PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to see a perm Ancient?

Professor Chaos
April 29th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Well, I for one think it would be cool if we found an Ancient who lasts more than 1 ep. They could have been in stasis or Ascended or whatever. I think it would make some interesting stories even if it was only for 1 season, but preferably a permanent replacement for Teyla who I never really liked as a character IMO.

And I don't want to hear any "they can't make them too powerful" **** because 1 Ancient isn't going to make a whole lot of difference against the Wraith when the whole civilization couldn't beat them. More likely it would just give us a much needed edge.

Edit: By Ancient I mean a less condescending/arrogant one. Similar to Janus from 'Before I Sleep' I think the ep was called.

Another thought is who would like to see Shepherd find out he in an Ancient?;) He could have been descended like Daniel and sent to Earth. He subconsciously joined the Air Force because he used to be a pilot/Supreme Commander Sheppherd of the Ancient fleet (that would be awesome. pay homage to the greatest alien ever, Thor.).:P The rest was just a happy coincidence.

Wraith_Boy
April 30th, 2007, 01:00 AM
It does offer something up that would be unique in the whole of the SG Universe, including SG-1. Which is real life living Ancients in the flesh. The gate builders in person back in the galaxy once again.

They really had an opportunity to do something in 'The Return' with this, however took the easiest choice that they could & alas they are no more.

It would obviously have to be done correctly, for instance saying 1 Ancient wouldn't make a bit of difference to the overall outcome may be wrong in some regards. If it was a top scientist, they could show how to build ZPM's, Drones, Energy Weapons, Cloaks etc. Then if the Atlantis team had such abilities seeing what they've been able to accomplish thus far with limited tech & resources, I couldn't see them being stopped the way the enemies have been portrayed thus far in the show.

However, they could bring in perhaps a younger one that was still learning, so while smart, doesn't know how to create all the best Lantean tech as of yet. They'll need to learn & teach themselves via the database. Maybe a military officer & so on.

What I'd have done with 'The Return' was have the Lanteans return, banish the humans from their city. Force them to go elsewhere in Pegasus. Say the sister city seen in 'The Tower' where they need to start from scratch again. Have the Asurans attack, but the Lanteans repel them from that moment on.

They play this out for a while, where humans are vulnerable in a damaged underpowered city with no weapons. They could show how the Lanteans struggle to think of them as equals, as well as other sides of the Ancients.

It really would be interesting & would force them to think a lot more carefully regarding their storylines & plots. However, I simply can't see them doing it myself.

Raj_2006
April 30th, 2007, 03:41 AM
maybe have an anicent that has lost some of there memory.

Professor Chaos
April 30th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I'd love to see a scientist and have them work with McKay. Maybe similarly to how Hermiod and McKay worked together.:D

Why have a younger one or one with amnesia? As much as it seems like 1 Ancient could single handedly win the war, just remember, the Ancient race as a whole couldn't win it.

Edit: I wouldn't want more than 1 Ancient. If there were several they would consider themselves in charge and that wouldn't work out for obvious reasons. Also, i'd like to see some individual interaction between the Ancient and the expedition.

wise one
April 30th, 2007, 04:08 AM
but now that there are limited wraiths that would even the odds since there only a few hives ships out there maybe 30 left, if atlantis just go hunting with nukes or cloaked puddle jumpers with nukes on it then that will give atlantis a edge but then again its sucide.

what ever happended to chaya in season 1 she is an ancient who protected her planet from the wraith and other illness. john said that he will visit her but then after that nothing, story shoved at the back of a shelf

monkey_man132
April 30th, 2007, 06:56 AM
It would be nice to have a cool smart person on the team like McKay but better. It could be like in Star Trek where they always have a smart science officer thats an alien.

ussrelativity
April 30th, 2007, 07:03 AM
I have been working on a fanfic series that does address this. Feel free to read what I've done so far.

P-90_177
April 30th, 2007, 07:36 AM
It would be nie to have a cool smart person on the team like McKay but better. It could be like in Star Trek where they always have a smart science officer thats an alien.

there was hermiod.

Wraith_Boy
April 30th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I'd love to see a scientist and have them work with McKay. Maybe similarly to how Hermiod and McKay worked together.:D

Why have a younger one or one with amnesia? As much as it seems like 1 Ancient could single handedly win the war, just remember, the Ancient race as a whole couldn't win it.

Edit: I wouldn't want more than 1 Ancient. If there were several they would consider themselves in charge and that wouldn't work out for obvious reasons. Also, i'd like to see some individual interaction between the Ancient and the expedition.

