This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets wait before Judging Season 8

I remember all the threads last year saying how bad Season 7 was. I also remember all the threads after the season was over saying, i was wrong season 7 was much better than I thought.

Personally when the episodes first aired during season 7 I did not like about 7 of them. But after watching the season completly and re-watching all the eps 2 or 3 more times I find that I only dislike 1 or 2 of the eps (which is normal for all the seasons) and that I now think that it was a really good season.
    -EARCK

"You ended that sentence in a preposition, *******!"
    -Jack O'Niell

Originally posted by earck
    I remember all the threads last year saying how bad Season 7 was. I also remember all the threads after the season was over saying, i was wrong season 7 was much better than I thought.

Personally when the episodes first aired during season 7 I did not like about 7 of them. But after watching the season completly and re-watching all the eps 2 or 3 more times I find that I only dislike 1 or 2 of the eps (which is normal for all the seasons) and that I now think that it was a really good season.
    Spoiler space for season 8

But I'm really NOT happy with season 8 so far.

RDA seems very unconnected to the rest of the cast. Even when he is in the scene it is like he is not really there. Where is the Jack O'Neill we all know and love? The guy with passion, integrity, grit and courage. This guy looks like he just wandered in from off the street. Someone needs to punch up not only his lines, but his makeup because the man LOOKS over sixty. In rl RDA is only in his early fifties. As a fan, I'm tired of hearing about his reduced schedule. It is hurting the show. Jack has always been one of my reasons for watching, but I cringe when he is onscreen now.

In contrast, whoever is doing AT's makeup is doing a fabulous job. She looks better than she has in the last couple of seasons. Daniel doesn't have any lines or intelligent story lines. It seems as if Teal'c and Carter got all the action this half season. Daniel has been given Teal'c's old lines and status. Seen occasionally, but not really there.

On a completely frivolous note, I really hate Teal'c with hair. I loved his exotic head. Now he is just a big ordinary dude. I know, I know the actor was tired of shaving his head. I understand, really. I had a job where I had to wear makeup and pantyhose...I stayed in that job for over twenty years and didn't get paid nearly as much as actors and actresses do. A little suffering is good for art.

I haven't enjoyed the Earth based stories. The writing seems flat and forced. Snappy, intelligent dialogue is missing. It seems as if all the good scripts, acting and writing have gone to Atlantis.

I REALLY hate the killing off of part time characters like Teal'c's Jaffa friend in Endgame. I enjoyed seeing him on other episodes. The Pete storyline is a COMPLETE waste of film. Gag. If Sam were to fall in love with anyone but Jack, it would be someone like Alex Colson, not the little boy with the cop badge.

I've watched SG since day one. Never have I been so disappointed as I am this season. Unless the second half is SPECTACULAR, I won't be purchasing the DVDs to complete my collection. I understand that the actors and actresses are doing the job they are asked to do. I do not blame them in anyway...except that RDA needs to decide if he is in or out. It is the producers that I hold responsible. It is as if they are driving away all the old faithful fans.

End of rant. You may return to your regularly scheduled programmming.
    Happy

Sig pic by Mala the Magnificent

Comment

I complained when S7 started to go bad, then I basically stopped watching. In my estimation, except for a few isolated eps, S7 sucked. I said it when the season started, I said it throughout the season, I said it when it ended and I'm still saying it now.

S8 was off to a good start. They've hit some patchy spots big enough for me to lose what confidence I'd gained back after last season. They still have some isolated good eps (and Endgame was one, IMO), but if they continue to focus on character melodrama instead of actual by-god PLOTS, then I will continue to say that it's tanking because, in my opinion, it is/will be.

A couple of good eps does not a great season make, and if I have a problem with something, I'm going to say so. This is not the Happy Shiny Forum. It welcomes ALL opinions, provided they aren't degrading and/or personal attacks. That means that the naysayers have just as much right to post their feelings as the ones who disgorge their love of Stargate from every orifice.

Comment

Sacrifices was a good isolated episode.

