Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bit of a Spoiler for Atlantis :Ok why didn't they fly Atlantis home?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of a Spoiler for Atlantis :Ok why didn't they fly Atlantis home?

Ok in Atlantis Season 4 .With the new Season .I'll Just say this why didn't they just fly Atlantis home .The Replicators repaired her put 3 ZPMs in her she was fully powered and her Stardrives were powered up .When they contacted SGC they could have just sent a small team and got her ready to go back to earth or any of the other off world outpost SGC had in the Milky Way .Then put together a fleet to go deal with the Wraith later .

The SGA expidition woke the Wraith up. All the killing, feeding and other nasty stuff they are getting up is their fault. They can't exactly just up and leave. Teyla wouldn't abandon her people and Ronon wants to kill every Wraith so he'd not go either, so losing a major character would happen. On top of that, having Atlantis in Orii striking distance wouldn't be a good idea.

Plus it is a show, they need to make the expidition, humanity and to a certain extent even the Air Force, look good, as well as being entertaining. What is the point in watching if they could just park Atlantis at the south pole and never worry about the Wraith, or even the Orii.

So common sense has to play a small part in what to do.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuyverThis View Post
      Ok in Atlantis Season 4 .With the new Season .I'll Just say this why didn't they just fly Atlantis home .The Replicators repaired her put 3 ZPMs in her she was fully powered and her Stardrives were powered up .When they contacted SGC they could have just sent a small team and got her ready to go back to earth or any of the other off world outpost SGC had in the Milky Way .Then put together a fleet to go deal with the Wraith later .
      Yes “3 ZPM’s” that would deplete by the time it would reach earth then we are back to square one (Powerless), Earth does not have a power module like a ZPM to power Atlantis to its true potential. The Ori are a powerful enemy, Atlantis would have no way to defend itself so the Ori will strike one beam to destroy it, you no how they react to ancient technology for example in “AVALON, PART 2”, an Ancient communications device, they immediately destroyed it as it proves that another race and questions about the faith/religion of the Ori. What use is Atlantis on earth, they will just screw up the ideology of “Stargate Atlantis”, its unique cause it was set in another galaxy where the un-predictability can lead anywhere especially how there is remains of ancient technology in worlds we have yet to discover, such as warships, power sources, facilities (research labs..Etc). SG1 has already covered most of the Milky Way; it would be absolutely boring to just focus 100% on Atlantis (without power) for seasons, cause I love to watching Mc Kay blowing up a solar system, Weir with that flirtations look *(don’t ask) lol, Sheppard being a “Kurk:, Teyla for sounding like Mc Kay like in “Aurora”, “Progeny”..etc, hahahaha…etc.

Putting together a fleet, yeah ok, there are atleast 60 Hives ++, for all me no there was 100- 150..and we destroyed like 15, plus civil war, we don’t even no our numbers, yet what they have been up to for a while. So we don’t even no how much we are up against anymore. (Rail guns are seriously not the key in order to defeat them and for the shield yeah that buys them an extra several min/hours),
      Spoiler:
      Odyssey upgrades, and well that will alert the Ori of the Pegasus galaxy because of the Asgard power core.

No matter where Atlantis flies to, it will never hid or escape from its enemies, putting it on earth gives the Ori more reasons to launch an attack.

I want to ask you a personal question “MacGuyverThis”, why do you care where Atlantis is located, What difference would it make if its on earth or another world in another galaxy??.( come on, we now have enough power to dial home (both ways cause both have ZPM’S), cloak the city, raise the shield, and access sections of the city, ), from my perspective Atlantis is in a perfect position.

AND I AGREE ON WHAT SABERBLADE MENTIONED ABOVE

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuyverThis View Post
        Most likely for a few reasons!

1. Is the same as the Lanteans were probably worried about. Taking the city out, then having Wraith follow them, getting the path that the city took back to the MW.

2. The other is that they get engaged in space. It wouldn't have the power, nor the weapons to fight off a few Wraith Hives. Firing 1000's of Drones almost depletes a ZPM. So they don't have the power to even risk such a scenario.

3. The last one is the power requirements, the MW is 3mil light years away. So who's to say that they wouldn't need more than 3 ZPM's for the trip. The Star Drive eats up a lot of power when used. Hence would be a bit crazy to risk it, get near the edge of Pegasus or wherever then run out of power. The city would be helpless, nothing could be done if Wraith picked it up on sensors or whatever.

All in all, too big a risk. Should only be done if they could steal a good few ZPM's from the Asurans. While have a cloaked 304 with phazers accompanying it for backup purposes just incase they come under attack along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
          Most likely for a few reasons!

