This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Conference Room-A Thread for Season 4 Peace Talks

I think anyone who has spent much time in the Season 4 forum lately knows that things have gotten rather...ummmm.....tense in places. This thread is being started to have a place where people from both sides of the issues can meet and hopefully come to some understanding of each other, and maybe together we can get a lid on the fandom war going on right now.

This thread was suggested by ToasterOnFire, and I hope she won't mind me using her words to convey the purpose of this thread, because she is more eloquent than I could be.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
    The "us vs. them" mentality is not limited to one group of fans. I've seen pro fans making sweeping generalizations about anti fans, I've seen anti fans making sweeping generalizations about pro fans. I've seen pro and anti fans claim the "true fan" status, thus trivializing the other side. I've seen digs against "the other side" given in both pro and anti threads. I've seen pro fans upset that certain anti fans give out red for praising TPTB/s4 and I've seen anti fans upset that certain pro fans just want them to shut up and go away. And then the actions of these few are extrapolated out and applied unfairly to the whole group (XXX, who is a YYY fan, made a really nasty comment. Therefore, all YYY fans are nasty people. And then a YYY fan reads this opinion, even though they never said anything nasty, and they feel unfairly labeled and lash out in return. Lather, rinse, repeat.)

Quite frankly, I'm getting tired of it all. The fandom around here is really going to pot and I'd love to figure out how all of these different factions can come together or at least stop being so nasty to each other. Otherwise it's going to be a long, LONG wait until s4.
    Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
    I'm very happy to hear that fans of all sorts would like a healthier, more productive, and more tolerant atmosphere here at GW.

We have indeed gone massively off topic on this thread (apologies to the OP ) but I would like this conversation to continue. Would anyone be willing to start an open, honest thread about this for all fans? Alas, my thesis is demanding my time RIGHT NOW. I'd love to have a place where people can post their feelings and reach reconciliations and solutions - no finger-pointing, no adding to the negativity, no generalizing or grouping fans.
    Ok, first of all, this thread is NOT here for various groups to debate their positions. I don't care whether you're Pro-Carter or Anti-Carter or Pro-Season 4 or Anti-Season 4 or some mixture or varient of the above. There are multitudes of other threads to debate and discuss those positions.

What this thread IS for is promoting discussion between the groups and hopefully being able to come to an understanding of each other. What are the issues here? Why is the war going on? What can help?

#1 Rule: Do not attack or criticise another poster for seeing something differently than you. Do not attack or criticise another poster's opinion, NO MATTER WHAT IT IS. This is not the place for that.

#2. Please refrain from making generalizations and accusations about fan groups, whether they are pro or anti.

Please DO talk about what bothers you and how you think things can be better, and be accepting of other people's viewpoints when they differ from yours.

Also, I would like to state that this is not the only thread addressing the issue of fandom wars. There is a thread started by Pegasus_SGA *waves* over in the Characters and Relationships forum. Here is the link, if people would prefer to go over there.

Fandom Wars: A misunderstanding or an inevitabilty?

Also, Suzotchka started another thread awhile back that I just ran across again (I'd forgotten about it honestly ):

Carter & Weir fans discussion thread to promote peace & understanding between us

One point I'd like to make before I post this. Forums like this one are a lot of fun when people can discuss and debate things, but can still be friends. I'm sure it will be no surprise to anyone that I am pretty much anti-carter and anti-ship (I'm on the fence on Season 4 - I see good and bad). However, I've found some people here on this forum on the opposite of those fences that I highly respect, and we've had a lot of interesting discussions. I don't hold their opinions against them, and as far as I can tell, they don't hold my opinions against me. My point is - don't make judgements about people based on their opinions about characters, plots, episodes, ships, etc etc. Try to see the person behind the opinion here, ok?

That's all....go forth, discuss, have fun, make friends....

