This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tollan weapon on atlantis?

Right I was just thinking you know that automated defence system the tollan had to stop attacks on there planet,Remember they gave sg1 the designs to build the cannon's while they would be no good against goa'uld ships would they not not affective against hives because while they have heavy plated hulls they dont have shields so the weapons would not run into the problem they had with the hatak sheilds.I am just spit balling here so don't bite my head off.
    sigpic

Originally posted by The Great Lord Baal View Post
    Right I was just thinking you know that automated defence system the tollan had to stop attacks on there planet,Remember they gave sg1 the designs to build the cannon's while they would be no good against goa'uld ships would they not not affective against hives because while they have heavy plated hulls they dont have shields so the weapons would not run into the problem they had with the hatak sheilds.I am just spit balling here so don't bite my head off.
    In a 'realistic' world, yes, that technology probably would be used, but alas, we would have too much 'power', I mean, a defensive weapon, jebus, we could wipe out all of the wraith and the asurans with that, also it has been forgotten, just like many other things. I'd list some, but I can't remember them.
    "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
    Woman:What
    Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

Comment

Did we really get the designs? Wasn't the deal we were to be given finished cannons made by the Tollan, and after that of course they were wiped out by the Goa'uld
      Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
      Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

why have tollan weapons when drones work just as good if not better , yes those ion canons can cause destructive power but drones can do much better like you can control them to hit vital spots where other guns cant
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
          why have tollan weapons when drones work just as good if not better , yes those ion canons can cause destructive power but drones can do much better like you can control them to hit vital spots where other guns cant
          I am talking as an extra defense
          sigpic

Comment

I am talking as an extra defense
            an extra defence would be
            Spoiler:
            new asgard tech yet we wont be able to make any some time soon
            sigpic

Comment

Do we have the Tollan phase tech? That would be an realy easy way to take out wraith ships. Attach the tech to a missile and it can't be intercepted. All you have to do is program it to return to normal after getting inside the wraith ships.

Guess we don't have it otherwise it would be to easy to kill wraith

Comment

I'll have to re watch this episode. But you're right, the Tollan weapons could be useful in the protection of the City.

Comment

the ion cannon designs we have would do us no good if we can't construct them ourselves. Ion cannons are complex things and i we can't even have basic energy weapons on our ships then how in the world are we meant to construct ourselves our own ion cannons. it's one thing to have the plans but it's something else to actually understand and build such technology.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by hypochondriac View Post
                    Do we have the Tollan phase tech? That would be an realy easy way to take out wraith ships. Attach the tech to a missile and it can't be intercepted. All you have to do is program it to return to normal after getting inside the wraith ships.

Guess we don't have it otherwise it would be to easy to kill wraith
                    Yes they have Merlin's device that allows them to do the exact same thing!

In S9, we saw Mitchell off-world while phased. Carter & Jackson were also out of phase, they found a way to get back to this dimension which in doing so also returned Mitchell back as well, even though he was on another planet at the time.

Therefore all they'd need to do was use it on a 304. Fire a nuke, then while it's only a few m's away from the ship. Phase out. The missile will fire towards the target. Then as the missile goes through the shield & into the target. Phase back, the missile goes back to normal space, then in a sec or 2 will hit the inside of the target. Bang a huge explosion & the nuke detonates taking out whatever it hit.

However they won't use this because it's too easy. Chances are the device will either be destroyed in one of the SG-1 movies or they'll simply ignore it's existence on Atlantis. Just like they did with Zat's, Staff Weapons & so on. They'll probably assume that those who don't watch SG-1 won't know of the device anyhow, while those that do, will end up thinking it's back on Earth always ready to protect the planet in case of an unexpected attack.

I'd love to see Carter bring it over to Atlantis & it be used to help defeat the Wraith & Asurans. However I don't think it will be. If it's there, then Atlantis will always be safe from harm & I don't think the writers would allow that.

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                      We also have a finite number of drones without ancient or asgard manufacturing capabilities.
                      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                      Caboose: They could be worse?
                      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
                        We also have a finite number of drones without ancient or asgard manufacturing capabilities.
                        Not to mention the obscene power requirements to fire enough Drones that would be needed. For a Hive your probably looking at a few hundred. A fleet a few 1000. Which from 'The Lost City' or 'The Road Not Taken' we know Drones can almost deplete a ZPM.

Energy weapons take much less power, allowing you virtually unlimited ammo. Best example, Atlantis attacks a Wraith fleet orbiting Atlantis. There would most likely only be enough Drones to take out a few Hives, Cruisers, Darts. Not only would you quickly run out of ammo, but you'd also run your ZPM right down to the extent that the shield would be down after a very short period of Wraith bombardments on the city.

Take something like the energy cannon in 'Trinity'. Install that on Atlantis. Wraith fleet comes into orbit, you sit safe from behind the safety of the shield. Fire a few well placed shots, cut the Hive to pieces. Then move on to the next one, no worrying about power or ammo.

Had Atlantis done that, then there would have been no siege or anything. Wraith come close to the planet, you take them out from the surface. Of course they didn't & we know what happened because of that!

Comment

But the Tollan Ion Cannon isn't all powerful. Hell, the Goa'uld eventually took the Tollan down.

In retrospect, an Ion Cannon isn't really a physical damage device, it is more likely something designed to cause a major malfunction in all electrical systems, causing critical or catastrophic damage to a ship (ie A Ha'tak), as we don't fully understand Wraith Hives, we don't know how effective this would be.
                          Disliked a recent episode?
                          Hate the current season Stargate Atlantis or SG1?
                          The writers killed off your favourite character?

Well suck it up Cupcake. It is only a Television Show.

Comment

that may be what happens in other shows but if you look at the eps with the ion cannons it just looks like pure kenetic and explosive force.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                              Not to mention the obscene power requirements to fire enough Drones that would be needed. For a Hive your probably looking at a few hundred. A fleet a few 1000. Which from 'The Lost City' or 'The Road Not Taken' we know Drones can almost deplete a ZPM.

Energy weapons take much less power, allowing you virtually unlimited ammo. Best example, Atlantis attacks a Wraith fleet orbiting Atlantis. There would most likely only be enough Drones to take out a few Hives, Cruisers, Darts. Not only would you quickly run out of ammo, but you'd also run your ZPM right down to the extent that the shield would be down after a very short period of Wraith bombardments on the city.

Take something like the energy cannon in 'Trinity'. Install that on Atlantis. Wraith fleet comes into orbit, you sit safe from behind the safety of the shield. Fire a few well placed shots, cut the Hive to pieces. Then move on to the next one, no worrying about power or ammo.
                              Had Atlantis done that, then there would have been no siege or anything. Wraith come close to the planet, you take them out from the surface. Of course they didn't & we know what happened because of that!
                              well actually the weapon was powered by the zpm creating exoctic partical machine, if you need the weapon on atlantis then you will need to power it with a zpm or something similar since that weapon was discharge energy to stop overload to the device. and naq generator wont cut it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X