X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gate - Dean Devlin: Collider.com - Video Interview

From Collider.com:

Dean Devlin – Exclusive Video Interview

And he gives an update on the future of STARGATE movies and more.

http://www.collider.com/entertainmen...id/4344/tcid/1

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Dean Devlin – Exclusive Video Interview
    5/11/2007
    Posted by Frosty

I attended the 2007 Saturn Awards last night and got to interview a ton of people. Between today and tomorrow I’ll be posting a ton of video interviews so make sure to check back.

This interview is with Dean Devlin – the producer of "Stargate", "Independence Day" and "Flyboys."

While the interview was quite short he talked about the "Stargate" movie franchise. He said the straight to DVD movies that are coming (2 of them are coming) are taking precedence over any movie for the big screen.

He said "Stargate" was the first part of a proposed trilogy and he would love to make parts 2 and 3.

The interview is under 3 minutes if you’d like to watch. And the voices you hear are other people asking questions. The red carpet is a crazy place to try and cover…

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Hey, that was great. Will be back for more.
    Wouldn't it be fab to see those two mentioned near the end again?
    sigpic
    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Straight to DVD is the future.....I have stopped watching movies in theaters...

They are going the way of the Drive in movie.....if anyone remember what that
      was :lol.
      Last edited by dec55; 12 May 2007, 09:49 PM.
      Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Originally posted by dec55 View Post

Somehow I have a feeling you're right. The majority of movies made by Hollywood simply sucks. I haven't seen anything halfway decent by them in years and I'm not holding out any hope. George Lucas himself has said that the future of movies will be overrun by the Indepedent Films people.
        Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

Hmm. You know... Devlin is awesome for creating the Stargate world in the first place... but I always get a sick feeling in my stomach when I hear him mention how he wants to continue his version.

I mean, I understand that it started out his, and it was taken away from him. That sucks, and I feel for him. But it's been TEN YEARS!

It's been out of his hands all this time... it's like when a pet dog runs away. You find out he's been living down the street for a decade. Well, by now he's theirs, no matter how much you loved him in the beginning. That's kind of how Stargate is like. He made it and nurtured it, but when it was taken from him, it grew up into a healthy greyhound. Him picking it up again would be like killing his original dog, getting a new one, and giving it the same name and pretending nothing ever happened.

UNLESS he followed the established canon...... that could actually be pretty sweet.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Comcast (for those non-US fans, Comcast is a major cable TV/internet/and now phone provider in the US), is trying to make arrangements to show movies on their pay-per-view as they're released to theaters.

Here's a link to an article:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...tory?track=rss

An excerpt:

"Stephen Burke, Comcast's cable president and chief operating officer, told an audience at an industry conference this week that several studios were "very interested" in the idea of allowing cable providers to charge $29.95 to $49.95 to watch an opening-day movie at home. He said it would increase studio revenues rather than cannibalize them, if handled properly."

Yikes! $49.95 to watch a movie at home?

Now...I DO remember Drive In Theaters. Our family went to them all the time. Heck, I used to go to a Drive In up until the mid-90's quite regularly. I used to swing shift (3-11pm), and when I got off work, I'd go to the Drive In, and catch the "B" movie, and the second run of the "A" movie. Of course, I'd usually be the only one there at 4am.

When I was kid, we moved to a new housing development. Behind our house was a HUGE open field, and then there was a Drive In. The screen faced our back yard. On Saturdays, we'd sneak into the Drive In in the afternoon, and turn all the speakers up at the back of the theater. Then we'd sit out on our back deck, and watch (and listen) to the movie for free.

Ah...those were the days.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

His production company has a website in which he posts on the forums.

Here is the link to the Stargate Questions thread in which he has responded before.

Stargate Thread

Comment

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper View Post
                Hmm. You know... Devlin is awesome for creating the Stargate world in the first place... but I always get a sick feeling in my stomach when I hear him mention how he wants to continue his version.

