Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else not care about Civilians running atlantis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone else not care about Civilians running atlantis?

It seems like the conflict between Civiliian wanting to run the operations and Military people thinking it would be better if THEY ran it, is going to be a common theme in Atlantis. I really DONT CARE who runs it. I really think they should just drop this subject all together. Anyone else who couldnt care less about who runs Atlantis?
    FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

It's a source of something every sci-fi/drama/adventure show needs in order to be successful: tension. The whole conflict will allow us to see how Weir develops as a strong leader as well as let us see where Ford and Shep stand on the issue (the original mandate vs. new orders). I see it as one of the best things to happen to the show, one that's been hinted at all the way back in Rising and Suspicion.
    Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Dr. Weir is my favorite character on the show, and it's a vehicle for her character developement. So yes, I actually care a great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
        Dr. Weir is my favorite character on the show, and it's a vehicle for her character developement. So yes, I actually care a great deal.
        I agree with Major Fischer. Please corrected me if I am wrong. The head of the US Armed Forces is a cilivian, The President of United States. The title of the our armed forces is Commander-in-Chief.

Therefore, there are probably other projects over the world where military and cilivians work together and are run by the Cilivians.

So as I said before, I agree that a cilivian could run Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
          I agree with Major Fischer. Please corrected me if I am wrong. The head of the US Armed Forces is a cilivian, The President of United States. The title of the our armed forces is Commander-in-Chief.

Therefore, there are probably other projects over the world where military and cilivians work together and are run by the Cilivians.

So as I said before, I agree that a cilivian could run Atlantis.
          Yes, that is quite right. US armed forces are lead by the President, who is also refered to as the Commander-in-chief.

Comment

Having a civilian in command is supposed to be one of the primary differences that sets Atlantis apart from SG-1. Lose that and you're one step closer to making Atlantis SG-1 Redux.

Comment

Originally posted by Im_just_guessing
              Anyone else who couldnt care less about who runs Atlantis?
              I think that it is an important plot point. SG-1 has the NID and co to nip at their heels while trying to save Earth from outside menaces. Looks like the military vs civilian oversight debate will become one of Atlantis' internal conflict storylines.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Yes, I also think it is a very vital part of the plot. Personally, I would rather have military in charge. I so want to see an alternate reality episode where Weir got Wraith'd, and Col. Sumner is in charge of Atlantis!!
                O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
                Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Comment

Without a doubt, I think the more active civilian presence is a good thing. "Rising"
                  Spoiler:
                  In the back of my mind, I always thought that if he hadn't died, Colonel Sumner would have eventually mutined against Weir.
                  Rocky

Comment

I think Weir brings a great humanitarian virtue to the show, and it helps to level out what has obviously become a very military based operation. She has yet to do anything that great in terms of this, but I'm sure in time she'll level things out.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                      Without a doubt, I think the more active civilian presence is a good thing. "Rising"
                      Spoiler:
                      In the back of my mind, I always thought that if he hadn't died, Colonel Sumner would have eventually mutined against Weir.
                      Ooh! Ooh! Look at me go off-topic! Rocket, this one is too juicy to pass up. I'm going to disagree.
                      Spoiler:
                      Sumner had too much respect for the chain of command to mutiny. That's why he didn't like or trust Sheppard much. He may not have liked having Weir in charge, but she would depend on him too much to run the military aspect. In essence, he'd still report to her, but for the most part the military would be run by his judgement.
                      Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

I actually like the fact that civilians are running Atlantis. It adds a twist to the program. They don't have to follow military regulations, like SG1; which opens up their options a bit. As someone else mentioned, TPTB have to do something to differentiate Atlantis from SG1. Otherwise, it is just SG1 visits the Pegasus galaxy.

Comment

I think Weir and Mckay are the only real charachters so far. I wouldn't watch the show to see a tiny group of American soldiers shoot monsters in low budget settings.

Oh yeah, and the military leader is very gifted at driving but he's got a problem with hierarchy. Original
                          No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
                          I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
                          Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
                            I think Weir and Mckay are the only real charachters so far. I wouldn't watch the show to see a tiny group of American soldiers shoot monsters in low budget settings.

Oh yeah, and the military leader is very gifted at driving but he's got a problem with hierarchy. Original
                            FLYING he's a gifted PILOT.... and every good pilot has a problem with authority (trust me ) it's built into the training or something

Comment

I think as soon as the wraith were awakened, it should have become a military operation because it is a war just staying alive. I bet if they could keep frequent contact with earth, it would be.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Working...
                              X