This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genii: political statement?

It seems to me that with the Genii, the writers are trying to make a political statement... The Genii don't come off as completely evil like the other SG villains do...it seems like the Genii are analogous to what's going on in the real world now... The Genii will take any means necessary to destroy the wraith...they like pre-emptive strikes...they viel themselves in secrecy...and they would gladly betray their allies to achieve their ends...

It just seems like they are trying to emulate the left wing view of America under Bush....

I think you are over reading it.

Comment

mm last time i checked Bush didn't invade an ally to steal their tech and ships.

Do you really think Bush resembles these people?

Comment

I don't really see it that way. It seems like Stargate doesn't really touch on major political issues (if they do, I haven't noticed it so they must be doing it pretty indirectly).
        Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
        RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
          I think you are over reading it.
          I agree with Fischer.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewbert
            mm last time i checked Bush didn't invade an ally to steal their tech and ships.

Do you really think Bush resembles these people?
            Yeah, didn't you know he went there to steal all of Iraq's superior technology and to gain insight from the calm, clean, and superior culture. He also wanted to learn how to respect women. Iraq seemed perfect, so he invaded.

Comment

Everyone knows Bush invaded Iraq because he found out there was a Stargate buried there.
              Games 'n Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlor
                Everyone knows Bush invaded Iraq because he found out there was a Stargate buried there.
                So what's he looking for now, a sarcophagus for his folks? Another DHD?

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

and to gain insight from the calm, clean, and superior culture.
                  Now that is just plain racist! Now what on earth makes you think America has a "superior culture" compared to Iraq. That is probably the most dumbest statement I have heard.

There is no such thing called "superior culture", heck even America allowed Women to vote only in 1960 if that was your assesment of a "superior culture".

So stop living in a world called you are "superior cultre" and get down to earth, bcoz that statement was very offensive.

And btw I am not Middle Eastern, Muslim, Iraqi, or an Arab.

Comment

I think the post was only made as a slight joke, even if it was a little crude. I agree though, no culture can comment on being better than another really.

"All men are equal, but some men are more equal than others" comes to mind.

Comment

I don't see it, the situations are quite different. And very little Bush has done is veiled in secrecy, it's all been pretty blatent.

Comment

Originally posted by Markey2
                        I think the post was only made as a slight joke, even if it was a little crude. I agree though, no culture can comment on being better than another really.

"All men are equal, but some men are more equal than others" comes to mind.
                        true.
                        "all religions are equally sane on the inside and insane on the outside"
                        -heinlein
                        the same aplies to cultures, my culture is the the best to be cause it's mine, yours is to you cause it's yours. But no culture is really better or best just different.

Comment

Originally posted by kkdkckrl
                          Now that is just plain racist! Now what on earth makes you think America has a "superior culture" compared to Iraq. That is probably the most dumbest statement I have heard.

There is no such thing called "superior culture", heck even America allowed Women to vote only in 1960 if that was your assesment of a "superior culture".

So stop living in a world called you are "superior cultre" and get down to earth, bcoz that statement was very offensive.

And btw I am not Middle Eastern, Muslim, Iraqi, or an Arab.
                          Actually, I think he's dead on. BTW, when did Iraqi become it's own race?
                          How could they leave me out?

Comment

"heck even America allowed Women to vote only in 1960"

Women got the right to vote in 1920 with the 19th Admendment

Just an FYI

Comment

Often times it's far too easy to read 'hidden' messages in science fiction plots. Especially in difficult political times. I think it's very important when you make an accusation like comparing the democratically elected president (and no, I didn't vote for him, and I'm not going to vote for him, but he's still the leader of my country) with a tv villian is going a little too far.

It's also probably best to remember that most of the people who posted in this thread have been a little tongue in cheek. Posters should be very careful before they assume that people are serious about such things or throw around terms like 'racist.'

Especially when their facts are, incorrect. As Tim stated, the 19th Amendment was passed in 1920. Eight years before the United Kingdom and well in line with most western countries sufferage movements.

Comment

Working...
                              X