I mean, I understand that it started out his, and it was taken away from him. That sucks, and I feel for him. But it's been TEN YEARS!

It's been out of his hands all this time... it's like when a pet dog runs away. You find out he's been living down the street for a decade. Well, by now he's theirs, no matter how much you loved him in the beginning. That's kind of how Stargate is like. He made it and nurtured it, but when it was taken from him, it grew up into a healthy greyhound. Him picking it up again would be like killing his original dog, getting a new one, and giving it the same name and pretending nothing ever happened.

UNLESS he followed the established canon...... that could actually be pretty sweet.
                I hear you, but I have to say Devlin/Emmerich had an opportunity to do an immediate sequel after the first was released, but opted to make Independence Day instead. That was their decision to leave. It was just MGM's decision to not put the franchise on hold indefinitely. I for one am glad that they created the series, as it has taken the franchise in an amazing direction. Let's face it too, for all of Devlin's platitudes (IMHO) about creating a sequel, he has never had a good track record of following through on sequels. For example, FOX practically begged D/E to produce a sequel to Independence Day for years, but they would never actually do this. I really don't think they would have done a sequel to Stargate back in the '90s either, but it's really convenient for him to want to make a sequel now that his own career has taken a downward spiral and the franchise he created has become more popular than ever.

The dog analogy is a good one. Another way to think about this is to consider someone who had abandoned a girlfriend/boyfriend 10 before only to see them again. By then their former love had moved on was now happier, more attractive, and had a family of her/his own. Basically, this formerly abandoned one would no longer need the one who had abandoned them. I hope that makes sense. I for one hope there are never any SG sequels other than SG-1 related ones.

Comment

Originally posted by DanJack View Post
                  I hear you, but I have to say Devlin/Emmerich had an opportunity to do an immediate sequel after the first was released, but opted to make Independence Day instead. That was their decision to leave. It was just MGM's decision to not put the franchise on hold indefinitely. I for one am glad that they created the series, as it has taken the franchise in an amazing direction. Let's face it too, for all of Devlin's platitudes (IMHO) about creating a sequel, he has never had a good track record of following through on sequels. For example, FOX practically begged D/E to produce a sequel to Independence Day for years, but they would never actually do this. I really don't think they would have done a sequel to Stargate back in the '90s either, but it's really convenient for him to want to make a sequel now that his own career has taken a downward spiral and the franchise he created has become more popular than ever.

The dog analogy is a good one. Another way to think about this is to consider someone who had abandoned a girlfriend/boyfriend 10 before only to see them again. By then their former love had moved on was now happier, more attractive, and had a family of her/his own. Basically, this formerly abandoned one would no longer need the one who had abandoned them. I hope that makes sense. I for one hope there are never any SG sequels other than SG-1 related ones.
                  Agreed!

I don't know about just SG-1... I figure anything within the canon of the universe. I'd take an Atlantis movie, Universe movie, or a standalone as long as it was in the same universe.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

I rarley go to the movies anymore, why pay $9+ for a ticket when I can get it from Netflix and watch it in the comfort of my home and not deal with crying kids and cell phones.

Comment

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper View Post
                      Agreed!

I don't know about just SG-1... I figure anything within the canon of the universe. I'd take an Atlantis movie, Universe movie, or a standalone as long as it was in the same universe.
                      Very true. I often think of them as extensions of the same show. You're right though, as long as it is in the same universe and follows the same continuity as SG-1/SGA (or future series in the same universe), I would watch any SG related movies.

Comment

If Devlin wants to make more Stargate movies, more power to him. It was his project originally, just because someone else took the concept and ran with it doesn't mean he can't still build off the core idea. Why should he be forced to give up his ideas just because of SG-1/Atlantis?

The dog/girlfriend analogies don't work for me at all. This was Devlin's project originally, wasn't it? Not some thing he just picked up off the street and tossed out again when he was done.

