This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pegasus Rings

OK, so we know that the ancients created the transport rings, so why have we not seen any in Pegasus, and even if they decided not to have any on the planets, surely Atlantis and their ships would have them to transport between each other. either that, or they have beaming tech similar to the Asgard since they have the chambers that can take them to other chambers in the city.

Its possible the chambers can be used for intership transport if they are configured correctly.

Also, there could be devices like rings in the city and we just haven`t found them yet.

Or maybe they were just happy using the jumpers.

Hopefully this question will be answered in S4.

Comment

This Thread has been done to death.

Here is the Resaon-

The Main reason is the writers want to keep SG-1 and SGA separate shows. That’s the reason the Expedition crew did not bring any Goa’uld weaponry such as Staff Weaponry or Zats (which would have been very useful in any Galaxy.)

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

mostly likely not since in that ep before i sleep weir and janus was hearing the transport ship saying too many wraith and having over 300 i think i board when many could of used ringed down (just a theory of course)

^ keeping the show separate is good but rings are of ancient origin and what better to have ancient technology is in an acient cityship
        sigpic

Comment

Also the tech you see in the Milky and the Ori galaxy are presumably much older than the ones you see in the Pegasus. Transport Chambers replace the Ring Transporter.
          http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
          http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

the transport chambers ARE the rings, just more advanced. It can beam/transport to multiple locations and floors up and down.
            Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General View Post
              Also the tech you see in the Milky and the Ori galaxy are presumably much older than the ones you see in the Pegasus. Transport Chambers replace the Ring Transporter.
              Well put! The rings are Altera technology. The closets are Lantean technology. They might be inter-operable but there isn't any evidence to support this.

Originally posted by ManiacMike
              the transport chambers ARE the rings, just more advanced. It can beam/transport to multiple locations and floors up and down.
              I'd say the transport closets are less advanced than the rings, since it's not clear if they can beam objects without the requirement of a receiving closet.

The Asgard beaming technology beats them both though. You don't need a receiving device, and you can beam objects of any size or dimensions.

Isn't it weird that Asgard technology is more advanced than the ancients?
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I agree that the transport chambers are rings!

^ Not really. The Asgard could have gotten the idea of beaming tech from the ancient database/ancients themselves. If thats the case, they have had 10's of thousands of years to perfect the technology and advance it beyond that of the ancients before they ascended.
                sigpic
                By *E*K*R*

Comment

Well technically no the asgard built the beaming tech out of necessity because their bodies were so small and physically weak, to beam themselves away from a problem and moving things. The ancients still had bodies like us, i mean they were the most intelligent race out there i think if we actually ever found intelligent life out there im sure they would have something similar to cars however not exactly they would be designed to need. I mean they have found bows and arrows from like 800 years ago which are technically more advanced than bows and arrows found 250 years ago, this is due to the fact people actually had to use bows and arrows to protect themselves and hunt for food, then we ended up with markets etc and our came to use so bows and arrows wernt needed to the extent they were 550 years previous.
                  Last edited by marty2006; 28 April 2007, 01:04 AM. Reason: Dates arent exact i just roughly guessed them myself however the story about them is true.

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                    Wikipedia???

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
                      Wikipedia???
                      tv

I cant remember which episode, but they were looking for someone and they pointed to all the transport positions in the city.

I don't remember seeing elevators in atlantis and I know Ancients aren't going to walk up xxx numbers of flights of stairs to go back and forth from the stargate room to a part of the city.
                      Visit my Website

Comment

^ It was 'Hide and Seek' if I recall correctly.
                        sigpic
                        By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
                          This Thread has been done to death.

Here is the Resaon-

The Main reason is the writers want to keep SG-1 and SGA separate shows. That’s the reason the Expedition crew did not bring any Goa’uld weaponry such as Staff Weaponry or Zats (which would have been very useful in any Galaxy.)
                          Rings i can understand as maybe in pegasus the ancients wanted to try something diffrent of did not get around or maybe they are too SG-1.

