X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New & Improved Rail Guns

JM just posted a concept pic in his blog of the new updated RG design:

Rail Gun Pic

When first looking at it, I though that was a new form of energy weapon that they'd be introducing in S4. Although after reading further on down the page it was revealed to be a Rail Gun.

The only real good thing about seeing that instead of an energy weapon would be that it looks to be portable, although that may be the way they're put on the 304's, but it reallyu does look like it's mounted on a portable platform than anything else. So maybe they are installing them on Atlantis, for events like 'The Siege II'.

Spoilers for 'The Seer':

Spoiler:
    In 'The Seer', it's announced that Hive's are headed towards Atlantis once again. So maybe that's why they're being brought in.

The second thing, is to see if they've been improved via use of the Asgard knowledgebase. So maybe they're able to shoot into orbit this time & reach Wraith ships!
    Last edited by Major Tyler; 01 May 2007, 04:07 AM. Reason: hotlinking is prohibited

umm thats alot of barrels...

Comment

Originally posted by JM
      the possibly new and improved rail gun
      possibly...

that means it has not been modeled out or animated. season 4...I think not.
      Visit my Website

Comment

... That's a very big gun... I wonder how fast that thing would shoot.... How many bullets a second.... A gun like that would be very powerfull.

Comment

Originally posted by Saris View Post
          ... That's a very big gun... I wonder how fast that thing would shoot.... How many bullets a second....
          Let's just say a LOT more than conventional weapons. Systems that use electronic ignition for conventional projectiles can achieve the rate of fire of one million rounds per second. This thing would probably be about the same, but it would launch the projectiles themselves at speeds of some 20 000 meters per second.
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

why not just
            Spoiler:
            use the energy weapons we now have

Comment

because both projectile and energy weapans have their place

its possible projectile weapans work better against the wraith

That and maybe our ships dont put out enough power to use energy weapans or something

Comment

Mind posting a link? Because I cant seem to find it.

Best Stargate quote:
                Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
                  Mind posting a link? Because I cant seem to find it.
                  Re-Uploaded to ImageShack this time:

Rail Gun Pic

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                    Re-Uploaded to ImageShack this time:

Rail Gun Pic
                    Wow that is cool..

Comment

looks nice and very automatic as cant see any 1 trying to stand behind it and fire it ? maybe something to an AA site ? looks good though

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                        Let's just say a LOT more than conventional weapons. Systems that use electronic ignition for conventional projectiles can achieve the rate of fire of one million rounds per second. This thing would probably be about the same, but it would launch the projectiles themselves at speeds of some 20 000 meters per second.
                        Not to sound like a jerk or anything but, what gun anywhere shoots 1 million rounds per second? And I dont necesarrily mean rate of fire, I mean what gun can you find that actually fires off a million a second and keeps shooting.
                        www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                          Not to sound like a jerk or anything but, what gun anywhere shoots 1 million rounds per second? And I dont necesarrily mean rate of fire, I mean what gun can you find that actually fires off a million a second and keeps shooting.
                          No weapons can fire that!

I think the poster was referring to 'Metal Storm', which is a weapons system that could theoretically fire up to a million round per minute.

Cnn Article

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                            possibly...

that means it has not been modeled out or animated. season 4...I think not.
                            Obviously it can't be animated as they're either just shooting the ep now or will be in the near future. If it's a portable version, then they'll create a real life replica. If it's on a 304 which it doesn't look like it will be imo, then it'll all be digital.

He also posted a concept drawing of a probe alongside it that will be appearing, looks like it'll be from 'Travelers'. While another map drawing from 'Reunion'. As well as a chair from 'The Seer'

If it was an energy cannon, then maybe you'd be correct in saying about it not happening in S4, but it's only a rail gun. The fact that S4 hasn't aired nor finished even filming the 1st half of the season yet. Not to mention the guarantee of a S5. Kinda would be the most pointless thing that many people will have ever seen. Why waste time & resources on something that won't be happening for at least another year, when there is nothing to suggest they'll even be in employment this time come next year.

Not only will it be in S4, it may even be appearing much earlier than I myself expect. I'm going for the mid-season 2 parter. Although since it came in with much earlier eps, then maybe Carter brings it through with her when she arrives in Atlantis.

Comment

A rail gun or guass gun would need barrels a little further apart than that. That looks more like a metal storm type gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X