• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi's Online Tribute to SG1

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....ine_tribu.html

CHICAGO TRIBUNE
    4-13-07

An online tribute to 'Stargate SG-1'

Sci Fi has unveiled a special tribute site for "Stargate SG-1," which begins its final run of episodes Friday.

The site, www.scifi.com/stargate, will allow users to share their favorite "SG-1" moments, submit video tributes and test their knowledge of Ba'al, Teal'c and all other "SG-1" knowledge. (Extensive knowledge of outer-space names with commas in the middle is not mandatory, but certainly encouraged.)

*READ REST OF ARTICLE AT LINK ABOVE*

You gotta read the comments

Am I the only one who feel this event is a bit bizarre after the SciFi Channel cancelled the series? If GW or other fan page begin such tribute, I would be happy, but now I am sad.
    Last edited by Platschu; 16 April 2007, 02:10 AM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      Am I the only one who feel this event is a bit bizarre after the SciFi Channel cancelled the series? If GW or other fan page begin such tribute, I would be happy, but now I am sad.
      actually, read the comments on the chicago tribune page. your remark pales in comparison to how many viewers feel. get out the asbestos gloves!

Comment

I hope they won't boycott SciFi channel, because we need good rating for season 3 and 4, but the SciFi website should forget this whole tribute or they will get Sky One TV-rip videos from the fans.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
          http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....ine_tribu.html

CHICAGO TRIBUNE
          4-13-07

An online tribute to 'Stargate SG-1'

Sci Fi has unveiled a special tribute site for "Stargate SG-1," which begins its final run of episodes Friday.

The site, www.scifi.com/stargate, will allow users to share their favorite "SG-1" moments, submit video tributes and test their knowledge of Ba'al, Teal'c and all other "SG-1" knowledge. (Extensive knowledge of outer-space names with commas in the middle is not mandatory, but certainly encouraged.)

*READ REST OF ARTICLE AT LINK ABOVE*

You gotta read the comments

Their original network, Showtime, FIRST canceled Stargate SG-1 during its FIFTH Season. The SciFi Channel picked up Stargate SG-1 for a 6th season (granted, they may have only done so because they had just picked up the exclusive US rights to syndication of previous SG-1 seasons, but I digress).

SG-1's 6th season did so well for SciFi Channel, that they ordered a 7th season.

And then an 8th season.

And a 9th.

And finally a 10th season.

After ten seasons, the salaries of the cast, staff and crew of the series were too prohibitive for the SciFi Channel to maintain. MGM declined to pony up any additional monies.

Sure, SciFi Channel has made some mistakes. Every one does.

But if it wasn't for the SciFi Channel, we wouldn't have received FIVE more seasons of Stargate SG-1 (an additional 104 episodes), three seasons of Stargate Atlantis (60 episodes), with season four of SGA due this Fall.

I'd prefer to THANK SciFi Channel for the extra five seasons of Stargate SG-1 -- and for the wonderful, exciting, delicious episodes we've been gifted with. "The Quest, Part Two," and "The Return, Part Two" that aired Friday, April 13th were terrific. Looking forward to the rest of the seasons for both SG-1 and SGA.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
          SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
          Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I don't think it's bizarre. I think it's nice for Scifi to do a tribute for SG-1. The show was on for 10 years, 5 of those with Scifi. All shows end at some point, even Law and Order. I can't find fault with Scifi for airing Stargate for 5 years after it was cancelled from Showtime. Without Scifi, Stargate would've ended a long time ago.

To me, it would've been weirder for them to just ignore the fact that SG-1 is ending. A tribute is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
              I don't think it's bizarre. I think it's nice for Scifi to do a tribute for SG-1. The show was on for 10 years, 5 of those with Scifi. All shows end at some point, even Law and Order. I can't find fault with Scifi for airing Stargate for 5 years after it was cancelled from Showtime. Without Scifi, Stargate would've ended a long time ago.

To me, it would've been weirder for them to just ignore the fact that SG-1 is ending. A tribute is nice.
              I think some fans find the whole idea of a tribute as a slap in the face because Skiffy are the folks who pulled the plug. The SG1 movies are continuing because of MGM, not SciFi. They're putting more effort into their SG1 page right now than before, and are ignoring the SGA page, which is odd as that's the show they're continuing to help pay for.

