This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who wants to see a perm Ancient?

Well, I for one think it would be cool if we found an Ancient who lasts more than 1 ep. They could have been in stasis or Ascended or whatever. I think it would make some interesting stories even if it was only for 1 season, but preferably a permanent replacement for Teyla who I never really liked as a character IMO.

And I don't want to hear any "they can't make them too powerful" **** because 1 Ancient isn't going to make a whole lot of difference against the Wraith when the whole civilization couldn't beat them. More likely it would just give us a much needed edge.

Edit: By Ancient I mean a less condescending/arrogant one. Similar to Janus from 'Before I Sleep' I think the ep was called.

Another thought is who would like to see Shepherd find out he in an Ancient? He could have been descended like Daniel and sent to Earth. He subconsciously joined the Air Force because he used to be a pilot/Supreme Commander Sheppherd of the Ancient fleet (that would be awesome. pay homage to the greatest alien ever, Thor.). The rest was just a happy coincidence.
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 12 May 2007, 03:00 PM.
    Kevan Smith: "I shoot it, I go home, I get drunk."

It does offer something up that would be unique in the whole of the SG Universe, including SG-1. Which is real life living Ancients in the flesh. The gate builders in person back in the galaxy once again.

They really had an opportunity to do something in 'The Return' with this, however took the easiest choice that they could & alas they are no more.

It would obviously have to be done correctly, for instance saying 1 Ancient wouldn't make a bit of difference to the overall outcome may be wrong in some regards. If it was a top scientist, they could show how to build ZPM's, Drones, Energy Weapons, Cloaks etc. Then if the Atlantis team had such abilities seeing what they've been able to accomplish thus far with limited tech & resources, I couldn't see them being stopped the way the enemies have been portrayed thus far in the show.

However, they could bring in perhaps a younger one that was still learning, so while smart, doesn't know how to create all the best Lantean tech as of yet. They'll need to learn & teach themselves via the database. Maybe a military officer & so on.

What I'd have done with 'The Return' was have the Lanteans return, banish the humans from their city. Force them to go elsewhere in Pegasus. Say the sister city seen in 'The Tower' where they need to start from scratch again. Have the Asurans attack, but the Lanteans repel them from that moment on.

They play this out for a while, where humans are vulnerable in a damaged underpowered city with no weapons. They could show how the Lanteans struggle to think of them as equals, as well as other sides of the Ancients.

It really would be interesting & would force them to think a lot more carefully regarding their storylines & plots. However, I simply can't see them doing it myself.

Comment

maybe have an anicent that has lost some of there memory.

Comment

I'd love to see a scientist and have them work with McKay. Maybe similarly to how Hermiod and McKay worked together.

Why have a younger one or one with amnesia? As much as it seems like 1 Ancient could single handedly win the war, just remember, the Ancient race as a whole couldn't win it.

Edit: I wouldn't want more than 1 Ancient. If there were several they would consider themselves in charge and that wouldn't work out for obvious reasons. Also, i'd like to see some individual interaction between the Ancient and the expedition.
        Kevan Smith: "I shoot it, I go home, I get drunk."

Comment

but now that there are limited wraiths that would even the odds since there only a few hives ships out there maybe 30 left, if atlantis just go hunting with nukes or cloaked puddle jumpers with nukes on it then that will give atlantis a edge but then again its sucide.

what ever happended to chaya in season 1 she is an ancient who protected her planet from the wraith and other illness. john said that he will visit her but then after that nothing, story shoved at the back of a shelf
          sigpic

Comment

It would be nice to have a cool smart person on the team like McKay but better. It could be like in Star Trek where they always have a smart science officer thats an alien.
            Last edited by monkey_man132; 02 May 2007, 07:15 AM.

Comment

I have been working on a fanfic series that does address this. Feel free to read what I've done so far.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
                It would be nie to have a cool smart person on the team like McKay but better. It could be like in Star Trek where they always have a smart science officer thats an alien.
                there was hermiod.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Chaos View Post
                  I'd love to see a scientist and have them work with McKay. Maybe similarly to how Hermiod and McKay worked together.

Why have a younger one or one with amnesia? As much as it seems like 1 Ancient could single handedly win the war, just remember, the Ancient race as a whole couldn't win it.

Edit: I wouldn't want more than 1 Ancient. If there were several they would consider themselves in charge and that wouldn't work out for obvious reasons. Also, i'd like to see some individual interaction between the Ancient and the expedition.
                  The Ancients couldn't win it because they didn't have the correct mindframe that's required for waging war. Much like the Asgard when they came up against the Replicators, like the Ancients their idea was to keep on building bigger & better, yet humans stepped up with primitive weapons & tactics that got the job done. Those in Pegasus had millions & millions of years of evolution unchallenged by any enemy that we know of. Then bang along came the Wraith out of the blue, possessing technology that was inferior but good enough to get the job done, significant ship numbers & a ruthlessness that gave them a vastly superior mindframe to wage war.