The Ancients couldn't win it because they didn't have the correct mindframe that's required for waging war. Much like the Asgard when they came up against the Replicators, like the Ancients their idea was to keep on building bigger & better, yet humans stepped up with primitive weapons & tactics that got the job done. Those in Pegasus had millions & millions of years of evolution unchallenged by any enemy that we know of. Then bang along came the Wraith out of the blue, possessing technology that was inferior but good enough to get the job done, significant ship numbers & a ruthlessness that gave them a vastly superior mindframe to wage war.

Even when the Lanteans returned in 'TR1' after 10,000 years away, they didn't find it prudent to raise their shields at an approaching Asuran Warship. They were overconfident in their own abilities not even thinking once that the Asurans could have advanced in such a long time. Meaning they could pose trouble & cause them problems.

Humans don't have any such weakness, they have vast experience in war & it's tactics over the centuries. So despite the Lanteans having better tech, the humans have the best way to maximise their vastly inferior technology to it's fullest extent.

For instance, humans took a cloak, cloaked it & fitted it with a nuke. Lanteans could make cloaks, so why didn't they think of such a tactic, that way it would have been 1 PJ per Hive & they'd have got the Wraith done easily.

We know Hives are unshielded, Lanteans had energy weapons that could cut open their ships with ease. Therefore why not install them on Atlantis. Fire them from the city into orbit & destroy any incoming Wraith fleets, just like what was done in 'Trinity'.

Lanteans developed nanites that ended up not working & causing them more problems at an especially un-needed time as they were really losing the war against the Wraith at the time. Yet humans managed to create a retro-virus that temporarily works against the Wraith. All that needs to be done is gas a ship, disabling all Wraith in it, then when it's lying there totally helpless & not firing back at you, swoop in & blow it's ass up. The move on to the next one.

If humans could build ZPM's, Drones, Energy Weapons, Cloaks & the like, they'd use it far more effectively & get the job done correctly against the Wraith. For instance see what the Lanteans & the Atlantis expedition did in 'Echoes' to save themselves from the sun. Which solution was more effective? That kinda proves the point of the ways that it would be used.

For reasons such as that, they obviously can't have Ancients fully helping them every week, it really would make things far too easy. So they'd need to strike a counter balance between the 2. Either have the Lanteans back in the galaxy, but going it on their own to begin with. They find a Lantean in stasis, either a younger member, or a regular one that perhaps lost vital parts of their memory because they were in stasis for so long. So they spend their time trying to slowly remember how to do this & that.

If they can do it in Atlantis, then it'd obviously need to translate into any other Stargate shows also. So it's not just this show that they need to think of. For instance, the enemy in the new show wouldn't be very scary, if they could build ZPM's at will & always be safe behind uber powered shields.

In 'The Return' they did have such an opportunity, they were a crew aboard a warship. So didn't need to make any they kept around scientists. There could have been some soldiers, technicians etc. Who could be recurring, but wouldn't automatically give them all the uber tech that the Lanteans had.

It would be good to have some Ancients on the show, although I somehow think that we most likely won't be seeing any in Atlantis (at least any who surive beyond the ep that they initially appear in).

PG15
April 30th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I don't.

An Ancient being back on Atlantis basically mean that it'll be the end of the "explore-the-city" stories since the Ancient would tell us what to avoid and what to investigate, and the sense of danger would be lost.

And the Ancients are very annoying, so no thanks.

The Suicidal Goldfish
April 30th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Seconded, no thanks...

monkey_man132
April 30th, 2007, 11:26 AM
there was hermiod. Yep *tears up* good 'ol Hermiod.

funks
May 1st, 2007, 12:30 AM
The Ancients couldn't win it because they didn't have the correct mindframe that's required for waging war. Much like the Asgard when they came up against the Replicators, like the Ancients their idea was to keep on building bigger & better, yet humans stepped up with primitive weapons & tactics that got the job done. Those in Pegasus had millions & millions of years of evolution unchallenged by any enemy that we know of. Then bang along came the Wraith out of the blue, possessing technology that was inferior but good enough to get the job done, significant ship numbers & a ruthlessness that gave them a vastly superior mindframe to wage war.

The only way the humans were able to actually defeat the replicators was by using really advanced tech (both times, ancient tech). The replicators had superior numbers, good tech, ruthlessness, and except for 5, no problems dealing with morality.

exit owl
May 1st, 2007, 12:44 AM
I don't.

An Ancient being back on Atlantis basically mean that it'll be the end of the "explore-the-city" stories since the Ancient would tell us what to avoid and what to investigate, and the sense of danger would be lost.

And the Ancients are very annoying, so no thanks.

Agreed.

