PDA

View Full Version : How Will Carter Get Along With Atlantis?

Why Carson? Why?
April 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Just wanter to see how everyone thinks Carter will get along with everyone, Well i think we all know how she'll get along wioth McKay but what about everone else.

I'd like to see how Ronon, Teyla and Carson get along with her mainly.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Warning snark ahead....

The only people she'll have to get along with is Shep and McKay since it's basically their show. And since we already know what happens to Rodney when his precious Sam is around, I don't look forward to their interactions. And Sheppard will probably be handled the military way.

Blame this on a very bad day. :mckay:

Why Carson? Why?
April 12th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Lol yeah i know how you feel just finished a 13 hour day but i still reckon itl be good to see how they all react :mckayanime09:

jenks
April 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
If previous writing is anything to go by, everyone will probably love her, she'll make all the right decisions and be generally perfect YAWN...

PG15
April 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Well, the characters aren't children; they might miss Elizabeth, but I'm sure they'll treat Carter with respect, if not friendship right away.

Why Carson? Why?
April 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah i see that as the easy way out for the Writers/TPTB to get carter in there i wana see the atlantis expadition be different to her as if weir dies/coma/Recurring then sam might be the Leader and not really get along with them.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM
...but i still reckon itl be good to see how they all react :mckayanime09:

Yeah, I don't really know how they will react. I'm thinking it'll just be, "Hi, I'm Cl. Sam Carter and I'm your new leader. (Bow before me!)" and that's about it.

Personally I want some distrust from all of them, especially the civilians. Remember that in The Siege II, Sheppard wanted Weir included in the loop (since she is the loop, thank you Zelenka) and because the members of the expedition trusted her.

Carter is military first, and only then a scientist (who only knows her field of science and probably thinks medicine is voodoo like Rodney).

I expect to see the same kind of relationship between her and Teyla as the one Teyla and Elizabeth shared, none whatsoever or maybe a fake-forced-looking friendship. Ronon will hopefully be one big oile of distrust towards the newbie and Sheppard has no other choice but to interact since she outranks him. And who else is there?

Zelenka will have to take a step aside to allow for more McKay/Carter-banter. Keller will probably not have any sort of relationship with the new leader than that she works for her, answers to her.

The Asurans and the Wraith will want to kill/eat her. The Genii...I don't know what they are up to.

Anything else?

PG15
April 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Carter is military first, and only then a scientist (who only knows her field of science and probably thinks medicine is voodoo like Rodney).

Actually, she's helped with surgery before.

I know you're having a bad day, but really, if you're going to criticize, at least know a little about the thing you're criticizing.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2007, 02:55 PM

And that makes her qualified how? It doesn't mean you'll be able to help out in any of the other medical problems that may arise. Hell, everyone would be able to assist in surgery, as long as someone tells you what to do.

I wasn't criticizing in my second posting. I would have warned for more snark if I was.

Why Carson? Why?
April 12th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Lol someone seems upset :samanime15:. Actualy yes if McKay is in love with Carter how will that interfeir with his new romance (Forgot her name)

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Lol someone seems upset :samanime15:. Actualy yes if McKay is in love with Carter how will that interfeir with his new romance (Forgot her name)

Dr. Katie Brown, the botanist Rodney is dating.

I don't think he's in love with Carter. He's just having an unhealthy obsession with blonde's, Carter being his biggest one.

marty2006
April 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Its sam carter foremost expert on the gate itself and member of sg1, who she is and what shes done demands respect.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Its sam carter foremost expert on the gate itself and member of sg1, who she is and what shes done demands respect.

She's Miss Perfection impersonated, that in itself deems her worthy of a temple.

* Snark, I guess... :p

PG15
April 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM
And that makes her qualified how? It doesn't mean you'll be able to help out in any of the other medical problems that may arise. Hell, everyone would be able to assist in surgery, as long as someone tells you what to do.

I wasn't criticizing in my second posting. I would have warned for more snark if I was.

Maybe you should read what I quoted? You said she thinks medicine was voodoo, I pointed out she obviously doesn't. The end.

Really, if you're having a bad day, bringing that here doesn't make anyone's lives better. "Having a bad day" is no excuse for being insulting.

ColCaldwell
April 12th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I wonder if Carter will be promoted to Colonel or higher. If not, Col Calwell or Ellis would be able to take command when they arrive.

prion
April 12th, 2007, 03:04 PM

I know you're having a bad day, but really, if you're going to criticize, at least know a little about the thing you're criticizing.

And no offense, but I can't recall what idiot wrote that scene. Carter is NOT a medical doctor. She's astrophysics. Would you let say, a general practicioner work on a nuclear reactor? Nope. It was bad writing to bring Carter into a medical situation. The only thing she or Jackson or McKay are capable of in a medical situation is passing a surgical instrument. Period.

Gaw, it's the CSI syndrome. These 'doctors' can do EVERYTHING.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Really, if you're having a bad day, bringing that here doesn't make anyone's lives better. "Having a bad day" is no excuse for being insulting.

I'm not being insulting...Where am I being insulting? Is it insult to think someone who's field of expertise is Astropysics may think medicine is voodoo? Is it an insult that I compared Carter to Rodney? Or are you just insulted I used my bad day as an excuse for my brief snark-fest?

And for the record, I do like Carter on SG1. So, don't go throwing around next that I'm anti-Carter.

Why Carson? Why?
April 12th, 2007, 03:06 PM
All in all i think we can all agree that season 4 should be good and that TPTB shouldnt make it easy for Carter to earn their trust streight away. Do you at ALL think that Carter may be jeleous of Katie and McKay I mean she may of always said she dosnt like McKay but that could just be a solid front and seeing him with another girl might make her just a wee bit jeleous....IMO

Why Carson? Why?
April 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I wonder if Carter will be promoted to Colonel or higher. If not, Col Calwell or Ellis would be able to take command when they arrive.

Yeah i wonder weither she will or not hmmm... well it would've been along time if she's heading there in her own ship so there CAldwell or Ellis could be filling in till she gets there.

marty2006
April 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM
All in all i think we can all agree that season 4 should be good and that TPTB shouldnt make it easy for Carter to earn their trust streight away. Do you at ALL think that Carter may be jeleous of Katie and McKay I mean she may of always said she dosnt like McKay but that could just be a solid front and seeing him with another girl might make her just a wee bit jeleous....IMO

Lol i doubt it, relieved more like.

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Mmmm.... I highly doubt she'll be jealous. She might find it funny to see him dating.

Why Carson? Why?
April 12th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Lol yeah i spose i mean we wouldnt wany McKays head to get that big having two female of the species like him, i mean then he might actualy pass for being social... Who am i kidding McKay Social HAH.

PG15
April 12th, 2007, 03:16 PM
And no offense, but I can't recall what idiot wrote that scene. Carter is NOT a medical doctor. She's astrophysics. Would you let say, a general practicioner work on a nuclear reactor? Nope. It was bad writing to bring Carter into a medical situation. The only thing she or Jackson or McKay are capable of in a medical situation is passing a surgical instrument. Period.

Gaw, it's the CSI syndrome. These 'doctors' can do EVERYTHING.

Oh believe me, I don't like it that much either. But, well...it's canon.

I'm not being insulting...Where am I being insulting? Is it insult to think someone who's field of expertise is Astropysics may think medicine is voodoo? Is it an insult that I compared Carter to Rodney? Or are you just insulted I used my bad day as an excuse for my brief snark-fest?

And for the record, I do like Carter on SG1. So, don't go throwing around next that I'm anti-Carter.

I apologize; insulting was the wrong word here. I was posting in several threads and got the various posts mixed up. Sorry again.

Hmmm...maybe change "insult" to excessive snarkage? :p

Falcon Horus
April 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I apologize; insulting was the wrong word here. I was posting in several threads and got the various posts mixed up. Sorry again.

Hmmm...maybe change "insult" to excessive snarkage? :p

Oh, okay... never mind then.... apologies excepted... :)

On the excessive snarkage...that's something I can't deny doing. Sorry. :o
But it'll stop now, cause I am off to lalaland. :D

Steve_the_Wraith
April 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM
It depends on how Weir's exit is handled

If Weir is unable to lead the expedition through injury for example and Carter is her replacement I think people will accept maybe a bit grudgingly but after all the violence in Atlantis recently I don't think tey'll complain

If Weir is OK and has been replaced by Carter - I think there willl be hostility to Carter, atleast initially

343_Guilty_Spark
April 12th, 2007, 04:48 PM
You have to look at it like this. Carter goin to atlantis is good in one way but in another its bad. on the good side she is an able fighter and at times a good tactician. she also understand the Acients technology to an extent. on the bad side there may be conflict between her and the off world population of atlantis. because they may see her as an outsider and therefore untrustworthy.

jenks
April 12th, 2007, 04:54 PM
You have to look at it like this. Carter goin to atlantis is good in one way but in another its bad. on the good side she is an able fighter and at times a good tactician. she also understand the Acients technology to an extent. on the bad side there may be conflict between her and the off world population of atlantis. because they may see her as an outsider and therefore untrustworthy.

Well at the minute the offworld population is 2, maybe 3 people, so I doubt she'll have much trouble :p

Skydiver
April 12th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Let's try something novel here.

DO NOT let this turn into a weir vs carter thread. If it does then it's exactly like the other threads that exist and it'll just get shut down.

How about trying to have a real discussion about Sam's eventual relationships with the other characters. And by discussion i don't mean snark and snipe. I mean a real discussion.

How will Shep, Rod, Teyla, ROnon, Caldwell, etc all act and interact with sam?

jenks
April 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I think Ronon will either dislike her from the start, or tptb will give him a 'thing' for her, and Teyla can get jelous...

Alipeeps
April 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM

No they wouldn't. Not unless they are specifically assigned to Atlantis. Caldwell has outranked Sheppard for all of Season 2 and 3 BUT he is not assigned to Atlantis and is not in the chain of command at Atlantis so he can't take over (much as he might like to) and he has no say over how Sheppard runs his command.

Uber
April 12th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I think she'll mesh really well in Atlantis. She has a 10 year history of being a team player and of respecting those she works with...well as long as they prove themselves to be respectable.

I get the sense she'll be there because she's told to be...and that right there suggests potential for a lot of character growth and some fantastic interaction.

What if Sam is forced to be there? What if she's only begrudgingly obeying orders? She wouldn't complain but there'd still be that undercurrent of discontent. What if Weir is removed from her position due to politics? That opens the door for some good old fashioned resentment from some of the Atlantis crew.

I really kind of hope that that's how Weir leaves because it would be so meaty from a tension standpoint. What if Sheppard resents Sam? Obeys her orders but only to the letter of the law or argues back because that's how it was done "before"? What if Teyla, although saddened by losing Liz, welcomes Sam more openly, causing some discontent among the others who want to hold a grudge against her?

I think or rather hope that Sam has to do something to prove herself to them. I hope she's not automatically accepted but rather they all earn each other's trust over time. Not that I want that to be a series long arc...but at least for a few episodes.

Ooh and Caldwell. I'll bet he'll be less than thrilled that he is looked over for a position he thought he'd fill for Carter...who yes, is an officer, but is not nearly as trigger happy as he is. Not as gruff and tough. I'll bet he'll resent her too.

So sure there's lots of potential for some great character interaction and growth for all of them...watching Sam as she's awkward in this new role and trying to find her place in a situation she probably never wanted to be in and seeing how each of the team members chooses to accept or reject her presence.

Could be really juicy stuff if done well.

Killdeer
April 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Quote in spoiler tags to save space:

What if Sam is forced to be there? What if she's only begrudgingly obeying orders? She wouldn't complain but there'd still be that undercurrent of discontent. What if Weir is removed from her position due to politics? That opens the door for some good old fashioned resentment from some of the Atlantis crew.

I really kind of hope that that's how Weir leaves because it would be so meaty from a tension standpoint. What if Sheppard resents Sam? Obeys her orders but only to the letter of the law or argues back because that's how it was done "before"? What if Teyla, although saddened by losing Liz, welcomes Sam more openly, causing some discontent among the others who want to hold a grudge against her?

I think or rather hope that Sam has to do something to prove herself to them. I hope she's not automatically accepted but rather they all earn each other's trust over time. Not that I want that to be a series long arc...but at least for a few episodes.

Ooh and Caldwell. I'll bet he'll be less than thrilled that he is looked over for a position he thought he'd fill for Carter...who yes, is an officer, but is not nearly as trigger happy as he is. Not as gruff and tough. I'll bet he'll resent her too.

So sure there's lots of potential for some great character interaction and growth for all of them...watching Sam as she's awkward in this new role and trying to find her place in a situation she probably never wanted to be in and seeing how each of the team members chooses to accept or reject her presence.

Could be really juicy stuff if done well.

I think it would be awesome if it worked out exactly like this. They definately need to have some tension - at least initially.

Uber
April 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I think Ronon will either dislike her from the start, or tptb will give him a 'thing' for her, and Teyla can get jelous...I bet you're wrong.

I think like Amanda suggested, Sam will see him and have a soft spot for him because he'll remind her of Teal'c and he'll respect her as a seasoned warrior. He might initially hold some resentment toward her for taking Weir's place if say Weir is removed for political reasons...but I think over time she'll win them over and they'll respect her and appreciate what she'll bring to the expedition.

Uber
April 12th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Quote in spoiler tags to save space:

I think it would be awesome if it worked out exactly like this. They definately need to have some tension - at least initially.Well see one of the biggest problems I had with Season 9 of SG-1 was that a new member was added to the team and there really was no tension or growing pains or anything. The entire team was dismantled and reformed to put this new person in place...and there were no noticeable reactions from the veterans.

I'm sorry to those who thought that worked out really well...but to me, it rang as being completely unnatural. Even when you have a new team member who's a great fit, there will be tension and misunderstandings and missteps and growing pains.

I hope that TPTB realize this mistake and will endeavor to not repeat it on SGA. I mean I'm sure they thought that this would make things easier transition wise...but really it doesn't.

I'm saying this as a Carter fan...PLEASE let there be irritation and frustration and arguments and misunderstandings and tension!!!! Especially if Weir is removed because of a bureaucratic decision.

I think it will help SGA fans get to know Sam in a more natural way and make for a smoother transition. Why? Because the team will be feeling what they're feeling and they'll be able to identify with the emotional struggles and journey they all face with this transition.

Skydiver
April 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM
i haven't seen that level of loyalty between weir and ronon to have him be too fussed

i think the biggest issue will be with shep and sam. He's not used to having to answer to anyone. him and liz were ratehr a pair when it came to running hte city. but he and sam won't have that relationship. she's his boss.

rod will try for the familiarity at first,but will likely have to be put in his place a bit by sam (nothing dramatic, just a simple setting of boundaries. they may have worked together before but now she's not his lab partner, she's his boss and he needs to accept that)

Killdeer
April 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I'm saying this as a Carter fan...PLEASE let there be irritation and frustration and arguments and misunderstandings and tension!!!! Especially if Weir is removed because of a bureaucratic decision.

I think it will help SGA fans get to know Sam in a more natural way and make for a smoother transition. Why? Because the team will be feeling what they're feeling and they'll be able to identify with the emotional struggles and journey they all face with this transition.

