PDA

View Full Version : New & Improved Rail Guns

Wraith_Boy
April 30th, 2007, 06:43 PM
JM just posted a concept pic in his blog of the new updated RG design:

Rail Gun Pic

When first looking at it, I though that was a new form of energy weapon that they'd be introducing in S4. Although after reading further on down the page it was revealed to be a Rail Gun.

The only real good thing about seeing that instead of an energy weapon would be that it looks to be portable, although that may be the way they're put on the 304's, but it reallyu does look like it's mounted on a portable platform than anything else. So maybe they are installing them on Atlantis, for events like 'The Siege II'.

Spoilers for 'The Seer':

In 'The Seer', it's announced that Hive's are headed towards Atlantis once again. So maybe that's why they're being brought in.

The second thing, is to see if they've been improved via use of the Asgard knowledgebase. So maybe they're able to shoot into orbit this time & reach Wraith ships!

Milleniumlance
April 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM
umm thats alot of barrels...

ManiacMike
April 30th, 2007, 08:44 PM
the possibly new and improved rail gun

possibly...

that means it has not been modeled out or animated. season 4...I think not.

Saris
May 1st, 2007, 12:55 AM
... That's a very big gun... I wonder how fast that thing would shoot.... How many bullets a second.... A gun like that would be very powerfull.

Womble
May 1st, 2007, 03:51 AM
... That's a very big gun... I wonder how fast that thing would shoot.... How many bullets a second....
Let's just say a LOT more than conventional weapons. Systems that use electronic ignition for conventional projectiles can achieve the rate of fire of one million rounds per second. This thing would probably be about the same, but it would launch the projectiles themselves at speeds of some 20 000 meters per second.

marty2006
May 1st, 2007, 04:20 AM
why not justuse the energy weapons we now have :S:S

HAL
May 1st, 2007, 09:37 AM
because both projectile and energy weapans have their place

its possible projectile weapans work better against the wraith

That and maybe our ships dont put out enough power to use energy weapans or something

freyr's mother
May 1st, 2007, 09:50 AM
Mind posting a link? Because I cant seem to find it.

Wraith_Boy
May 1st, 2007, 10:10 AM
Mind posting a link? Because I cant seem to find it.

Re-Uploaded to ImageShack this time:

Rail Gun Pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/grannie_mac/DSC04409.jpg)

garhkal
May 1st, 2007, 11:35 AM
Re-Uploaded to ImageShack this time:

Rail Gun Pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/grannie_mac/DSC04409.jpg)

Wow that is cool..

InoXIo
May 1st, 2007, 04:08 PM
looks nice and very automatic as cant see any 1 trying to stand behind it and fire it ? maybe something to an AA site ? looks good though:D

Jimbo-DR
May 1st, 2007, 04:51 PM
Let's just say a LOT more than conventional weapons. Systems that use electronic ignition for conventional projectiles can achieve the rate of fire of one million rounds per second. This thing would probably be about the same, but it would launch the projectiles themselves at speeds of some 20 000 meters per second.

Not to sound like a jerk or anything but, what gun anywhere shoots 1 million rounds per second? And I dont necesarrily mean rate of fire, I mean what gun can you find that actually fires off a million a second and keeps shooting.

Wraith_Boy
May 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Not to sound like a jerk or anything but, what gun anywhere shoots 1 million rounds per second? And I dont necesarrily mean rate of fire, I mean what gun can you find that actually fires off a million a second and keeps shooting.

No weapons can fire that!

I think the poster was referring to 'Metal Storm', which is a weapons system that could theoretically fire up to a million round per minute.

Cnn Article (http://www.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/06/26/australia.metalstorm/)

Wraith_Boy
May 1st, 2007, 06:35 PM
possibly...

that means it has not been modeled out or animated. season 4...I think not.

Obviously it can't be animated as they're either just shooting the ep now or will be in the near future. If it's a portable version, then they'll create a real life replica. If it's on a 304 which it doesn't look like it will be imo, then it'll all be digital.

