Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you need to be in a solar system to dial a gate?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just wondering cos in the last ep of season 3 of Atlantis Macay says
    Spoiler:
    when they are drifting through space at the end
    that the gate needs to be calibrated to a certain place but does that need to be a star? Cos otherwise you wouldn't have a point of origin..
    I dunno what to put in here now..

This throws up an interesting question.

In SG-1 we have always been led to believe that gates can just be taken to another set of coordinates and they will work automatically, which makes sense to me as when you dial the DHD just looks for a gate within those coordinates and connects to it.

When dialling out it was always believed that the PoO didn`t have a particularly vital purpose and so a gate being moved from one place to another could both dial other gates and receive wormholes straight away with no user setup required.

Having to align a gate to a particular location seems odd. The only explanation I can think of is that Pegasus gates are different to MW ones and, despite being a never version, have this major flaw that prevents them being moved from one set of coordinates to another.

As for your question: In the early seasons of SG-1 it was believed that the gate had to be on or near a planet (something to do with gravity) but Midway Station has thrown that theory completely out of the water as those gates are in the middle of the galactic void.

So my answer to your question would be no, they don`t have to be in a solar system to use a gate.

Comment

My answer would be no too!

As talyn2k1 said, in the early days of sg1 we were led to beleive that a gate had to be on or aronud a planet to work. If the gate was in a ship and left that planet it wouldn't work. IMO, the reason for this was that there was already a gate on the surface of the planet in question. The gate on the ship wasnt calibrated to any particular point so when it was in orbit it locked on to the gate on the planet and used its location as its own. This would mean that each gate would need to be calibrated to a different location if it was moved to a new location without an existing gate. Once that calebration was completed the gate could be used.

I guess what Im trying to say is that you can dial a gate from anywhere, as long as you can identify its location in relation to the rest of the gate network. All you have to do then is calebrate the gate and its ready to go. Anyway, thats just my theory!

PS: I hope that made sense, Im a little tired
      sigpic
      By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
        When dialling out it was always believed that the PoO didn`t have a particularly vital purpose and so a gate being moved from one place to another could both dial other gates and receive wormholes straight away with no user setup required.
        maybe the POO was more of a "THIS gate is the origin for the wormhole, not just this planet..

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
        Having to align a gate to a particular location seems odd. The only explanation I can think of is that Pegasus gates are different to MW ones and, despite being a never version, have this major flaw that prevents them being moved from one set of coordinates to another.
        Perhaps they did that as a safety feature, so the Wraith could not move the gates to planets that did NOT have them on...

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
          Spoiler:
          that the gate needs to be calibrated to a certain place but does that need to be a star? Cos otherwise you wouldn't have a point of origin..
          I think all this is due to mere protocols.

We've seen that with a bit of smart, Nerus was able to divide a flux from one gate and make it be duplicated and branch over a vast network, possibly the entire network of gates in the milky way.

It's not out of reach that one gate per system is a convenience which a proper reconfiguration could take care of.
          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

No, you just need the constellations. Ex: intergalactic gate bridge.
            sigpic

Comment

You don't need to be anywhere specific for the stargate to work, you can take it to any point in space and it won't cause any problems, because you'll end up needing to two things only.

If you take a gate and put it into the middle of nowhere, to dial in you'd need to figure out the co-ordinates that make up the first 6 symbols. To dial out using that gate, you'd just need to figure out the PoO.

SG1 very early showed us that they could calculate an address using an old address, but it took a week for out computers. 'The Pegasus Project' showed us they could generate an 8 symbol address within a very short amount of time to dial the Milky Way from Pegasus

Personally I think the whole lack of seventh symbol was just added for dramatic effect. I expect them to figure out the seventh symbol very quickly because they were able to do it for a location within Pegasus. They could probably do it with a command into the Atlantis computer or have a puddle jumper's auto generator do it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                Spoiler:
                The gate can be anywhere. For one thing, we've dialed from a gate near a black hole. The bridge is placed in the void of space.

All you need to do is calibrate the gate to a certain point in space. Why would this have to be a sun?

Also, the point of origin is that point in space to which the gate is calibrated!

Comment

which would prob b the gate original PoO because they are special on each gate and represent the planet they are on/near

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    Personally I think the whole lack of seventh symbol was just added for dramatic effect. I expect them to figure out the seventh symbol very quickly because they were able to do it for a location within Pegasus. They could probably do it with a command into the Atlantis computer or have a puddle jumper's auto generator do it.
                    They could do it in the other episodes because they knew where they were. Currently they have no idea what their coordinates are.

Comment

No. Every gate dial other gates to keep distance in 100 year (watch Avenger 2.0). If you know your current location in the galactic space coordinates (the 7th symbol will be different) than you can dial. So they have only 39 combination, because the dialed planet's location hasn't changed, so the first 6 symbol will be the same in the adress! You can dial for example the Genii from Atlantis or New Athosia, but only the last symbol will be different.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The problem Atlantis face is the fact that they have no clue where they are, the Hyperdrive automatically stopped after (presumably surging) which could have sent them anywhere along their flightpath. The only problem they have is that their exact location is unknown thus they cant dial out as the PoO needs to be the gates exact location.

No SG team have ever encountered a situation like this before as they have always known where they were when they wanted to use a gate (or the gate has known where it was). If the Atlantis expedition knew where they were it would be very easy and take seconds to set the PoO to their new location but they dont...

Comment

Yeah actually I completely forgot about the midway station.....
                          I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

i dont think it does have to be in a solar system. it has been mentioned that you can use the same point of origin because the gate accounts for the planetary shift of the location. as long as you have the location in space that should be fine
                            Thankyou SG-1 for 10 great years!
                            sigpic
                            sig made by kidwizz

join Stargate Atlantis: save the lost city and lets get our show back

Comment

I'm pretty sure the PoO is used to identify he GATE not the location. so each gate has its own PoO used to indentify it.
                              Join My forum (please??)

Comment

Working...
                              X