Wow! Well, I feel like an idiot just saying "WORD" to your posts, but yeah, you're so completely right about this. :)

Uber
April 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM
i haven't seen that level of loyalty between weir and ronon to have him be too fussed

i think the biggest issue will be with shep and sam. He's not used to having to answer to anyone. him and liz were ratehr a pair when it came to running hte city. but he and sam won't have that relationship. she's his boss.

rod will try for the familiarity at first,but will likely have to be put in his place a bit by sam (nothing dramatic, just a simple setting of boundaries. they may have worked together before but now she's not his lab partner, she's his boss and he needs to accept that)You know I've seen a lot of people saying they're dreading the Sam/McKay interaction because they think that it'll just be a continuation of his crush on her...however I completely disagree with that assessment.

Firstly because Joe has confirmed that they aren't doing that and secondly because both Amanda and David have commented independently that yes, the banter is fun but there has to be more to their relationship than that.

And I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Sure, he might try initially try to continue as he was before...but things are different now. She's not a team mate...she's his superior. McKay will HATE the fact that she will have the power to override his opinions and decisions. He'll probably suggest that she's trying to shut him up because she's jealous of his mind or that he overshadows her or whatever.

Whereas I don't imagine they'll grow to hate each other or anything quite so melodramatic, I see a lot of potential for them to become more antagonistic toward each other.

And as for Sheppard, I think again you're right. He'll buck against it because they did things differently when Liz was around and he had more freedom before. But Sam isn't there on a TDY nor is she there as a subordinate or teammate. She's there to maintain order and command the facility and that means she'll probably be making very unpopular decisions at first.

Suzotchka
April 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I think it's going to be hard for Sam (for a while anyway). It's sort of like when you start a new job - how everyone has their 'cliques' and you feel out of place for a while (and you have trouble finding supplies for your desk). Does anyone know what I mean?

I think it all really depends on what happens to Weir and how that's handled. It will be interesting to see what happens in the Shep/Carter scenes (almost wrote Shep/Weir there for a minute) :P

Killdeer
April 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM

I agree. I hope they don't gloss this over....Sam and Shep need to have some tension for a while, IMO. I guess one of my biggest fears has been that they will just make Sam and Shep good buddies, like they did Sam and Mitchell. Maybe have them crack a few jokes together about Rodney as a bonding ritual. :S

rod will try for the familiarity at first,but will likely have to be put in his place a bit by sam (nothing dramatic, just a simple setting of boundaries. they may have worked together before but now she's not his lab partner, she's his boss and he needs to accept that)

In spite of his crush, I just can't see Rodney as being all that happy to have Sam in Atlantis, and definately not as his boss. Rodney is competitive, and territorial about what he perceives as "his" work. He's carved out a niche for himself on the Atlantis team, and I think he would, at least initially, see Sam's presence as a threat to that. What I'd like to see is Rodney with his hackles up about Sam being his boss, for a little bit anyway, and maybe some insecurity that he's not needed any longer because she's there. Maybe something like we saw in McKay & Mrs Miller. "Sam's here, she's nicer than me, she's prettier than me, and some people say she's smarter than me. What do they need me around for?"

Uber
April 12th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I think it's going to be hard for Sam (for a while anyway). It's sort of like when you start a new job - how everyone has their 'cliques' and you feel out of place for a while (and you have trouble finding supplies for your desk). Does anyone know what I mean?I totally do. Been there...done that. :)

And man if they don't let her experience any awkwardness or frustration...if they just shove her in place without any dissension, that will truly be a wasted opportunity and I think a really bad move. The audience relates to the team and how they feel; and if the team is frustrated or angry, that will translate to the audience too. So as Sam is forced to slowly win them over, she'll have a chance to win the viewership over as well.
I think it all really depends on what happens to Weir and how that's handled. It will be intereting to see what happens in the Shep/Carter scenes (almost wrote Shep/Weir there for a minute) :PAbsolutely. Like I said above, I expect there will be real tension and frustration...especially if Weir is forced out. But regardless, Shep and McKay I think will have it the worst because the command structure will shift and they'll have to make serious adjustments that I'm guessing they won't appreciate.

Skydiver
April 12th, 2007, 05:58 PM
in one way he may be happy, and i think he'll try for the friendship and commonality and familiarity...and sam will have to put him in his place.

and he'll maybe try to get her help on stuff - or try to hide it from her - and she'll either tell him to stop and do his job, or say 'dude, just do your job and leave me alone'

Steve_the_Wraith
April 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I definitly think Carter and McKay's "relationship" will take a beating at first, he's the only person who's ever been completely unawed by her, even though she's done all this stuff for 10 years he treats her like an equal (he might act like he's better but treats her as an equal) - which I think is something she finds refreshing (after everyone else putting her on a pedastal - expecting her to have all the answers) and is the basis of their friendship

But now Carter is his superior, his boss, and I definitly think he'll resent that, especially at first. Imagine what'll happen first time Carter turns down one of his plans, he'll have a fit because he considers her his equal, things will go even worse if she has a conflicting plan that she chooses to implement. In time he'll respect her authoritory but at first he'll accuse her of being impartial and choosing her own plan because she came up with it and not him

On the otherhand Carter isn't blameless herself, she can now order McKay around, giving her a tremendous amount of power over him. At the best of times he's arrogant and difficult to deal with, now she has the option of simply ordering him - making it very easy for her to cross the line between being a firm leader and being a dictator.

If I was tptb I'd definitly have her cross that line atleast once, to the entire expeditions peril, ignoring Rodney because he's being difficult and hopefully allowing both parties to realise they were wrong

Skydiver
April 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM
that woudl be interesting. it's conflict. and the show desperately needs conflict. we need more than ranting rod and hewo shep.

teyla needs to do something and, oh i dunno, get ticked off and try out some ethosian revenge thing. ronon needs to bake a cake, shep needs to let someone else save the day, rodney needs to...i dunno, have larangytis for a few episodes????

ahem, anyway.

I think teyla and sam will be hesitant at first. teyla seems open and i think sam gets along ok with aliens, but there is htat tension of sam replacing weir.

ronon and sam...i'm having a hard time picturing that, i just can't get a handle on it. I can't see any big issue because, other than hating the wraith, he sems to get along of with every one.

sam and caldwell could be interesting. Cause she's gonna have the job he wants...in a way. He's been in the peggy galaxy for a while and sam hasn't and she's the boss and he's not...it'll be interesting.

Killdeer
April 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM
If I was tptb I'd definitly have her cross that line atleast once, to the entire expeditions peril, ignoring Rodney because he's being difficult and hopefully allowing both parties to realise they were wrong

Yes, that would be a great episode. Not that Sam would do it out of malice or power issues, but I think it would good to have her screw up badly once, maybe because she didn't listen to Rodney, and then have something really bad happen. I think it would give some depth to her character to show the emotional fallout from that, to have to go on being the leader in spite of having her confidence in herself shaken. Maybe have it be a point of bonding between Sam and Rodney, to accept each other for what they are and work better together. I don't know if I'm making sense...it's late.

Mitchell82
April 12th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I definatly think she won't get along well.....at first. I imagine she will be very unwelcome by the Atlantis expedition and would take time to develop trust between the members of the expedition, that coupled with the fact she won't likely go willingly. I think it will be very interesting to see how the tension develops between everyone.

Agent_Dark
April 12th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Carter will make Sheppard and Teyla her b*tches, McKay her water-boy and Ronon her guard dog.

Professor Chaos
April 12th, 2007, 11:24 PM
A few things I want to see if she comes to Atlantis are:

- Her and Rodney working TOGETHER. I don't want her to be the perfect little genius they had in SG1 and I want Rodney to be right and solve the big disaster atleast once over her idea.

- She better not be promoted to Colonel. I want Shepherd to be in charge.

- Rodney better not be all bumbley and goofy acting when he's around her, and I don't want everybody to instantly adore her.

But most importantly, if she comes to Atlantis i'd hate it if she was the leader. John or Caldwell are much more likely candidates.

Why Carson? Why?
April 13th, 2007, 12:16 AM
A few things I want to see if she comes to Atlantis are:

- Her and Rodney working TOGETHER. I don't want her to be the perfect little genius they had in SG1 and I want Rodney to be right and solve the big disaster atleast once over her idea.

- She better not be promoted to Colonel. I want Shepherd to be in charge.

- Rodney better not be all bumbley and goofy acting when he's around her, and I don't want everybody to instantly adore her.

But most importantly, if she comes to Atlantis i'd hate it if she was the leader. John or Caldwell are much more likely candidates.

I agree with you in most Her and rodney should work together and IMO there shouldnt be any tention or rodney acting like a giddy little school he's got Katie now so yeah.

Although I just dont see Shep becoming the boss one i reckon he'd turn it down he loves saving the day to much and caldwell well lets just say if he becomes in charge that atlantis will fall to the Wraith/Asurans becaus yes he may be a good captain of a ship but he'd be way to offencive.

IMO anyway but yeah just hope it isnt a walk in the park for Carter and this is coming from someone whos watched SG1 since it first started (i was 10)

prion
April 13th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Hopefully everyone will look at carter like 'what the hell is she doing here?' and there's conflict. If tehre's no conflict, if everybody loves Carter, the show is doomed, becuase it will be BORING.

ACharmedAsgard
April 13th, 2007, 04:22 AM
There will be conflict with Carter and McKay being on the same planet - so there will be conflict. And yes I do think the team will react to Carter being there a little uneasy

Ripple in Space
April 13th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Since Ronan has NO chemistry with Wier (they even joked about it early on), it could be the same situation with Carter. I know it might bend continuity a little bit, but I wouldn't mind Carter take Ronan down in a sparring match.

:ronan: : This isn't a fair fight.
:sam: : Fine, I'll go easy on you.
:ronan: : That's not what I meant.....
[Carter dodges a few of Ronan's fancy moves, and then takes him down with an elbow to the face, and a leg sweep]

Killdeer
April 13th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Since Ronan has NO chemistry with Wier (they even joked about it early on), it could be the same situation with Carter. I know it might bend continuity a little bit, but I wouldn't mind Carter take Ronan down in a sparring match.

[Carter dodges a few of Ronan's fancy moves, and then takes him down with an elbow to the face, and a leg sweep]

Ah... well....I'm not disputing your right to your opinion, but for me...just...NO!! Like NO to the 10th power! I'm not even going to be happy if Carter beats Teyla, much less Ronan! We've seen her in a hand to hand fight like ...2x that I can remember? Way back in Emancipation, and then

recently in Road Not Taken.

Carter's hand to hand skills have been never been focused on. Her skill with a P-90 yes, but...It's taken as acknowledged that she's competant enough in hand to hand but it's not a focus for her that we've ever seen. For her to suddenly be such a master that she could beat either Teyla or Ronan, who practice constantly.... I wouldn't even be happy if she beat Sheppard, because Sheppard's been practicing with Teyla and Ronan for three years. I suppose we could assume that Teal'c or maybe even Vala taught her some moves, but we never saw that, so it would kind of be a retcon for her. That would really smack of Mary Sueism to me.

Sorry, just my opinion! :o

prion
April 13th, 2007, 08:45 AM

She'd be toast in a sparring match. He's got size, ferocity and the advantage of not playing by the rule book.;)

Skydiver
April 13th, 2007, 09:27 AM
i'm not too fond of the 'mine is bigger' school of boss hood.

IMHO, the only way i'd like to see sparring is friendly sparring, not a pissing match

Professor Chaos
April 13th, 2007, 09:27 AM

[Carter dodges a few of Ronan's fancy moves, and then takes him down with an elbow to the face, and a leg sweep]Oh god, if they pulled a stunt like that i'd never watch an episode with Carter in it again. It's bad enough she's a hot genius that's ALWAYS right and is apparently an expert in combat situations but saying she could take Ronon down who can take 5 marines without breaking a sweat is just an insult. Even if it is just a lucky hit or whatever the writers of Stargate really just need to give the Carter praising a break.

Ripple in Space
April 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Ah... well....I'm not disputing your right to your opinion, but for me...just...NO!! Like NO to the 10th power! I'm not even going to be happy if Carter beats Teyla, much less Ronan! We've seen her in a hand to hand fight like ...2x that I can remember? Way back in Emancipation, and then

recently in Road Not Taken.

Carter's hand to hand skills have been never been focused on. Her skill with a P-90 yes, but...It's taken as acknowledged that she's competant enough in hand to hand but it's not a focus for her that we've ever seen. For her to suddenly be such a master that she could beat either Teyla or Ronan, who practice constantly.... I wouldn't even be happy if she beat Sheppard, because Sheppard's been practicing with Teyla and Ronan for three years. I suppose we could assume that Teal'c or maybe even Vala taught her some moves, but we never saw that, so it would kind of be a retcon for her. That would really smack of Mary Sueism to me.

Oh, I know. I said it would bend continuity. I just think it would be uber funny :D.

If TPTB wanted to end the show, I think a finale like this would be pretty funny too:
:sheppard: : Thanks for saving our butts out there [referring to Carter helping Atlantis get to a planet].
:sam: : No problem, I was actually coming to help you with your Wraith situation. General O'Neill also said that those Asurans are pretty nasty too.
:sheppard: : Well thanks, we'll take all of the help we can get.
:sam: : Alright then, let's get started. Hey, Walter junior, dial up the Asuran homeworld [talking to Chuck].
:sheppard: : What are you doing that for? You don't plan on going there?
:sam: : Just because my reproductive organs are on the inside, doesn't mean that I can't hold my own in a fight.
:sheppard: : That's not what I'm saying. But not only are those Asurans as advanced as the Ancients, but they're essentially un-killable. We don't even have a working ARG on base.
:sam: : I don't need your approval colonel. I am the ranking officer, and General O'Neill has given me command of this expedition.
:sheppard: : I'm not sending my men in to get slaughtered.
:sam: : They're not your men colonel, and who said anything about sending troops to the Asuran homeworld.
:sheppard: : Well you just....
:sam: : I'm going alone.
:sheppard: : You? But....
:sam: : Don't make me give you the "reproductive organs" speech again. I'm giving you a direct order. Dial the gate.
CHUCK: Sir?
:sheppard: : She is the ranking officer.
:sam: : Thank you. Now give me your P90, and get McKay in here to give me his Tablet PC.
:sheppard: : Okay... [he radios McKay]. You do realize that a standard P90 doesn't have any effect on the Asurans?
:sam: : I'll make do.
[McKay runs in a few seconds later]
:mckay: : Sam, what are you doing?
CARTER: Sheppard will fill you in. [she takes the computer] I'll try to bring it back in one piece.

