This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis in the SG-1 movies?

I've read that none of the Atlantis characters will be in the SG-1 movies, though that doesn't rule out McKay nor Weir since they originated on SG-1. Anyway, that doesn't mean their can't be last minute cameos. For those of you who saw Star Trek: Nemesis, Berman wanted a VOY character to make a cameo in the movie. It was going to be Seven of Nine, but the actress wasn't available. After filming had begun, they called up Kate Mulgrew (Captain Janeway) and asked her if she wanted to be in the movie. Instead of Random Admiral giving orders to Picard, it was Admiral Janeway. Forgive me if that was a little long winded, but my point is that while Atlantis characters won't be featured in the movie, that doesn't rule out a two-minute cameo.

So, does anyone think there will be SG:A cameos in the movies? I would imagine that McKay will have a cameo in one of them.

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    I've read that none of the Atlantis characters will be in the SG-1 movies, though that doesn't rule out McKay nor Weir since they originated on SG-1. Anyway, that doesn't mean their can't be last minute cameos. For those of you who saw Star Trek: Nemesis, Berman wanted a VOY character to make a cameo in the movie. It was going to be Seven of Nine, but the actress wasn't available. After filming had begun, they called up Kate Mulgrew (Captain Janeway) and asked her if she wanted to be in the movie. Instead of Random Admiral giving orders to Picard, it was Admiral Janeway. Forgive me if that was a little long winded, but my point is that while Atlantis characters won't be featured in the movie, that doesn't rule out a two-minute cameo.

So, does anyone think there will be SG:A cameos in the movies? I would imagine that McKay will have a cameo in one of them.
    Why exactly? It's completely unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Truskawka View Post
      That's true.

It would be completely unnecessary, and that's exactly what you could say about Janeway's Nemesis appearance but in the end, it was a nice seeing her again and finding out what had happened to her.

Depending what is going on, I couldn't really see McKay appearing but it's always possible we could get a cameo from him or Weir. Weir could be on base, or McKay could be dialing in from Atlantis to give an update or something.

But to be honest, I can't see it being done considering how Atlantis ended. I could see someone like Jonas at the SGC talking about what happened, or contacting the SGC offworld to talk abut how the Orii army left. Something like that. But no SGA cameo.

sigpic

Comment

The only cameo I could imagine would be maybe McKay or Lorne in Continuum.

Comment

Movies aren't about necessity, they're about entertaining the audience.

I'll use the Star Trek movies as an example of how cameos work in the movies favor.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
          This was intended to be the final Star Trek movie (with the original crew) and a prelude to TNG with the Klingons want peace story. It came out during TNG's 5th season (of 7). Michael Dorn (Worf on TNG) made a cameo as Colonel Worf, TNG Worf's grandfather. Colonel Worf was responsible for defending Kirk and McCoy when put on trial for the assasination of the Klingon Chanceller. This makes for a fun scene for the TNG viewers seeing the new ST movie, and it also expands on Worf's character showing that even his grandfather was an honorable and just man.

Star Trek: Generations
          This movie begins several months after ST6 with Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov. After 20 minutes or so, it leaps forward to the TNG era and continues as a TNG story for the duration of the film, though Kirk returns for the climax. Kirk was necessary since the story was concieved as a Kirk/Picard movie. Scotty and Chekov weren't necessary to the story, but they deffinately add to it.

Star Trek: First Contact
          When this movie came out, Worf had been part of the DS9 cast for a year and a half. They had to figure out a logical way to get Worf on the Enterprise. This resulted in DS9's Defiant making a cameo. Just as the Borg is about to destroy the ship, the Enterprise saves the day and beams the survivors aboard as Defiant's life support fails. Later in the movie, sickbay is about to be invaded by several Borg drones. Dr. Crusher activates the Emergency Medical Program and then Robert Picardo appears! I saw this at the theater, and the audience roared with laughter. Obviously it wasn't VOY's Doctor, but it's the same EMH program.

Star Trek: Nemesis
          Three cameos were planned for this movie: Guinnan and Wesley from TNG (since it was to be the last TNG movie) and Seven of Nine from VOY. Guinnan and Wesley were at the Riker/Troi wedding, though Wesley's scene was cut. (Thanks, Stuart Baird. ) Jeri Ryan was unavaible so Janeway was written into the film as an Admiral.

I saw all four TNG movies at the theater on opening night. The audienced loved GEN being a TOS/TNG story and the cameo appearances in the subsequent movies.

My point is, you can work SG:A cameos into an SG-1 movie without it feeling forced. You don't want to have too many, though. The Star Trek movies proved that one or two cameos is plenty for the audience. We don't know details about the SG-1 movies, so it's hard to say how an SG:A character could make a cameo.

I just don't understand the negativity to such a simple idea? Two minutes of McKay won't kill the movie.

Comment

I think a cameo could work well in continuum (sp?). But as far as bringing McKay in to tackle the Ori in AoT, or Weir, I don't think there would really be a part for it. I mean, movies get cut down a lot, and a cameo appearance from an Atlantis cast member which doesn't bring the plot forward would be pretty far up on the list. It'd be good in Continuum though, as I said. They could use it to bring the story forward very effectively, IMHO.
            Godspeed, Don.

Comment

I think Carter asking Teyla how Atlantis is doing over the vid phone would be nice for "Continuum."
              sigpic
              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
              ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
                But as far as bringing McKay in to tackle the Ori in AoT, or Weir, I don't think there would really be a part for it.
                Who said anything about an Atlantis character fighting the Ori in The Ark of Truth? I said cameo not large role. That means we'd see a character on a view screen or at the SGC briefing table. A cameo, by very nature, means the character in question only appears in one scene.

Carter asking Teyla about Atlantis via viewscreen is kind'a pointless. It needs to relate to the plot. A good example would be Carter and Sheppard gating to Earth from Atlantis. Carter is briefed about the Ori crisis, so she opts to stay and sends Sheppard back to Atlantis, temporailly in charge until the Ori crisis is delt with. That would probably be the best cameo.

Keep in mind I don't expect lots of cameo. One would be plenty.

Comment

It would kind of be cool in TAOT if SG-1 had to return to Atlantis instead of the SGC from the Ori galaxy. Maybe it's closer or something. Would be a nice little cameo at the very end of the movie.
                  Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
                  http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Comment

I wouldn't mind a short little cameo from Sheppard. Something along the lines of what Daniel Jackson said except maybe it shows Shep and Carter on Altantis and she gets a comunication which makes her go back instead of both of the showing up and then Shep leaving.

Perfecto!

Comment

thank you!!!

THE MOVIES ARE ABOUT SG1 NOT SGA!!

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with a cameo involving characters from SGA, I suppose. As long as it wasn't just thrown in the movie out of nowhere.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I agree, the cameos shouldn't be added just for the sake of cameos. They need to fit into the plot. I like the idea of showing Carter with Atlantis and being recalled back to Earth. That would give a brief glimpse of Atlantis, the control room, and a cameo by Sheppard. It would be comparable to the Defiant cameo in Star Trek: First Contact.

Comment

Originally posted by SGA4ever View Post
                            THE MOVIES ARE ABOUT SG1 NOT SGA!!
                            I could say the same about SGA being about Atlantis and not SG1.

If Carter is coming to Atlantis, why not have an Atlantis-character in the movies. Fair trade, don't you think?
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I wouldn't mind a cameo in at least one Movie
                              sigpic
                              Spoiler:
                              President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                              President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                              Forum Charmer
                              Forum Ambassador
                              Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Working...
                              X