Though ever since Cassie on SG-1, I've been interested in seeing a child/parent relationship again on Stargate. A young child! Lam/Landry doesn't count. So maybe there could be some kinda crazy way to bring a baby ancient to the show, and someone on the cast adopts, though they all get some "parenting" scenes in. Hey, it's science fiction, right? Space babies is what it's all about, man.

knowsfords
May 1st, 2007, 12:59 AM
I think a way to do it could be that during the events of The Return, one of the ancients slipped away and hid in a stasis pod... upon discovering this, the ancient claims Atlantis is his/hers rightful responsibility/property. Of course he gets thrown in the brig when he tries a mutiny after a period of time he could be integrated into the show as the lone ancient expedition member.. a prisoner in his peoples city (until he joins the expedition) and adviser to the tauri :)

marty2006
May 1st, 2007, 04:11 AM
guess it would be kinda cool

rarocks24
May 1st, 2007, 05:28 AM
lol when I first read the title I thought it meant an Ancient with a perm lol. :P

marty2006
May 1st, 2007, 06:38 AM
Lol i was thinking that at first also

Heaven
May 1st, 2007, 08:27 AM
Well, I for one think it would be cool if we found an Ancient who lasts more than 1 ep. They could have been in stasis or Ascended or whatever. I think it would make some interesting stories even if it was only for 1 season, but preferably a permanent replacement for Teyla who I never really liked as a character IMO.

I'd take that trade any day.

jenks
May 1st, 2007, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't mind an Ancient character, aslong as they had amnesia, but I suppose they could keep some funky Ancient power to keep them interesting...

Mitchell82
May 1st, 2007, 09:42 AM
We do need an ancient that lasts for awhile. Personally I'd love it to be Janus. For example we know that he traveled through time so what if just a few hundred years ago he stumbles on one of their outposts in Pegasus and comes across some information we'll need so he freezes himself and since it's only a couple hundred years he won't have aged to a terminal level and could remain on Atlantis with us.

Diesel Vanilla
May 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM
We do need an ancient that lasts for awhile. Personally I'd love it to be Janus. For example we know that he traveled through time so what if just a few hundred years ago he stumbles on one of their outposts in Pegasus and comes across some information we'll need so he freezes himself and since it's only a couple hundred years he won't have aged to a terminal level and could remain on Atlantis with us.

I agree with you Mitchell - I'd go for Janus too. I really warmed to his character in Before I Sleep and would have been happy to find out more about him.

But yeah, as has been mentioned earlier, having a full time Ancient would maybe take away from searching Atlantis for techonology and the related mythology, and that would be crappy as I don't think that happens enough anyway!

I too thought of an Ancient with a perm when I read the thread title! hahahah - in fact Helia sprang to mind - but I'm pretty sure her lovely hair is au naturel... hehe :)

Rac80
May 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM
I agree with you Mitchell - I'd go for Janus too. I really warmed to his character in Before I Sleep and would have been happy to find out more about him.

But yeah, as has been mentioned earlier, having a full time Ancient would maybe take away from searching Atlantis for techonology and the related mythology, and that would be crappy as I don't think that happens enough anyway!

I too thought of an Ancient with a perm when I read the thread title! hahahah - in fact Helia sprang to mind - but I'm pretty sure her lovely hair is au naturel... hehe :)

I agree... give us janus! I would like an ancient to join the cast (and yes what happened to that chick that Sheppard "kirked" ??????) and give us real insight into the Ancient's culture was truly like. (ok I too thought of a "permed" ancient.

Mitchell82
May 1st, 2007, 04:20 PM

Agreed though I don't think having a full time ancient would hurt, I mean he could teach us a few things and since they arent perfect can also cause trouble.

Skald
May 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM
I disagree on the Janus character. What Atlantis really needs is some younger blood as a main character. The Janus character is the same age as the other characters. I've only seen the first two seasons but since losing LT Ford (pre seige) there has been a vital dinamic that related to the younger generation that has been lost in the show. Being 25yo I don't relate to 35+ characters the way I would relate to 25yo character. I know Ronan is younger and I love the character but there is not that dinamic that there was with Ford between him and the other characters.

What I really would like to see is a young female character of mid-twenties become part of the team. She wouldn't be a full-ancient but perhaps has only been diluted by a few generations rather then 10 000 years worth like those from Earth. This way she would be able to do some things but not all - a hybrid between two worlds. I don't know if where Ronan's gun comes from has been addressed yet - perhaps she makes small arms and he found one. Small arms wouldn't make a huge difference in a war but on a personal character level they would. Maybe there were some ancients who didn't want to turn tail and run when Atlantis was evacuated so they built a network of small underground or mountain bunkers on seemingly uninhabited planets just big enough for a family (not Genii size) and have lived there in secret. Knowledge of Atlantis has been lost because it has been buried underwater for the last 10, 000 years and over that time the bunkers have closed down one by one due to people being taken, intermarriage between bunkers or dilution of the gene and now only one remains. This would actually give more storylines as they would try and search for the whereabouts of these other secret bunkers in the hope they may contain zpm's or other important information.