Ripple in Space
April 13th, 2007, 09:31 AM
[Clock elapses, four hours later in the Gate Room]
:sheppard: : What is it Chuck?
CHUCK: A CityShip just exited hyperspace, and is on course towards Atlantis. It also appears to be carrying 3 Aurora class vessels.
:sheppard: : McKay, raise the shields.
[Carter hologram appears in the room]
:sam: : That won't be necessary Colonel.
SHEP : What's going on?
CARTER : I'm in command of this vessel. The Asurans gave this ship, along with 3 ancient warships to me, as part of the surrender agreement.
:mckay: : We surrendered!?
:sam: : They did.
:mckay: : Wha-how?
:sam: : Well that's a long story. I'll brief your senior staff later, but basically, I planned on opening negotiations with Oberoth, but he backed me into a corner, and tried to take me prisoner. I couldn't let that happen so I fashioned a mid-range Anti-Replicator Gun out of my Car Alarm Clicker. I then proceeded to take control of their city. I eliminated Oberoth's program, and the surviving Asurans surrender pretty easily.
:mckay: : How do you know it's not a trick?
:sam: : Well every member of their new ruling body is in love with me, and I rewrote their programming code, so that if they even think of harming a human, their entire race will self-destruct. I then locked the editing key with a cypher.
:mckay: : And you accomplished all of that in [looks at his watch] four hours?
:sam: : Oh, no. That only took around 45-minutes. Defeating the Wraith took most of that time.
:ronan: : Let me get this straight. You've defeated the Wraith?
:sam: : Well yeah. After the Asurans surrendered, and gave me all of those new ships, I lead an Armada of Ancient ships to defeat the Wraith.
:teyla: : Over the course of millenia, the Ancestors couldn't accomplish this feat.
:sam: : I guess the war just needed a strategist with a fresh mind. Their ongoing civil war didn't hurt either. After we defeated the largest Wraith factions, some of the smaller ones offered to join our alliance in exchange for letting them live. I made them surrender of all of their military technology, and made retrovirus inoculations a condition of their surrender.
:mckay: : Wait, I know Lantean tech is far more advanced than the Wraith's, but we took out the bulk of the Asuran fleet. How did you manage to take out so many hiveships with so few ships?
SAM : Well we used the Asuran's Alpha site's, defensive fleet. They're mostly smaller ships, but they did the job. I did have to modify them with some Asgard weapons for point defense, and power source tech to power the added weapons, and further boost the shields. And we also had the 3 Auroras that they gave me.
:mckay: : You successfully integrated Asgard technology into Asuran cruisers in 3 hours?
CARTER: I mostly told them how to do it. It wasn't hard.
:ronan: : So the Wraith are gone now?
:sam: : Yeah, for the most part. We destroyed the vast majority of their fleet. The remaining Cruisers and Hives that were surrendered to us were dropped off at our Pegasus Alpha Site, and the remaining Wraith have been inoculated with the retrovirus, and are now human.
:sheppard: : Wow.

ROLE CREDITS

Professor Chaos
April 13th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Lmfao, so funny because it's actually something i'm sure the writers have considered..

Killdeer
April 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM
*grinning* Well, yes I can see the humor in that. If this show was supposed to be a comedy anyway. ;)

ToasterOnFire
April 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I'm particularly interested in seeing how McKay reacts to the change in leadership, especially if Weir is forced to step down or conveniently replaced while recovering from injuries. He knows the strain that Weir has been under with her command, heck he even wrote a book in her defense! He's been irked when the military has tried to take control of Atlantis in the past and has acted downright pissy at both Everett and Ellis when they tried to order commands. But how would he react when the military person in charge ended up being Carter?

Ripple in Space
April 13th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'm particularly interested in seeing how McKay reacts to the change in leadership, especially if Weir is forced to step down or conveniently replaced while recovering from injuries. He knows the strain that Weir has been under with her command, heck he even wrote a book in her defense! He's been irked when the military has tried to take control of Atlantis in the past and has acted downright pissy at both Everett and Ellis when they tried to order commands. But how would he react when the military person in charge ended up being Carter?

On that same note, in the past, when Wier & Shep have been incapacitated, he saw himself as the next in line to lead the expedition. He is the ranking civilian. If Wier is taken out of the equation, will he seem himself as the rightful successor?

wellduh!
April 13th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Gak, now there are two totally different women. It boggles (at least my) mind that Rodney could be interested in a wimp like Katie Brown. At least Sam has a personality. Okay, so obviously I'm not a Katie fan.

sanssong
April 13th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Gak, now there are two totally different women. It boggles (at least my) mind that Rodney could be interested in a wimp like Katie Brown. At least Sam has a personality. Okay, so obviously I'm not a Katie fan.

I'll agree, I thought Cadman would have been a much better match for Rodney, but Katie has grown on me. Especially after Sunday. She showed a LOT more backbone.

But as to the question posed by the thread.... I think Carter will get along great! This assignment is right up her ally, and I think after she gets over the "new kid on the block" syndrome, she'll fit right in as if she'd been there from the start.

Skydiver
April 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM
On that same note, in the past, when Wier & Shep have been incapacitated, he saw himself as the next in line to lead the expedition. He is the ranking civilian. If Wier is taken out of the equation, will he seem himself as the rightful successor?
that could be interesting. what if there is a lapse. weir AND shep are both gone, rod THINKS that he's teh boss, takes care of things for a few days...then sam shows up and he has to step down

ACharmedAsgard
April 13th, 2007, 01:49 PM
That would be interesting to watch

ReganX
April 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Respect, perhaps, but even if they respect her for what she's done, I imagine that at least some of the Atlantis team will have some trouble adjusting.

They're quite a tight-knit community and Weir was a vital part of that community so regardless of who was replacing her, there would be problems. It's also possible that some will believe that Sheppard or another member of the expedition deserves command.

As well as that, a lot depends on the circumstances of Sam being given command; if Weir dies, there will be a grieving process, if she is injured and hopes to return, the expedition members may find it difficult to think of Sam as a long term presence and resent any chances she makes if they think that she's only supposed to be keeping Weir's chair warm while she recovers, if Sam being given command is part of the militarization of Atlantis, there could be a lot of resentment from some, not so much towards Sam as an individual as towards what her presence represents, but at the same time, others might welcome a stronger military presence.

ReganX
April 13th, 2007, 02:38 PM

But if Atlantis is shifting towards military leadership - if Atlantis is not cut off from Earth, then what's to stop whoever's overseeing Atlantis sending a civilian to take over or ordering that McKay take charge - then wouldn't the chain of command change to exclude civilians.

Instead of Weir -> Sheppard -> McKay or whatever they have at present, it could become Sam -> Sheppard -> next highest ranking officer, and so on.

Steve_the_Wraith
April 13th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I think the reason Carter is being sent instead of say Col. Caldwel or Col. Ellis, is because she's a compromise between a military leader and a civilian (Carter is a respected scientist). So I don't necessarily think that Atlantis will be militarised.

Falcon Horus
April 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Instead of Weir -> Sheppard -> McKay or whatever they have at present, it could become Sam -> Sheppard -> next highest ranking officer, and so on.

Oh yeah, that would be a really smart move, excluding all your civilians. I think they'd start a riot with McKay at the head. All of the scientists are civilians, they need them to keep the city in working order. (unless they're going for a big overhaul and just kick them all back to Earth and replace them with military)

I don't think excluding the civilians from the loop is such a wise thing, and should be kept of the agenda at all cost.

ReganX
April 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I think the reason Carter is being sent instead of say Col. Caldwel or Col. Ellis, is because she's a compromise between a military leader and a civilian (Carter is a respected scientist). So I don't necessarily think that Atlantis will be militarised.

A compromise would suggest to me that they're going to be easing a military leadership onto Atlantis rather than forcing a major change abruptly, not that they're not planning on having one.

If they wanted to keep Atlantis under civilian control, there are other options as Weir's replacement; Daniel, for example, or Woolsey. Choosing a military officer suggests to me that they plan to militarize Atlantis, at least partly. Choosing a military officer who is also a respected scientist suggests to me that they're going to be clever about it.

The US Air Force is going to have a very strong footing in Atlantis; the leader and her 2IC/leader of the flagship team will both be USAF officers and the head scientist, though a civiliar, is still on their payroll and has been for years.

ReganX
April 13th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Oh yeah, that would be a really smart move, excluding all your civilians. I think they'd start a riot with McKay at the head. All of the scientists are civilians, they need them to keep the city in working order. (unless they're going for a big overhaul and just kick them all back to Earth and replace them with military)

I don't think excluding the civilians from the loop is such a wise thing, and should be kept of the agenda at all cost.

I'm not suggesting that they would want to get rid of the civilians, but I could see them wanting to impose a military chain of command for leadership of the expedition as a whole. Like the SGC - the chain of command for running the base seems to be all military but that doesn't stop civilians working on teams or on the base.

prion
April 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Respect, perhaps, but even if they respect her for what she's done, I imagine that at least some of the Atlantis team will have some trouble adjusting.

They're quite a tight-knit community and Weir was a vital part of that community so regardless of who was replacing her, there would be problems. It's also possible that some will believe that Sheppard or another member of the expedition deserves command.

As well as that, a lot depends on the circumstances of Sam being given command; if Weir dies, there will be a grieving process, if she is injured and hopes to return, the expedition members may find it difficult to think of Sam as a long term presence and resent any chances she makes if they think that she's only supposed to be keeping Weir's chair warm while she recovers, if Sam being given command is part of the militarization of Atlantis, there could be a lot of resentment from some, not so much towards Sam as an individual as towards what her presence represents, but at the same time, others might welcome a stronger military presence.

They should ahve trouble adjusting as Sam is military and if she takes command, it will be military. She'll do what the folks back on earth tell her to do, period. WHereas before, Weir, etc. played it fast and loose at times.

Mitchell82
April 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Agreed. It all depends on the reason for her being there but no matter the reason I'm sure there will be a period of rough adjustment.

343_Guilty_Spark
May 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM
they have to make it look like Carter will not get along with anyone. its the way TV is these days.

FinalMacGyver
May 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM
They should ahve trouble adjusting as Sam is military and if she takes command, it will be military. She'll do what the folks back on earth tell her to do, period. WHereas before, Weir, etc. played it fast and loose at times.

As long as she does not cheat on Jack everything will be okay :) LOL

Atlantis1
May 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM
The Genii...I don't know what they are up to.

Their alliance with the Genii is somewhat touchy at the moment. I wonder how they will feel about Carter since she is military and Weir wasn't.

Wraith_Boy
May 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Their alliance with the Genii is somewhat touchy at the moment. I wonder how they will feel about Carter since she is military and Weir wasn't.

Don't think Carter or anyone on Atlantis really will care what they make of the changes.

Atlantis has moved locations, so they no longer know the location or coordinates of the city. So can't inform the Wraith of them. While Atlantis knows about their underground city. That leaves them with a hold over the Genii.

While if it comes to it, they can simply send over a 304. Beam up their gate & take them out of the equation. Even if it came to it, beam a nuke down on them as a last resort.

So with Asurans on the warpath & Wraith getting more desperate, I think they will have more important things on their mind than worrying about the Genii, that really cannot offer them anything of true value in the 1st place. The only help they ever offered was in 'Common Ground' in helping to find the location of Kolya's base & ultimately it was them who was at fault for the whole situation in the first place.

Therefore no need to care what they think or worry about them as they have much bigger fish to fry these days!

Uncle Tobias
May 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM
sam and caldwell could be interesting. Cause she's gonna have the job he wants...in a way. He's been in the peggy galaxy for a while and sam hasn't and she's the boss and he's not...it'll be interesting.

I'm curious, are there any spoilers yet regarding this? Back in "The Return", I think, there was that odd conversation between him and Woosley hinting he would get command if Wier were to leave. I wonder if they'll reference that again or if it'll just be forgetten?

From that dialogue, I couldn't tell if Caldwell was still as bothered about commanding Atlantis as he used to be or not.

(maybe he decided flying a ship around and shooting nukes at things is alot more fun than having to run a whole community ;) )

firefly827347
May 26th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I'm a bit concerned as to how it will turn out but I will probably watch it no matter what happens. I'm just worried that she'll clash with Sheppard over military decisions. And I doubt McKay will ever be the same when she's around...:S
I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with her. And if it doesn't work out, there could always be season 5...:)

ReganX
May 26th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I'm a bit concerned as to how it will turn out but I will probably watch it no matter what happens. I'm just worried that she'll clash with Sheppard over military decisions. And I doubt McKay will ever be the same when she's around...:S
I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with her. And if it doesn't work out, there could always be season 5...:)

I think that's something that they'll need to address. I don't want to see them squabble every time a decision is made but they will need to make it clear that while Sheppard's experience and knowledge cannot be ignored, Sam is in charge.

Skydiver
May 26th, 2007, 05:51 PM
i would like to hope that, if sam makes a decision that shep's experience thinks will be wrong, that he'll tell her and she'll listen to him

ReganX
May 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM
i would like to hope that, if sam makes a decision that shep's experience thinks will be wrong, that he'll tell her and she'll listen to him

I would like to see them discussing it and Sam taking Sheppard's views into account; what I don't want to see is Sam dictating orders and ignoring everyone's input or Sheppard doing what he wants to do and ignoring Sam.

Skydiver
May 26th, 2007, 06:12 PM
yeah, i want to see them working together, not against each other

greytop
May 26th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I would like to see them discussing it and Sam taking Sheppard's views into account; what I don't want to see is Sam dictating orders and ignoring everyone's input or Sheppard doing what he wants to do and ignoring Sam.

yeah, i want to see them working together, not against each otherI think she will. She knows that they know more on what's going in Pegasus than she does.

I also believe that the military and IOA agreed that Sam could run the Atlantis expadition because she respected by both the military and the science communities.

majorsal
May 26th, 2007, 06:32 PM

since i don't watch the show (yet), this is what i'm afraid of.

some fans have said he did this to weir... :confused: :(

sally :sam:

Skydiver
May 26th, 2007, 06:47 PM
i thnk the first time shep tries it, sam will have his tush in a sling. she will be his superior officer. he HAS to follow her orders, unless he wants to risk brig time &/or a court martial

she gives him an order - as long as it's a lawful order - he has to follow it

the fifth man
May 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I think Carter and Shep will get along well for the most part. There may be some butting of heads, but that's just normal. Sam will listen to and take into consideration the opinions and suggestions of others.

Skydiver
May 26th, 2007, 07:11 PM
that's what i think too.

honestly, i don't see her coming in, waving a big stick and pushing folks around

that's not sam's character

Willow'sCat
May 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM
i thnk the first time shep tries it, sam will have his tush in a sling. she will be his superior officer. he HAS to follow her orders, unless he wants to risk brig time &/or a court martial

she gives him an order - as long as it's a lawful order - he has to follow itLOL Have you watched SGA? Did you watch The Return?

I am actually hoping for conflict, I am hoping that is where some of the "darker" eps will come from. The last thing I want is to see Sheppard as Carter's lapdog... good grief why would anyone want to watch the main lead character being treated like a lapdog? :cool: I don't care one bit for the military rules and regs this is TV not real life.

As for Carter allowing him to have some say, well bully for her :rolleyes: but if that is how it goes down on the show I can see a lot of SGA fans getting pissed off really quickly with Carter.

I think one of the big concerns for a lot of SGA fans is that the main characters will not get to have much of a say and that in the end it will be all Carter. Even Caldwell would be out ranked by Carter, right? Atlantis is a family, a disturbed family but a family none the less, to just have them kowtow to Carter and to Earth for that matter would change the show, change it in a way I think many may end up resenting.

And I really hate the idea of a military solution to everything, Weir was crap at diplomacy imho but at least having her there the show could pretend to be looking at other avenues before going in and killing everyone. :rolleyes:

If SGA becomes one of those shows it will be imho the worse thing they could possibly do, it would undermine the whole feel of the show. Even though I do believe that the show has been travelling down this road since season two it was a hope of mine that tptb would not take what I see as an easy out and just give total control over to what in the end is the US military. :cool: :rolleyes: :(

the fifth man
May 26th, 2007, 07:20 PM
that's what i think too.

honestly, i don't see her coming in, waving a big stick and pushing folks around

that's not sam's character

Exactly! And if TPTB changed her character that much for SGA, they would tick off way too many Carter fans. And that would not be a wise move on their part.

