Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Numb3rs: Discussion, spoilers, and everything else....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numb3rs: Discussion, spoilers, and everything else....

Hey, I've only ever started one other thread on Gateworld, so I'm not sure how this is going to work, but is anyone else interested in discussing this show? NCIS, Numb3rs, and Stargate Atlantis are my three favorite shows. I love the team/family aspect of all of them. I don't think there's a character on Numb3rs I don't like. Don, Charlie, Allan, Megan, David, Colby, Amita, Larry, even Milly. Although I'm still reserving judgment on Liz Warner.

The last episode I saw was #3-20 "Burn Rate".

Spoiler:
    Diane Farr (Megan) is still out on maternity leave, and I'm thinking that's why Liz has been brought in. The news article I read about Diane having a baby boy said that Megan would be back for the season finale. I'm looking forward to that. They've kind of played up the romance between Don and Liz - not so excited about that, not sure why.

Anyway, I think the show is awesome. Anyone else want to discuss?
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Re: season finale:

What?!?!? I don't even know what to say. For two years he's been a what?!?!? Him?!?!? I really don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
      Re: season finale:

What?!?!? I don't even know what to say. For two years he's been a what?!?!? Him?!?!? I really don't think so.
      Killdeer, thanks for starting this thread. I haven't found too many people interested in this show on the net.

@ Callista, about the season 3 finale. OMG. My jaw was about to hit the floor when I watched the season finale.
      Spoiler:
      The more I think about it though the more I'm thinking (and hoping) there's something going on we don't know. I can't imagine Colby a traitor.

Comment

Talk about a kick in the gut! Never saw that coming!

Spoiler:
        I love Colby! He's awesome! I really can't believe this. I think something else is going on. I won't believe Colby is a traitor. That just doesn't make a bit of sense. I've been searching around to see if I could find something. I did find this:

Spoiler:
        Someone on another forum confirmed that Dylan Bruno is NOT leaving the show. I'm hoping hoping hoping that's accurate. So... I don't know what they're doing, but I'm SO hoping that all is not as it seems.
        - Life after Stargate -
        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
        sigpic

Comment

Agree to all that, Killdeer. ^^ Once I got over the shock, I started to think about it and wonder if something wasn't going on and whether it could be
          Spoiler:
          Colby is pretending to work for the Chinese (I think it is), for the US.

Comment

Originally posted by SGLAB View Post
            Agree to all that, Killdeer. ^^ Once I got over the shock, I started to think about it and wonder if something wasn't going on and whether it could be
            Spoiler:
            Colby is pretending to work for the Chinese (I think it is), for the US.
            I agree that that's it- it was a great ep, but quite the puzzler with a resounding "what the frak?" at the end. (after I picked up and re-attached my jaw)

Comment

For my Numb3rs friends, few though we be!

Here's what we've been waiting to find out - Casting spoilers for S4 under the cut!

Spoiler:
              Question: We just watched the season finale of Numbers and found out that Colby (Dylan Bruno) was a spy! Do you have info on what's going on with Dylan Bruno? Is he really off the show?— Karen
              Ausiello: Nah. Per executive producer Cheryl Heuton, "Dylan Bruno is not leaving the show. He will be back next season as a regular character. Fans will have to tune in next season to find out how Colby Granger's arrest for espionage is going to play out." Heuton confirms that new mama Diane Farr will also be back full-time next season. Meanwhile, "If fans thought the final episode of Season 3 was big, wait until September," she teases. "The Season 4 opener is even bigger."
              Source: TVGuide - Ask Ausiello. May 23rd, 2007
              - Life after Stargate -
              sigpic

Comment

I'm not surprised. ^^ Once I thought about it like I said I figured something more was going on than we knew. It will be interesting to see how this unravels.

I was just thinking about the show while looking at some other threads. The Kavanaugh threads that just popped up made me think of this. One of the many things I love about Numb3rs is how they treat guest characters. They're often shown as characters that are there to really contribute something to the episode as opposed to being there just to be antagonistic toward our main characters. I'm talking about the guest characters that are LEO's from different agencies.

There's one guy who has been on a few times that I really like. I can't remember his name, but he's the uniformed police officer who works in the gangs section of the PD. He started out as a bit rigid and old school not willing to listen to Charlie's ideas. But the more he's appeared he's really evolved and grown as a character.