The dinamic between the characters would be interesting too.

McKay - She would be young and smart (but not know she was smart) and that would irritate the crap out of him; often corrects his mistakes
Ronan - Someone closer in age to be silly and joke with
Teyla - Big sister/mentor roll; trying to impart knowledge and experience on often deaf ears
Sheppard - big brother roll; wants to protect her and wrap her up in cotton wool = tension because she's been living on her own for some time and can look after herself, is a woman and doesn't like being treated like a deilicate petal.

It's time to bridge the generation gap. I wouldn't want to get rid of the older characters but it's time to appeal to the younger fandom as well. IMO

garhkal
May 1st, 2007, 05:25 PM
What about a young kid type ancient. No where knowledgeable in tech or anything on lantean stuff to make an impact in that regard, but one who could do 'what teal'c did for us' early in SG1... give us a perspective into the lanteans and their culture..

mcbarr
May 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
Well, I've wanted a perm Ancient since The Return eps. IMHO, they should have kept at least the female leader, but noo... :mckay:

BTW, no kids, plsss! :D

PG15
May 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Agreed, I hate kids; they're horrible actors. ;)

rarocks24
May 1st, 2007, 05:35 PM
See, I think they screwed the pooch with killing off Ayia or however her name was spelled. She knew nothing of what happened to the Ancients after Atlantis left.

It would have been an interesting dynamic, to see an Ancient in Atlantis, with no knowledge of the past 2 million years of Ancient history.

Professor Chaos
May 1st, 2007, 10:06 PM
I agree, I wouldn't want a kid on the show. Maybe an Ancient that has never been to Atlantis? Or one that has been in stasis/frozen so long that they're behind the times and only know about older Ancient tech?

Mitchell82
May 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM
What about a young kid type ancient. No where knowledgeable in tech or anything on lantean stuff to make an impact in that regard, but one who could do 'what teal'c did for us' early in SG1... give us a perspective into the lanteans and their culture..

No kids but mabey an Ancient who left Earth to go to Atlantis but never made it so has no knowledge of it.

marty2006
May 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
No kids but mabey an Ancient who left Earth to go to Atlantis but never made it so has no knowledge of it.

That would be boring man it would just be the opposite of the return.

monkey_man132
May 2nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
lol when I first read the title I thought it meant an Ancient with a perm lol. :PMe too I thought an Ancient got her hair did. :lol:

Solarblazer
May 2nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
There is only one ancient I prefer to see back on atlantis.
Remember that guy who created the timemachine and helped weir to preserve city power and create the Atlantis failsafe????
He was smart and would see that the tauri are the ones who deserve to lead Atlantis into the next era of pegasus galaxy.
He was more openminded,that makes him different from the other ancients.

jenks
May 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Janus.

Mitchell82
May 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
That would be boring man it would just be the opposite of the return.

Yeah you're right. Thats why who i really want is Janus.

Anthony
May 3rd, 2007, 01:31 AM
Haha, with the 'perm Ancient' in the title, I thought you meant you want to see an Ancient with a perm. Ha, maybe Starsky will make an appearance in an episode one day. ;)

Bacardi
May 3rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
Tayla's baby could be "Lantici" - similar to Orici but on our side :P He/She could play a role in the sg1 movie lol.. Yeah I know so far crossovers havent been all that great..

Mitchell82
May 3rd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Haha, with the 'perm Ancient' in the title, I thought you meant you want to see an Ancient with a perm. Ha, maybe Starsky will make an appearance in an episode one day. ;)

LOL!

MechaThor
May 4th, 2007, 01:10 AM

Dam i was beatern to it! I was just going to say that myself. Only without the Starsky stuff.

I am all for an Ancient with a perm but not a perm ancient.

prion
May 4th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Dam i was beatern to it! I was just going to say that myself. Only without the Starsky stuff.

And I thought the same thing too! No, don't want to see a perm on an Ancient<G> but also don't want to see a permanent Ancient. They'll become the go-to person, they're all sorta haughty and all-knowing...

Mitchell82
May 4th, 2007, 11:27 PM
And I thought the same thing too! No, don't want to see a perm on an Ancient<G> but also don't want to see a permanent Ancient. They'll become the go-to person, they're all sorta haughty and all-knowing...

They can't be all knowing since they seem to screw up all the time.