As for the whole "it's been ten years" shtick, yes, it HAS been a long time and maybe that'll be a factor, but I invite you to peruse the "If you could bring back one show" thread where several of the shows mentioned have been off the show for years (in some cases, even more than a decade) and yet some fans still have an express interest in seeing those shows continue. Why shouldn't a creator be allowed that same right? And if he has the ability to make it happen, why deny him? Just because you (generally speaking) think SG-1 is better? Fine. Don't go to see (or rent) the movie if/when it comes out. No one is forcing you to accept both, but why condemn even the possibility of another Devlin movie even existing? Why dismiss it? Isn't there enough room in the universe for both SG-1 and the original? Maybe the movie will appeal to those who didn't like the series. Or maybe it will find a whole new audience to draw in- both to Devlin's 'verse and to Brad Wright's.

Comment

Originally posted by DanJack View Post
                          I really don't think they would have done a sequel to Stargate back in the '90s either, but it's really convenient for him to want to make a sequel now that his own career has taken a downward spiral and the franchise he created has become more popular than ever.

:lol You got it backwards....SG1 got canned..and the ratings on the last few eppys
                          is in a nose dive.....so far..

Dean's show the Librarian just swept the Scifi Saturn awards..and is good
                          standing with cable channel TNT.... plus is still one of the popular cutting edge producers in
                          Hollywood... He was the 1st to promote a movie (Stargate) on the internet....

DeanDevlin: Remember, STARGATE was the FIRST to truly use the internet to promote a movie. Now everyone does it
                          http://www.scifi.com/transcripts/sci...eanDevlin.html
                          Awards
                          'THE LIBRARIAN: RETURN TO KING SOLOMON'S MINES' TAKES HOME SATURN AWARDS GOLD
                          Dean Devlin's action-adventure franchise takes home another win
                          By SEAN ELLIOTT, Senior Editor
                          Published 5/11/2007
                          http://www.ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=4446

More stuff:
                          Written by Robert Sanchez
                          Sunday, 13 May 2007

One of the men behind ID4, Stargate and Godzilla looks ahead to more futuristic science fiction with the long gestating Isobar.

ImageI have to give props to Dean Devlin, he has been involved in some of the biggest sci-fi movies of all time but he is always looking to further the genre.

Devlin is busy trying to bring the futuristic sci-fi thriller Isobar to the big screen.
                          http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...2478&Itemid=99

If Stargate is lucky Dean will be able to get a movie going....and maybe
                          get TNT to do a revamped Sg1...
                          Last edited by dec55; 20 May 2007, 02:37 PM.
                          Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

If Stargate is lucky Dean will be able to get a movie going....and maybe get TNT to do a revamped Sg1...
                            Mmm... No. Devlin had nothing to do with SG-1 (and has made no secret of his hatred for it) and that's the way it should stay. Having another SG-1 based off the movie(s) and unrelated to the current TV show bearing the name would be incredibly confusing. I also don't think that the current SG-1 needs any saving. It's wrapped and there will always be movie options, but I think there's enough material left in the show-verse that re-doing (or resurrecting) SG-1 as a TV show isn't necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                              Mmm... No. Devlin had nothing to do with SG-1 (and has made no secret of his hatred for it) and that's the way it should stay. Having another SG-1 based off the movie(s) and unrelated to the current TV show bearing the name would be incredibly confusing. I also don't think that the current SG-1 needs any saving. It's wrapped and there will always be movie options, but I think there's enough material left in the show-verse that re-doing (or resurrecting) SG-1 as a TV show isn't necessary.
                              Yeah I agree the series is finished. The DVD movies is just another avenue to tie up loose ends for the series guys. Stagate Universe's future IMO depends on how the new revamped SGA with AT does. So far the show has gotten 1.3 to 1.4 million viewers...low by last years standards. But higher than SG1 this season.

With Devlin in the mix for the theatrical movies...it will have Russell and Spader back on the cast. MGM may want to try something different if SGA does not improve on the ratings either. Or Stargate
                              Universe doesn't get past the planning stage.
                              Last edited by dec55; 20 May 2007, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X