I also like that they allow those guest characters to be right at times just as they'll allow our main characters to be fallible and wrong at times. It's nice to see a show that doesn't have guest characters there solely to make the main characters or the "Heroes" look good all the time while the guest characters look stupid and like jerks all the time.

Comment

Wow, very insightful post. I can only say I agree. I love Stargate, but it definitely has its failings, especially when it's measured against a show with quality writing and character development.

It makes me think - I was completely devastated after the season finale, but I've gotten over it fairly quickly and now I'm really excited to see where the writers take us next, especially with Colby's and Megan's storylines. That doesn't exactly describe my reactions to recent Stargate news. *rueful grin* But Numb3rs, unlike Stargate, has yet to let me down, and I fully expect this next season to be awesome.

I'm not intending to make this into a Stargate bashing post. Your post just got me thinking and comparing, and comparing my reactions to the two shows.

The character you're talking about is LA Police Lt Gary Walker, played by Will Patton, and I completely agree with you on this. I thought the last episode he was on, "End of Watch", was fantastic. He really put in a terrific performance.

They've had some other great guests. The only two coming to mind right now are Joshua Meeks, who played Cicero in SG1's Bad Guys, and Lou Diamond Phillips, who plays the sniper.
                  - Life after Stargate -
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm terrible at remembering the names of the recurring characters on the show.

I'm usually comparing Numb3rs to The Sentinel myself. TS is pretty much the same callibre (maybe even a bit lower) as the stargate shows.

I've kind of learned to accept SGA will never do certain things I'd like it to do or as well as somethings like Numb3rs.

I'm not a big shipper by nature, but sometimes a pair will get my attention. Numb3rs is a show I think does it well. And as much as I like the idea of a certain pairing on SGA, I never want to see any ship between main characters on the show.

Numb3rs just offers many different types of relationships and does it well. I just love the relationship between Charlie, Don and their father. I love Charlie's relationship with Larry.

I don't think there's a single character I don't like on this show. But I have to say I love Megan. She's my favorite female character on TV right now. It's unfortunately rare for there to be a really well written female character in TV it seems.

Okay, I think I rambled on enough about this show for now and it's past my bed time. I could really go on about it.

Comment

Originally posted by SGLAB View Post
                      I'm terrible at remembering the names of the recurring characters on the show.
                      imdb.com is a great cheat sheet.

I'm usually comparing Numb3rs to The Sentinel myself. TS is pretty much the same callibre (maybe even a bit lower) as the stargate shows.
                      I've never watched TS. I read a lot of fanfiction for it a couple years ago, then kind of got burned out after reading my way through the Cascade Library. Actually, whenever I get really depressed about Stargate, I just compare it to Smallville, and I feel much better about Stargate.

I've kind of learned to accept SGA will never do certain things I'd like it to do or as well as somethings like Numb3rs.

I'm not a big shipper by nature, but sometimes a pair will get my attention. Numb3rs is a show I think does it well. And as much as I like the idea of a certain pairing on SGA, I never want to see any ship between main characters on the show.

Numb3rs just offers many different types of relationships and does it well. I just love the relationship between Charlie, Don and their father. I love Charlie's relationship with Larry.
                      I so completely agree. I'm not a fan of ship on SGA either. If people want to pair characters, I don't have a problem with that. Just don't put it on the show. But the Numb3rs relationships are all done so very well. Don and Charlie, the boys and their father, the interteam relationships, all of it. I love the way they usually always close the episode with a shot of the family.

I don't think there's a single character I don't like on this show. But I have to say I love Megan. She's my favorite female character on TV right now. It's unfortunately rare for there to be a really well written female character in TV it seems.
                      Ummm. I'm not wildly crazy about Liz Warner. I don't hate her, but somehow she just doesn't seem to fit for some reason, at least to me. And her relationship with Don is the only one on the show I'm kind of iffy on. Not sure why.

But yes, I love Megan. Yeah, she's probably my favorite too. I also like Stella Bonasera on CSI:NY, and Abby and Ziva on NCIS. And there are some others. But yes, thinking about it, Megan would be my favorite. She's awesome.

Okay, I think I rambled on enough about this show for now and it's past my bed time. I could really go on about it.
                      Yeah, me too! Good night!
                      - Life after Stargate -
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                        Wow, very insightful post. I can only say I agree. I love Stargate, but it definitely has its failings, especially when it's measured against a show with quality writing and character development.