They call me Tim
May 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I think that a perm Ancient would be cool but one that is "all ancienty" would be bad. I think that what Atlantis needs is an Ancient that was once ascended but no longer is and has no memory of his past. However, learns that he was once an Ancient and starts to see his handiwork all around him and has to put the pieces back together.

I heard this on this board a long time ago but I thought that it was cool then and now. I think that we should find out that Shepard is a former asended Ancient that learns the truth. Maybe they find another Ancient outpost and are downloading the database of Ancients that were stationed there and they find a holo of someone that looks exactly like Shepard. Find another Ancient in a status pod that will die shortly after waking up but is able to identify Shep as a former Ancient before he goes...that is my hope.:sheppard:

Mitchell82
May 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I think that a perm Ancient would be cool but one that is "all ancienty" would be bad. I think that what Atlantis needs is an Ancient that was once ascended but no longer is and has no memory of his past. However, learns that he was once an Ancient and starts to see his handiwork all around him and has to put the pieces back together.

I heard this on this board a long time ago but I thought that it was cool then and now. I think that we should find out that Shepard is a former asended Ancient that learns the truth. Maybe they find another Ancient outpost and are downloading the database of Ancients that were stationed there and they find a holo of someone that looks exactly like Shepard. Find another Ancient in a status pod that will die shortly after waking up but is able to identify Shep as a former Ancient before he goes...that is my hope.:sheppard:
Agreed, if the ancient was recently descended with no memory it might be better than one with all his/her memory.

scifi_lemon
May 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM

Yay, I've found someone who thinks John's Ancient-y too!!!! *cough* I don't know if you read any of the Fandemonium books, but they address the 'find a hologram that looks just like John' in Reliquary. However, they did a quick comparison using some funky tech-thingy and found that the resembilence was uncanny, but it wasn't him. To quote John from the book:

"Oh, well, good to know that its not actually me. It's not like you could take my word for it that I'm not a ten thousand year old Ancient who thought it would be fun to hang out here playing tag with the Wraith and watching you guys scramble for answers."

Anyway, my theory is that he's very closely related to the Ancients (like a grandfather is a decended Ancient or something) but not an actual Ancient.

mcbarr
May 6th, 2007, 05:28 PM

That'd be pretty interesting, and it would shed some light on why Sheppard is so compatible with Ancient tech. It would also explain why those people from Epiphany suggested all the time they needed Sheppard's guidance to ascend or whatever.

scifi_lemon
May 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
That'd be pretty interesting, and it would shed some light on why Sheppard is so compatible with Ancient tech. It would also explain why those people from Epiphany suggested all the time they needed Sheppard's guidance to ascend or whatever.

I never thought of that. Good point.

It also explains why Ascended women dig him. :sheppardanime23:

Col. Shadow Quinn
May 7th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Whoever said the ancient had to be a civilian, maybe it could be a soldier.

Professor Chaos
May 7th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Ooh I like the idea of Shepherd being a descended Ancient with no memory. He could activate something in Atlantis that slowly restores his memory or something.

He should have a higher than average IQ, but not a scientist. Maybe the captain of an Ancient warship from the war. A good idea for an episode would be set 10,000 years ago when he was commanding his ship, The Orion.

scifi_lemon
May 7th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Whoever said the ancient had to be a civilian, maybe it could be a soldier.

Ooh I like the idea of Shepherd being a descended Ancient with no memory. He could activate something in Atlantis that slowly restores his memory or something.

He should have a higher than average IQ, but not a scientist. Maybe the captain of an Ancient warship from the war. A good idea for an episode would be set 10,000 years ago when he was commanding his ship, The Orion.

If John's a Descended Ancient, it'd explain why we know so little about his past ;)

I like the idea of a soldier Ancient because they might know where some of the stuff is located, but wouldn't a deep understanding of how it works. He'd also know about more "important" stuff like weapons would be. Captain of the Orion would be cool too.

Mitchell82
May 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM

That'd be very interesting, Shepard an Ancient that would be great.

ACharmedAsgard
May 7th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I just don't want to see the Ancients keep slipping up

scifi_lemon
May 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I just don't want to see the Ancients keep slipping up

They're bound to do something right...eventually ;)

ACharmedAsgard
May 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM
God I hope so

scifi_lemon
May 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM
God I hope so

:lol:

Copernicus
May 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't want to see an ancient render one of the main characters obsolete. If it's an ancient scientist, then suddenly the idea of McKay being able to be, well, McKay does not work so well because he does not have being the "I'm the smartest person around and you need me" aspect to his character anymore. If the ancient was some sort of military strategist or soldier, it would make sense for the ancient to either be in a command position or as a member of Sheppard's team. In both cases, we have those segments fully stocked with either recurring characters (Weir, Caldwell and Ellis) or main cast.