EDIT: I want to add that if this thread degenerates into another Carter/Weir argument thread, I WILL ask the moderators to close it, if they don't beat me to it. So please....just don't go there. *folds hands imploringly*
    Last edited by TameFarrar; 17 July 2007, 08:47 AM.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

You...You capitallized "Pro" in "Pro-Season 4" but not "Anti"! I call bias!!

Ok, that was obviously a joke, something obligatory in everything I post. Moving on...

Hey! That rhymes! *smack* Ok, moving on.

---

Seriously, it'll be interesting where this thread goes. I have been and always shall be part of the "wait and see" movement, and I try to not put forward my actual position of the show's future too forward...although I think I'm failing that in recent times. Anyway, I'm just going to echo Killdeer and say that, above all else, do not generalize. I've seen this used for both sides to forward an agenda that, at the end, was usually hurtful and untrue. The base of our society is that individuality should be treasured, as far as I can see, and generalization is one of the worst crimes against that.

So don't do it.

If there is one thing I've learned through my years in fandom, is that, by a wiiiiiide margin, there is a lot more resonable fans out there than what I like to call "thick-skulls" who will rant and rave about their position and is incapable of actual discussion. So when debating, remember that the person you're typing to is most likely in the same position as you with a different opinion, and above all try to treat them with respect, and maybe throw in a little snark in there for good measure because, truthfully, snark will set you free.

Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      You...You capitallized "Pro" in "Pro-Season 4" but not "Anti"! I call bias!!

Ok, that was obviously a joke, something obligatory in everything I post. Moving on...

Hey! That rhymes! *smack* Ok, moving on.

Ha! Fixed now!
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
        I think anyone who has spent much time in the Season 4 forum lately knows that things have gotten rather...ummmm.....tense in places. This thread is being started to have a place where people from both sides of the issues can meet and hopefully come to some understanding of each other, and maybe together we can get a lid on the fandom war going on right now.

This thread was suggested by ToasterOnFire, and I hope she won't mind me using her words to convey the purpose of this thread, because she is more eloquent than I could be.

Ok, first of all, this thread is NOT here for various groups to debate their positions. I don't care whether you're Pro-Carter or Anti-Carter or Pro-Season 4 or Anti-Season 4 or some mixture or varient of the above. There are multitudes of other threads to debate and discuss those positions.

What this thread IS for is promoting discussion between the groups and hopefully being able to come to an understanding of each other. What are the issues here? Why is the war going on? What can help?

#1 Rule: Do not attack or criticise another poster for seeing something differently than you. Do not attack or criticise another poster's opinion, NO MATTER WHAT IT IS. This is not the place for that.

#2. Please refrain from making generalizations and accusations about fan groups, whether they are pro or anti.

Please DO talk about what bothers you and how you think things can be better, and be accepting of other people's viewpoints when they differ from yours.

Also, I would like to state that this is not the only thread addressing the issue of fandom wars. There is a thread started by Pegasus_SGA *waves* over in the Characters and Relationships forum. Here is the link, if people would prefer to go over there.

Fandom Wars: A misunderstanding or an inevitabilty?

One point I'd like to make before I post this. Forums like this one are a lot of fun when people can discuss and debate things, but can still be friends. I'm sure it will be no surprise to anyone that I am pretty much anti-carter and anti-ship (I'm on the fence on Season 4 - I see good and bad). However, I've found some people here on this forum on the opposite of those fences that I highly respect, and we've had a lot of interesting discussions. I don't hold their opinions against them, and as far as I can tell, they don't hold my opinions against me. My point is - don't make judgements about people based on their opinions about characters, plots, episodes, ships, etc etc. Try to see the person behind the opinion here, ok?

That's all....go forth, discuss, have fun, make friends....
        *waves back*

And may the fourth be with us....sooner than we hope!

Comment

While a good thread - I think in the grand scheme, there is irreconcilable differences of opinion. However what is, is - and Season 4 is going ahead with Carter.

The only thing as a fellow Atlantis fan I can add is - dont judge a book by its cover. Give it a chance.

