'Kryptonite' discovered in mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Kryptonite' discovered in mine

Kryptonite is no longer just the stuff of fiction feared by caped superheroes.

A new mineral matching its unique chemistry - as described in the film Superman Returns - has been identified in a mine in Serbia.

BBC News

"Towards the end of my research I searched the web using the mineral's chemical formula - sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide - and was amazed to discover that same scientific name, written on a case of rock containing kryptonite stolen by Lex Luther from a museum in the film Superman Returns.
    Maybe it was just placed in the wrong case? Misfilings do happen, even at very prestigous and well-kept museums.

Comment

How can a fictional substance have a unique chemisty?

I thought they had just taken the idea from Krypton, which is on the atomic chart.

sigpic

Comment

kryptonite is not real its just a coincedence that it happened to be the same as superman rocks
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
          kryptonite is not real its just a coincedence that it happened to be the same as superman rocks
          No one's saying that it is real kryptonite. Just that the atomic composition is the same as the one given in the movie. They even point that out. It's white, not green.
          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Lol i was wanting to post this anyhoo maybe the Kryptonite from Krypton was a white powder also yet when the planet went up the power fused into what we know it as.

Comment

Well it could be silver Kryptonite??
              I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Kryptonite in the classical sense (green) has flouride in it.

Comment

Originally posted by wise one
                  kryptonite is not real
                  really ? damn !
                  and there I was taking comic book stories for real-life facts
                  guess Superman is not real either then ?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                    really ? damn !
                    and there I was taking comic book stories for real-life facts
                    guess Superman is not real either then ?
                    That's what YOU think...

Superman is RLY on every single President/Prime Minister's/Generals/Premier's speed dial, under #4, #1 is daughter/son/cousin/mother/father/wife, #2 is USA, #3 is some random person in the country that aforementioned leader crank calls (you know they do it), and #4 is Superman. #5 is the Pizza man and #6 is Al Gore. #6 wishes he was #4 though...

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                      That's what YOU think...

Superman is RLY on every single President/Prime Minister's/Generals/Premier's speed dial, under #4, #1 is daughter/son/cousin/mother/father/wife, #2 is USA, #3 is some random person in the country that aforementioned leader crank calls (you know they do it), and #4 is Superman. #5 is the Pizza man and #6 is Al Gore. #6 wishes he was #4 though...
                      *phew* well that's a relief

thx for the good news
                      I'd give you green, but this would be rather inappropriate in a Superman thread -)

Comment

At least we are ready if Superman gets here and if gets out of control.

: Green is Good.
                        sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X