that actually...I have no idea how the bloody gate works except for what I've seen on SGA. Had I remembered Hide and Seek...I would have been, "Oh right, my point is meaningless." Which it was. But I just pictured animal people when I thought of animals going through the gate with people. Maybe it's the Fly concept or something---my brain just went into McKay with a tail. I just see some molecule change and hence the reason no pets allowed. Nothing else to it really. As for the other's you mentioned---if this is mainly SG1 stuff..I don't know who they are.

Alipeeps
May 22nd, 2007, 07:00 AM
I actually seen season 3 first then 2. So I might have missed that part, what episode of season 3 should I rewatch

Vengeance. :) Specifically the opening scene where Sheppard and Weir are explaining to McKay about the mission the team is about to go on.... they mention the people that they have been trying to contact....

Hypochondriac
May 22nd, 2007, 07:01 AM
Vengeance. :) Specifically the opening scene where Sheppard and Weir are explaining to McKay about the mission the team is about to go on.... they mention the people that they have been trying to contact....

Thanks I remember now. At that time I had no Idea who they were talking about.

Alipeeps
May 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM

Ah. In that scene someone (I think McKay?) refers to them as "the volcano people" (and I think Ronon corrects him with "the supervolcano people") and Sheppard specifically makes reference to it being "the least we can do after we got the Orion blown up" or something along those lines....

vaberella
May 22nd, 2007, 07:19 AM

You can pretty much bet a few more sets of people were eliminated along the way. Check out the scene between Weir and Teyla towards the end. Hundreds of those things on several different planets. We're screwed!! <---Thanks Weir!! :D

As for the pet thing...there are creatures in the PG. I mean why don't they bring those and domesticate them. I don't think Teyla's people actually have domesticated animals, but I'm sure there are creatures there. But really who can take care of the animals?

You'll have to curb the animal, wash it, feed it, make sure it takes a walk. How is that done, when you're life is always in danger and you have major missions to take care of. I think the animals would be more so a nuisance than vital to the show, and probably an unneeded distraction.

Heaven
May 22nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
we've already seen a cat go through the gate, phaseshift even..
Schrodiner is the first cat to go offworld
going to atlantis could be dangerous though, he could end up as :wraithanime11: dinner.
we don't know if they like cats :)

Alipeeps
May 22nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
I've known cats that I'd lay money on to come out best in a fight with a Wraith! :lol:

Wormhole
May 22nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Did someone say pets? :D

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3487832/1/

vaberella
May 22nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
I've known cats that I'd lay money on to come out best in a fight with a Wraith! :lol:

How much?! (I'm all about bets now a days!) Kujo pwns all kitties, he'd eat a kitty for an appetizer. I'd put $250 on Kujo.

Huh...wraith vs. anaconda----hmmm....?!

Alipeeps
May 22nd, 2007, 08:34 AM
How much?! (I'm all about bets now a days!) Kujo pwns all kitties, he'd eat a kitty for an appetizer. I'd put $250 on Kujo.

Huh...wraith vs. anaconda----hmmm....?!

I once had a cat that came out best in a fight with a labrador! :lol: Nothing scared that cat.. her attitude was pretty simple really - "My garden. Mine! Anything else comes in here, it's dead." :D

Heaven
May 22nd, 2007, 08:43 AM
:lol: it would be so funny if the wraith were afraid of cats like in The Mummy

vaberella
May 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM
I once had a cat that came out best in a fight with a labrador! :lol: Nothing scared that cat.. her attitude was pretty simple really - "My garden. Mine! Anything else comes in here, it's dead." :D

:lol: I love that...that reminds me of one of the Heathcliff comic strips I used to collect. Too funny!

ChelApophis
May 22nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
If I remember this well , we also saw 2 mice in "Duet" when Cadman is stuck in Rodney's body.
Zelenka uses mice to see how the dart really works , but unfortunetly for the 2 beasts they got toasted!

Bets? Did anyone say bets? I'm betting on the cat! Cat wins , wraith bites the dust;)
http://images0.hiboox.com/images/2107/brpar11l.jpg

http://images0.hiboox.com/images/2107/u6p0uvz2.jpg

rosey_angel
May 22nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
They have mice for lab experiments, i don't find it too unbelieveable that some one would want to keep mice or guinnee pigs as pets. maybe not the air force ppl, but the scientists maybe.

give them some relaxation and some time away from saving the galaxy all the time

Mitchell82
May 23rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
I agree that the cat shouldnt be allowed in the city. Who knows what damage it could do. I know my cats get into everything so just imagine what a cat could do in Atlantis. As to allowing more people in Atlantis, we do have the room but not the power. We only have one ZPM and as such can't power the whole city, also we don't have enough rations to go around.

lunchbox
May 23rd, 2007, 03:13 PM
I agree that the cat shouldnt be allowed in the city. Who knows what damage it could do. I know my cats get into everything so just imagine what a cat could do in Atlantis. As to allowing more people in Atlantis, we do have the room but not the power. We only have one ZPM and as such can't power the whole city, also we don't have enough rations to go around.

We have to realize too that Atlantis is a fictional show. On TV, they wouldn't allow a cat to destroy or mangle everyhting in sight. They'd probably make the hero once or twice al-a Wesley Chruser.

Mitchell82
May 23rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
We have to realize too that Atlantis is a fictional show. On TV, they wouldn't allow a cat to destroy or mangle everyhting in sight. They'd probably make the hero once or twice al-a Wesley Chruser.

Well they let Mckay mess things up.....;)