If there were no way of getting spoilers or this kind of information, we would all tune in for S4 completely oblivious as to what is going to happen - and then would have to make judgement on the situation only after we had a chance to see it. I guess there is something to be said for not reading spoilers.
          : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
          : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
            While a good thread - I think in the grand scheme, there is irreconcilable differences of opinion. However what is, is - and Season 4 is going ahead with Carter.
            The differences of opinion may be irreconcilable, I agree. However, people can have totally opposing viewpoints and still get along with each other, especially since we're not talking about solving world hunger here. That's what this thread is trying to promote.
            - Life after Stargate -
            sigpic

Comment

The only thing as a fellow Atlantis fan I can add is - dont judge a book by its cover. Give it a chance.

If there were no way of getting spoilers or this kind of information, we would all tune in for S4 completely oblivious as to what is going to happen - and then would have to make judgement on the situation only after we had a chance to see it. I guess there is something to be said for not reading spoilers.
              I totally agree about the reading of spoilers. We all read and prejudge what is to come, and until we've seen the episodes, how can we judge? We can't. I have read some spoilers in the past and thought 'That sounds dreadful!', yet only twice have I come away from an episode not enjoying it after thinking that. Often, I've had to eat my words!

We can go in with preconceived ideas, or keep an open mind. It's up to the inidividual to decide, but if you don't watch, how can you judge? You can't.

I think the problem in the fandom is the same as everywhere in life. Some people look on the bright side of life...I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on....and some just love to be negative, complaining and miserable and that negativity eats away, causing misery and upset, anger, vitriol and sometimes aggression. Now, if a person wants to feel those things, that's fine, as long as they don't direct those negative feelings at others. That's where the trouble starts.

Those who are feeling reasonably happy and positive don't understand why people want to be so negative, and sometimes even revel in that negativity and vice versa. Never the twain shall meet, in some cases methinks. Bottom line for me, it's a tv show. If it doesn't entertain I don't watch. However, I'd never want someone to feel I'd made them enjoy the show they like less because I no longer enjoy it, I'd never want or need them to understand why I didn't like it anymore. Why? Because it's plain selfish. Why try and put a dampener on someone else's enjoyment? Me? I'd just quietly walk away...
              Last edited by Linzi; 20 May 2007, 12:39 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                I think the problem in the fandom is the same as everywhere in life. Some people look on the bright side of life...I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on....and some just love to be negative, complaining and miserable and that negativity eats away, causing misery and upset, anger, vitriol and sometimes aggression. Now, if a person wants to feel those things, that's fine, as long as they don't direct those negative feelings at others. That's where the trouble starts.

Those who are feeling reasonably happy and positive don't understand why people want to be so negative, and sometimes even revel in that negativity and vice versa. Never the twain shall meet, in some cases methinks.
                I think there's a misconception here possibly (just trying to present another viewpoint), and that's that people on the anti side WANT to be negative, they enjoy it. Perhaps that is how it is perceived, but I don't think that is the case. Perhaps in some cases, but not the group as a whole.

Can I ask how you would prefer people with negative opinions handle that? If they genuinely do not like something about the show, or are genuinely upset about upcoming changes, should they just keep it to themselves? Should they go away? Should they fake being happy?

Perhaps another question would be - why are negative opinions a bad thing? On the SG1 side, Vala and Cam are two of my favorite characters, and yeah, it's a little discouraging sometimes to see the amounts of criticism and attacks on them. But I think those people have a perfect right to their opinions, even if I don't agree. Do you see where I'm going with this?