1. Is the same as the Lanteans were probably worried about. Taking the city out, then having Wraith follow them, getting the path that the city took back to the MW.
          Daedalus makes the trip every few days....

2. The other is that they get engaged in space. It wouldn't have the power, nor the weapons to fight off a few Wraith Hives. Firing 1000's of Drones almost depletes a ZPM. So they don't have the power to even risk such a scenario.
          I don't believe the Wraith would be able to engage a Ship with intergalactic hyperdrive in hyperspace.

In the past I would've said that it would be so SG-1 couldn't bail them out whenever they ran into trouble, think about it. Shepp's team gets in over their heads so just have Laundry give Carter, Daniel, Teal'c, Cam, Vala, and maybe even Jack a jingle, and problem solved. But with Carter commanding the expedition, that argument kinda goes out the window.
          sigpic
          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
            Daedalus makes the trip every few days....

I don't believe the Wraith would be able to engage a Ship with intergalactic hyperdrive in hyperspace.

In the past I would've said that it would be so SG-1 couldn't bail them out whenever they ran into trouble, think about it. Shepp's team gets in over their heads so just have Laundry give Carter, Daniel, Teal'c, Cam, Vala, and maybe even Jack a jingle, and problem solved. But with Carter commanding the expedition, that argument kinda goes out the window.
            Daedalus makes it every few weeks. However it's much faster than Wraith ships. Many, many, many times smaller than Atlantis. While has different engines. Wraith probably don't have any experience in tracking Asgard stuff, but they most likely do have good knowledge of how to track down or follow Lantean stuff.

I didn't say it's impossible to do, I said it was a big risk. Probably too great of a risk, if they were discovered or engaged while trying to leave the galaxy.

Wraith have hyperdrives that allow them to travel in hyperspace. So of course they could engage them, the big problem would be trying to keep up with them. However Wraith ships could jump ahead or whatever & be waiting for them etc. We've seen in 'Small Victories' that ships can chase each other in HS. Not to mention in 'Unending' we've seen it's also possible to track down a ship travelling in HS based on energy signatures that are being given off. It's simply too dangerous a task to attempt to do for all the above reasons & more. If they were caught, they'd need to fire their drones, that would drain their ZPM, taking away valuable power from the Star Drive etc. Wraith probably wouldn't be able to keep up with them & follow them directly into the MW, however all they really need to do is get to the edge of the galaxy, then plot out the path being taken. At least they would have coordinates of the MW.

While the other most obvious thing is that are 3 ZPM's enough in the 1st place to allow it to travel 3 million light years, while also keeping shield, sensors, life support etc fully running as well.

All in all, it'll probably come down to a power thing more than anything else. After all, if it was a safe bet, then why didn't the Lanteans simply jump into HS & bring the city back to Earth themselves. Even they could have left via the SG, returned a few years later after the Wraith had winded themselves down a notch, then snuck it past them.

If they didn't do it, then it's probably too risk a venture to try! Not impossible, but too risky at this point in time!

Comment

Daedalus makes it every few weeks. However it's much faster than Wraith ships. Many, many, many times smaller than Atlantis. While has different engines. Wraith probably don't have any experience in tracking Asgard stuff, but they most likely do have good knowledge of how to track down or follow Lantean stuff.
              How could the Wraith engage them if they can't keep up with them? The Tria was traveling across Pegasus for many centuries, yet the Wraith didn't find it. You're new here, so I'm not going to get into it with you. A word of advice, don't take everything so personally.

Your #3 makes the most sense (out of the 3 you listed), but.....
              Last edited by Ripple in Space; 19 April 2007, 08:49 AM.
              sigpic
              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
              ~David Hewlett

Comment

Its not like the MW galaxy is any safer with the Ori crusade going around. Plus, they might be able to escape the Wraith in Atlantis but the Asurans have access to Ancient technology which means intergalactic travel capabilities allowing them to directly assault Earth and where ever Atlantis goes.

Plus, not really ethical about leaving all those humans to their fate in the Pegasus galaxy...

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Well heres what I think happen .Yes the 3 zpms are enough to fly Atlantis back to earth .I mean why would build a City ship not capable of making that long trip then have it run out of power halfway there .Plus from what we've seen the Wraith weren't as advanced as the Lanteen ships .Their Hyper drive work best inside a galaxy ,not up for the long distance travel between Galaxies like Earth ships.As we saw Weir sent Daedalus and orion after Wriath hive ships because they had to stop to recharge their hyperdrive and bleed off radiation on their organic hull.Plus they had to still the upgrade plans from Atlantis so their ships can make the trip .