Even when the Lanteans returned in 'TR1' after 10,000 years away, they didn't find it prudent to raise their shields at an approaching Asuran Warship. They were overconfident in their own abilities not even thinking once that the Asurans could have advanced in such a long time. Meaning they could pose trouble & cause them problems.

Humans don't have any such weakness, they have vast experience in war & it's tactics over the centuries. So despite the Lanteans having better tech, the humans have the best way to maximise their vastly inferior technology to it's fullest extent.

For instance, humans took a cloak, cloaked it & fitted it with a nuke. Lanteans could make cloaks, so why didn't they think of such a tactic, that way it would have been 1 PJ per Hive & they'd have got the Wraith done easily.

We know Hives are unshielded, Lanteans had energy weapons that could cut open their ships with ease. Therefore why not install them on Atlantis. Fire them from the city into orbit & destroy any incoming Wraith fleets, just like what was done in 'Trinity'.

Lanteans developed nanites that ended up not working & causing them more problems at an especially un-needed time as they were really losing the war against the Wraith at the time. Yet humans managed to create a retro-virus that temporarily works against the Wraith. All that needs to be done is gas a ship, disabling all Wraith in it, then when it's lying there totally helpless & not firing back at you, swoop in & blow it's ass up. The move on to the next one.

If humans could build ZPM's, Drones, Energy Weapons, Cloaks & the like, they'd use it far more effectively & get the job done correctly against the Wraith. For instance see what the Lanteans & the Atlantis expedition did in 'Echoes' to save themselves from the sun. Which solution was more effective? That kinda proves the point of the ways that it would be used.

For reasons such as that, they obviously can't have Ancients fully helping them every week, it really would make things far too easy. So they'd need to strike a counter balance between the 2. Either have the Lanteans back in the galaxy, but going it on their own to begin with. They find a Lantean in stasis, either a younger member, or a regular one that perhaps lost vital parts of their memory because they were in stasis for so long. So they spend their time trying to slowly remember how to do this & that.

If they can do it in Atlantis, then it'd obviously need to translate into any other Stargate shows also. So it's not just this show that they need to think of. For instance, the enemy in the new show wouldn't be very scary, if they could build ZPM's at will & always be safe behind uber powered shields.

In 'The Return' they did have such an opportunity, they were a crew aboard a warship. So didn't need to make any they kept around scientists. There could have been some soldiers, technicians etc. Who could be recurring, but wouldn't automatically give them all the uber tech that the Lanteans had.

It would be good to have some Ancients on the show, although I somehow think that we most likely won't be seeing any in Atlantis (at least any who surive beyond the ep that they initially appear in).

Comment

I don't.

An Ancient being back on Atlantis basically mean that it'll be the end of the "explore-the-city" stories since the Ancient would tell us what to avoid and what to investigate, and the sense of danger would be lost.

And the Ancients are very annoying, so no thanks.

Comment

Seconded, no thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        there was hermiod.
                        Yep *tears up* good 'ol Hermiod.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                          The Ancients couldn't win it because they didn't have the correct mindframe that's required for waging war. Much like the Asgard when they came up against the Replicators, like the Ancients their idea was to keep on building bigger & better, yet humans stepped up with primitive weapons & tactics that got the job done. Those in Pegasus had millions & millions of years of evolution unchallenged by any enemy that we know of. Then bang along came the Wraith out of the blue, possessing technology that was inferior but good enough to get the job done, significant ship numbers & a ruthlessness that gave them a vastly superior mindframe to wage war.
                          The only way the humans were able to actually defeat the replicators was by using really advanced tech (both times, ancient tech). The replicators had superior numbers, good tech, ruthlessness, and except for 5, no problems dealing with morality.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                            I don't.

An Ancient being back on Atlantis basically mean that it'll be the end of the "explore-the-city" stories since the Ancient would tell us what to avoid and what to investigate, and the sense of danger would be lost.

And the Ancients are very annoying, so no thanks.
                            Agreed.

Though ever since Cassie on SG-1, I've been interested in seeing a child/parent relationship again on Stargate. A young child! Lam/Landry doesn't count. So maybe there could be some kinda crazy way to bring a baby ancient to the show, and someone on the cast adopts, though they all get some "parenting" scenes in. Hey, it's science fiction, right? Space babies is what it's all about, man.

Comment

I think a way to do it could be that during the events of The Return, one of the ancients slipped away and hid in a stasis pod... upon discovering this, the ancient claims Atlantis is his/hers rightful responsibility/property. Of course he gets thrown in the brig when he tries a mutiny after a period of time he could be integrated into the show as the lone ancient expedition member.. a prisoner in his peoples city (until he joins the expedition) and adviser to the tauri

Comment

Working...
                              X