I think there may possibly be a tendency for people who are happy and excited to get frustrated, maybe feel like the anti people are intent on throwing cold water on their fun. Because yeah, it is a downer when you're excited about something, and someone else comes along and posts about how bad it is. I can understand that, really. I've been there. But... everyone sees things differently, and I think in order to get past this fandom war we need to accept that. Not everyone is going to like every character. Not everyone is going to like every change. It's not easy I know. And I think that's why we have pro and anti threads. I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily. Discussion and debate are good things. But there maybe comes a time when people who are excited just want to be excited with other people who are excited like they are. And there comes a time when people who are unhappy with developments want to vent about that in a safe place, without having to feel like they have to defend themselves or their opinions. I don't have an issue with either one. The problem comes when people start labelling or criticizing groups just because they're for or against. Then people get defensive and wars start.

Does that make any sense?
                - Life after Stargate -
                sigpic

Comment

The differences of opinion may be irreconcilable, I agree. However, people can have totally opposing viewpoints and still get along with each other, especially since we're not talking about solving world hunger here. That's what this thread is trying to promote.
                  Without trying to generalise at all (but I have to speak about either side separately, sorry) - it means that people are still going to be left feeling dissapointed, upset, etc. No amount of talking will change what is happening. We can discuss our viewpoints until our fingers are swollen stumps. Its not going to change anything so resolution for the Anti-Group is impossible.

Those in the pro are happy about it all - so honestly - one option to stop the fan-feud is for the Pro to stop replying to the anti. (This includes me) We should just be happy that we are happy with how things are progressing. Our continual replying to the Anti sentiment just fans the feud.

The other is for the Anti to either wait and see - or move on.

Point is - we cant fix any perceived problems in the show in this thread, or any other - nor can we, or should we, be trying to change anyones opinions. What is, is.

I am fine to explain why I am looking forward to it. Its a great show - my favourite in fact. I dont see Carter causing any problems because in my opinion - she can be in Atlantis without it causing any plot problems. She is part of Stargate Command - and so is Atlantis. I am also pro Season 4 because - I love stargate. The humour is wonderful, the stories are gripping, and did I mention its really funny?

parisindy
                  Actually that’s not entirely true my decision not to watch season four was made after watching first strike, (though I was pretty sure after watching Sunday, but the last straw was first strike) i thought it was a horrible episode all around. The spoilers have only added fuel to my fire.

then peoples constant praise of the episode left me feeling alone and exiled, the sheer amount of times i was brushed off like my opinion was worthless, left me very bitter
                  Sorry. My bad on the generalisation - however you are the first I have come across that are not watching based solely on viewing episodes in season 3

Linzi
                  Bottom line for me, it's a tv show. If it doesn't entertain I don't watch.
                  : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                  : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Bottom line for me, it's a tv show. If it doesn't entertain I don't watch. However, I'd never want someone to feel I'd made them enjoy the show they like less because I no longer enjoy it, I'd never want or need them to understand why I didn't like it anymore. Why? Because it's plain selfish. Why try and put a dampener on someone else's enjoyment? Me? I'd just quietly walk away...
                    I think you added this while I was posting. Ummmm. Wow. I guess I'm not sure how to respond to that.

I guess I just don't see it the same way - I'm sorry. I guess I don't just think forums are places only for people who are excited about the show, or that only people who are excited should express their opinions. Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's kind of how I'm understanding you.

I think if anti people were to go into pro threads and talk about their issues, then that would be selfish. And vice versa if pro people were to do that in the anti threads. But just in the normal discussion threads, I don't see how expressing honest opinions is being selfish. And really, I'm really wanting to understand you here, but....isn't wanting the anti-people to go away because they bring the pro-people down also kind of ....well... selfish? I guess I feel like the forum should be open to all views. *shrugs*

Maybe I've totally misunderstood you here, and if so I apologize. I don't mean any offense, truly.
                    - Life after Stargate -
                    sigpic

Comment

I think there's a misconception here possibly (just trying to present another viewpoint), and that's that people on the anti side WANT to be negative, they enjoy it. Perhaps that is how it is perceived, but I don't think that is the case. Perhaps in some cases, but not the group as a whole.