But from what we understand Atlantis was under attack by the wraith .So making a run for it at the time with Altantis was out of the question so it was abandon and I guess they were going to come back for it but they had a plague hit them and were not able to go back for Atlantis .So some died some Asended and atlantis was forgot and only mention in story by some surviving Alterians .Plus they did not know if the wraith were still on Atlantian outpost .

If the ZPMS didn't have enough power to make it that far they would had the ablity to make more of them on Atlantis and the Expedition Team would have found by not or the Alterains would have brought back with them to Earth or Destroied it .

So I'm guessing there was not real place for them to bring Atlantis back to on earth or any other planet ,back in the Milky way .The was the fear of some one from the Trust getting to it easier .With it in the Pegaus Galaxy it 's of dangerous hands .So dividing the 3 ZPMS up 1 to earth to power the Anciet out post and it droins 1 to power the City ship and the gate to keep in contact with earth and possible evacution of Atlantis should the Wraith launch a All Offensive at Atlantis . 1 to power the Ships that do the run from earth to Peagus Galaxy Faster and to give the ship a better advantagre in a fight if they run into a Wraith Hive ship or Ori warship.

Footnote :also the Wraith have no ship yards .Also no real ship type egineers to repair thier ships .The only real threat was from each other .The Wraith would only wake up in small Groups so thee would be enough food for that group untill the next group woke up .Their Hive ships would land on a planet and sit for hundreds of years .The Daedalus and Apollo and Odesey are the only Real threats to them in 10,000 years since the ancients left.

ok I'm changing my name to WASHO THE GREATEST SCINETIST IN THE UNIVERSE HAHAHAHAHAHA
                  just kidding Tenchi fans would hate me

Comment

Your 100% right I've been asking myself that question since Return Part II. There is absolutely no good reason why Atlantis wouldn't just return to Earth, but whatever, it'll never be explained.
                    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Real answer: Plot and decision-related reasons. If they were to successfully make it back to the Milky Way, then the action would shift away from the Pegasus to that aforementioned galaxy, and TPTB don't want that since it's SG-1's home turf and they want to try and keep both shows separate for the most part.

Comment

Better Question is why didnt the fly it back at the end of the Return part 2.
                        If they had sent atlantis to Earth then they could have avoided all of the situations, and they could have still explored the pegasus galaxy from Earth. We have the midway station, we can dial and program the forwarding program to any stargate in any galaxy. We can send a PJ team from atlantis, in the MW, to Pegasus. The deadalus could be kept in Pegasus with more coming if they need help. Meanwhile atlantis can be upgraded with Asgard technology from Unending and become the centerpiece of our fleet.
                        Also 3 ZPM is more than enough to get atlantis to Earth. it can fly to another star system with 1, three is plenty.
                        Once on Earth they could study atlantis and use it to beat the Ori. Then once the replicator weapons are completed, take a trip to the PG to defeat the asurians, after the fall, nick everything they had like the ZPMS and auroras. Use them fight the wraith using our troops. We could have survived much better by flying Atlantis to Earth IMO.
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        Stargate : Genesis |
                        Original Starship DesignThread
                        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                        11000! green me

Comment

It's the same reason they still ventured out into the woods for no reason after they'd tricked the Wraith into thinking they were all dead, and thus had secured perfect safety to work on Atlantis unbothered.

They're apparently idiots that like to make things harder on themselves than they have to be.

Or like Lord of Nightmares was getting it. They wrote it that way because they wanted to hit the reset button like usual and expected you'd be too stupid to notice there was anything especially off about it this time. They want to give out this wanktech like halloween candy but at the same time they want to avoid dealing with the implications of having that stuff around in future stories. The solution, reset button.

Just look at the Sg finale.
                          Spoiler:
                          "Oh we've got a uber ship" "Oh wait we won't be able to use it after this episode because the Ori can suddenly somehow track it and swarm it with ships for reasons we won't even attempt to explian."

Comment

Yeah agree with Unending, it was pretty absurd, i mean the Ori have like 9 ships, and they sent 5 after us combined. Surely that would just be stupid, considering we just destroyed x amount and we were clearly able to fight back now. and why didnt they just go to earth? It was stupidly obvious, the Orii havent attacked earth and if we just got the ship there wed be safe..
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

ok lets say they get to earth still fully powered and cloaked, baal and his trust friends would beam in and steal stuff and with all that technology baal would do anything to get it

the earth united nations of stargate would all want a piece of that city

ori would maybe stay away since being scared of such power

hell, maybe the president of the united states wuld want to live there
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X