The one thing I could go for is a sort of Morgan Le Fay (did I spell that right?) slash Zordon concoction that provides information (the powers that be would need to have it damaged so it does not know everything about the city and some exploration still works) to the team, like the original hologram in The Rising, but more detailed. It could have been useful in Tao of Rodney, where Weir's exposition on ascending didn't seem to make a lot of sense for her character. This would hinder it from playing a physical role in the series, which would leave the main cast plenty of uses for their expertise.

ACharmedAsgard
May 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Ancients don't think outside the Box so a smart Ancient wouldn't make the main charaters obsolete

scifi_lemon
May 7th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Ancients don't think outside the Box so a smart Ancient wouldn't make the main charaters obsolete

It'd be like having an easy to use encyclopedia on Ancient stuff; all the answers to how everything works and where it is, but you still have to know how to use it to its best potential. It'd make things too easy imho, but having a Ancient solider work better. They'd still be an Ancient but they wouldn't take away from the 'discovery' that's a big part of SGA.

ACharmedAsgard
May 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Not all Ancients knew everything - a single scientist wouldn't know everthing about Ancient technology - they each probably had fields. Ancient soldiers would be no different to humans really

scifi_lemon
May 7th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Not all Ancients knew everything - a single scientist wouldn't know everthing about Ancient technology - they each probably had fields. Ancient soldiers would be no different to humans really

True. My only problem with having a permenant Ancient would be if they were 'too' smart, ya know? I don't want to lose the sense of discovery and trying to figure everything out.

Ravroz
May 8th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I don't know about a permanent Ancient on the team but having one for at least a couple of episodes would be very interesting. I mean who wouldn't want to see McKay but heads with an Ancient scientist?

Mitchell82
May 8th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I don't know about a permanent Ancient on the team but having one for at least a couple of episodes would be very interesting. I mean who wouldn't want to see McKay but heads with an Ancient scientist?

More likely the ancient would slap mackay.;)

scifi_lemon
May 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM
More likely the ancient would slap mackay.;)

:lol: :mckay:

scifi_lemon
May 8th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Agree about no permanent Ancient but lasting a while would be nice. Either the scientist would get sick of McKay, or Rodney would get tired of their superiority complex that many seemed to have ;)

Mitchell82
May 8th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Agree about no permanent Ancient but lasting a while would be nice. Either the scientist would get sick of McKay, or Rodney would get tired of their superiority complex that many seemed to have ;)

If that happens we might have to put a big fence between them b/c at that point the ancient would likely love to shoot him. We all know just how much fun Shep had at shooting Rodney in Phantoms.;)

scifi_lemon
May 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM
If that happens we might have to put a big fence between them b/c at that point the ancient would likely love to shoot him. We all know just how much fun Shep had at shooting Rodney in Phantoms.;)

I'm sure they'd be tempted... but isn't murder against some Ascension rule? ;)

Mitchell82
May 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I'm sure they'd be tempted... but isn't murder against some Ascension rule? ;)

Well they did ascend Anubis.....;)

scifi_lemon
May 8th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Well they did ascend Anubis.....;)

That only happened because Oma was naive and too soft-hearted for her own good :P Seriously, who in their right mind would Ascend a goa'uld?!?

Ugh, imagine what would have happened if McKay ascended. I think the Ancients would have kicked him out as soon as he 'got up there' or whatever. ;)

Raj_2006
May 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM
That only happened because Oma was naive and too soft-hearted for her own good :P Seriously, who in their right mind would Ascend a goa'uld?!?

Ugh, imagine what would have happened if McKay ascended. I think the Ancients would have kicked him out as soon as he 'got up there' or whatever. ;)

:lol: I love that :lol:

scifi_lemon
May 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM
:lol: I love that :lol:

Thanks!

Mitchell82
May 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM

Probably true. He would annoy the hell out of them and correct them at every turn.

scifi_lemon
May 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Probably true. He would annoy the hell out of them and correct them at every turn.

Or he'd "interfere" and get kicked out that way.

mcbarr
May 9th, 2007, 05:31 PM
If McKay ascends, he will end up as an Ori. Remember The Game? :D

scifi_lemon
May 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM
If McKay ascends, he will end up as an Ori. Remember The Game? :D

ROTF:lol: A McKay-worshipping cult... classic! :P

Mitchell82
May 10th, 2007, 08:16 AM
ROTF:lol: A McKay-worshipping cult... classic! :P

Mckay: Bow before your handsome god!"
Ronon: Please let me shoot him!
John: No me first!:p

Mister Oragahn
May 10th, 2007, 11:21 AM

And I don't want to hear any "they can't make them too powerful" **** because 1 Ancient isn't going to make a whole lot of difference against the Wraith when the whole civilization couldn't beat them. More likely it would just give us a much needed edge.

