Newbie Question about Violence and Gore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Question about Violence and Gore

Hey folks! I've recently started watching this show, and it looks pretty good. There is just one problem.

I'm ok with regular violence, I mean, a guy kicking the crap out of another, or some broken nose and bleeding, that's fine by me. However, I hear there are cut-up hands and opened-up heads? That might be a little too much for me.

Still, I'm not going to let that stop me watching this thing, but I'll need to prepare for them. I know the cut-up hand happens in the pilot, but when does the opened-up heads appear? And, are there any other gory scenes like these?

Thanks guys!

This show definitely has alot of gore so if you're a bit squeamish, be warned! But with that said the show is fantastic and worth watching even with the gore. (I suggest perfecting the art of holding your hand up and covering the screen like I used to do in those "Oz" shower scenes )Also, I'm not sure when the "cut-up heads" start happening. It's either the first or second episode. Enjoy!
    sigpic

Comment

Yikes, you got that right; I almost saw someone's chest getting...uh..."zipped up".

Why the gore? Why so much?

Comment

The gore consists mainly around three characters. Claire, Peter, and Syler. Or than them it is pretty tame. At least that is what I have noticed.

: Green is Good.
        sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

The bloody violence, the gore, the number of times certain character(s) have sufferd terminal dislocations, it all adds a sense of realism to a show about mutant superheroes! xD
          It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

First off Welcome PG15, You'll love the show.

This king of stuff has been in comic book for some time and because it’s a comic book turned in to a TV show there is no big surprise here for me. There has not been anything done as a 'shock value' violence in the show has at no time have it thought 'now that was not needed'. It always has a reason and they just don’t imply what is going on, they show it. Even when Claire had her flesh burnt off by Ted, it was done tastefully and it was what it was.
            Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Comment

Originally posted by Doze View Post
              First off Welcome PG15, You'll love the show.

This king of stuff has been in comic book for some time and because it’s a comic book turned in to a TV show there is no big surprise here for me. There has not been anything done as a 'shock value' violence in the show has at no time have it thought 'now that was not needed'. It always has a reason and they just don’t imply what is going on, they show it. Even when Claire had her flesh burnt off by Ted, it was done tastefully and it was what it was.
              I agree. Since the beginning of the show, my brother and I have talked about how close this show is to a comic book. Character relationships, couping with powers, and character choices (their morals). And the best part is, just when you think you have figured something out, "a curve ball" comes and changes everything. That is what makes this show awesome. Good call, Doze.

: Green is Good.
              sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Oh, I know about the plot twists and stuff like that, after all, that's why I'm thinking of watching this show; I have no doubt it's awesome.

Great, now she gets her flesh burnt off? Which episode is that?

Seriously, how is this stuff being allowed at primetime?!

Comment

Its pretty much a given when Claire shows up, there will be blood, so far if I recall correctly, she's pushed a rib in, had her neck broken, tree limb in the head, showed on an autospy table with her chest cut open, burned. The only real scene I had a problem with, thought it was too much, was the autospy scene, that a bit much, other than that the gore is fairly tame.

With Sylar, you will see people getting their head sliced open or at least the after effects for the most part.

Nikki/Jessica had a few bloody scene's, people ripped apart some corpses.

Peter has a few bloody scenes, not much though.

Overall, this isn't a real gory show, its on prime time TV, its nothing you'll see compared to something on HBO.

Good news, on the 19th, Sci-fi plans on running a Heroes marathon from 8am, showing all the episodes leading up to the season finale on Monday.

Comment

Realism.

Get use to it.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      Oh, I know about the plot twists and stuff like that, after all, that's why I'm thinking of watching this show; I have no doubt it's awesome.

Great, now she gets her flesh burnt off? Which episode is that?

Seriously, how is this stuff being allowed at primetime?!
                      Initially I felt the same too, but then..... :

I don't watch all of the following shows but I'm pretty certain that:

a) They contain the same amount as or more gore/violence than Heroes
                      b) They are as popular or more popular than Heroes
                      c) And they broadcast at the same time or later than Heroes (which I believe to be 9pm according to Wiki)

Bones, CSI, X-Files, NCIS, Law & Order, Cold Case, ER, Greys Anatomy, House, 24

- cop shows, Medical Dramas etc

All very popular, all very intense and all very gorey
                      Last edited by jazz!; 13 May 2007, 02:46 PM.
                      It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

I don't find any of the things in this show disturbing since the violence and gore(although I find that term too hard for Heroes) is used to tell the story,to create an image,make it more realistic.If u take everything out u might just as well make it a soap-opera.
                        For example there are movies like say Hostel and many others for which gore and violence are at the core of the story,the story is just there to give a reason for a lot of blood and limbs flying all over.
                        Seriously,it's not like people don't see blood and some sort of violence everyday around them or on the news and such.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          Hey folks! I've recently started watching this show, and it looks pretty good. There is just one problem.

I'm ok with regular violence, I mean, a guy kicking the crap out of another, or some broken nose and bleeding, that's fine by me. However, I hear there are cut-up hands and opened-up heads? That might be a little too much for me.

Still, I'm not going to let that stop me watching this thing, but I'll need to prepare for them. I know the cut-up hand happens in the pilot, but when does the opened-up heads appear? And, are there any other gory scenes like these?

Thanks guys!
                          Well, there has been a little bit of 'gore' but honestly I've seen more body parts & innards on 'Crossing Jordan' & 'NCIS' than on 'Heroes'.

"It matters little how we die,
                          so long as we die better men
                          than we imagined we could be -
                          and no worse than we feared."

Comment

People do get mangled up a bit, but they usually set it up in advance so it's not like a horror movie where someone might just randomly get something severed or decapitated out of nowhere. There is usually enough time to look away and wait for them to heal. Every time Claire shows up in early episodes she's gonna either do something bad to herself or something bad is gonna happen to her. Anytime Peter falls it's not gonna be a pretty landing. When Sylar opens up people's heads, they don't show the actual act of him popping their heads off, they just kinda imply it followed sometimes by the body without a top of the head on the floor, but they don't really focus on it usually. So there is some violent stuff, but it seems pretty easy to avoid, although I haven't personally tried. You just gotta keep in mind that other more grounded shows often tease something bad happening to one of the main characters, but then don't do it. Heroes probably will do it if the character will be able to come back from it.

Comment

Originally posted by ranlynn View Post
                              Well, there has been a little bit of 'gore' but honestly I've seen more body parts & innards on 'Crossing Jordan' & 'NCIS' than on 'Heroes'.
                              Agreed!
                              Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Comment

Working...
                              X