PDA

View Full Version : Does/Will Dr. Keller have the ATA gene?

Saul Tigh
April 23rd, 2007, 08:13 AM
do you think she will have the gene or will get it ??

Platschu
April 23rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
I hope not. Only 50% of the vaccinated people will have ATA gene. ;)

Steve_the_Wraith
April 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Probably not - simply because Beckett had the gene and they want to keep the characters different

Ripple in Space
April 23rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Will she develop a Scottish Accent?

Commander Ivanova
April 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM

.. and a fondness for turtles?

prion
April 23rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
I hope not. Only 50% of the vaccinated people will have ATA gene. ;)

thought it was 48%?

Falcon Horus
April 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
If she did have the ATA gene, I'd prefer it to be naturally. It's been a while since we've seen anyone around who had the gene naturally and not induced.

I wouldn't mind if she were to have it, and I would think it cool if she was taking care of Carson's turtles.

SaberBlade
April 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
I think she will have it.

It's not really a matter of having her like or dislike Carson, but needing someone to sit in the chair when Sheppard can't. McKay and Zelenka end up working on the technical side, Sheppard can be too busy, so having a recurring character with the gene (although artifically given so it would add a bit of difference from Carson) would at least cut down on having random background characters used for important scenes.

But I would prefer her to be non natural with her ATA gene. 10,000 years have passed since the Ancients interbred with humans, so it's supposed to be rare and already we've had Sheppard and Beckett in SGA with the gene, plus there is Jack in SG1. So cutting down on the amount of naturals would make it seem more of a rarity.

marty2006
April 23rd, 2007, 03:24 PM
hopfully we can all go back in time a couple of months and just not kill carson off, grave grave mistake it was.

ToasterOnFire
April 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM

...and want to go fishing on off-days?

Wraith_Boy
April 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Realistically, there really would be no need for her to have it!

Beckett could because it was to do with him having discovered the thing in the 1st place. However other than that there really isn't any need for a Doctor to have it. We've never seen any of the medical equipment require the ATA gene. So that only leaves stuff like the control chair, ships, shields etc.

You don't want her flying a PJ unless totally necessary, especially if they were to come under attack. You'd want someone with pilot training in such a situation.

Shields, don't have any lying around. Which if they did, they'd be used off-world by Shep or someone in his team.

That only leaves the control chair, either to fly the city or operate Drones. If it's Drones, then you'd want someone more military minded who can maximise the weapons to their full capacity.

In S1, they were cut off, so had limited personnel. However since Daedalus arrived, they were no longer stuck. Not to mention the fact that Everett was foced to bring through his own people with the gene etc to fly the PJ's. So I'd say they will have a good number of their expedition members that will have it.

While she's only in 8 eps for S4. So obviously not gonna be central to a lot of storylines throughout the season. Therefore I'd guess that the gene thing won't even come up with her, because they'll have plenty of others who already have it & are much more experienced in using it.

Falcon Horus
April 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM

...and want to go fishing on off-days?

*KABOOM*

monkey_man132
April 23rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
*KABOOM*:lol:

Back to thread subject: I think she will maybe have gene but the only reason Carson was main character were his goofy attempts at controlling the ancient chair. It will be tough to fill that void maybe McKay can connect a joystick to the chair so no one need to sit in it.

ToasterOnFire
April 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
*KABOOM*
No, Dr. Keller! Don't go near that tumor!!! *throws popcorn at the screen*

Mitchell82
April 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Realistically, there really would be no need for her to have it!

Beckett could because it was to do with him having discovered the thing in the 1st place. However other than that there really isn't any need for a Doctor to have it. We've never seen any of the medical equipment require the ATA gene. So that only leaves stuff like the control chair, ships, shields etc.

You don't want her flying a PJ unless totally necessary, especially if they were to come under attack. You'd want someone with pilot training in such a situation.

Shields, don't have any lying around. Which if they did, they'd be used off-world by Shep or someone in his team.

That only leaves the control chair, either to fly the city or operate Drones. If it's Drones, then you'd want someone more military minded who can maximise the weapons to their full capacity.

In S1, they were cut off, so had limited personnel. However since Daedalus arrived, they were no longer stuck. Not to mention the fact that Everett was foced to bring through his own people with the gene etc to fly the PJ's. So I'd say they will have a good number of their expedition members that will have it.

While she's only in 8 eps for S4. So obviously not gonna be central to a lot of storylines throughout the season. Therefore I'd guess that the gene thing won't even come up with her, because they'll have plenty of others who already have it & are much more experienced in using it.
Agreed there really is no logical reason for her to have it. I hope she doesnt.

Steve_the_Wraith
April 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
I think she will have it.

It's not really a matter of having her like or dislike Carson, but needing someone to sit in the chair when Sheppard can't. McKay and Zelenka end up working on the technical side, Sheppard can be too busy, so having a recurring character with the gene (although artifically given so it would add a bit of difference from Carson) would at least cut down on having random background characters used for important scenes.

But I would prefer her to be non natural with her ATA gene. 10,000 years have passed since the Ancients interbred with humans, so it's supposed to be rare and already we've had Sheppard and Beckett in SGA with the gene, plus there is Jack in SG1. So cutting down on the amount of naturals would make it seem more of a rarity.
Major Lorne has the gene too remember. If I remember correctly, the only reason Beckett was manning the chair in "Misbegotten" was because everyone else with the gene was away fighting the wraith (the Apollo, probably required a crew with the Ancient gene)

SaberBlade
April 24th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Major Lorne has the gene too remember. If I remember correctly, the only reason Beckett was manning the chair in "Misbegotten" was because everyone else with the gene was away fighting the wraith (the Apollo, probably required a crew with the Ancient gene)

Lorne would just be another reason why we need a non-combatant recurring character with the gene, rather than having some sort of "genie of the week" where random background characer gets to use the chair because Sheppard is off doing something. If there is trouble like we've seen before, even Lorne would be off somewhere doing his job and I don't really think even the Daedalus or Apollo could really spare someone as everyone on the ship probably has a role to fill.

Although it would be cool for him to get some chair action, I can't see it happening if he's needed elsewhere.

Saul Tigh
April 24th, 2007, 06:02 AM

don't you mean the Orion???

Jumper_One
December 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM
after watching the first half of the seaosn i would say no she doesn't have the ata gene

I would have to agree

prion
December 9th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Usually TPTB have a habit of telling you right away if someone has the gene (or the gene therapy worked). I'd say no.

ussrelativity
December 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Could always be a chance she'd get the ATA gene.

captain jake
December 10th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Could always be a chance she'd get the ATA gene.

I doubt it, if she was going to get it she already would have.

sueKay
December 10th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I'd actually like Keller to have the gene...it'd give another layer and purpose to her character

captain jake
December 10th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'd actually like Keller to have the gene...it'd give another layer and purpose to her character

Yes but what we "like" and what happens are two very different things. Unless there is a new breakthrough with the gene therapy I don't see her having it.

Mitchell82
December 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Uh why? THe Apollo is an Earth Vessel.

escyos
July 22nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
She used a "scanning device" is 'Tracker', you don't see it but it makes the same scanning noise as the one in 'The Tower' and Otho used that without the gene so really its anyones guess.

escyos
July 22nd, 2011, 08:55 PM
Wait no, McKay said she doesn't have the gene in 'Identity'.