This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pro TPTB thread

I see alot of posts at the moment lashing out at The Powers That Be (aka the people who make Stargate). Recently I've heard them being called, Liers, fools, idiots, manipulative, horrid and worse.

You know what, I'm sick of it.
    They do their best to bring quality television to us and all they get is grief, is a little respect (heck even gratitude) too much to ask for the people who make the show. Even today, with the great news that fans convinced tptb to bring back Carson, there are those ho are spreading malicious rumors trying to paint the shows creators as manipulative villains

I know I'll be called a suck up for writing this but I don't care. Being a fan isn't about us versus them, these people work very hard to make the show but become the targets for vicious attacks. I'm not saing we should worship them blindly but atleast recognise that without their hard work there wouldn't even be a show to be a fan of.
    Even if there removing a character you love, you should atleast acknowledge that without TPTB the character would never have existed in the fist place
    sigpic

Dude thank you again for starting another bloody great thread. I'm fed up with the non-sense and drama too.

I've seen fans bash JM for Carson and the next minute shower him with praise and adoration for bringing Carson back. I'm tired of the crap I'm reading. As I said on JM"s blog someone said he should share in teh same hell as a child molester. I was like you sick little twit. I dont' care if it's an analogy it's used to offend.

The arrogance of some of the posters, like they could do better. If they could, they'd be out there writing the show, not whinging about on a forum. If you don't like the changes or like what's being done...that's fine and dandy. But if people need to add insulting and derogatory remarks about said TPTB and who they are or their ascendants and descendants----then just keep that to yourself. Or in a closed forum away from others...because making one's offensive personal attacks public isn't admirable.<--like me sitting on my banana---that's just gross !
    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

that's right you watch the show for the show and the evolution of the show.
      offcource they have done things that people like and don't like, but that is something you also can say of the networks airing these shows these days programming just sucks but we can't change that.

you can let know that you didn't or did like it but not go over and over it again and again.

i think that every single person on this board like to see things and dont like to see it but that is a show.

i don't agree with some of the roads they take i let it know and maybe one day it will be picked up or not but still i will watch the show becouse stargate also let you think about alot of things and that's just great.

Comment

Great thread. I whole-heartedly agree. They do what they think will be best for the show, to bring us as much entertainment for as long as possible.

And I find it hard to believe some people call the show 'poor' these days, even without seeing the 4th season. It is one of the few good sci fi shows left on TV, and when BSG goes (if it goes before Atlantis) it will be the only Sci Fi show left (I think) that actually involves SPACE.

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread! I read around this forum and it seems that people forget they're human beings, and instead just label them as TPTB. For crying out loud people, they make mistakes, they have their own thoughts, and like any group of people in charge of things, not everyone is going to agree with them. There is absolutely no need to chew them out about it.

I think each and everyone of those people who insult them needs to have a 1-to-1 talk with them; sometimes seeing them face-to-face tends to make someone realize that they are more than mere constructs of an entertainment conglomerate.
          Last edited by Major Tyler; 10 April 2007, 01:35 PM. Reason: removed vulgarity and insult

Comment

Excellent idea this! I'm also heartily sick of the people insulting the PTB's as well. These people are artists and business people trying to earn a living and doing a very entertaining job of it to my way of thinking.

We all have disapointments in our lives, but what defines us is how we respond to them. Do we show character and take them in stride with dignity? Or do we rage and insult and lash out to as many people as we can? Personally, I don't think so.

I love what the creators and writers of this show have been doing, they entertain me every week and they have my thanks!

Comment

Good thread. Another thing that annoys me is the way that it is not acceptable to criticise the actors but all of the writers and producers seem to be fair game.

Comment

Green for you, for what it's worth.

I love reading Joe's blog, and the fact that he answers question blows me away, in a good way.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Good thread. Another thing that annoys me is the way that it is not acceptable to criticise the actors but all of the writers and producers seem to be fair game.
                  Just to be fair...SkyDiver has been trying to enforce (for all the good it does her) the idea on this thread if not the forum to respect the writers. Needless to say, people choose to be blind and ignore her---then continue one in their rampant emo claims.

Although from what I can see, these sort of slights against the producers were common and although they're reigning it now; it's not having much affect. What really bugs me is that most of those people talking out of their arse as they do, definitely won't say that to the people in charge ---especially with the risk of coming across as a psycho.
                  Click statement above to read article.

Comment

The double standard on that front is astounding. In fact, only SOME of the actors are off limits, others may be insulted and impuned with careless abandon.

Comment

It is not acceptable. If you see it report it.

You can say a story idea by such and such a writer is a bad one (imho) but using the kinds of words that the original poster gave as an example is not allowed AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith View Post
                        I see alot of posts at the moment lashing out at The Powers That Be (aka the people who make Stargate). Recently I've heard them being called, Liers, fools, idiots, manipulative, horrid and worse.

You know what, I'm sick of it.
                        They do their best to bring quality television to us and all they get is grief, is a little respect (heck even gratitude) too much to ask for the people who make the show. Even today, with the great news that fans convinced tptb to bring back Carson, there are those ho are spreading malicious rumors trying to paint the shows creators as manipulative villains

I know I'll be called a suck up for writing this but I don't care. Being a fan isn't about us versus them, these people work very hard to make the show but become the targets for vicious attacks. I'm not saing we should worship them blindly but atleast recognise that without their hard work there wouldn't even be a show to be a fan of.
                        Even if there removing a character you love, you should atleast acknowledge that without TPTB the character would never have existed in the fist place
                        Steve I'd green you but can't. Great post and thread. I agree. They have done a great job the last 10 years and it kills me to no end to see how some are bashing TPTB as well as the actors. Again great thread.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by sanssong View Post
                          The double standard on that front is astounding. In fact, only SOME of the actors are off limits, others may be insulted and impuned with careless abandon.
                          I would argue that point (although this goes slightly OT). I dare say I don't think a single actor, or character, in either Stargate show has not had some fan, somewhere, make derisive comments about them. Some people seem to be, er, obsessed with hating a character, or even more rarely a character. You can criticize and actor or character as long as you do it in a civil manner. I must say that it's rare that actors interact with fans on boards; the blogs of David Hewlett and David Nykl seem to be quite nice places to visit (although no, haven't read every single post - too many). I think as a "TPTB," JM can incite more 'passionate' (cough cough) responses due to the manner in which he interacts with fans. Some find it refreshing or forthcoming, while others find it rude. Depends on perception.

Comment

Although I don't always agree with what TPTB do, I do always give thanks for them. Overall, they have given us, IMO, ten quality seasons of SG-1 and now three (going on four) seasons of SGA. They do the best they can. Whether you like what they do or decisions they make, they shouldn't be endlessly bashed.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                              As I said on JM"s blog someone said he should share in teh same hell as a child molester. I was like you sick little twit.
                              Why would you say that on JM's blog? I don't get it: if someone has been that nasty about Joe why would you tell him about it?

JMO, but if we're about being nice to PTBs, maybe repeating the nastiness isn't a terribly helpful place to start.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X