ReganX
May 26th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Even Caldwell would be out ranked by Carter, right?

Technically even if Sam is promoted to full colonel, Caldwell will have more time in grade but even so, if she is in command of Atlantis, I don't think he has the authority to overrule her decisions there.

firefly827347
May 27th, 2007, 02:25 AM

she gives him an order - as long as it's a lawful order - he has to follow it

Since when has Sheppard follower orders? :lol:

Seven
May 27th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Yeah i see that as the easy way out for the Writers/TPTB to get carter in there i wana see the atlantis expadition be different to her as if weir dies/coma/Recurring then sam might be the Leader and not really get along with them.

It might create tension with Weir, being that once Elizabeth was Sam's boss and depending on what happens that could be reversed. I think Teyla will be fine with her, Sheppard will be the one to watch.

Seven
May 27th, 2007, 03:39 AM
I bet you're wrong.

I think like Amanda suggested, Sam will see him and have a soft spot for him because he'll remind her of Teal'c and he'll respect her as a seasoned warrior. He might initially hold some resentment toward her for taking Weir's place if say Weir is removed for political reasons...but I think over time she'll win them over and they'll respect her and appreciate what she'll bring to the expedition.

It will be hard on Sam at first. For so long she has worked with Teal'c and Daniel, knows Stargate command and the people there like the back of her hand that, going to another galaxy, no real friends there and taking on a major command (I am assuming that) with many foes at the door will be hard work. She will need all the support she can get just as anyone would. Even if she isn't "in charge" it is still a massive change.

I think she and Ronan will get on really well and I would like to see Teyla have more interaction with Carter than they allowed with Elizabeth. We know Shep and Rodney are really good friends but it seems none of the women in Atlantis hang out together or are friends which we know cannot be true.

Skydiver
May 27th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Technically even if Sam is promoted to full colonel, Caldwell will have more time in grade but even so, if she is in command of Atlantis, I don't think he has the authority to overrule her decisions there.
at best, they'll be equals. caldwell is the CO of the Daedy, and sam has no say there, Sam will be CO of Atlantis and Caldwell will have no say there

maxbo
May 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Striking the right chord for Sheppard and Sam's professional relationship will require quite the balancing act. TPTB will have to somehow find the proper balance between showing that Sam is in charge while at the same time showing that Sheppard is not under her thumb.

As a fan of both characters, I don't want to see Sam shown as a weak leader, but I also don't want to see Sheppard look like a lackey.

I'm guessing that TPTB will try to shoot for a Hammond/Jack style of professional relationship only tailored to Sheppard and Sam's characters and the Pegasus galaxy (where the military CO regularly goes out on missions).

Sounds very complicated.

ReganX
May 27th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Striking the right chord for Sheppard and Sam's professional relationship will require quite the balancing act. TPTB will have to somehow find the proper balance between showing that Sam is in charge while at the same time showing that Sheppard is not under her thumb.

As a fan of both characters, I don't want to see Sam shown as a weak leader, but I also don't want to see Sheppard look like a lackey.

I'm guessing that TPTB will try to shoot for a Hammond/Jack style of professional relationship only tailored to Sheppard and Sam's characters and the Pegasus galaxy (where the military CO regularly goes out on missions).

I don't see Sheppard as someone who would ever be anyone's lackey or Sam as either a "my way or the highway" person or an ineffectual leader, so I'm sure that after a period of adjustment they'll settle into the new chain of command.

Since Sheppard won't be taking command in military situations anymore, there shouldn't be a problem of divided command. Sam will command Atlantis and Sheppard will have command of the flagship team and possibly be 2IC of Atlantis as a whole.

Their roles on Atlantis will mirror Hammond and Jack's in the SGC during Seasons One through Seven.

Uber
May 27th, 2007, 10:57 AM

I don't think excluding the civilians from the loop is such a wise thing, and should be kept of the agenda at all cost.I think it'd be great if the IOA did this for this very reason...it would be a source of tension.

Now I don't imagine it'd stay that way for long but I think watching them deal with their internal issues while trying to survive what's happening to them would make for good viewing.

AJB
May 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Just wondering...

I remember reading something on Joe Mallozzi's blog where he directly referenced Sam as the leader of Atlantis. Or maybe I'm just dreaming... but I remember reading over the sentance again and wondering if I was reading it wrong... So, do we know that she will take over as commander? Or are we still speculating?

Anyways... do we know if Sam comes to Atlantis as an Officer? There's been a bit of a debate over the 'militarization' of Atlantis under her control... but, maybe she's not coming as a Military Officer. Maybe she's given up her commission to command Atlantis as a civillian. That would be the best of both worlds for the IOA. She'd technically be civillian, but she also has extensive military and scientific knowledge. Sort of like a Sheppard/McKay/Weir hybrid.

ReganX
May 27th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Just wondering...

I remember reading something on Joe Mallozzi's blog where he directly referenced Sam as the leader of Atlantis. Or maybe I'm just dreaming... but I remember reading over the sentance again and wondering if I was reading it wrong... So, do we know that she will take over as commander? Or are we still speculating?

Anyways... do we know if Sam comes to Atlantis as an Officer? There's been a bit of a debate over the 'militarization' of Atlantis under her control... but, maybe she's not coming as a Military Officer. Maybe she's given up her commission to command Atlantis as a civillian. That would be the best of both worlds for the IOA. She'd technically be civillian, but she also has extensive military and scientific knowledge. Sort of like a Sheppard/McKay/Weir hybrid.

I don't see Sam retiring from the military and if she did, and they were sticking with a civilian leader for Atlantis, it would be pretty tough to justify importing Sam to lead instead of giving the job to one of the members of the expedition team.

AJB
May 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I don't see Sam retiring from the military and if she did, and they were sticking with a civilian leader for Atlantis, it would be pretty tough to justify importing Sam to lead instead of giving the job to one of the members of the expedition team.

I can think of a few reasons that Sam would want to leave the military *cough* :jack_new_anime18: *cough* but I'm pretty sure that's just wishful thinking on my (extremely shippy) part :p Of course, I've just un-proved my own theory, since if I had it my way and Jack was finally getting some Sam SHAZAM, then Pegasus would be the last place she would want to be. :jack_new_anime05:

Guess we'll all just have to *sigh* WAIT AND SEE!

Atlantis1
May 27th, 2007, 06:40 PM
And I really hate the idea of a military solution to everything, Weir was crap at diplomacy imho but at least having her there the show could pretend to be looking at other avenues before going in and killing everyone

I thought Common Ground showed Weir as very good at diplomacy.

Their roles on Atlantis will mirror Hammond and Jack's in the SGC during Seasons One through Seven.

I'm sorry but this sounds too much like SGA becoming a new SG-1 season.

the fifth man
May 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM

How so? This is how things have been already on SGA, only with Weir in command. She was leader of Atlantis itself, and Sheppard has led his team offworld. No real difference to me, except now Carter will be in command of Atlantis.

Atlantis1
May 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM
How so? This is how things have been already on SGA, only with Weir in command. She was leader of Atlantis itself, and Sheppard has led his team offworld. No real difference to me, except now Carter will be in command of Atlantis.

Weir was civilian and Carter is military. Hammond was military commander to O'Neill while we had a leader of Atlantis with Weir and a head of military with Sheppard. To me the relationship is different. Now with Carter in command there won't be the two separate command areas. I never wanted to see Atlantis militarized.

the fifth man
May 27th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Weir was civilian and Carter is military. Hammond was military commander to O'Neill while we had a leader of Atlantis with Weir and a head of military with Sheppard. To me the relationship is different. Now with Carter in command there won't be the two separate command areas. I never wanted to see Atlantis militarized.

I understand your point.

Agent_Dark
May 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Won't make any different to the stories told. The idea of civilian vs military command has been brought up like twice? through the 3 seasons so far and didn't really look like it was going to brought up again anytime soon during s3.

Willow'sCat
May 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I thought Common Ground showed Weir as very good at diplomacy. 'we don't deal with terrorists' :rolleyes: It was imho the beginning of the end for her character, they (tptb) really didn't have a clue what to do with her, I actually do strongly think Common Ground was her death knell as a regular character. :cool:

Have to say I agree, and I am not happy about the idea of Sam = Hammond and Sheppard = O'Neill. Unimaginative to say the least.

Pegasus_SGA
May 28th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I agree with what some of you have said, I expect teething problems in the beginning. When any new boss takes over either through sickness/injury/detached duty or resignation, then there's always going to be a period of adjustment as the 'team' gets used to how the new boss likes things done and what the rules are (because they will differ, albeit if it's only slightly). But people get used to working a certain way under that command structure and will initially (i'm assuming) find it a bit...not difficult, but strange while they deal with their new boss. The fact that Carter is known to some of them will help a little bit, but it's a fact of life that 'new bosses' take a bit of time to get used to, they have their own style and experiences and usually rely on that when going into a new team. I don't know what her military command style will be as we've not had Carter really afforded that opportunity to show that side consistantly. And when it has happened, I don't feel it has been done as well as it could. While Carter has a tonne of offworld experience, she hasn't really had a lot of leadership experience to draw on, nor has she had any experience with the Wraith or Ancients (although she has had some). So initially when she gets up to speed she will be reliant on everyone to bring her up to speed.

I've no doubts that there will be a few hiccups along the way as the team and Carter adjust to how each other works. And for me, it's not just a case of Carter issuing orders, it's getting to know the team and how they think and react under certain situations, and like any new boss, mistakes are usually made along the way, and 'run ins' can and often do arrise from misunderstandings, which I hope to see, but don't expect to. :lol:

Just my 2 cents :D

Aussie_Fan
May 28th, 2007, 02:44 AM
How will carter get along with the city? Well she doesn't have the gene so they may be at odds from the beginning.

"I wanna do this!"

"Pfft, well you can't. You don't have the gene :weiranime20:"

On a more serious note.. I think she'll fit in fine. The whole thing with McKay will make her relate to Sheppard. They can both pick on him, teehee. She'll probably use her science side more then her military side 'cause she's in charge and all but when push comes to shove she won't be afraid to kick some butt.

Killdeer
May 28th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Have to say I agree, and I am not happy about the idea of Sam = Hammond and Sheppard = O'Neill. Unimaginative to say the least.

Count me as another one who agrees that it does have the potential to go this way. Which is frustrating for lots of reasons. Anyway.

I have a lot of reservations here. That doesn't mean I won't watch, 'cause I definitely plan to. But up until now, TPTB have showed a reluctance to place Carter in a position where she is in conflict with the other main characters. And if they actually do dare to go that route, can they actually write her as being wrong once in a while? As in - the other characters think she's wrong - wrong. I have my doubts, but will wait and see.

MmmmMcKAy
May 28th, 2007, 08:22 AM
How will carter get along with the city? Well she doesn't have the gene so they may be at odds from the beginning.

"I wanna do this!"

"Pfft, well you can't. You don't have the gene :weiranime20:"

On a more serious note.. I think she'll fit in fine. The whole thing with McKay will make her relate to Sheppard. They can both pick on him, teehee. She'll probably use her science side more then her military side 'cause she's in charge and all but when push comes to shove she won't be afraid to kick some butt.

That's just what we need, someone else picking on McKay.:rolleyes:

Falcon Horus
May 28th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Poor man will need a bodyguard soon. :p Unless, Ronon volunteers.

Killdeer
May 28th, 2007, 08:28 AM

So true. The first time I see Shep and Carter laughing at Rodney, or joking about him behind his back, or teaming up to pick on him, I will start throwing things at the TV. Hopefully nothing breakable will be within arm's reach! :D

I seem to be in the minority in that I did not find Carter and Rodney's interaction in PP the least bit funny. Most of the time I was either cringing, or feeling very sorry for Rodney. If S4 is more of Rodney being treated like that, I probably won't stick around for a possible S5.

Atlantis1
May 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM
So true. The first time I see Shep and Carter laughing at Rodney, or joking about him behind his back, or teaming up to pick on him, I will start throwing things at the TV. Hopefully nothing breakable will be within arm's reach! :D

I seem to be in the minority in that I did not find Carter and Rodney's interaction in PP the least bit funny. Most of the time I was either cringing, or feeling very sorry for Rodney. If S4 is more of Rodney being treated like that, I probably won't stick around for a possible S5.

I'm with you. I enjoyed the rest of PP but that part bothered me.

I also thought they wrote Sheppard out of character when he gave Col Mitchell the lemon so I don't think I could take Sheppard laughing with Carter. That too would be out of character.

Mitchell82
May 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM

I see your point but I disagree and it's not just b/c I'm military. I liked it being civilian but just b/c Carter takes the reigns I don't see it making a bit of difference to the show itself or the stories.

MoxManiac
May 28th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Godammit, they better not ditch Weir, she's my favorite character behind McKay. First Carson, now this :mad:

Why can't they just boot Ronon or Teyla if they have to kill someone off?

Pegasus_SGA
May 28th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Since when has Sheppard follower orders? :lol:

Hey, Shep always follows orders. For example in .....

*twenty minutes have passed*

I still got nothing.... anyone? :P

I think he'll follow Sam's orders until he disagrees with her over something. And I look forward to that bit of friction to be honest. As I said before with every new boss you try and.... test your boundaries shall we say. I don't think there's ever been and SG1 or an SGA boss where everything's gone hunky dora. We had Jack having problems with Hammond initially and Sam having teething problems being in command with all his experience, Weir having problems settling in, and Landry. So hopefully that has paved the way for Sam having a few problems settling in to. I wonder which side it will be from though? Shep's team, the expedition, the scientists or with Sam. :D But I look forward to seeing it play out :D

cajuncayenne
May 28th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I don't think we will see much verbage about her stepping in as the leader. I read somewhere she saves them and they asked her to come back/stay

Atlantis writers have shown a pattern of not talking about people who are replaced or lost. :( i.e. no mention of Carson at all. I think that Elizabeth will prob resign or have an injury. When Sam comes in Weir will never be discussed again. It’s their pattern.

Shep will have some conflict because she trumps him and is not so quick to jump. Rodney will be in heaven until he realizes that with her here he is not really needed. Past has shown she is always right when dealing with him.

Caldwell might be jealous because every other military person gets to be in charge but him.

Teyla will be accepting because that's how she is written and she has other issues this season.

Ronan will not like it because she is military and trumps John.

After saying this, I still believe we the fans will have to look for subtext because we will not see much emotion/reaction from the characters.:(

Mitchell82
May 28th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Godammit, they better not ditch Weir, she's my favorite character behind McKay. First Carson, now this :mad:

Why can't they just boot Ronon or Teyla if they have to kill someone off?

They are booting her but not killing her. Her contract was modified late in season three as Torri is unhappy with things. She will only be in 4 eps in season 4. I totally disagree on Ronon or Teyla as I love them, I only like Weir.

Killdeer
May 28th, 2007, 09:30 PM
They are booting her but not killing her. Her contract was modified late in season three as Torri is unhappy with things. She will only be in 4 eps in season 4.

Umm, well, I don't want to be rude here, but unless you have some information I don't (which is entirely possible :D), that's somewhat inaccurate. I'm not sure where the "Torri is unhappy" part came from, although she has mentioned some disagreements she's had with the writers. We've had no indications that was the reason for her reduced status however. All we know is that she was told at the end of filming for S3 that she had a choice of leaving completely or going to a recurring status, but the reasons for TPTB making that decision are unknown. And what Joe's said is that she will be in 4 episodes of the first half of S4, with the possibility of more.

