Transparent displays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transparent displays?

You've seen them in Stargate Atlantis. You know, the displays that display things, but can be looked through from both sides? Are these actually real displays? I remembe a while back SGI made something like that, or was going to, but I can't find any reference to it now... Anyone have any ideas?

Originally posted by clevere1 View Post
    You've seen them in Stargate Atlantis. You know, the displays that display things, but can be looked through from both sides? Are these actually real displays? I remembe a while back SGI made something like that, or was going to, but I can't find any reference to it now... Anyone have any ideas?
    They're real.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I don't think the one in the show is real. But in general they are real.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroq View Post
        I don't think the one in the show is real.
        Why not? They have the money to buy props like that. Anyway, it would probably be much harder to create a fake transparent display than buy one.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroq View Post
          I don't think the one in the show is real. But in general they are real.
          Why wouldnt it be real?
          sigpic
          Awesome sig by Laura
          "We're eating stardust" ~Mr. R

The randomess that is me
          Nibbles Zane Ducky Pixie Ace Bunny Sally Hunter Kitty

Comment

well, imo they dont, as u saw in the pics the colours arent the best atm, so its alot easier to blue screen it on as the whole front window is bluescreened

Comment

Originally posted by therealdb View Post
              well, imo they dont, as u saw in the pics the colours arent the best atm, so its alot easier to blue screen it on as the whole front window is bluescreened
              Perhaps someone who has actually taken a tour of Bridge Studios and been inside the Atlantis sets could chime in?

Comment

I remember seeing a behind the scenes of Atlantis, and the screens are real, they have projects behind them project the database image on them.

: Green is Good.
                sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

u able to upload a vid or know of any links that have a vid of it?

Comment

Sweet! So they are projection screens? I wonder how the heck you project something like that when people are moving around it.

Comment

theres a scene in one of the early season 1 episodes where you can see one of the projectors on the floor. they project at a steep angle so it would be difficult to get between the projector and the screen. Also I would imagine the actors do what they can not to get in the way of the projectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                        Why not? They have the money to buy props like that. Anyway, it would probably be much harder to create a fake transparent display than buy one.
                        Because those screens are very big, probably cost over 2000$ as a normal screen , not to mention a screen that is curved and without backlight, and generally isn't used, if it actually exists.

Comment

It like a video projector that projects the image onto a thin transparent material. The studio has a very tight budget, or had a very tight budget. Now that they're only producing 20 eps instead of 40 there will be more funds. But they still wouldnt buy that thing especially when you can create the same effect for just a couple bucks.

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

I don't know of any links to put up here, but if you have SGA season 1, you can watch it on there, and you can see the projectors and how they project the image on the screens.

: Green is Good.
                            sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                              Because those screens are very big, probably cost over 2000$ as a normal screen
                              Considering that each episode of SGA costs upwards of 2 million dollars each, paying $2000 for a prop that will get reused every episode is actually an awesome deal.

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                              not to mention a screen that is curved and without backlight, and generally isn't used, if it actually exists.
                              Are we talking about the same display? I was referring to the one in the Atlantis control room, which looks like a big clear window.

Comment

Working...
                              X