He also posted a concept drawing of a probe alongside it that will be appearing, looks like it'll be from 'Travelers'. While another map drawing from 'Reunion'. As well as a chair from 'The Seer'

If it was an energy cannon, then maybe you'd be correct in saying about it not happening in S4, but it's only a rail gun. The fact that S4 hasn't aired nor finished even filming the 1st half of the season yet. Not to mention the guarantee of a S5. Kinda would be the most pointless thing that many people will have ever seen. Why waste time & resources on something that won't be happening for at least another year, when there is nothing to suggest they'll even be in employment this time come next year.

Not only will it be in S4, it may even be appearing much earlier than I myself expect. I'm going for the mid-season 2 parter. Although since it came in with much earlier eps, then maybe Carter brings it through with her when she arrives in Atlantis.

morrismike
May 1st, 2007, 06:37 PM
A rail gun or guass gun would need barrels a little further apart than that. That looks more like a metal storm type gun.

ManiacMike
May 2nd, 2007, 01:17 AM
or he could be just tossing out a weapon concept to make the fanboys jizz in their pants.

Ohhhh new gun *e-wanks* :cameronanime10:

Then maybe this is just a concept and they modeled it a while ago, and this is just a snippit of what were going to see. I say its coming with Carter on her "new ship" ;)

Womble
May 2nd, 2007, 01:28 AM
I was talking about the theoretical rate of fire- and yes, I was using Metal Storm as an example. Obviously, a loading mechanism capable of holding a million rounds would have been a bit tricky to create, transporting such a load would have been a major logistical pain and the gun would use up all its ammo way too fast. Not to mention that all current rail gun prototypes suffer from massive rail damage with each shot (although trinium would probably solve this one).

I suppose a "proper", high-rate-of-fire railgun would require a dedicated spacecraft built entirely around it- basically a flying ammunition storage vehicle with a railgun at the front and a pilot/gunner in the cockpit, carrying out a swift strike and retreating to reload.

Davesg-43
May 2nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
maybe they beam the ammo in

techjunkie
May 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
I don't think it's supposed to be a rail gun. Or an energy weapon.

I believe it's a take-off of the 'Metal Storm' weapon being field tested by the US Marine Corps. It's real, although the version shown on Canadian TV (Future Weapons on Discovery Channel) only has 9 barrels.

I'm unable to find a web entry for it, so the name may be incorrect.
Edit - thanks for the CNN article... this was it!

Essentially is a series of tubes with stacks of very small, flat projectiles. Think of a penny, distorted into a cone. The tip of the projectile is tungsten. Between each projectile, is a layer of very high explosive. Electrically primed, each tube can fire a massive stream of kinetic projectiles. Think 'bang' - fire - 'bang' - fire, etc. etc, but at an incredibly high rate. If I remember, it fires faster than the current Phalanx system.

Initial testing has shown that the first projectile has a shorter range than last one fired, so a 'spear' like column of highly energized tungsten steel is created. The longer the burst, the more penetrating (and devastating) the effect.

By clustering the firing tubes, you can create a number of different firing modes. You can have a machine gun like effect, the spear-like effect (anti-Armour), or a massive area denial effect. It is even being considered as an anti-aircraft weapon.

The value for the weapon is multiple; variable effect, excellent range, and very few moving parts as it is electrically fired. Replacing ammunition is simple, the rods are swapped out during maintenance. or in the field. Munition rods are stable to ship, and easy to load.

The biggest 'thrill factor' about the weapon is in it's ability to generate a Firestorm-like effect at the target area. The longer the burst, the more intense the resulting heat and damage. In the TV demo, they could 'cut' through Armour quite easily - creating massive amounts of molten metal flowing through the other side.

The only negative to the weapon seems to be it's incredible recoil.

Just my 2-bits worth.

Tech Junkie

ManiacMike
May 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
I don't think it's supposed to be a rail gun. Or an energy weapon.

I believe it's a take-off of the 'Metal Storm' weapon being field tested by the US Marine Corps. It's real, although the version shown on Canadian TV (Future Weapons on Discovery Channel) only has 9 barrels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFmQW-1W2Ys&mode=related&search=

that one has 36 barrels.

I've seen metal storm come out with anti-tank guns that auto track, I've seen 36 barrel mortar shots. This thing is a monster. It would probably fire continuously if it didn't have to reload.