Falcon Horus
May 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM
After saying this, I still believe we the fans will have to look for subtext because we will not see much emotion/reaction from the characters.:(

That's because the show is plot-driven, not character-driven.

cajuncayenne
May 29th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I agree that this is a plot driven show but still wish for characters with feelings that aid the plot that the writers are driving.;) I think it make the plots more believable.

Mitchell82
May 29th, 2007, 12:02 PM
That's because the show is plot-driven, not character-driven.

I disagree. I'd say the show is both character driven and plot driven. They have done plenty character development stories as well as general plot stories.

Falcon Horus
May 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I agree that this is a plot driven show but still wish for characters with feelings that aid the plot that the writers are driving.;) I think it make the plots more believable.

I absolutely agree.

I disagree. I'd say the show is both character driven and plot driven. They have done plenty character development stories as well as general plot stories.

Character-driven means not just character development. Carson dies and there's nothing to see of grief or mourning in the following episodes. It's as if he just never existed. He was literally erased from memory. And then suddenly we have to believe when Keller mentions him in First Strike that they did think of him. Sorry, 4 episodes too late.

But that's widly off-topic.

On topic however, I can give you an example that might be happening, or it might not be (but my guess is on 'might'). Carter comes to Atlantis and it will be smooth sailing, as if she has never done anything else but be the leader of the expedition. Everybody will accept her and there will be no struggles whatsoever. That's what a plot-driven show does, not a character-driven one. In my honest opinion, I have to add.

Pegasus_SGA
May 29th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I absolutely agree.

Character-driven means not just character development. Carson dies and there's nothing to see of grief or mourning in the following episodes. It's as if he just never existed. He was literally erased from memory. And then suddenly we have to believe when Keller mentions him in First Strike that they did think of him. Sorry, 4 episodes too late.

On topic however, I can give you an example that might be happening, or it might not be (but my guess is on 'might'). Carter comes to Atlantis and it will be smooth sailing, as if she has never done anything else but be the leader of the expedition. Everybody will accept her and there will be no struggles whatsoever. That's what a plot-driven show does, not a character-driven one. In my honest opinion, I have to add.

I don't think it will be straightforward, purely because it's never been that way in the past when a new boss has taken over. So I do think that it has paved the way for their to be problems associated with Sam taking over. And i'd like to see how/if/when that plays out. :D

Mandysg1
May 29th, 2007, 12:58 PM

I really hope the writers don't go that route, it would be better for them to show some tension with her taking command. I'd like Sam to learn about the people on Atlantis and in her learning about them, perhaps they can show some more character developement and let us learn more about them as well.

Falcon Horus
May 29th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I don't think it will be straightforward, purely because it's never been that way in the past when a new boss has taken over. So I do think that it has paved the way for their to be problems associated with Sam taking over. And i'd like to see how/if/when that plays out. :D

I really hope the writers don't go that route, it would be better for them to show some tension with her taking command. I'd like Sam to learn about the people on Atlantis and in her learning about them, perhaps they can show some more character developement and let us learn more about them as well.

I hope that they will write in struggles for both parties, by which I mean Carter and the expedition. In that I have to completely agree. Because if my 'might' plays out, I'd have to say that Atlantis lost its credibility completely.

prion
May 29th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I absolutely agree.

Well, yes. Carson's toast (cough cough) and nobody seems to notice?? Sheesh.

I do suspect that everybody will think Carter is wonderful and we'll get no conflict and no reality there. I just hope McKay doesn't devolve as he usually does around Carter. I'd really loved to be proved wrong.

prion
May 29th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Umm, well, I don't want to be rude here, but unless you have some information I don't (which is entirely possible :D), that's somewhat inaccurate. I'm not sure where the "Torri is unhappy" part came from, although she has mentioned some disagreements she's had with the writers. We've had no indications that was the reason for her reduced status however. All we know is that she was told at the end of filming for S3 that she had a choice of leaving completely or going to a recurring status, but the reasons for TPTB making that decision are unknown. And what Joe's said is that she will be in 4 episodes of the first half of S4, with the possibility of more.

Er, all we know is that the producers made the decision. We don't know what she was offered (in terms of choices).

Killdeer
May 29th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Er, all we know is that the producers made the decision. We don't know what she was offered (in terms of choices).

From Issue #16 (May/June 2007) of Stargate Magazine, from the article titled "Weir & Now", page 43, last paragraph. Emphasis mine.

"I was told right when we wrapped that there would be changes and that it was my choice if I want to come back and do some recurring [work] or walk away," states Higginson. "Weir is an interesting character and if she's up there working, that would be fun to do because it's a great bunch of people in Vancouver. I'd love to go back and revisit so we'll see what happens and go from there."

Mitchell82
May 29th, 2007, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE]Character-driven means not just character development. Carson dies and there's nothing to see of grief or mourning in the following episodes. It's as if he just never existed. He was literally erased from memory. And then suddenly we have to believe when Keller mentions him in First Strike that they did think of him. Sorry, 4 episodes too late.
True but I disagree on your view of the Carson issue. I don't think they forgot about him at all they just didnt want to talk about it and I understood that.

Yes I guess it is.;) :o

I doubt that will happen. SGA is character driven IMHO, so I doubt it will be smooth sailing.

Pharaoh Atem
May 29th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Just wanter to see how everyone thinks Carter will get along with everyone, Well i think we all know how she'll get along wioth McKay but what about everone else.

I'd like to see how Ronon, Teyla and Carson get along with her mainly.

it's going to be rough but she can manage. as for the boys i think shepp and mckay will be there for her but this is supposed to be a darker season so anything is possible.

Mitchell82
May 29th, 2007, 06:41 PM
it's going to be rough but she can manage. as for the boys i think shepp and mckay will be there for her but this is supposed to be a darker season so anything is possible.

It will be tough but she can handle it I have no doubt.

Pharaoh Atem
May 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM
It will be tough but she can handle it I have no doubt.

pfft she has 10 years of experience in tough situations.

Mitchell82
May 29th, 2007, 06:45 PM

True but this will be different. She won't want to go I'm sure of that, and I know she won't be welcome at first.

StevenCaldwell
May 30th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I think they will get on ok. Mckay admits that he like Sam in the episode "A letter from pegasus" so they should by fine together. Plus they both has exstensive knowledge of the Ancient Tech, which will be of great help for us agenst the Wraith and the Relicators!!

bluealien
May 30th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I don't see any major problems with Carter being accepted. If Weir is unjured and unable to continue her leadership why would Shep and the others take this out on Carter. She is coming to help so I don't see why anyone should be antaganistic to her. Also Shep is military so I can't see him being anything but respectful to her and following her orders. I see it more as a shared leadership anyway and Carter taking on board Sheppards experience in the Pegasus galaxy.

I think Carter and Sheppard will be on a similar wave lenght anyway... she has been used to dealing with O'Neill so I don't think Sam will have any problems relating to Shep. The others I think will also be grateful for her support... I don't understand why any of this is unrealistic. Sure there may be a period of adjustment but other than that I don't forsee any problems.

StevenCaldwell
May 30th, 2007, 12:32 AM
has it been confirmed that Carter is definitely coming to Atlantis on the Oddessy?

jenks
May 30th, 2007, 01:47 AM

10 years of tough decisions being made for her.

atlantis_babe34
May 30th, 2007, 02:20 AM
in regards with Carter mixing with eveyone so easily, i think it will take a while.

If carter does indeed become the new leader of Atlantis, i think there will be some tension there for a while, as everyone was used to the way Weir ran everything, undoutably Carter will change the way things are done, and she wont see it from Weir's side becasue she is military. Some people might have a problem with that. *cough* Kavanagh(sp) *Cough*

Also, the same decisions wont be made. No offence to any major weir fans out there (I' am one myself), but she didnt have the off world experience to let teams go on dangerous missions, where as Carter has had 10 years of offworld knowledge, she wont be so reluctant to let the teams go on risky missions. And also with scientific experiments, being in the military and having a PhD in astrophyiscs does have its perks.

And to conclude my long rant (btw this is one of the longest i have writen since im lazy and this topic is one i debate about alot) from my personal opinion, it's going to be weird for me to see Carter on Atlanits. For a start i think crossovers are pointless and i don't enjoy them, and until i grip my head around Carter being basically semi-permenat on Atlantis, i will most likely not enjoy the epsiodes as much, especailly if they are Carter centric.

Blah blah Blah...

prion
May 30th, 2007, 03:50 AM
I don't see any major problems with Carter being accepted. If Weir is unjured and unable to continue her leadership why would Shep and the others take this out on Carter. She is coming to help so I don't see why anyone should be antaganistic to her. Also Shep is military so I can't see him being anything but respectful to her and following her orders. I see it more as a shared leadership anyway and Carter taking on board Sheppards experience in the Pegasus galaxy.

I think Carter and Sheppard will be on a similar wave lenght anyway... she has been used to dealing with O'Neill so I don't think Sam will have any problems relating to Shep. The others I think will also be grateful for her support... I don't understand why any of this is unrealistic. Sure there may be a period of adjustment but other than that I don't forsee any problems.

I don't see anybody taking it out on carter, but she should not just fit in with no problem. For one thing, she is military. It will change the whole parameter of the base to have the military truly in charge. Unless Sam quit the military, which is as unlikely as gas below $3 a gallon. The thing is that Sam and Shep shoudln't mesh perfectly; he's more likely to run off to rescue someone while Sam does play it safe a lot. Or at least she'll analyze it to death.

There should be a period of adjustment, but basing on what I've seen the writers do along the years, they might just skip that (like they do with most more interesting issues) and say it was done in between episodes ;)

prion
May 30th, 2007, 03:53 AM
has it been confirmed that Carter is definitely coming to Atlantis on the Oddessy?

No.

jenks
May 30th, 2007, 04:58 AM
I get the impression that the 'Sam turns up in her own ship' thing might have been thrown out all together...

prion
May 30th, 2007, 05:10 AM
I get the impression that the 'Sam turns up in her own ship' thing might have been thrown out all together...

Sometimes I get the feeling the producers toss out these vague remarks just to keep fans busy for several months debating on which ship it will be, and to spend 683 posts talking about it, more or less ;)

Skydiver
May 30th, 2007, 06:43 AM
my impression is...sam will show up in the premiere, with her own ship, to get atlantis out of the sticky wicket they're in

then she'll either go home to come back later...or be ready to go home and she gets told 'hope you packed heavy, cause you're staying'

prion
May 30th, 2007, 08:19 AM
my impression is...sam will show up in the premiere, with her own ship, to get atlantis out of the sticky wicket they're in

then she'll either go home to come back later...or be ready to go home and she gets told 'hope you packed heavy, cause you're staying'

That would be.... boring. I mean, been there, done that ("Siege"). It would be nice for the Atlantis folk to rescue themselves for a change ;)

Killdeer
May 30th, 2007, 08:23 AM
That would be.... boring. I mean, been there, done that ("Siege"). It would be nice for the Atlantis folk to rescue themselves for a change ;)

That was my hope. I fear it is not to be, however. :( I guess we'll see.

Atlantis1
May 30th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I'm beginning to wish we had had ten seasons of SGA and the movies and SG-1 was the newer series. Then Weir could come over to SG-1 to command. :mckay:

Matt G
May 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Been there, done that! ;)

If Sam's leading Atlantis...I can definately see her wondering why the hell she's there, particularly if she's in the top job. With all due respect to her "I'm" not sure why she'd get that particular job, I'd have thought Daniel would be a better fit.

Getting along wise, the writers are in a tough position. Having them all get on fine from the start is too cliche but all having her butting heads too hard with the established crew will do is start another fan war!

Best guesses:

:sheppard: Had limited dealings with her in SG1's The Pegasus Project. Knows about her background from reading SGC mission reports. She'll have more credibility with him than any of the other superior officers that we've seen him have dealings with so far.

He'll probably remind her slightly of Jack and respect his time in the Pegasus galaxy. He'll also be the first to tell her that "you're not in the SGC any more ma'am and Dr Weir had the respect of everyone in this city. You'll have to earn that".

:mckay: Easiest one to call. Sam will have credibility with him but the rest of the scientists from Zelenka on down will be snarking like mad over military leadership so I can see Rodney actually trying his hand at bridge building.

Sam will probably leave the Rodney and Radek show alone for the most part, she's not there as a scientist.

:teyla: Hmmmm...we've seen Sam get tight with both Janet and Vala and those two are very different females! Teyla will probably be cautious with her to start with, and get John's take on her before her first meeting of any serious importance but I can't see the pair not hitting the gym together eventually.

:ronan: Well Weir had the minimum to do with him. Sam will see some of Teal'c in him but without so much wisdom and probably set up a chat between the two warriors in the hope that Ronan will benefit from it(might explain the Teal'c cameo). He'll probably follow JOhn's lead in dealing with her.

343_Guilty_Spark
May 30th, 2007, 06:50 PM

If Sam's leading Atlantis...I can definately see her wondering why the hell she's there, particularly if she's in the top job. With all due respect to her "I'm" not sure why she'd get that particular job, I'd have thought Daniel would be a better fit.

Getting along wise, the writers are in a tough position. Having them all get on fine from the start is too cliche but all having her butting heads too hard with the established crew will do is start another fan war!

Best guesses:

:sheppard: Had limited dealings with her in SG1's The Pegasus Project. Knows about her background from reading SGC mission reports. She'll have more credibility with him than any of the other superior officers that we've seen him have dealings with so far.

He'll probably remind her slightly of Jack and respect his time in the Pegasus galaxy. He'll also be the first to tell her that "you're not in the SGC any more ma'am and Dr Weir had the respect of everyone in this city. You'll have to earn that".

:mckay: Easiest one to call. Sam will have credibility with him but the rest of the scientists from Zelenka on down will be snarking like mad over military leadership so I can see Rodney actually trying his hand at bridge building.

Sam will probably leave the Rodney and Radek show alone for the most part, she's not there as a scientist.

:teyla: Hmmmm...we've seen Sam get tight with both Janet and Vala and those two are very different females! Teyla will probably be cautious with her to start with, and get John's take on her before her first meeting of any serious importance but I can't see the pair not hitting the gym together eventually.

:ronan: Well Weir had the minimum to do with him. Sam will see some of Teal'c in him but without so much wisdom and probably set up a chat between the two warriors in the hope that Ronan will benefit from it(might explain the Teal'c cameo). He'll probably follow JOhn's lead in dealing with her.

That is probably the most likey course of events.

prion
May 31st, 2007, 04:13 AM

I can't see why carter would be chosen for the command of a city/base, except that the producers wanted Carter on SGA. She's a scientist first and foremost and has no experience (least not that I can recall) in running any bases or complexes and dealing with the bureaucracies involved...

Ltcolshepjumper
May 31st, 2007, 04:18 AM
I can't see why carter would be chosen for the command of a city/base, except that the producers wanted Carter on SGA. She's a scientist first and foremost and has no experience (least not that I can recall) in running any bases or complexes and dealing with the bureaucracies involved...

Any unknown colonel would probably be chosen before her, mainly because her expertise is not really needed in atlantis. The only expertise needed was Weir's in negotiating.

prion
May 31st, 2007, 08:35 AM
Any unknown colonel would probably be chosen before her, mainly because her expertise is not really needed in atlantis. The only expertise needed was Weir's in negotiating.

