Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 'This Mortal Coil' pre-airing discussion and speculation thread (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'This Mortal Coil' pre-airing discussion and speculation thread (Spoilers)

New Episode title has been revealed on Joe Mallozzi's Blog (15/04/07)

This episode is most likely the first part of the mid season two parter and has been described by Mallozzi as very different from other 2 parters so far on Atlantis.

It has been described by Joe Mallozzi as being Weir focused
    sigpic

Well, technically, he said that it is an episode "fans should be looking forward to most for [Weir]"

Not quite the same as it'll be focused on her.

Comment

If you look up "This mortal Coil" it could easily be a Shakespearean reference and there is an online stanza from here:

http://shakespeare.about.com/od/stud.../tobeornot.htm

Various sources point out the meaning of that is to die... and about.com says,

"Definition: to separate from one's body (mortal coil = body)."

So... if that definition holds up they may be possibly* finishing off Weir in some way? I'm thinking she'll be ascended because she is an expert on it and I don't think she'll recover from her wounds.

Criticism?
      Geral Corasjo

Comment

Weir isn't going anywhere. Joe has said that they never intended for the character to be gone for good.

Comment

Actually the episode is titled "This Mortal Coil"...so you should probably update the thread title accordingly.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I already sent a message to the mods.

Comment

Dug this up from JM's blog, posted a week or so ago.

Apparently, the script elves have abandoned me as no progress has been made on the first part of the mid-season two-parter since Tuesday’s creative outburst. I stalled out on page twenty-five - not so coincidentally, the scene in which the team seeks the explanation to a stunning revelation. This, of course, would be followed by the scene in which the team privately comes to term with said revelation. Tough, tough scenes in which I have to reveal…

…not only fact A and fact B, but the how’s and why’s of B which ultimately segue into A’s uncertain relationship with C and D’s ultimate fate.

Comment

I see the title of the thread has changed...but it's still wrong.

THIS Mortal Coil.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hey, isn't this the episode in which Carson is supposed to make his reappearence..??

Comment

Originally posted by Stranded On Earth View Post
                    Hey, isn't this the episode in which Carson is supposed to make his reappearence..??
                    nope he'll be back later in the season
                    sigpic

Comment

Upps..

Comment

This Mortal Coil and Tabula Rasha is the same episode? Did JM rename it?
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by SallyLizzie View Post
                          Dug this up from JM's blog, posted a week or so ago.
                          I totally forgot about that. JM has been discussing this ep for ages and I sort of overlooked it. I will need to have a think about it a bit more now.

I'm starting to get some theories about it now. It's become a lot more interesting now that I know it's an episode that Elizabeth is going to be in because:
                          1) they wouldn't bring her back for an episode unless it was really interesting and important
                          2) if Elizabeth has a mentionable role in this episode, then my view is that the mid-season 2 parter will be concerning the replicators rather than the wraith. I see the replicators now as Elizabeth's sort of personal enemy story.

livejournal l My Heroes l Shep l Elizabeth l Rodney l Michael l Smile!
                          ~You are who you choose to be~

Comment

Originally posted by Geral View Post
                            If you look up "This mortal Coil" it could easily be a Shakespearean reference and there is an online stanza from here:

http://shakespeare.about.com/od/stud.../tobeornot.htm

Various sources point out the meaning of that is to die... and about.com says,

"Definition: to separate from one's body (mortal coil = body)."

So... if that definition holds up they may be possibly* finishing off Weir in some way? I'm thinking she'll be ascended because she is an expert on it and I don't think she'll recover from her wounds.

Criticism?
                            OK I just had another idea and it can link into your idea sort of. I think you are on the right lines in a way, but the outcome wouldn't be so tragic.

1) So I'm still gonna say this is a replicator episode.
                            2) The definition does seem to mean something very simular to ascending. We know the replicators are obsessed with wanting to ascend.
                            3) You are right in saying Elizabeth is an expert on ascending.
                            4) Put all that together and we get a story focussing more on the replicators desire to ascend. I'm already thinking that the replicators will have something to do with Elizabeth's disappearance in early season 4 episodes, which could link to the poem line 'One of our own the enemy courts', because the replicators need Elizabeth in order to learn how to ascend.
                            5) This also gives her a big part to play in the episode, without it being centric to her character.

And that is how the about.com definition, that sounds simular to ascending, links to Elizabeth, without her being the one who actually ascends.

...and that is all I have for now.

livejournal l My Heroes l Shep l Elizabeth l Rodney l Michael l Smile!
                            ~You are who you choose to be~

Comment

Originally posted by SazZat View Post
                              OK I just had another idea and it can link into your idea sort of. I think you are on the right lines in a way, but the outcome wouldn't be so tragic.

1) So I'm still gonna say this is a replicator episode.
                              2) The definition does seem to mean something very simular to ascending. We know the replicators are obsessed with wanting to ascend.
                              3) You are right in saying Elizabeth is an expert on ascending.
                              4) Put all that together and we get a story focussing more on the replicators desire to ascend. I'm already thinking that the replicators will have something to do with Elizabeth's disappearance in early season 4 episodes, which could link to the poem line 'One of our own the enemy courts', because the replicators need Elizabeth in order to learn how to ascend.
                              5) This also gives her a big part to play in the episode, without it being centric to her character.

And that is how the about.com definition, that sounds simular to ascending, links to Elizabeth, without her being the one who actually ascends.

...and that is all I have for now.
                              I don't think the replicators need Elizabeth in order to learn how to ascend. Other than that, Weir will have important part in this episode for sure. But I'd have to say that I don't think it's a replicator story, or at least not the ones we know of. ( We to take under consideration that there are nine episodes before This Mortal Coil, and remember they're supposed to have been drifting for at least 24 hours before they found a new place to settle in the PG.) So maybe the bad guys in this ep are similar to the one we used to know, but definately not the same. Sure there aren't 100 types of replicators, but who knows. Just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X