Of course! The writing's so good, they surely can handle an ancient.
It's not like they've ruined most of them you know.

g.o.d
May 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I would rather see an Ori in Atlantis (follower of soft version of the Origin).Ancients are stupid and arrogant, the Ori are more interesting and smarter:cool:

scifi_lemon
May 10th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Mckay: Bow before your handsome god!"
Ronon: Please let me shoot him!
John: No me first!:p

*snort* :lol:

Mitchell82
May 10th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I would rather see an Ori in Atlantis (follower of soft version of the Origin).Ancients are stupid and arrogant, the Ori are more interesting and smarter:cool:

Nah I'd ratther see an ancient not an Ori.

scifi_lemon
May 11th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Nah I'd ratther see an ancient not an Ori.

Ditto.

garhkal
May 11th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Naa. i think they would kick him out, just cause of his despising them, due to all their (in his oppinion) fubars..

Anthony
May 12th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Ha haa! ;)

Atlantis1
May 12th, 2007, 01:18 PM
There have been too many shows where they made it look like we humans need help from another race.

Hobbes
May 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM
It might be interesting if they discover an Ancient in stasis who was put there during "The Return", then later they find out he was in stasis because he's a criminal (sort of like Namor from the Ultimate Fantastic Four comics).

Professor Chaos
May 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM

I too thought of an Ancient with a perm when I read the thread title! hahahah - in fact Helia sprang to mind - but I'm pretty sure her lovely hair is au naturel... hehe :)I wouldn't want Janus. While I like him, who wants to see all of the Janus/Weir garbage? Also, so an Ancient scientist doesn't make us too powerful, how about military or something? Or my edited first post quoted below?

Another thought is, who would like to see Shepherd find out he in an Ancient?;) He could have been descended like Daniel and sent to Earth. He subconsciously joined the Air Force because he used to be a pilot/Supreme Commander Sheppherd of the Ancient fleet (that would be awesome. pay homage to the greatest alien ever, Thor).:p The rest was just a happy coincidence. Or Shepherd was subconsciously using his funky alien powers and making his CO send him to Atlantis :P

scifi_lemon
May 12th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't want Janus. While I like him, who wants to see all of the Janus/Weir garbage? Also, so an Ancient scientist doesn't make us too powerful, how about military or something? Or my edited first post quoted below?

I REALLY like the idea of 'John the descened Ancient'. I thought about the pilot connection too, but if he was Supreme Commander etc, why did Helia recognize him? I think that'd it be cooler if he was just an ordinary pilot that nearly died in battle and hand to Ascend. He got kicked out for some reason and put on Earth with his memories wiped like Daniel (it'd explain why we know so little about past... ;)). Maybe a device restores his memory or he meets an Ancient in stasis that recognizes him or vice versa.

That'd be a great two-part episode or revelation in S4 :D:D:D

Professor Chaos
May 12th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I REALLY like the idea of 'John the descened Ancient'. I thought about the pilot connection too, but if he was Supreme Commander etc, why did Helia recognize him? I think that'd it be cooler if he was just an ordinary pilot that nearly died in battle and hand to Ascend. He got kicked out for some reason and put on Earth with his memories wiped like Daniel (it'd explain why we know so little about past... ;)). Maybe a device restores his memory or he meets an Ancient in stasis that recognizes him or vice versa.

That'd be a great two-part episode or revelation in S4 :D:D:DWell, maybe "Supreme Commander" is a bit too ambitious, but it would be the most interesting. Maybe they could think of a way to do it to explain the lack of recognition among other Ancients he's met. Either that or he could just be a general or just a ship captain, but hopefully something more important than a pilot, although I would settle on him being a janitor as long as he was an Ancient! And yea, that would make an awesome mid season/season finale 2 parter.:D

I wonder if the writers have ever though about doing it or if someone told them about it would they consider it?

Edit: Somebody want to make a sig supporting the whole Shepherd = descended Ancient idea? It will help spread the word and maybe somebody important will see it.:P

scifi_lemon
May 12th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Well, maybe "Supreme Commander" is a bit too ambitious, but it would be the most interesting. Maybe they could think of a way to do it to explain the lack of recognition among other Ancients he's met. Either that or he could just be a general or just a ship captain, but hopefully something more important than a pilot, although I would settle on him being a janitor as long as he was an Ancient! And yea, that would make an awesome mid season/season finale 2 parter.:D

I wonder if the writers have ever though about doing it or if someone told them about it would they consider it?