If they had to go military, Caldwell would have been a better choice. He's commanded a ship, an no doubt a lot more before he got that command. At most, Sam's commanded SG1 and that's it, and maybe a bunch of scientists at Area 51. I can't see her brinigng any new skills to the job - and no offense, but she can't even read Ancient, something Elizabeth can do - sure hope she suddenly doesn't develop that skill overnight....

jenks
May 31st, 2007, 09:25 AM
I forgot about Caldwell, I wonder how he will take the news...

jckfan55
May 31st, 2007, 10:31 AM

Yeah, if you don't care about the characters, who cares about the plot?

As much as I love Carter, I'm a bit mystified at this point about why they'd put her in charge of Atlantis. Maybe the president thinks the combo of a military hero and scientist makes sense for Atlantis commander? I guess I'll wait and see. I hope they explain it though. I think the Atlantis people will respect her ability, but not adjust to her right away. And it will be strange for her not being on the front lines.

PG15
May 31st, 2007, 12:57 PM
Sam did get a few chances to command the SGC, like in Uninvited.

prion
May 31st, 2007, 03:51 PM
I forgot about Caldwell, I wonder how he will take the news...

Probably won't be thrilled...

Sam did get a few chances to command the SGC, like in Uninvited.

Which episode was that again??

PG15
May 31st, 2007, 03:56 PM
The one with the meat-ball monster and the Landry bird-call. ;)

Mandysg1
May 31st, 2007, 04:06 PM
The one with the meat-ball monster and the Landry bird-call. ;)

LOL, good description of the monster :D

Willow'sCat
May 31st, 2007, 04:33 PM
my impression is...sam will show up in the premiere, with her own ship, to get atlantis out of the sticky wicket they're inAs others said; boring, not to mention been there done that *groan* They need to rescue themselves for once. :cool:

then she'll either go home to come back later...or be ready to go home and she gets told 'hope you packed heavy, cause you're staying'Great so she will possibly get no warning, no briefings, no time to adjust in her head to the fact she will be taking command of Atlantis and leaving Earth, and her colleagues? Maybe for good. Yeah I would by tptb seeing that as a good plot twist. :cool: Not doubt we will have some jokes thrown in and maybe a widdle message from Jack to boot! :rolleyes:

Wraith_Boy
June 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM

Why the heck would Jackson bet a better fit to lead Atlantis?

Firstly, they are at war with Wraith, a species that defeated the Lanteans. A species that wants to get to the MW which is bad enough. Then there is the Asurans. A bunch of replicating robots that have the means to get to Earth. Far less advanced versions almost took out the entire galaxy in S8 of SG-1.

Who would be a better person to have incharge: Weir, who has tried & failed to negotitate with them. Jackson: Again, another who would rather try & find a peaceful solution to the problem. Both of whom have no technical knowledge on which to make contributions to help combat these enemes. Then there is someone like Carter. Both military & scientist, so can see both sides of any arguement or situation. She can help out in various ways with the Wraith, such as defeating their jamming technology. Helping out with weapons to take out their ships etc, etc. Against the replicators, she is probably the world's foremost expert on them.

So out of everybody, there is nobody better qualified or more knowledgeable on the planet that would be best suited to take control of Atlantis at this time.

Secondly, Atlantis is full of the most advanced technology ever encountered in the Stargate universe. Jackson can translate Ancient, but it isn't full of ruins or anything of that nature. It has a database filled with information on how to build Lantean technologies.

From 'Arthur's Mantle' in S9:

DANIEL: Ah, you see this is all technical, way over my head; I wish you understood Ancient. These notes seem to indicate that he completed the weapon here on Earth and then had to relocate it to ...

He may be able to translate Ancient it like Weir, but they doesn't understand any of the technological aspects behind it.

What they need is scientists that can dig out the secrets of what's contained in the Atlantis database. Then there is the small matter of the two vicious enemies that want to get to the MW & Earth. Carter is an expert on one of them, the most dangerous ones. While she can also help out on the second ones (Wraith) as well.

Taking on the realism factor, not only would Carter be the best candidate for the job as of this minute. The only other thing is that she wasn't brought over sooner. Which would obviously be because of the Ori. However now that's out of the way & Atlantis is facing danger as well as Earth from the Pegasus enemies. She's now being sent over to help out!

343_Guilty_Spark
June 1st, 2007, 05:07 PM
good point

prion
June 2nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
Daniel's not a leader type. To say... he woudln't want the bureaucracy and crap that goes along with it. He wants to research and explore.

Carter on the other hand seems to be quite happy in a lab - science is her first choice and I don't think her, cough cough, leadership in a lab would count the same thing as leading an entire city. Telling scientists what to do or approving reports at Area 51 is different than Atlantis.

The writers need to do some maturing and move ahead with the Carter/McKay stuff (if he keeps calling her Blondie or Blue Eyes, why should anybody else on the base respect her command either?). Hopefully he'll realize CArter's not worth it and date Katie. besides, anybody who dates carter tends to DIE. And when any new boss comes in, there is tension and worry. It would be unrealistic if they all accepted her without batting an eye.

Ah, but then this is the show that kills characters with, cough couhg, exploding tumors. Argh.

Uber
June 2nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Danie's not a leader type. To say... he woudln't want the bureaucracy and crap that goes along with it. He wants to research and explore.

Carter on the other hand seems to be quite happy in a lab - science is her first choice and I don't think her, cough cough, leadership in a lab would count the same thing as leading an entire city. Telling scientists what to do or approving reports at Area 51 is different than Atlantis. Well with that line of logic, orchestrating treaties and mediating disputes between international rivals didn't qualify Weir for either the post at the SGC or Atlantis. However, the raw materials were there from her experience and character that the president and IOA saw fit to appoint her. Same with Carter.
The writers need to do some maturing and move ahead with the Carter/McKay stuff (if he keeps calling her Blondie or Blue Eyes, why should anybody else on the base respect her command either?). I doubt that would continue for long. Her role is different now. She's not a co-worker...she's the boss. Different relationship would require a different dynamic.
Hopefully he'll realize CArter's not worth it and date Katie. besides, anybody who dates carter tends to DIE. Actually that curse died with Pete walking away...not dead.
And when any new boss comes in, there is tension and worry. It would be unrealistic if they all accepted her without batting an eye.But it went over so well on SG-1 with Mitchell. ;)

I agree though...and I'm hoping they show some genuine growing pains and give her and them a chance to adjust naturally.
Ah, but then this is the show that kills characters with, cough couhg, exploding tumors. Argh.I hated that too. I loved Carson and hate that he's gone.

dipsofjazz
June 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
besides, anybody who dates carter tends to DIE.

Actually that curse died with Pete walking away...not dead.

The only person we ever saw Sam dating was Pete and he is, as far as we know, still very much alive and well.
None of the men/aliens who had a crush on her actually dated her, so their demise has nothing to do with 'dating' her.

prion
June 2nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
The only person we ever saw Sam dating was Pete and he is, as far as we know, still very much alive and well.
None of the men/aliens who had a crush on her actually dated her, so their demise has nothing to do with 'dating' her.

well, i should correct that any guy showing interest in her tends to die...

let's see, martouff is toast, narim is probably dead, orlin is, well, we don't know, agent barrett fell down the stairs but luckily survived. that's why jack isn't dead. he's kept his distance! ;) it's the 'black widow' syndrome which many fans noticed as a bad pattern by the writers. sorta the female version of the guy's 'bonanza syndrome'.

Mitchell82
June 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Well with that line of logic, orchestrating treaties and mediating disputes between international rivals didn't qualify Weir for either the post at the SGC or Atlantis. However, the raw materials were there from her experience and character that the president and IOA saw fit to appoint her. Same with Carter.I doubt that would continue for long. Her role is different now. She's not a co-worker...she's the boss. Different relationship would require a different dynamic.Actually that curse died with Pete walking away...not dead.But it went over so well on SG-1 with Mitchell. ;)

I agree though...and I'm hoping they show some genuine growing pains and give her and them a chance to adjust naturally.I hated that too. I loved Carson and hate that he's gone.
Great points but what I really agree with is that they show unique and realistic growing pains and not accept Carter from the getgo.

343_Guilty_Spark
June 7th, 2007, 05:07 PM
That is ne thing that may get Carter a bit down is people dont trust her.

Skydiver
June 8th, 2007, 06:59 AM
i don't know if it'll be a lack of trust per se, but a lack of familiarity and a 'ok, so we knew how elizabeth would respond, will carter do the same?'

there will be an uncertainty between all of them. I think that's what i'm looking forward to the most, is the character interactions that uncertainty will bring

Pegasus_SGA
June 8th, 2007, 09:09 AM
i don't know if it'll be a lack of trust per se, but a lack of familiarity and a 'ok, so we knew how elizabeth would respond, will carter do the same?'

there will be an uncertainty between all of them. I think that's what i'm looking forward to the most, is the character interactions that uncertainty will bring

I agree, it's the same when any new boss comes on the scene you have to get used to the way they work. The've all had to do it at one point or another.
Return Spoilers
Shep had to do it with Landry and it was difficult at first as Shep was used to doing his own thing (would have liked to have seen the settling in period a bit more).

SG1 had to do it with Jack, Ford had to do it with Shep taking over from Sumner and now Carter and the the team will need to work it out together. The leader learns from the staff and the staff learns from their leader. I have no doubt we'll see a few hiccouphs along the way, it's inevitable. But they are all professionals at the end of the day and are fully aware of the chain of command. Respect is something that's earned, not given and it's a two way street. Sam knows she has a lot to learn about the Pegasus Gallaxy and she'll be reliant on her staff to bring her up to speed, and in turn they can learn a lot from her.

:D

Ltcolshepjumper
June 8th, 2007, 09:53 AM
In any case, the trust (from the expedition side) and carter's growth into the commander type should take place over the course of the entire season, not in a few episodes. Carter shouldn't be a pro at it right away (as in the first five episodes of her being there). It should take her at least until the mid-season two-parter to develop into a good and confident leader. and definitely she should listen to what the senior members of the expedition have to say.

Mitchell82
June 8th, 2007, 04:07 PM
In any case, the trust (from the expedition side) and carter's growth into the commander type should take place over the course of the entire season, not in a few episodes. Carter shouldn't be a pro at it right away (as in the first five episodes of her being there). It should take her at least until the mid-season two-parter to develop into a good and confident leader. and definitely she should listen to what the senior members of the expedition have to say.

I agree it should take awhile but i doubt it will take that long.

prion
June 8th, 2007, 04:51 PM

I don't think the writers will do that. Judging from how she's "so multifacted" Mallozzi's quote, I'm sure they'll have her up and nearly perfect in her job so quick it'll make your head spin. Sorry, it's just there's so much spin on Carter from TPTb that I'm sure she'll fit in too quickly. Plus now they're talking potential off-world trips?

Uber
June 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I don't think the writers will do that. Judging from how she's "so multifacted" Mallozzi's quote, I'm sure they'll have her up and nearly perfect in her job so quick it'll make your head spin. Sorry, it's just there's so much spin on Carter from TPTb that I'm sure she'll fit in too quickly. Plus now they're talking potential off-world trips?Oh geez. Old news.

JM said ages ago that because of her skillset, she'd be able to back Shep's team or assist in the technobabbling as needed.

How is it the idea of potential offworld trips a new one?:mckay:

343_Guilty_Spark
June 8th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Carte was one of the Off world team members anyway. so she know protocol like the back of her hand

prion
June 8th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Oh geez. Old news.

JM said ages ago that because of her skillset, she'd be able to back Shep's team or assist in the technobabbling as needed.

How is it the idea of potential offworld trips a new one?:mckay:

Because in the past, he's said 'support', not go off-world. If she starts joining the team, it will change the dynamic of the team. Sorry, but it sounds like CArter is going to be as insinuated in Atlantis as the stupid new Adobe Acrobat is on the computer. It's worse than Vista.

To SGA fans who like SGA as it is, it's not the best news.

Uber
June 8th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Because in the past, he's said 'support', not go off-world. If she starts joining the team, it will change the dynamic of the team. Sorry, but it sounds like CArter is going to be as insinuated in Atlantis as the stupid new Adobe Acrobat is on the computer. It's worse than Vista.

To SGA fans who like SGA as it is, it's not the best news.LOL

To SGA fans who like SGA as it is...nothing about Season 4 will be the best news since SGA isn't going to be like it was anymore.

"Support" means many things. Some fans attribute it to just mean that she'd stay behind a desk and say, "Go get 'em team!" and when they learn she'll do more than twiddle her thumbs, they cry, "Foul!"

But the truth is, Joe said a long time ago that they'd use her to support Shep's team offworld as needed as well as support the geeks while they're postulating.

Mitchell82
June 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM
LOL

To SGA fans who like SGA as it is...nothing about Season 4 will be the best news since SGA isn't going to be like it was anymore.

"Support" means many things. Some fans attribute it to just mean that she'd stay behind a desk and say, "Go get 'em team!" and when they learn she'll do more than twiddle her thumbs, they cry, "Foul!"

But the truth is, Joe said a long time ago that they'd use her to support Shep's team offworld as needed as well as support the geeks while they're postulating.

Agreed. It could mean many things. Just because Sam might go on offworld trips doesnt prove to me that anything will change that will hurt the show.

343_Guilty_Spark
June 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM
it could only be a support role if she is really needed. like the team is trapped and cant get out. and need someone who understand ancient tech really well

prion
June 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM
LOL

Yes, carter SHOULD stay back on Atlantis and wave the team off. She's the commander, just like Landry or Hammond, so should stay put. However, I doubt the writers can hold back on sending her through the gate to save the day ;)

If the team gets in trouble, send Lorne (military) or Zelenka (science).

343_Guilty_Spark
June 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM
yea she wil have the odd off world mission even jack o'niell when he was in command of the SGC went off world

Mitchell82
June 8th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Yes, carter SHOULD stay back on Atlantis and wave the team off. She's the commander, just like Landry or Hammond, so should stay put. However, I doubt the writers can hold back on sending her through the gate to save the day ;)

I have a feeling they will every now and then but keep it like Jack in season 8.

Uber
June 8th, 2007, 06:36 PM

If the team gets in trouble, send Lorne (military) or Zelenka (science).Right because why would they even consider sending a battle-seasoned soldier offworld to help out when they need it?

Mitchell82
June 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Right because why would they even consider sending a battle-seasoned soldier offworld to help out when they need it?

Excellent point.

prion
June 9th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Right because why would they even consider sending a battle-seasoned soldier offworld to help out when they need it?

And that's what Lorne is.... The thing is that carter's now the boss, and like Weir, unless she's needed for negotiations, she should stay put. It's an awful fact of life that if you're in science/engineering, and etc. and you get promoted to management, you kiss the fun part of your job goodbye and welcome bureaucratic crap, but you get a better pay and more prestige. Sam's just gotta suck it up ;)

jckfan55
June 9th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I don't think they'll send her offworld often, but Weir went off world a few times, didn't she? And Jack and Hammond did a few times. She might go to check out some new discovery, not so much to lead an actual mission.

Skydiver
June 9th, 2007, 08:52 AM
i don't think that sam will go off world any more htan weir did...which was what? once, twice a season?

IMHO, joe kinda got backed into a corner with 'will she go off world'

if he says 'no' then the script comes up where she does, he'll be called a liar. If he said 'yes' then the whole 'she's gonna supplant shep's commmand' will be tossed into his face.

sam is filling weir's job. weir occasionally went off world, thus it's logical for the same standards to apply to sam.