But then this is SciFi, who thought that show about scaring people was a hoot too. It was so good I can't even remember the name of it

Comment

But who else would pull the plug if not Skiffy? Did fans really think the show would go on forever?

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
                  But who else would pull the plug if not Skiffy? Did fans really think the show would go on forever?
                  After reading posts on various boards, um, er, yes, I think some fans thought it would last forever (or at least want it to last forever)....

Comment

After reading posts on various boards, um, er, yes, I think some fans thought it would last forever (or at least want it to last forever)....
                    Not forever. But another season would have been nice to wrap things up properly. At least IMO.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                      But if it wasn't for the SciFi Channel, we wouldn't have received FIVE more seasons of Stargate SG-1 (an additional 104 episodes), three seasons of Stargate Atlantis (60 episodes), with season four of SGA due this Fall.

I'd prefer to THANK SciFi Channel for the extra five seasons of Stargate SG-1 -- and for the wonderful, exciting, delicious episodes we've been gifted with. "The Quest, Part Two," and "The Return, Part Two" that aired Friday, April 13th were terrific. Looking forward to the rest of the seasons for both SG-1 and SGA.
                      I got thank Sci-Fi for the extra 5 seasons because it ended after 5 season, I would've never caught on. And besides, odds say SGA would've been on Showtime if SG-1 wasn't saved by Sci-Fi.

It will live on forever, in fan fiction. Which reminds me that I have to update my fan fiction.
                      sigpic

Comment

Not only the fans, but the SG crew thought too there will be a 11th season. I am thankful for the SciFi Channel for the last 5 season, but now I am disappointed. They made their best season imho and they deserve a tribute.

Comment

Was it not Sci-Fi that cut our show short?

i dont care what they do! It is SCI-FI's fault that we have no season 11, and so many unanswered questions!

I did not want it to go on forever. just another season to finish off the ori storyline over a few episodes and answer some unanswered questions from previous episodes. then maybe a movie. thats all the fans wanted. Sci-fi cancelled the show because of ratings and replaced it with stupid shows and that angers me. i dont watch the sci-fi channel over here anymore because the sci-fi shows have been replaced with crap!!!!!
                          Where is Firefly, Farscape and all the other great shows. Cancelled by Sci-fi!
                          Thankyou SG-1 for 10 great years!
                          sigpic
                          sig made by kidwizz

join Stargate Atlantis: save the lost city and lets get our show back

Comment

Team SG-1*save the show*: Don't be angry, please! I have the same feelings, but I don't want to hurt them, because SciFi Channel is the future of Atlantis and the third SG series. I hope we get 4-5-6 DVD movies in 2008, which is almost a half season (double episodes!). They will get more money to special effects, more creative time to wrote bigger, better SG-1 stories. I think every fan will be happy. OK, it won't be equal to a new season, but other shows don't have such oppurtinities after cancelling and I think the crew will fascinate us. So you can be angry to SciFi Channel, but you should see the interest of the SG franchise too.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              Team SG-1*save the show*: Don't be angry, please! I have the same feelings, but I don't want to hurt them, because SciFi Channel is the future of Atlantis and the third SG series. I hope we get 4-5-6 DVD movies in 2008, which is almost a half season (double episodes!). They will get more money to special effects, more creative time to wrote bigger, better SG-1 stories. I think every fan will be happy. OK, it won't be equal to a new season, but other shows don't have such oppurtinities after cancelling and I think the crew will fascinate us. So you can be angry to SciFi Channel, but you should see the interest of the SG franchise too.
                              yeah i suppose. i just get carried away i really wanted an 11th season but we do still have Atlantis and im hoping the third series will be as good as SG1 and Atlantis.
                              I just had a look at the site and it does promote the show. i had a go on the hard quiz and got 10/10!!!
                              Thankyou SG-1 for 10 great years!
                              sigpic
                              sig made by kidwizz

join Stargate Atlantis: save the lost city and lets get our show back

Comment

Working...
                              X