PDA

View Full Version : Sony shutting down Stargate boards

prion
May 8th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Sony is shutting down the SG1 and SGA boards, but direct you to the new MGM SG promo site, which has no boards, which sorta sucks

http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/

Uh, please note it's just these two boards. Probably a financial decision to save somewhere.

kadosho
May 8th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Some publicity stunt on their part. Just curious what they might be up to though.

brod
May 10th, 2007, 01:33 AM
They all work fine for me.

Agent_Dark
May 10th, 2007, 02:09 AM
lol bl.

Wraith_Boy
May 10th, 2007, 05:24 AM
They all work fine for me.

That's because they are running till May 16th!

Now that the new Stargate Official Site has launched at http://stargate.mgm.com, these message boards will close on May 16, 2007. We appreciate all of your support and encourage you to keep discussing Stargate at the official site and Stargate fan sites.

The MGM Online Team

SG-17
May 10th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Wow, Ive been gone longer than I thought. Well start posting threads about coming over here to the GateWorld forums.

Mandysg1
May 10th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Geez, that's the board I was run off of.

Pitry
May 10th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Geez, that's the board I was run off of.

...And now you can never come back :)

Madeleine
May 11th, 2007, 04:10 AM
For the record, we have a policy of not allowing dissing of other boards. It's partly an extension of the rule that invites us all to respect other people, and partly because we wouldn't like it if our members were dissed on another forum, and partly it's a right-of reply thing: nettiquette and not criticising people behind-their-backs-in-public and all that.

I hope anyone who is going to miss the Sony boards finds a nice place they can visit instead.

Skydiver
May 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM
it's just simple economics.

sony will no longer be dealing with the show since it's cancelled, so why spend time and money on a bulletin board???

they'll let scifi and mgm shoulder the burden....and fans :)

prion
May 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM
it's just simple economics.

sony will no longer be dealing with the show since it's cancelled, so why spend time and money on a bulletin board???

they'll let scifi and mgm shoulder the burden....and fans :)

They're shutting down both SG1 *and* SGA boards. SGA is still going on...

Willow'sCat
May 11th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Well I don't think I have ever used them so I guess I won't miss them, but it seems odd to be doing this now when you would think the show/s need as much stability in their fandom as possible, not this sending folks off to other places, which no doubt will just lead to a general lack of enthusiasm for the Gates full-stop.

Or am I giving boards/forums too much credit for keeping fandoms active and interested in shows? :S Some one did say the new site (MGMs) doesn't have a board/forum, right?

prion
May 12th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Well I don't think I have ever used them so I guess I won't miss them, but it seems odd to be doing this now when you would think the show/s need as much stability in their fandom as possible, not this sending folks off to other places, which no doubt will just lead to a general lack of enthusiasm for the Gates full-stop.

Or am I giving boards/forums too much credit for keeping fandoms active and interested in shows? :S Some one did say the new site (MGMs) doesn't have a board/forum, right?

I believe that MGM supposedly is going to have a board up which they shoudl get up and running before they axe the Sony boards.

Truskawka
May 12th, 2007, 12:42 PM
They're shutting down both SG1 *and* SGA boards. SGA is still going on...

I guess it's because Sony is no longer directly involved in shows' production/DVDs. Let's hope MGM's Stargate community sites for both shows open forums when Sony's are closed.

Truskawka
May 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Yet. They promised us a forum, so let's hope it's gonna happen when Sony's are axed.

Darren
May 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Sony no longer manages the Stargate franchise -- hasn't since last June or so -- so I think they're finally getting around to closing the board after letting it stay online an extra year.

monkey_man132
May 12th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Quick question: Isn't that board kind of like a forum? Why not just come here to Gateworld Forum? Gateworld owns! ;)

Skydiver
May 12th, 2007, 07:12 PM
different people like different places

every board has its own flavor and some prefer one board over another

monkey_man132
May 12th, 2007, 07:15 PM
different people like different places

every board has its own flavor and some prefer one board over anotherWoah! I just took a closer look at that forum and the moderator page looks a lot like GW forum moderator page. Come to think of it they look a lot alike. I feel bad for the people with all those thousands of posts being thrown away. I, of course, enjoy this forum better it has a more Stargate feel to it with the names as ranks instead of just "senior member".

Saul Tigh
May 12th, 2007, 07:17 PM
good never liked those board anyway. :cool:

Willow'sCat
May 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Sony no longer manages the Stargate franchise -- hasn't since last June or so -- so I think they're finally getting around to closing the board after letting it stay online an extra year.But Sony is still the major player in MGMs life, I know they have a weird relationship but they are two sides of the same coin. I don't see why MGM couldn't have just moved the boards? Rented them from Sony. Seems really stupid to make people start all over again, especially when only the hard core fans actually think this franchise has a future beyond this year. :cool:

Business confuses me. :S

Easter Lily
May 13th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Never bothered with those anyway...
Were they very popular?

prion
May 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Never bothered with those anyway...
Were they very popular?

They seemed to be. Every fan finds their own place where they're most comfortable.

Darren
May 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM
But Sony is still the major player in MGMs life, I know they have a weird relationship but they are two sides of the same coin. I don't see why MGM couldn't have just moved the boards? Rented them from Sony. Seems really stupid to make people start all over again, especially when only the hard core fans actually think this franchise has a future beyond this year. :cool:

Business confuses me. :S
They are partners, but business is business. Sony is a very large company and won't be going out of its way to do anything it doesn't have to. And given that the Stargate section is entirely integrated with the rest of their forum, I'm not even sure how they would go about transferring the posts and user data to MGM, even if MGM did manage to configure a new board on the same software.

MGM is still trying to figure out what they want to do online, and I can't imagine adopt-a-board being something they could accommodate, even if they wanted to.

Skydiver
May 14th, 2007, 05:01 AM
and, when you get right down to it, the suits don't care about fans and their posts and the like. why deal with gigs and gigs of data transfer, the tech issues caused by incompatible software/hardware and the headaches of 'you lost my avatar' when they can - if they want a board - just start a new one from scratch????

start from teh ground up, with whatever rules they want, and lose any excess baggage that will just be an issue later

why import hundreds/thousands of defunkt user names and accounts that have been abandoned or are sock puppets?

Truskawka
May 16th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Sony boards have just been axed.

prion
May 16th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Sony boards have just been axed.

Yup, I went there earlier tonight and went "already?" sheesh.

Wormpaul
May 27th, 2007, 08:17 AM
i thought they got rid of the board ages ago? i remember it being a great board to go onto wheni first got into stargate, but then boards stared disappearing then i found SG sites such as this.

Looks as though they don't really bother don't it

FinalMacGyver
May 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Sony needs to get rid of the stargate franchise rights all together and let someone who know's how to run it, run it.

Pitry
May 28th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Sony needs to get rid of the stargate franchise rights all together and let someone who know's how to run it, run it.

Problem: They don't own the rigths, MGM does.