Can I ask how you would prefer people with negative opinions handle that? If they genuinely do not like something about the show, or are genuinely upset about upcoming changes, should they just keep it to themselves? Should they go away? Should they fake being happy?

Perhaps another question would be - why are negative opinions a bad thing? On the SG1 side, Vala and Cam are two of my favorite characters, and yeah, it's a little discouraging sometimes to see the amounts of criticism and attacks on them. But I think those people have a perfect right to their opinions, even if I don't agree. Do you see where I'm going with this?

I think there may possibly be a tendency for people who are happy and excited to get frustrated, maybe feel like the anti people are intent on throwing cold water on their fun. Because yeah, it is a downer when you're excited about something, and someone else comes along and posts about how bad it is. I can understand that, really. I've been there. But... everyone sees things differently, and I think in order to get past this fandom war we need to accept that. Not everyone is going to like every character. Not everyone is going to like every change. It's not easy I know. And I think that's why we have pro and anti threads. I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily. Discussion and debate are good things. But there maybe comes a time when people who are excited just want to be excited with other people who are excited like they are. And there comes a time when people who are unhappy with developments want to vent about that in a safe place, without having to feel like they have to defend themselves or their opinions. I don't have an issue with either one. The problem comes when people start labelling or criticizing groups just because they're for or against. Then people get defensive and wars start.

Does that make any sense?
                      I think negativity is fine, personally, as long as it doesn't consume a person. I've certainly had moments of negativity myself when watching SGA.

I think expressing it is fine too, as long as you don't mock others who are enjoying themselves. This does happen in some anti threads, because I've seen it.

What I meant in my post, is that there are a minority of posters who actually do seem to enjoy being negative, and from my perspective, if you don't enjoy anything in the show anymore, and just feel animosity and anger, why not just move on and find a new interest which makes you happy?

Expressing negativity in general threads is healthy, I think. But it does depend what form that takes. If a poster says why they don't like something, that's excellent, if they post in a discussion thread, 'This stinks, I hate the show. I hate TPTB. Character X has a horrible face and just makes the same expressions all the time. I hate him/her ' that is not productive and can be seen as inflammatory. That's what I find annoying, and I'm afraid many of these minority of posters post exactly the same thing everywhere they go. That IS trying to upset others, and is often completely off topic. Reasoned discussion, and explanation of concerns and dislikes are things I welcome, personally. But, as I said, there are ways of expressing such things logically and politely. Unfortunately when anger and emotions are involved that doesn't always happen.

So, in answer to your question.

As long as people are polite, I respect their opinions, even if I disagree. Many of the points posters put forward, which question decisions are extremely interesting.
                      sigpic

Comment

I think you added this while I was posting. Ummmm. Wow. I guess I'm not sure how to respond to that.

I guess I just don't see it the same way - I'm sorry. I guess I don't just think forums are places only for people who are excited about the show, or that only people who are excited should express their opinions. Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's kind of how I'm understanding you.
                        No, I certainly don't think forums are that either. You totally misunderstood what I meant. There have been instances where posters have come on a thread I've been on and actually tried to derail discussion, again and again promoting their own negative agenda. That is what I dislike, because it is trying to say to others, you're happy, I'm not you will see my point of view, I'm going to take everything you say as a slight to me, I'm upset and I'm looking for trouble. That has been openly said, and that's what I dislike.
                        I think if anti people were to go into pro threads and talk about their issues, then that would be selfish. And vice versa if pro people were to do that in the anti threads. But just in the normal discussion threads, I don't see how expressing honest opinions is being selfish. And really, I'm really wanting to understand you here, but....isn't wanting the anti-people to go away because they bring the pro-people down also kind of ....well... selfish? I guess I feel like the forum should be open to all views. *shrugs*
                        As I said, discussion of opinions in a polite and logical way is interesting no matter the perspective of the individual. Do I want anti people to go away? No, I said if I was so anti, didn't want to watch the show, that I would just go away quietly. I wouldn't need to keep expressing my views about it, because what good would it do? Please, don't try and twist my words. It is selfish to constantly expect people to understand and validate our opinions. We should be secure in what we believe and not need to have others agree with us. Do I think some posters are trying to ruin others fun? On occasion, absolutely.
                        Maybe I've totally misunderstood you here, and if so I apologize. I don't mean any offense, truly.
                        Yes, you have misunderstood. This is one of the main problems with not being able to express opinions while talking to a person. Seeing things written in text is not the same as listening to a voice where a person's intent is obvious. It causes much misunderstanding sometimes. No offense is taken by me, but, reading your post, and bearing in mind the purpose of this thread, your post does comes across as a little self-defensive, as I'm sure does mine.
                        Last edited by Linzi; 20 May 2007, 01:17 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Without trying to generalise at all (but I have to speak about either side separately, sorry) - it means that people are still going to be left feeling dissapointed, upset, etc. No amount of talking will change what is happening. We can discuss our viewpoints until our fingers are swollen stumps. Its not going to change anything so resolution for the Anti-Group is impossible.