Edit: Somebody want to make a sig supporting the whole Shepherd = descended Ancient idea? It will help spread the word and maybe somebody important will see it.:P

The Sig is a great idea! Anybody out there want to make one? ;) You could post on JM's blog... if you're brave enough :P Maybe in the second half of S4? Or maybe in the mid-season two parter. Probably not, but we can dream, right? LOL

garhkal
May 12th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I like that criminal idea..

scifi_lemon
May 12th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I like that criminal idea..

That'd be cool. Interesting plot twist. Though I think they'd only last for one episode.

Mitchell82
May 13th, 2007, 12:22 PM
That'd be cool. Interesting plot twist. Though I think they'd only last for one episode.

Most likely, but it'd be nice.

scifi_lemon
May 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Most likely, but it'd be nice.

It'd be great to see an Ancient that wasn't a scientist.

Mitchell82
May 13th, 2007, 10:30 PM
It'd be great to see an Ancient that wasn't a scientist.

Like a military commander or just a ancient civilian?

scifi_lemon
May 14th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Like a military commander or just a ancient civilian?

As long as they're not a scientist, I don't care who they are :P

I'm tired of all of these Ancients scientists who screw up all the time. It'd be nice to see another side to the Ancient civilization. They couldn't all have been scientists ;)

garhkal
May 14th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Perhaps that is why they lost the war. No warfighters amongst them..

scifi_lemon
May 14th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Perhaps that is why they lost the war. No warfighters amongst them..

Well, they would have had to have some sort of soliders out on the front lines in the Orion-class warships and pilots, but I get what you mean. No one with a fighting-mentality. Ancient-John (it may not be canon now, but believe you me, it will be... :P) would may have disobeyed orders even more than now. ;)

Mitchell82
May 14th, 2007, 06:04 PM
As long as they're not a scientist, I don't care who they are :P

I'm tired of all of these Ancients scientists who screw up all the time. It'd be nice to see another side to the Ancient civilization. They couldn't all have been scientists ;)

I agree it would be nice to see a different part of the ancient society.

Professor Chaos
May 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Well, they would have had to have some sort of soliders out on the front lines in the Orion-class warships and pilots, but I get what you mean. No one with a fighting-mentality. Ancient-John (it may not be canon now, but believe you me, it will be... :P) would may have disobeyed orders even more than now. ;)Haha, that would make an awesome flashback type episode. Shepherd disobeying one of those cocky ass arrogant Ancients.

scifi_lemon
May 19th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Haha, that would make an awesome flashback type episode. Shepherd disobeying one of those cocky ass arrogant Ancients.

Maybe that's what triggers the flashback. John's disobeying Caldwell or Woosley and thinks 'This is REALLY familiar...' :P

Mitchell82
May 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Maybe that's what triggers the flashback. John's disobeying Caldwell or Woosley and thinks 'This is REALLY familiar...' :P

Yeah mabey. I think it be quite interesting if shepard is a decended ancient.

scifi_lemon
May 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah mabey. I think it be quite interesting if shepard is a decended ancient.

Who doesn't think it's an awesome idea? :P I just noticed that this thread has mutated into the 'John Sheppard: Descended Ancient' thread. Not that I'm complaining or anything ;)

Mitchell82
May 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Who doesn't think it's an awesome idea? :P I just noticed that this thread has mutated into the 'John Sheppard: Descended Ancient' thread. Not that I'm complaining or anything ;)

LOL if we tried to come up with a list of how many threads have gone off topic, we would need a whole thread to do so!;)

Professor Chaos
May 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Who doesn't think it's an awesome idea? :P I just noticed that this thread has mutated into the 'John Sheppard: Descended Ancient' thread. Not that I'm complaining or anything ;)Yea, lol when we started talking about John the Ancient I just realized how much better that was. I could care less if we get another Ancient as long as we get John.:P

Actually, If a mod reads this could you please change the topic title to "John = Descended Ancient?"

scifi_lemon
May 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Yea, lol when we started talking about John the Ancient I just realized how much better that was. I could care less if we get another Ancient as long as we get John.:P

Actually, If a mod reads this could you please change the topic title to "John = Descended Ancient?"

Ancienty John is great. For the new title, how about 'Ancienty?' :P

Professor Chaos
May 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Ancienty John is great. For the new title, how about 'Ancienty?' :PYou can just post a new thread for Ancient John if you want, I don't feel like making a new one right now. We can move to that thread and let this one die.

scifi_lemon
May 20th, 2007, 08:27 AM
You can just post a new thread for Ancient John if you want, I don't feel like making a new one right now. We can move to that thread and let this one die.

Sweet! Where is it? *looks around*