However not having Zats i don't get as they are like standard equitment at the SGC. Even if they started out with Zats at the start of the show then over time replaced them with the wrath stunners. Would have been better.
                          We do have F30-2s however which are very SG-1 and still very Goa'uld same with asgard beaming tech.
                          Strange how they keep some and ignored the rest.
                          sigpic
                          Banner Made By Me for Me
                          The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                            Rings i can understand as maybe in pegasus the ancients wanted to try something diffrent of did not get around or maybe they are too SG-1.

However not having Zats i don't get as they are like standard equitment at the SGC. Even if they started out with Zats at the start of the show then over time replaced them with the wrath stunners. Would have been better.
                            We do have F30-2s however which are very SG-1 and still very Goa'uld same with asgard beaming tech.
                            Strange how they keep some and ignored the rest.
                            I guess one reason that they did not bring Rings to Atlantis is becasue Rings are very strongly associated with The Goa'uld and the Tok'Ra. Despite them being Ancient technology, the Goa'uld have managed to mass produce them. Most Goa'uld ships have them, and all Tok'Ra bases use them. I really dont remember many Ancient-only ring platforms.

As for not bringing any Goa'uld weapons, perhaps the Expedition Leaders assumed that they would acquire Ancient hand weapons in Atlantis. So far, we have not seen any Ancient Small arms lockers in Atlantis, but there have got to be some...

Plus SG-1 was killing their enemies (Goa'uld and Jaffa) with their OWN weapons, and i guess that the TPTB wanted the Altantis Members to do the same which explains why they use Wraith weaponry

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                              Well put! The rings are Altera technology. The closets are Lantean technology. They might be inter-operable but there isn't any evidence to support this.

I'd say the transport closets are less advanced than the rings, since it's not clear if they can beam objects without the requirement of a receiving closet.

The Asgard beaming technology beats them both though. You don't need a receiving device, and you can beam objects of any size or dimensions.

Isn't it weird that Asgard technology is more advanced than the ancients?
                              Both were the same race.

They weren't Lanteans till they came to Pegasus. So Atlantis obviously wasn't built there. It's possibly that they were added in later on, but equally as plausible that they were already in place before arriving in Pegasus.

Rings were in the Ori galaxy 50+ million years ago, rings are in the MW. Logically there should be at least some rings in Pegasus somewhere. Probably placed when they first came. Then came the whole Wraith thing, perhaps they destroyed planets or installations that housed them.

There has to be something like it on the ships though, the Lanteans were efficient, we know they had transporter tech as well as rings. So the ships have to have at least one of them installed, with Atlantis having something to receive them. It wouldn't be efficient for them to have to travel perhaps 100's of people in PJ's to dock back & forth. Especially if there was an emergency.

My bet is there were rings in Pegasus (originally, but perhaps not any more), just they ended up being superseded by the transporters & PJ's.

I wouldn't say the transporters are any less advanced because you still need a ring platform on the receiving end to intercept the matterstream. Probably like you do with the closets as well. So they are probably just the same as each other in that regard.

While Asgard tech is much better for general activities. It has a fatal flaw in that it cannot beam through anything with a raised shield. While rings can go through even when shields are up.

It probably comes down to the overall needs for having such a thing in the 1st place. For instance Lanteans were able bodied, able to walk/run, carry things, travel distances.

Whereas Asgards are puny little creatures that don't have any sort of a physical aspect about them. It seems they have trouble walking short distances. Their ships are huge, so don't see them being able to walk around them using their legs, as well as lift heavy objects etc. Therefore they needed a solution that could make up for their physical deformities. Thus they came up with beaming technology.

I have no doubt Lanteans could have made a better version which could have gone through shields if they had chosen to. However there really wasn't any need for them to develop such technology as exact as that of which the Asgard have. Wraith didn't have shields, so no need to try & beam through them etc.

Although in saying all that, if I was forced to choose, I'd much rather take the Asgard tech any day of the week over the transport rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X