Those in the pro are happy about it all - so honestly - one option to stop the fan-feud is for the Pro to stop replying to the anti. (This includes me) We should just be happy that we are happy with how things are progressing. Our continual replying to the Anti sentiment just fans the feud.

The other is for the Anti to either wait and see - or move on.

Point is - we cant fix any perceived problems in the show in this thread, or any other - nor can we, or should we, be trying to change anyones opinions. What is, is.
                          No one in this thread is, or should be, trying to change someone else's opinion about the show or the characters. This thread is specifically not for that purpose. What we are trying to do is possibly change people's opinions about each other, for the better. If people understand each other better, maybe they can deal better with the differing perspectives.

It's cool that you're excited about the show. You don't have to justify or explain that here. In fact, I'd rather people didn't, on either side (no offense meant). But when people start trying to explain or justify their positions on the show, then someone else feels the need to counter that with their own explanation or justification, and then we're just another debate thread. Let's not go there.

I'm not criticizing you, SG13-NightOps, really. Please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to clarify some things for the thread.
                          Last edited by Killdeer; 20 May 2007, 01:29 AM.
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          sigpic

Comment

No, I certainly don't think forums are that either. You totally misunderstood what I meant. There have been instances where posters have come on a thread I've been on and actually tried to derail discussion, again and again promoting their own negative agenda. That is what I dislike, because it is trying to say to others, you're happy, I'm not you will see my point of view, I'm going to take everything you say as a slight to me, I'm upset and I'm looking for trouble. That has been openly said, and that's what I dislike.
                            Yes, I can understand that.

Please, don't try and twist my words. It is selfish to constantly expect people to understand and validate our opinions. We should be secure in what we believe and not need to have others agree with us. Do I think some posters are trying to ruin others fun? On occasion, absolutely.
                            I'm sure that's true. And I apologize for how I came across - I was not deliberately trying to twist your words. I possibly was trying too hard to present the other side of the picture.

Peace?
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes, I can understand that.

I'm sure that's true. And I apologize for how I came across - I was not deliberately trying to twist your words. I possibly was trying too hard to present the other side of the picture.

Peace?
                              And lurve? Indeed!

I meant to say, that when I was talking about posters who are negative, I didn't mean those who have concerns with aspects of the show. I have those too. I meant those who really don't like anything in the show, and don't enjoy anything anymore and who don't want to watch further seasons. Even those who dislike many things may still be looking forward to even just one aspect of future episodes. I didn't make myself clear there.

In fact, I read a lovely post in a thread the other day, which said that though the person was posting in the anti-season 4 thread, that they loved the show, and were upset about one aspect or direction the show was going in. They also said they didn't want the show to end, but were expressing their dislike of a few things. I admire that sort of attitude very much.
                              Last edited by Linzi; 20 May 2007, 01:45 AM. Reason: Can't spell!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X