This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carter FAIR and BALANCED- Pros and Cons for Coming Onboard | SPOLIERS

Why is every thread either "HATE CARTER" or "LOVE CARTER"?

Here now is a new thread to discuss whether or not you think you will like or dislike Colonel (promoted from LtCOL) Carter on Stargate: Atlantis.

No flaming or personal attacks allowed. Just present your arguments for or against having Carter.

Once the character appears on Atlantis for a couple of weeks, then a new thread will appear:

"Carter: FAIR and BALANCED- Pros and Cons for Being Onboard | SPOLIERS"
    Once a MARINE, Always a MARINE

God Bless, Protect, and Speed,

Robert Emmett Stephen Doyle IX

Irish by ancestry, American by birth, but MARINE by the grace of God.
    Fortitudine Vincit, In Deo Speramus, Semper Fidelis

SEMPERTOONS: http://www.sempertoons.com/
    SEMPERTOONS Store: www.cafepress.com/sempertoons

I guess i'll put my thoughts up, even though we have more than enough threads about Carter.

Pro's
    - Will attract loyal SG1 viewers who don't already watch Atlantis.
    - She's only going to be on 14 episodes and hopefully none of season 5. I'll go in with an open mind and hope for the best, but I have my doubts.

Con's
    - Could tank and lose more viewers than it got.
    - McKay - Carter interaction is horrible.
    - Carter is a perfect know it all who everybody will instantly adore.
    - She will most likely outrank Shepherd by then.

I just hope they remember this is Atlantis and not SG1. Write the characters accordingly, not like they wrote McKay when he was guest starring on SG1.
    Kevan Smith: "I shoot it, I go home, I get drunk."

Comment

I really don't have any pros for Carter coming to Atlantis. I fear for the status of the current characters. I feel like they are sending her there to save the day and don't understand why it can't be done by the shows own characters.
      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
      Individuality is freedom lived.
      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

i'm afraid there is nothing FAIR and BALANCED about sam coming over to atlantis
        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
        ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
        Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Chaos View Post
          - She will most likely outrank Shepherd by then.
          ... and?

I think Sheppard is a great character, but IMO Sam deservs to be a higer rank then Sheppard

Pros:
          Has a wide range of skills
          -VERY smart
          -VERY good at combat
          -VERY good with technology
          -Very fast learner
          etc...

She is a nice loveable character, but also has attitude if need be

Cons about her coming over:
          We loose Weir
          She may inadvertantly steal some light from the other characters, but hopefully tptb won't do that

Comment

Pro: We see Carter & Mckay in the same ep's
            that can't be a bad thing

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
              Pro: We see Carter & Mckay in the same ep's
              that can't be a bad thing
              couldn't disagree more rodney acts like a goof when ever she is around
              Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

For me, im not sure one way or the other on how i feel about Carter coming on board the show.

People blame Amanda Tapping for Tori Higginson leaving, but Tori wanted out from the series. This not commonly known. They arrived at a medium of a reduced role for Tori. Amanda's role is for 10 episodes, half of the season.

There have been many reversed roles, SG-1 and Atlantis characters on the other show, in the Stargate universe. Its nothing new.

Major character changes have happened on SG-1: -Daniel Jackson. +Jonas Quinn. -Jonas Quinn. +Daniel Jackson. -BGEN Jonathan 'Jack' O'Neill. +MajGEN Hank Landry. +COL Cameron Mitchell. +Vala Mal Doran. +MajGEN George Hammond. +/-BGEN/MajGEN Jonathan 'Jack' O'Neill. +/-Dr Rodney McKay. +/-Dr Elizabeth Weir.

Major character changes have happened on Atlantis: -COL Marshall Sumner. +/-Lt Aiden Ford. +Ronon Dex. -Lt Aiden Ford. +COL Steven Caldwell. +/-LtCOL Samamtha Carter. +/-BGEN/MajGEN Jonathan 'Jack' O'Neill. +/-Walter Harriman. +/-MajGEN Hank Landry. +/-Dr Daniel Jackson.

Remember when SG-1 Season 9 came around? The joke was ScapeGate: SG-1 because two main characters of FarScape came on board.

Remember when Atlantis Season 3 came around? The joke was Star-Files: Atlantis because a main character from X-Files came on board. Then over the next two year, other characters (minor and 1 main) came in and out of both series.

Dr Carson Beckett asked to leave the show as well. So they kill him in the third season. But theyve already written atleast one script with him returning AND theyve said they will (if he wants to return) bring back the character, alive, in the second half of the season.

Talks are in for both Jackson and Teal'c (has one cameo already announced) to be around once in awhile on Atlantis.

I cannot form an opinion on Carter's permanent appearance on Atlantis until i see the final product.