Endgame, I wasn't a fan of.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Season 8 is good, it has gun fights and even better cg than pervious years. Its amazing how far theyve come. More talking isn't always a bad thing.
          When you give me a negative reputation posting, usually because you disagree with my OPINION, sign your work!

Comment

I have to see the new exterior shots of Cheyanne Mountain are a nice addition.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

Originally posted by earck

Rewatching can often 'help'. I got to the end of Buffy s6 and thought "mreh", but got forced to rewatch it later and was really surprised at how good it was.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                Rewatching can often 'help'. I got to the end of Buffy s6 and thought "mreh", but got forced to rewatch it later and was really surprised at how good it was.
                Wait...you actually liked Buffy beyond season3!?

Comment

I loved it!

Madeleine

Comment

It is a BRILLIANT season so far... beautiful.. I will definitely pissed if Stargate doesnt go for a 9th and 10th season... It has been great... even though there has been less Stargate, still it has been good... Endgame was quite good. Interactions are awesome...

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                      I have to see the new exterior shots of Cheyanne Mountain are a nice addition.
                      There aren't any new shots.
                      Rocky

Comment

the season 8 premiere was amazing, and the next couple episodes were pretty good, and i don't care what anyone else says, i liked "affinity." the last couple of episodes, though, specifically "covanent" and "endgame," weren't the greatest. hopefully it will get better in the second half of the season.

Comment

i've only seen eps 1-7 of season 8 so far but personally i've loved them all. the writing and acting is quality, and all the complaints i find people have with episodes i find to be fine and nothing to complain about. New Order was brilliant. Lockdown was gd. Zero Hour was gd too. Icon was great and i loved there being a Daniel ep and a normal offworld ep with no arc consequences. i live in the UK, and i've heard the term 'filler ep' used for multiple series including this, and i really don't like the term, as i find standalone stories just as interesting as arc stories. Then came Affinity, which was a great Teal'c ep and a great follow-up to Gamekeeper. It's things like that which makes Stargate great. and then Affinity, which was also great, showcasing Teal'c with a great continuation of Carter's arc.

I don't think there have been any dud eps so far, and season 8 has felt fresh and interesting, something that series can't always do in their 8th season.
                          spook

Comment

I agree with sshspooky . I also find the stand alone episodes highly entertaining - one of the reasons I enjoy this show above any other is that I think it has achieved a near perfect balance with stand alones and myth arcs. Together, they give a great balance to the show.

I've adored S8 so far. Is it perfect? No, of course not. What on earth is? But I really think some people go overboard on the nitpicking. Nitpicking is fun - so long as you don't let it get in the way of enjoying yourself. When it gets to the stage when someone says a whole episode was ruined because Jack didn't say 'let's go home' (to pick an example out of thin air) it really gets to the ridiculous stage!

Some people, I suspect, enjoy the nitpicking these days more than the show. But of course, tastes differ and others have perfectly valid niggles or questions.

I did think that Jack was being handled very poorly over the last few episodes, but he's bounced back in Sacrifices and Endgame and so I'm hoping that was a blip that's been rectified. But that - and other niggles - haven't stopped me thoroughly enjoying every episode so far. The only one that bored me a little was Icon - and I'm reserving judgement on that one as I've only seen the little 30mg dl and it's entirely possible I'll do a complete u-turn on it once I've seen it properly.

I'm also one of those viewers who is perfectly capable of loathing an episode first time around and then watching it again months later, falling in love with it, and having not the first clue what I thought was awful about it to start with. I do that allllllllllllllll the time. Bad habit. But it makes for fun viewing at times. <g> I added Fail Safe, The Other Guys and Tangent to my list of all time favourite episodes in January, after having turned them off first time around before they even finished. Can't explain what caused me to miss all the wonderful team and character moments in them first time around. Now I just adore them. And so many more.

Albion
                            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I haven't seen Season 8 yet but I saw a picture of Teal'c with hair and I was I didn't like what I saw.It isn't Teal'c.Teal'c is bald not hairy.Shave it off and it's black.Remember he had a little beard on time that wasn't black
                              your friendly neighbourhood

Spiderman

Comment

Working...
                              X