Cautious Explorer
June 9th, 2007, 09:40 AM
There was criticism when Weir went off-world that there was no need, she wasn't trained, etc. I think they may be bringing up Carter's abilities and training as an explanation of why it would be reasonable that she go off world occasionally, rather than trying to say she will practically become part of the off-world team.

prion
June 9th, 2007, 02:32 PM
i don't think that sam will go off world any more htan weir did...which was what? once, twice a season?

IMHO, joe kinda got backed into a corner with 'will she go off world'

if he says 'no' then the script comes up where she does, he'll be called a liar. If he said 'yes' then the whole 'she's gonna supplant shep's commmand' will be tossed into his face.

sam is filling weir's job. weir occasionally went off world, thus it's logical for the same standards to apply to sam.

One would think if Sam is filling Weir's shoes, then unless she's negotiating for nukes or the team, she's staying put. She'll stay in the control room 90% of the time, although occasionally we'll see her in corridors or the infirmary. If she goes offworld with the team, since she's the command, Shep will become second in command, which won't fly well with Sheppard fans... or McKay fans.

Mitchell82
June 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM
One would think if Sam is filling Weir's shoes, then unless she's negotiating for nukes or the team, she's staying put. She'll stay in the control room 90% of the time, although occasionally we'll see her in corridors or the infirmary. If she goes offworld with the team, since she's the command, Shep will become second in command, which won't fly well with Sheppard fans... or McKay fans.

The difference is however that Sam has combat expertise and Weir doesnt. As to the command yeah he would be second to Carter like Carter was when Jack went offworld in season 8. I doubt she'll go offworld much but 2-3 times wouldnt be a bad thing.

Falcon Horus
June 9th, 2007, 04:15 PM
The difference is however that Sam has combat expertise and Weir doesnt. As to the command yeah he would be second to Carter like Carter was when Jack went offworld in season 8. I doubt she'll go offworld much but 2-3 times wouldnt be a bad thing.

And the Wraith will feast upon all the information they can get from her... Yeah right! She can go off-world when it's safe to do so. Just like Weir. Putting your leader on the front lines isn't a smart strategical move.

Mitchell82
June 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM
And the Wraith will feast upon all the information they can get from her... Yeah right! She can go off-world when it's safe to do so. Just like Weir. Putting your leader on the front lines isn't a smart strategical move.

Since when did the Wraith become psychics? Feeding is just that they don't get information too. As to the second part it happens all the time. Leaders are on the field as needed and Carter has enough experience to be needed in desperate situations.

Willow'sCat
June 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Imho, the only reason Weir went off-world was because tptb were trying to find something for the character to do... problem is with shows like this the Leader, Capt (look at most cop shows) stays close to home and once or twice in an ep talks with the team, but for some odd reason in SGA they wanted Weir to be more central to the show.

And it seems clear to me that after McKay was shown in season one to be more interesting to write *and have more chemistry with Sheppard* they pretty much ditched the whole Weir & Sheppard (female/male lead) in all but credits... for the McKay & Sheppard show... In short Weir never worked as tptb had wanted but unfortunately they gave fans false hope that she would become more central. You can't blame the fans, tptb more or less gave the impression that Weir was not Hammond... they used the diplomacy thing, the reading ancient tech thing as reasons to have the character on the show... but then they failed miserably to take any real advantage.

With Sam on Atlantis I have to wonder if she really will be Hammond now *who worked so well as he stayed in his place ;) and everyone pretty much loved him :)* or if tptb are going to try again to have the Leader of Atlantis be more involved... from what BamBam said it seems they maybe trying for the subtle approach (yes I am trying not to laugh at that myself), but then giving Sam her own ep means they are also looking to flesh her out more in the eyes of Atlantis fans.

Anyway the bottom line for me is you have a leader, they stay at home... if/when they go off world (just like heads of state on Earth) they need to be fully protected with masses of personal around (which Atlantis reallly still doesn't have)... you can't seriously have them wondering on planets *experience or not* they are too valuable to risk losing them or worse case scenario them being kidnapped (oh yeah like Weir) and held to ransom.

*sigh*

prion
June 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Since when did the Wraith become psychics? Feeding is just that they don't get information too. As to the second part it happens all the time. Leaders are on the field as needed and Carter has enough experience to be needed in desperate situations.

Since "The Rising." Remember, wraithkeeper with koolaid purple hair plundered 'earth' out of Sumner's mind before she fed on him. If they so desire, they can mess with your head, but more often than not they just want to do lunch.

Imho, the only reason Weir went off-world was because tptb were trying to find something for the character to do... problem is with shows like this the Leader, Capt (look at most cop shows) stays close to home and once or twice in an ep talks with the team, but for some odd reason in SGA they wanted Weir to be more central to the show.

And it seems clear to me that after McKay was shown in season one to be more interesting to write *and have more chemistry with Sheppard* they pretty much ditched the whole Weir & Sheppard (female/male lead) in all but credits... for the McKay & Sheppard show... In short Weir never worked as tptb had wanted but unfortunately they gave fans false hope that she would become more central. You can't blame the fans, tptb more of less gave the impression that Weir was not Hammond... they used the diplomacy thing, the reading ancient tech thing as reasons to have the character on the show... but then they failed miserably to take any real advantage.

With Sam on Atlantis I have to wonder if she really will be Hammond now *who worked so well as he stayed in his place ;) and everyone pretty much loved him :)* or if tptb are going to try again to have the Leader of Atlantis be more involved... from what BamBam said it seems they maybe trying for the subtle approach (yes I am trying not to laugh at that myself), but then giving Sam her own ep means they are also looking to flesh her out more in the eyes of Atlantis fans.

Anyway the bottom line for me is you have a leader, they stay at home... if/when they go off world (just like heads of state on Earth) they need to be fully protected with masses of personal around (which Atlantis reallly still doesn't have)... you can't seriously have them wondering on planets *experience or not* they are too valuable to risk losing them or worse case scenario them being kidnapped (oh yeah like Weir) and held to ransom.

*sigh*

Yup.

Uber
June 9th, 2007, 09:31 PM
And that's what Lorne is.... The thing is that carter's now the boss, and like Weir, unless she's needed for negotiations, she should stay put. It's an awful fact of life that if you're in science/engineering, and etc. and you get promoted to management, you kiss the fun part of your job goodbye and welcome bureaucratic crap, but you get a better pay and more prestige. Sam's just gotta suck it up ;)Well as I posted in another thread, sometimes it's necessary for the base leader to go offworld. Weir's done it too when needed. The difference with Carter is that she's got the training and experience to participate when the situation inevitably goes fubar.

majortrip
June 9th, 2007, 09:43 PM
This is my first post in this thread and I haven't gone back and read every single page here, so I'm sorry if I echo anyone else's sentiments.

I expect that at first, there may be some tension between the Atlantis team and Carter. Firstly, we don't know what happens to Elizabeth, and I think Sheppard may have become spoiled to the mostly free-reign Weir gave him, so I expect some at least minimal resitance from him. However, from how we've seen them interact before or how he's spoken of her before, I doubt there'll be too much scrapping. Secondly, I wonder how closely Carter will be aligned with the SGC's philosophy regarding Atlantis once she becomes entrenched there? For example, I have to wonder if Carter would think that Ellis' orders from First Strike would've been the best course of action, either. I suspect perhaps not, but maybe that's just how I view Carter. Finally, I expect some Carter/McKay banter, and I do expect some resistance from him regarding Carter as Weir's replacement. The whole "Who's smarter?" thing could become very annoying if they dwell too much on it. Hopefully they won't.

I think that once they get over these initial hurdles, it may be smooth sailing.

Pegasus_SGA
June 10th, 2007, 01:51 AM

And it seems clear to me that after McKay was shown in season one to be more interesting to write *and have more chemistry with Sheppard* they pretty much ditched the whole Weir & Sheppard (female/male lead) in all but credits... for the McKay & Sheppard show... In short Weir never worked as tptb had wanted but unfortunately they gave fans false hope that she would become more central. You can't blame the fans, tptb more or less gave the impression that Weir was not Hammond... they used the diplomacy thing, the reading ancient tech thing as reasons to have the character on the show... but then they failed miserably to take any real advantage.

*sigh*

Well said, Willow. The 'commanders role' be it civilian or military in the 'gates has always been that way; with Hammond, Jack and Weir, and while some contributions from the leader have meant going off-world it's few and far between. So I see Sam's role in Atlantis reflected very much in the same light as the commanding role has always been.

Falcon Horus
June 10th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Since "The Rising." Remember, wraithkeeper with koolaid purple hair plundered 'earth' out of Sumner's mind before she fed on him. If they so desire, they can mess with your head, but more often than not they just want to do lunch.

What Prion said... Beat me to it.

Exactly what I tried to say but failed a little in.

ParadoxRealities
June 10th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Well as I posted in another thread, sometimes it's necessary for the base leader to go offworld. Weir's done it too when needed. The difference with Carter is that she's got the training and experience to participate when the situation inevitably goes fubar.but that doesn't mean she should go off-world, just that she's more capable to (in some situations) when she must.

prion
June 10th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Well, I will say that the only truly positive thing about Carter in SGA is that she has finally combed her hair ;) Sorry, it seems for years on end the show was incapable of providing hair conditioner for the poor woman. Obviously she's raided Shep's stash of hair gel ;)

MIZA
June 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM
i think it will be ok, but i am not so sure that is a wise move for the writers it might ruin the show, but who knows ?

honestly i really do hope it works out for the SGA

343_Guilty_Spark
June 10th, 2007, 04:44 PM
if it doesnt Earth is boned.

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2007, 05:42 PM
i think it will be ok, but i am not so sure that is a wise move for the writers it might ruin the show, but who knows ?

honestly i really do hope it works out for the SGA

I hope it plays out well too. I don't want this show to end.

maxbo
June 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Unless JM states that Sam will never go off-world, then I expect her go off-world at least once and I'm okay with that. If she goes off-world twice (in 14 episodes), then that would be stretching it, but still bearable. However, if she goes off-world more than twice, then that would be too much.

Mitchell82
June 11th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Unless JM states that Sam will never go off-world, then I expect her go off-world at least once and I'm okay with that. If she goes off-world twice (in 14 episodes), then that would be stretching it, but still bearable. However, if she goes off-world more than twice, then that would be too much.

I'd be fine if she goes offworld 2 or three times as long as it is esential to the story.

prion
June 11th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Agreed. The writers should keep to their promise of support only and if she's going to command the base, she should (like all managers, etc.) be stuck there. It's hell, but somebody's gotta do it...

RealmOfX
June 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Agreed. The writers should keep to their promise of support only and if she's going to command the base, she should (like all managers, etc.) be stuck there. It's hell, but somebody's gotta do it...

You mean just like Shep's the military commander and should be stuck on base not out leading a team?

Actually I think you need to get a more definitive meaning of the support role from the person who said it because your biasness on the interpretation of the word seems to be getting in the way of logic. I happen to agree that the more senior you are the less field work you do, HOWEVER so long as there is a valid reason for it, I see nothing wrong with it.

Keeping in mind that when you are military and on the frontlines (which Atlantis is) the action ebbs and flows and sometimes the action comes to you and you are expected to do everything in your power to deal with it. If that means the leader has to be involved in the action then so be it. However they shouldn't be doing it all the time like Shep does, that really is a joke.

Now how do I think that Carter will get along with Atlantis?

I would love some realism about the whole situation and am hoping that the writers do it well but I also have seen their past efforts and realise that unless things have changed that they may not be up to the task. On paper a person with Sam's background and skills is an ideal candidate for the position of leading the Atlantis expedition however it is all in the writers hands how they incorporate her into the position and how she interacts with the other characters. That is what has me worried, not the character but the writers.

Whether you like Sam or not is not the point, the writers have established that she is an excellent officer who is well liked and I would expect that to carry over to her new position. I expect normal teething problems as with anyone assuming a new command, there is a period of adjustment for EVERYONE. Some people adapt easily and others don't. I expect Sam and Rodney to deal with their issues in an adult manner, I expect Sam to establish reasonable ground rules and act professionally. Rodney I expect to be a Rodney that has shown some elements of character development but that's a big maybe because of the writers.

I expect that there will be clashes with the military men especially with Caldwell who has not hidden the fact that he would like to be in command of Atlantis. I also expect there to be teething problems with Shep and Sam as they establish a working relationship. I also expect the military personnel to show due respect to Sam.

Meanwhile on the civilian front I expect surprises because the civilians do not have a strict code of conduct to adhere to and scientists and academics are very cliquey and opinionated. Overall after the occurrences in First Strike I expect there to be consequences that need to be dealt with but unfortunately neither of the 'Gates have been doing well on that front for quite a while now.

Sam should fit in reasonably well in Atlantis with a few teething problems but that all depends on the writers who I have recently had not much confidence in. So here I am sitting on the fence hoping for the best but won't be surprised if we get the worst.

prion
June 12th, 2007, 08:43 AM
You mean just like Shep's the military commander and should be stuck on base not out leading a team?

Actually I think you need to get a more definitive meaning of the support role from the person who said it because your biasness on the interpretation of the word seems to be getting in the way of logic. I happen to agree that the more senior you are the less field work you do, HOWEVER so long as there is a valid reason for it, I see nothing wrong with it.

Keeping in mind that when you are military and on the frontlines (which Atlantis is) the action ebbs and flows and sometimes the action comes to you and you are expected to do everything in your power to deal with it. If that means the leader has to be involved in the action then so be it. However they shouldn't be doing it all the time like Shep does, that really is a joke.

Now how do I think that Carter will get along with Atlantis?

I would love some realism about the whole situation and am hoping that the writers do it well but I also have seen their past efforts and realise that unless things have changed that they may not be up to the task. On paper a person with Sam's background and skills is an ideal candidate for the position of leading the Atlantis expedition however it is all in the writers hands how they incorporate her into the position and how she interacts with the other characters. That is what has me worried, not the character but the writers.

Whether you like Sam or not is not the point, the writers have established that she is an excellent officer who is well liked and I would expect that to carry over to her new position. I expect normal teething problems as with anyone assuming a new command, there is a period of adjustment for EVERYONE. Some people adapt easily and others don't. I expect Sam and Rodney to deal with their issues in an adult manner, I expect Sam to establish reasonable ground rules and act professionally. Rodney I expect to be a Rodney that has shown some elements of character development but that's a big maybe because of the writers.

I expect that there will be clashes with the military men especially with Caldwell who has not hidden the fact that he would like to be in command of Atlantis. I also expect there to be teething problems with Shep and Sam as they establish a working relationship. I also expect the military personnel to show due respect to Sam.

Meanwhile on the civilian front I expect surprises because the civilians do not have a strict code of conduct to adhere to and scientists and academics are very cliquey and opinionated. Overall after the occurrences in First Strike I expect there to be consequences that need to be dealt with but unfortunately neither of the 'Gates have been doing well on that front for quite a while now.

Sam should fit in reasonably well in Atlantis with a few teething problems but that all depends on the writers who I have recently had not much confidence in. So here I am sitting on the fence hoping for the best but won't be surprised if we get the worst.

The person who said Sam would be supporting was Mallozzi, so I seriously doubt we'll get a definitive answer out of him, as he also recently said that Carter "can" go out on missions, etc. Didn't say would, but didn't say wouldn't either and rarely gives a straight answer.