It was the same thing when O'Neill and Hammond left and Landry, Mitchell, and Vala came.

What is happening to Weir's character? Reduced role in 4th season and taken off credits.
                Why did Tori decide to do this? Not yet released.
                Did Tapping contract force Higginson to leave? Speculative, controversial.
                Why is Carter coming onboard? To become the Atlantis Team Director.
                Will Carter stay beyond 1/2 a season? Unknown.
                What is happening to Dr. Beckett? His character is being killed off.
                Why is Paul McGillion leaving? Not quite clear.
                Why is Beckett returning? Unknown.
                Are these changes necessary? Dont know.
                Are these changes for better or worse? Cant say.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneReconEagle View Post
                  People blame Amanda Tapping for Tori Higginson leaving, but Tori wanted out from the series. This not commonly known.
                  Where do you get your facts from? Just wondering because this conflicts with a recent interview with Torri where she said she wasn't given a choice she was to become reoccurring or she was to leave... she choose reoccurring which indicates to me that she didn't want to leave
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Pros:

- Brings a little SG1 into SGA.
                    - We get another smart/strong/kick ass person on board.
                    - If Weir was to leave I could think of no-one better.
                    - The leader of SGA is AF and scientist, so can relate to military personel and civilians.
                    - We get someone smarter than Mckay...that can never be a bad thing.
                    - We get someone whose somewhat of an expert on other types of tech rather than just Ancient.
                    - We get someone that is used to coming up with brilliant ideas and can easily diffuse high pressure situations.
                    - We get someone whose not arrogant and so WON'T steal focus from other characters. Like on SG1, everyone had their own strength and so looked good in their own field.

Cons:

- The loss of Elizabeth Weir.

And I don't get why some people think she's going to steal focus from Mckay because sure she's a better scientist but she's going to be too busy to deal with 90% of the science on Atlantis, if she's running the place. The whole idea seems ludicrous.

Professor Chaos
                    I just hope they remember this is Atlantis and not SG1. Write the characters accordingly, not like they wrote McKay when he was guest starring on SG1.
                    To me Mckay seems the same from when he made his first appearance on SG1 to how he is right now on SGA. I'm sure Mckay's not going to be completely enthralled by Carter 24/7, he's going to get used to seeing her everyday and get over his obsession, but hopefully not completely as it makes for good comedy.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

It was in an early interview i read online back in February when it was first announced that she was leaving and information Kett said. Kett is an actor liaison for conventions, who keeps regular contact with Tapping, Anderson, and other Stargate regulars. She said that the contact with Tapping was signed two months before it was announced, before Higginson's contract was done.

I havent been keeping up on recent interviews regarding this, basically because i believe that most of its old news rehashed.

Like all actors on series lasting more than three years, they get tired. Maybe at some point she said she wanted to leave because of the long hours or something else. I cannot find any info on a family, so that leaves that out. So when it came down to contract renewal, they remembered it and decided to ax her. By then she probably changed her mind but they did what they did and the rest is history.

This whole thing may just be one big publicity stunt. We dont know. Season 5 is over a year away. The new series is atleast that far away as well.

I like Torri. Loved her since the 1990s in the TekWar movies and TV series. She has barely changed at all. She looks about the same age and she hasnt much weight.

I think/thought that she was a better choice to play Weir on SG-1.

But now she's controversial, just like McGillion. McGillion wasnt even a regular player until this season. Supposedly she will step back and have a role like McGillion had for two years, background but there.

The only real truth is that we only know tidbits of the what happened. Not everything has been revealed. The truth is probably contractual as well, a non-disclosure clause. The whole truth may not come out for months or even a year. It might come out at a convention appearance.

Here is the truth: (Producers/Show + Torri Higginson) / 2 = TRUTH.

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                      Where do you get your facts from? Just wondering because this conflicts with a recent interview with Torri where she said she wasn't given a choice she was to become reoccurring or she was to leave... she choose reoccurring which indicates to me that she didn't want to leave

Comment

well i think we have conflicting facts then because torri's recent interview in stargate magazine seems to indicate otherwise
                        Spoiler:

Comment

It's a thread for weighing up our pro and negative points, not a 'whine and ***** and cry about Carter' thread. And it has nothing to do with wether Weir wanted to leave or not.

Back on track please.

Comment

Facts arent in conflict. Views are.

You are completely ANTI-CARTER and PRO-WEIR. You see no positives in Carter's coming/arrival and all your posts reflect this.

What is the old adage? "Dont believe everything you hear/read."

Torri has her point of view. The show has its point of view. The truth is in the middle, somewhere.

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                            well i think we have conflicting facts then because torri's recent interview in stargate magazine seems to indicate otherwise

Comment

Lets just focus on weighing up the pros and cons of Carter coming over shall we?

Comment

Working...
                              X