• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Stargate Directors

Sateda was:
    WRITTEN BY - Robert C. Cooper
    DIRECTED BY - Robert C. Cooper

I think that he should be writing and directing more episodes in SGA.

The fact that we got:
    Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, Andy Mikita, making epsiodes makes my stomach turn.
    Subspace Energy Technology Thread
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

You do know that out of the 3 stomach-turners you listed only Andy is a director, right? Just want to make sure.

Coop hasn't directed that many yet, but he's certainly skillful. My fav is Martin Wood though. I like his style.

Comment

So, to your mind, the quality of an episode rests solely with the director? You do realise that most of an episode's quality comes out of the script (by the writers, most of whom you just insulted in that last line) and by the actors themselves (who interpret the script and perform the roles described to the best of their ability). The director makes a lot of decisions, don't get me wrong, but they are not the beginning and end of making an episode of Stargate.

Tell you what, why don't you create a list of all the best episodes (and the corresponding director), and a list of all the worst episodes (again with the director listed), and we'll see if there's any kind of pattern. Personally, I think the writer makes a lot more difference to an episode than a director; if the story is full of plot holes and the "act 4 twist" is painfully obvious, there's only so much a director can do to overcome such issues.

And, by the way, most of these guys are far too busy to write and direct a single episode. While having a single creative vision bring an episode from typewriter to screen can be a good thing, most episodes benefit from having multiple people give creative feedback. And a good director can bring out ideas which even the original writer never thought of.

So, in the end, if you only like episodes directed by Rob Cooper... stick to those. But you'll be cutting yourself off from some great episodes which OTHER directors have created over the years.
      Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

The One who made the Siege Parts 1,2 and 3

Who was that?

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
          Sateda was:

The fact that we got:
          Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, Andy Mikita, making epsiodes makes my stomach turn.
          Wow...that's jaundiced and a bit twisted...

FTR - I didn't really think much of the visual style of Sateda...the Wachowski brothers did it better with the Matrix Trilogy.

My favourite directors are Martin Wood and Peter DeLuise
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Peter DeLuise for me, for so many reasons.

Comment

Especially those comedy cameos!

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
                Sateda was:

The fact that we got:
                Andy is the only director out of the bunch but they all have turned out quality epsiodes IMO.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                X