It makes me think - I was completely devastated after the season finale, but I've gotten over it fairly quickly and now I'm really excited to see where the writers take us next, especially with Colby's and Megan's storylines. That doesn't exactly describe my reactions to recent Stargate news. *rueful grin* But Numb3rs, unlike Stargate, has yet to let me down, and I fully expect this next season to be awesome.

I'm not intending to make this into a Stargate bashing post. Your post just got me thinking and comparing, and comparing my reactions to the two shows.

The character you're talking about is LA Police Lt Gary Walker, played by Will Patton, and I completely agree with you on this. I thought the last episode he was on, "End of Watch", was fantastic. He really put in a terrific performance.

They've had some other great guests. The only two coming to mind right now are Joshua Meeks, who played Cicero in SG1's Bad Guys, and Lou Diamond Phillips, who plays the sniper.
                        I really like Lou Diamond Philips's character as well, same with Gary Walker. Not particularly fond of Liz Warner though, she's pretty boring.

I notice in all this season four cast talk, there hasn't been any mention of Larry's status.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                          I really like Lou Diamond Philips's character as well, same with Gary Walker. Not particularly fond of Liz Warner though, she's pretty boring.

I notice in all this season four cast talk, there hasn't been any mention of Larry's status.
                          I find I like Liz much better when I'm not thinking of her as Don's love interest, for some reason. I like the actress, but.... I think I would like the actress better in something else.

Veering wildly off-topic, the first time I saw her was as a cop in the very shortlived NBC cop show Hawaii, about three years ago. Did anyone catch that? I started watching because I was a big Magnificent 7 fan at the time, and Michael Biehn was one of the leads. But the two characters that caught my attention were not the leads, but a couple of cop partners, Edwards and Gains. They completely stole the show for me! I was so disappointed when it was the first show cancelled that season. Obviously not everyone shared my taste. That really shouldn't be a surprise to me by now.

Veering back on topic.....Larry! You know, it never even occurred to me that he wouldn't be coming back!

*stops and thinks about it*

*goes away to google the actor*

Well, here's sort of an answer, if you want it!

Spoiler:
                          According to petermacnicolonline.com,

5/15/07: CBS renewed Numb3rs for a 4th season and will
                          remain in its current time slot, Fridays at 10 pm. Peter is not
                          on the cast list for next season.
                          Well, that's disappointing. Maybe he might be around for some recurring appearances? Hmmm. That's kind of a downer.

Maybe his role in 24 is expanding?

- Life after Stargate -
                          sigpic

Comment

I find I like Liz much better when I'm not thinking of her as Don's love interest, for some reason. I like the actress, but.... I think I would like the actress better in something else.

Veering wildly off-topic, the first time I saw her was as a cop in the very shortlived NBC cop show Hawaii, about three years ago. Did anyone catch that? I started watching because I was a big Magnificent 7 fan at the time, and Michael Biehn was one of the leads. But the two characters that caught my attention were not the leads, but a couple of cop partners, Edwards and Gains. They completely stole the show for me! I was so disappointed when it was the first show cancelled that season. Obviously not everyone shared my taste. That really shouldn't be a surprise to me by now.
                            I knew I had seen her on something other than Numb3rs. I watched Hawaii for the same reason as you. And liked the same two characters as you. Unfortunately I felt Michael Biehn just phoned in his performance on that show.

But back to Liz, she doesn't even really hit my radar so to speak. I don't even really think about her as part of "The Cast". And I generally don't think about her much one way or the other when she's on. The last couple of times she's been on I've felt like she's kind a place holder for Megan.

Veering back on topic.....Larry! You know, it never even occurred to me that he wouldn't be coming back!

Spoiler:

Well, that's disappointing. Maybe he might be around for some recurring appearances? Hmmm. That's kind of a downer.

Hopefully he's at least recurring. I can live happily with that.

On The Sentinel Jim Ellison always seemed to cop an attitude towards LEOs (Law Enforcement Officers) of other agencies. Part of it was that he didn't want to work with someone outside the division for fear they might realize he had heightened senses, but generally it was just a lame attitude. And of course he was always right when the other LEOs were wrong.

Comment

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt he's even going to be back on 24, with the show being re-vamped and all. Larry is my favourite character.

Comment

Working...
                              X