Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alien worlds... Anyone wish they were more "Alien"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien worlds... Anyone wish they were more "Alien"?

Hey first thread and first post!

Something that I have noticed, and was wondering if anyone else noticed that the special effects on the Worlds that both SGA/SG1 have visited? They don't appear to be as alien as when they first started out. For example, Season 1 of SG1 we were seeing some heavy backgrounds that were completely off the charts (for it's time).

I was just wondering if anyone was as keen as I am in seeing some real nice wide angle shots of a alien sky and landscape from a mountain peak.

Just wish to see the same kind of detail put into the background and lighting on the outside as they put into the wide shots of Atlantis. Or perhaps I'm just bored of looking at the ocean with Atlantis in the middle.

To give you an Idea over what I'm talking about think of the movie "Pitch Black" or something along those lines.
    Godspeed!

i think its to save money on a show that has fans more interested in the characters within the story than a cg nature show?

just thinkin aloud here?
    The Advertisements MGM never wants you to see!!

Comment

Yeah you see some prity interesting stuff from orbit perspective (nothing grand though it's there). It just gets to me whenever I hear a scientist go on about a unique vegitation/planet and there is nothing really "unique" about it.

Wide shot's aren't that hard to come up with as they generally don't have to do much except sit there and maybe move slightly. Anyone with photoshop can come up with one in around 3 hours providing they know what they are doing.

I agree about the character comment though, it is more about the characters. Though every once and a while SGA/SG1 hits you with a special effect that takes you away from the characters. Just wish it was about the landscapes/lighting of a planet. Like Sheppard making a comment about the view...
      Godspeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Konan View Post
        Yeah you see some prity interesting stuff from orbit perspective (nothing grand though it's there). It just gets to me whenever I hear a scientist go on about a unique vegitation/planet and there is nothing really "unique" about it.

Wide shot's aren't that hard to come up with as they generally don't have to do much except sit there and maybe move slightly. Anyone with photoshop can come up with one in around 3 hours providing they know what they are doing.

I agree about the character comment though, it is more about the characters. Though every once and a while SGA/SG1 hits you with a special effect that takes you away from the characters. Just wish it was about the landscapes/lighting of a planet. Like Sheppard making a comment about the view...
        well those cg guys do like a compliment once in a while... i agree that there should be more "alien" landscapes but when you think about the physics of it, if they were too alien how would humans live there? in terms of atmosphere and vegetational requirements... i mean see "red sky" of SG1 season 4 or 5 i think

Comment

Purple skies and pink rocks, you mean? Classic Trek-style.
          I don't mind if nearly every planet looks like Canada. I'm not watching for the scenery.
          sigpic
          "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova View Post
            I don't mind if nearly every planet looks like Canada. I'm not watching for the scenery.
            so long as i dont see any obvious reference to maples im happy lol

Comment

The Stargates have always been "low budget" shows. Their budgets are huge like on some other shows where they blow millions every week on CG.

And we love Stargate for so much more than their CG. It'd be boring with CG-fests and episodes with random weird stuff just for the sake of it.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                The Stargates have always been "low budget" shows. Their budgets are huge like on some other shows where they blow millions every week on CG.

And we love Stargate for so much more than their CG. It'd be boring with CG-fests and episodes with random weird stuff just for the sake of it.
                mind u we love a good space battle if its well written??

Comment

Originally posted by Maltrancko View Post
                  i mean see "red sky" of SG1 season 4 or 5 i think
                  Or maybe "Window Of Opportunity"? Maybe it's all in the camera angle and what the camera is focusing on? You can have a paradise (with a Saturn like moon in very close orbit), and show it with intensity behind a character. But they don't cause it's easier to point the camera angle from high up and facing nothing but the grassy ground or a tree line or a town building, cause let's face it... Their cars and vans are probably near by... Just a green sheet here and there!!... Sigh
                  Godspeed!

Comment

mind u we love a good space battle if its well written??
                    Indeed... Though (maybe?) take it to the surface, and not in the space ships? Or in space?
                    Godspeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova View Post
                      But a blue Star/Sun is generally pretty cool no?
                      Godspeed!

Comment

I'd love to see them get away from the Medieval/Renaissance style that they use for so many villages...

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                          I'd love to see them get away from the Medieval/Renaissance style that they use for so many villages...
                          True, but they spent a lot of time and money on that set so it has to earn its keep. While we're on the subject I'm also fairly tired of the recurring 'desert', 'abandoned quarry' and 'forest' sites that are now cropping up in SGA as well. But that's ok if they save up their money and CGI for the occasional honkin' great space battle.
                          sigpic
                          "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

i think its to save money on a show that has fans more interested in the characters within the story than a cg nature show?

just thinkin aloud here?
                            Of course. I mean, who would watch freaking STARgate to get a show about exploration of alien worlds, while we can get a show about lame main characters penned by writers who seem more interested in sitcoms instead?

Really...
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Hey, if you want to pay them the needed money to go that extra step, then all the power to you.

In the meantime, they're going to use that money in things that actually matter a bit, like actors and sets.

Comment

Working...
                              X