After watching a decade of SG-1, no, don't have a lot of faith in writers to actually have Carter experience problems (that can't be solved in ten minutes) in running the base, ditto with Sheppard. These are the same people who wrote "Irresponsible" after all. Carter can be a great character, but the writers keep her slotted in the neat nearly perfect scientist.

Hmm, after "First Strike," I'd think some heads would role, but with the military people who thought up the idea in the first place. Not very bright...

What we need, instead of replacing characters, is perhaps replacing some writers... or at least have someone swat them with a rolled-up NY Times Sunday edition and scream "You wrote that script already! Don't do it again!" ;)

RealmOfX
June 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM
The person who said Sam would be supporting was Mallozzi, so I seriously doubt we'll get a definitive answer out of him, as he also recently said that Carter "can" go out on missions, etc. Didn't say would, but didn't say wouldn't either and rarely gives a straight answer.

After watching a decade of SG-1, no, don't have a lot of faith in writers to actually have Carter experience problems (that can't be solved in ten minutes) in running the base, ditto with Sheppard. These are the same people who wrote "Irresponsible" after all. Carter can be a great character, but the writers keep her slotted in the neat nearly perfect scientist.

Hmm, after "First Strike," I'd think some heads would role, but with the military people who thought up the idea in the first place. Not very bright...

What we need, instead of replacing characters, is perhaps replacing some writers... or at least have someone swat them with a rolled-up NY Times Sunday edition and scream "You wrote that script already! Don't do it again!" ;)

Yup I know who said that supporting bit, I just think you have a rather narrow and one eyed view of what supporting actually means and as we know coming from JM it could mean anything.

I agree with you on the writers, I would have been happier if they had of turfed a few of TPTB who couldn't get their act together rather than turfing some much loved characters. I'm of the opinion that if they couldn't get things working to their full potential in 3 years then they don't have much hope by changing cast and hitting the bloody reset button.

I still have hopes that with M&M running things we'll be back with Paul Mullie's balancing influence on Mallozzi and that they'll move things in a good direction and any thing remotely resembling an "Irr...." epsiode will never see the light of day again. Hey I'm willing to give them a chance at calling the shots. One positive thing is that they have instituted script read throughs with the cast so that's good.

Bad news is that they brought McCullough from SG-1 with them and that man can really go OOC with the scripts, great ideas conceptually but totally poor implementation, hopefully the read throughs will stop a lot of that. See, I don't have a problem with the Carter character and can see how she could fit in and benefit the show, it all depends on the writers and they are the ones I don't have much confidence in.

I think I need a new sig. Something about sitting on the fence, hoping for the best but won't be surprised if they stuff it up.

prion
June 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Yup I know who said that supporting bit, I just think you have a rather narrow and one eyed view of what supporting actually means and as we know coming from JM it could mean anything.

I agree with you on the writers, I would have been happier if they had of turfed a few of TPTB who couldn't get their act together rather than turfing some much loved characters. I'm of the opinion that if they couldn't get things working to their full potential in 3 years then they don't have much hope by changing cast and hitting the bloody reset button.

I still have hopes that with M&M running things we'll be back with Paul Mullie's balancing influence on Mallozzi and that they'll move things in a good direction and any thing remotely resembling an "Irr...." epsiode will never see the light of day again. Hey I'm willing to give them a chance at calling the shots. One positive thing is that they have instituted script read throughs with the cast so that's good.

Bad news is that they brought McCullough from SG-1 with them and that man can really go OOC with the scripts, great ideas conceptually but totally poor implementation, hopefully the read throughs will stop a lot of that. See, I don't have a problem with the Carter character and can see how she could fit in and benefit the show, it all depends on the writers and they are the ones I don't have much confidence in.

I think I need a new sig. Something about sitting on the fence, hoping for the best but won't be surprised if they stuff it up.

Uh, no, not a 'narrow and one eyed' (geez, that's a weird description) view of what 'supporting' means. It just means that I don't put a lot of stock in what Mallozzi spins on his blog. In television, supporting means background, at times, quite literally. Everybody should know by now that the producers/writetrs love Carter (you just need read their interviews). There's nothing wrong in that except it can be at the expense of other characters.

If the writers handle it properly, Carter can be utilized well and most fans won't be ticked off. If they can't get away from their love affair with Carter, then a lot of fans might be further ticked off.

I'd like to see Ken C come back on as he did an excellent job with "Common Ground."

RealmOfX
June 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM
If the writers handle it properly, Carter can be utilized well and most fans won't be ticked off. If they can't get away from their love affair with Carter, then a lot of fans might be further ticked off.

<snerk> What love affair? Oh you mean the one where they take your role and give it to an incompetent caricature and turn you into wallpaper for two years?

I'd like to see Ken C come back on as he did an excellent job with "Common Ground."

I would definitely love to see that, I did enjoy his work.

*wanders away grumbling about having McCullough instead*

carterrocks
August 3rd, 2007, 04:16 AM
How Sam will get along with the Atlantis cast?

Sheppard- I think they will be military boneheads together.

McKay- Well Sam will be like "Stop following be McKay" and in between they will probably talk about science and such.

Teyla- I think they will respect one of other, Teyla may not trust her to begin with but she will in the end.

Ronnon- I dont he will trust her to begin with but lets face it Ronon is just a dumber Teal'c :) they will get on fine in the end.

jenks
August 3rd, 2007, 04:34 AM
With sign language, just for a laugh.

Falcon Horus
August 3rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
What, Carter has to get along with Atlantis?

Are you kidding me... Is that really necessary. I'm pretty sure the city wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between one human being and another. Now if she were a Wraith, that the city would pick up on probably. If the sensors worked properly.

Author's note: I'm just kidding. This is not meant to be a serious post.

the dancer of spaz
August 3rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
What, Carter has to get along with Atlantis?

Are you kidding me... Is that really necessary. I'm pretty sure the city wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between one human being and another. Now if she were a Wraith, that the city would pick up on probably. If the sensors worked properly.

Did anyone say she *has* to get along with Atlantis? I thought the topic question was, "How Will Carter Get Along With Atlantis?"...

It looks like she and McKay will butt heads ocassionally, which will remain realistic as long as they're not always so quip-happy.

I think (hope) Carter and Sheppard will be awkward at first, trying to find their footing with another officer who used to be their equal.

Teyla and Ronon can be distant at first, until finally Ronon comes around. Teyla may not trust Carter as quickly, but we'll see.

Lorne will probably trust her, having worked with her at the SGC. Zelenka will probably reserve judgment - he was pretty close to Liz, I think.

Someone said Keller and Carter will develop a friendship... They're both outsiders, like Teyla and Ronon used to be, so I think that'll be interesting.

I hope she butts heads with Caldwell, Ellis and Woosley from time to time, as she plays devil's advocate for Sheppard's team and Atlantis' crew. I'd like to see her fierce loyalty play out as the season progresses, and she grows a bit more comfortable in her skin.

Falcon Horus
August 3rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Did anyone say she *has* to get along with Atlantis? I thought the topic question was, "How Will Carter Get Along With Atlantis?"...

I was joking... :o But apparently that wasn't the brightest idea. *hides*

the dancer of spaz
August 3rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
I was joking... :o But apparently that wasn't the brightest idea. *hides*

Sorry. It's just that... I've seen a lot of serious hostility around the forum regarding these issues. And they clearly weren't jokes. It's kind of hard to tell the difference these days when people are so visceral and immovable with their POVs on one thread, and then make jokes on other discussion threads...

I see now you were being tongue and cheek. :)

Falcon Horus
August 3rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Sorry. It's just that... I've seen a lot of serious hostility around the forum regarding these issues. And they clearly weren't jokes. It's kind of hard to tell the difference these days when people are so visceral and immovable with their POVs on one thread, and then make jokes on other discussion threads...

I see now you were being tongue and cheek. :)

It's okay. I should have posted a note about it. Shall do so now, see. Just to be on the safe side. You're right though, one can't be sure anymore what is a joke and what is meant as dead serious.

Alexandra
August 6th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I think they will all get along well after the first 'I miss Elizabeth' moments, they will all be mature and try to make this transition as easy as possible. I think it would be a mistake to write a big protest against Carter from the people in Atlantis, that's not going to happen.

Probably, IMO, they will make a few first episodes with her taking some big decision that should make us ask ourselves 'how did we ever exist without such a great leader?', then they will have her make some mistakes so that we don't end up saying 'she'd not real, she's to good at anything', or some other predictable thing to make us swallow the change faster and get on with the killing and nuclear bombs.

But overall, they will get along fine, I am sure, they have too, if the tptb says they should all love Sam, because they want to make us all love Sam. They can't write her annoying and stupid, we wouldn't like her and watch the show.

It's all about ratings, the people in Atlantis have to like her because we have to like her.
End of story.

p.s. and I'm not pesimistic today. maybe I'm just realistic?

ReganX
August 6th, 2007, 05:30 AM
I think they will all get along well after the first 'I miss Elizabeth' moments, they will all be mature and try to make this transition as easy as possible. I think it would be a mistake to write a big protest against Carter from the people in Atlantis, that's not going to happen.

Probably, IMO, they will make a few first episodes with her taking some big decision that should make us ask ourselves 'how did we ever exist without such a great leader?', then they will have her make some mistakes so that we don't end up saying 'she'd not real, she's to good at anything', or some other predictable thing to make us swallow the change faster and get on with the killing and nuclear bombs.

But overall, they will get along fine, I am sure, they have too, if the tptb says they should all love Sam, because they want to make us all love Sam. They can't write her annoying and stupid, we wouldn't like her and watch the show.

It's all about ratings, the people in Atlantis have to like her because we have to like her.
End of story.

p.s. and I'm not pesimistic today. maybe I'm just realistic?

They tried the hard sell with Mitchell and it wasn't exactly a resounding success, so hopefully they will be more sensitive this time around.

Atlantis has been a community for three years, with Weir as a very important member of that community so it would be unnatural for the remaining members of the expedition team not to miss her, just as it would be unnatural for Sam to be welcomed with open arms the second she sets foot on Atlantis.

Even if some people have met her and others know her by reputation, she is, for the most part, an unknown quantity to them.

the dancer of spaz
August 6th, 2007, 07:50 AM
They tried the hard sell with Mitchell and it wasn't exactly a resounding success, so hopefully they will be more sensitive this time around.

Atlantis has been a community for three years, with Weir as a very important member of that community so it would be unnatural for the remaining members of the expedition team not to miss her, just as it would be unnatural for Sam to be welcomed with open arms the second she sets foot on Atlantis.

Even if some people have met her and others know her by reputation, she is, for the most part, an unknown quantity to them.

That sums it up perfectly.

I would think that they don't really need to sell Carter so hard, because she's an existing character in the Stargate universe. At the same time, realistically, it would be best if there is at least a bit of resistance or consternation on the part of the main Atlantis characters, considering Weir was such an integral part of operations. She was more than a leader; she was their friend.

If TPTB ignore that fact, and pretend like Weir never existed, I don't think it will bode well for Carter's integration.

vaberella
August 6th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Makes you wish the entire cast was made up of Kavanaugh replicators. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/vaberella/happy0188.gif

Imagine Weir amidst a slew of Kavanaugh replicators...I just figured out her nightmare if she was in Doppelganger. Terrifying...http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/vaberella/cryingwlaughter.gif

On a serious note, you are correct. It is extremely unrealistic for us not to see some conflict between Sam and the rest of the characters. Not only unrealistic it wouldn't flow with the storyline.

What's interesting is that now one of Earth will be considered an outsider. That just shows you the magnitude of the SGA Ex's status. It is now a nation of it's own, a group of people that associate it as home, especially for those who have been there for 3 years. Teyla and her people were the first outsiders, now Teyla is one of them and her people close cousins. Then came Ronon, and now he's earned his place along with the others on the team and on Atlantis, now Carter must be the outsider.

She will also have to face her own internal conflict. Being basically an unwanted loner on the Atlantis, one who happens to hold a great deal of power and importance on Earth and who doesn't really understand the people of the Ex and how they come to live and exist. Actually, what would be great would to be see some of the more native rituals or habitulations as their own. Like a day where they eat Teyla's cooking or something. And Carter just not connecting on any level with these things. So she'd be strugglin with her own disconnection from her family and friends on earth and struggling with understanding and connecting (at least early on) with some acquantainces and mainly strangers from the SGA Ex.

Good stuff.

Skydiver
August 6th, 2007, 09:17 AM
If TPTB ignore that fact, and pretend like Weir never existed, I don't think it will bode well for Carter's integration.

it will not bode well AT ALL

Just think about real life...ever gotten a new teacher halfway through the semester? or a new boss?

there is always that awkward 'getting to know you' phase. where people find the new boundaries, be they good or bad.

and that's what needs to happen here. we need discomfort, we need oops, we need awkwardness

Skydiver
August 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM
also there's teh spoiler that sam doesn't want this assignment or this command. she doesn't call up the IOA and say 'i want to apply for the job'...it's my understanding that it's more like 'yeah, while you're there you'll babysit this won't you colonel....with it more a statement than a question

the atlantis crew might not want here there, and she doesn't want to be there

jckfan55
August 6th, 2007, 09:40 AM
also there's teh spoiler that sam doesn't want this assignment or this command. she doesn't call up the IOA and say 'i want to apply for the job'...it's my understanding that it's more like 'yeah, while you're there you'll babysit this won't you colonel....with it more a statement than a question

the atlantis crew might not want here there, and she doesn't want to be there
That sounds like a good premise. I don't think we've ever seen Sam express a particular interest in Atlantis, so it would be weird if she *wanted* the job. Also making her go after it with Weir possibly lying in the infirmary dying for all they know would be a good way to turn people against her. I couldn't see it.

Mandysg1
August 6th, 2007, 10:22 AM

it will not bode well AT ALL

Just think about real life...ever gotten a new teacher halfway through the semester? or a new boss?

there is always that awkward 'getting to know you' phase. where people find the new boundaries, be they good or bad.

and that's what needs to happen here. we need discomfort, we need oops, we need awkwardness

True, I hope that the new PTB JM and PM (?) aren't like Coop, he didn't like the old baggage, but the baggage is what makes the show. So hopefully they will have learned from that and fit Sam into the show, meaning there should be conflict to her taking over Weir's job and the other characters should show their emotions about what is happening.

Falcon Horus
December 22nd, 2007, 05:19 AM
She's not.

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 07:21 AM
Carter worked well with everybody in Reunion, Doppelganger and The Seer imo. we haven't seen much of her since but I'm pretty sure the back half will only confirm this

ToasterOnFire
December 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
as of right now i think sam is doing wonderful and is getting along pretty well with the characters.

i was hoping more conflict but
You can't have conflict if one of the two parties is frequently absent with not even a mention. :D

jenks
December 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Well she'll be in 14 out of the 20 episodes, so I'm guessing she'll be in most of the back half of the season...

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Well she'll be in 14 out of the 20 episodes, so I'm guessing she'll be in most of the back half of the season...

first half: 6/10 eps
second half: 8/10 eps

Mitchell82
December 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
You can't have conflict if one of the two parties is frequently absent with not even a mention. :D

She didn't need a mention in the eps she wasn't in but so far she has fit in nicely and works well with the rest of the team. So far we havent seen much conflict except with Woolsey which hse handled superbly.