This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st reverse Engineer invention base on Atlantis tech

One of the main reason for the SGA Expedition was for the technologies.
    The other was to meet Ancient, but most living we meet in Pegasus are pretty useless.

And after we discover the Wraith and Asuran ,the new goal is to protect Earth and the human race from them.

But for the technologies , after 3 or 4 yr of exploring the Atlantis city
    Atlantis is important because it is a treasure Trove of ancient tech,the
    What would be Earth's first invention base on the the tech discover in Atlantis?Dr Beckett's retrovirus doesn't count beause he invented base on the organic sample of Wraith not tech from the Atlantis city.

The first Earth invention from the Stargate program was the Goa'uld buster bomb in Sg1 S2 's first episode, it is a 1000 megatons bomb probably base on the naqahdah bomb implanted in Cassandra chest.
    Goa'uld Buster bomb was powefull by Earth standard ,but useless against the shield of Apophis's mothership

The next signification invention was the X-301 in S4 ,that was almost useless

Then X-302 or F-302 in S6, it was useful

Consider it took Earth 10 yr to produce a Earth version of Engery weapon.

How long would it took to produce an invention base on the tech on Atlantis?What would it be ?

Well
    Spoiler:
    seeing as we now have all agsard knowledge and we have the city of atlantis i would presume we would rapidly be finding out and creating new things. Then again it is a tv show and it wouldnt be as good if we were extremely powerful pretty much nullifying the whole rising up against a more powerful enemy plot.

Comment

Having the info and USING or even understanding it are two different things. Do you think if we dropped off the formulas and construction info for making a trident missile to the folks in the middle ages, they could have made some??

Comment

Point is however
        Spoiler:
        we have extremely advanced technology and we will advance much faster than we would have if we were learning from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
          Well
          Spoiler:
          seeing as we now have all agsard knowledge and we have the city of atlantis i would presume we would rapidly be finding out and creating new things. Then again it is a tv show and it wouldnt be as good if we were extremely powerful pretty much nullifying the whole rising up against a more powerful enemy plot.
          Couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

Having the info and USING or even understanding it are two different things. Do you think if we dropped off the formulas and construction info for making a trident missile to the folks in the middle ages, they could have made some??
            but,
            Spoiler:
            the Asguard knowledge was written with instructions, and it has the holographic interface:
            Carter: how do we make yadayada?
            Thors hologram: fuse the thingamagic in the lala-chamber, then do this...

and so on, but the point is the Asguard database has instructions as it was designed to help us make the things they could, the Ancient database was for reference to the ancients, as they had a basic understanding of their technology
            Last edited by therealdb; 07 April 2007, 10:31 AM. Reason: wrong quote

Comment

My best bet is Ancient transporter "clauset," afterall it isn't that much different from rings..

Comment

Spoiler:
                I think the matter convertion technology we now have will help in creating some of these technology's
                sigpic
                Spoiler:
                President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                Forum Charmer
                Forum Ambassador
                Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Reverse engineering is a long term thing. If we take a cellular phone or a laptop back to the 1930s, they might understand its purpose and how to use it but they won't be able to manufacture a direct duplicate. The integrated circuitry board, the lcd screen, the software...

The gap between tauri technology and asguard technology is greater that that of between, the 1930s and the 21st century.

The scientists and the reseachers of the Atlantis Expedition might understand the science behind the technology of the Ancients. They most certainly can use it. But they can't manufacture it.

The technological gap between the Tauri and the pre-ascended ancients could be as great as that of early bronze-age settlements and the 21st century. If you bring back a firearm to the bronze age, early humans will undertsand it as a weapon and they can use it with equal proficiency as us. But they will preceive it as some kind of hollow metal tube that spits out small metal balls so fast that it kills. Their closet anology will be that of a sling-shot.

The Stargate programme has been going for nearly 11 years, but while we have made considerable improvements such as the X-302 and the X-303, we still depend on alien technology.

The Prometheus uses a hyperdrive from an alkesh and later an asguard hyperdrive.

All of our battlecruisers use hyperdrives and beaming technology and shields from the Asguard.

The transport rings were ancient technology.

At least the inertial damplers, the anti-gravity devices and the naquadarial power source are products we can manufacture on our own.

Comment

Originally posted by tauriprivatesoldier View Post
                    Reverse engineering is a long term thing. If we take a cellular phone or a laptop back to the 1930s, they might understand its purpose and how to use it but they won't be able to manufacture a direct duplicate. The integrated circuitry board, the lcd screen, the software...

The gap between tauri technology and asguard technology is greater that that of between, the 1930s and the 21st century.

The scientists and the reseachers of the Atlantis Expedition might understand the science behind the technology of the Ancients. They most certainly can use it. But they can't manufacture it.

The technological gap between the Tauri and the pre-ascended ancients could be as great as that of early bronze-age settlements and the 21st century. If you bring back a firearm to the bronze age, early humans will undertsand it as a weapon and they can use it with equal proficiency as us. But they will preceive it as some kind of hollow metal tube that spits out small metal balls so fast that it kills. Their closet anology will be that of a sling-shot.

The Stargate programme has been going for nearly 11 years, but while we have made considerable improvements such as the X-302 and the X-303, we still depend on alien technology.

The Prometheus uses a hyperdrive from an alkesh and later an asguard hyperdrive.

All of our battlecruisers use hyperdrives and beaming technology and shields from the Asguard.

At least the inertial damplers, the anti-gravity devices and the naquadarial power source are products we can manufacture on our own.
                    Now this Caveman - Modernman comparison really annoys me, because that IS NOT the thing. We got the potential understanding, lots of manufacturing technology at our disposal. All we need is time to work with the problems. We are NOT cavemen as much as you'd like to think that way.

More like appropriate rough comparison would be a logically thinking person, with only basic knowledge of websites and computers, starting to learn new html or php coding from scratch, without any assistance.

Comment

For me the an interesting storyline would be reverse engineering all or even part of an ancient device but then having to write appropriate software for it.

I'm not a computer programmer by any means, so here's a general question to you engineers/IT people... which is more difficult, inventing (or in this case reverse engineering) a device? OR writing the software for it?

Cheers

Comment

Nice summary. It's only logical that such a gap exists.
                        I'd go as far as to say that it is fortunate that this gap still exists.

Pandering to nerdy wanky science fans won't help Stargate in the slightest. It will only detract it further from its succesful formula. I alerady consider that beign able to directly connect laptops to lantian computers, and acess their codes, was so easy that it already broke the mystique. Now we're literally rewriting bits of code with a language that's largely more complex than ours.
                        Etc. Etc.

It contributes to the dumbing down of the ancients, and it doesn't help the show to have contemporary humans access to so much advanced tech.

Or what? Are the writers so impatient to reach Stargate Infinities level of tech or what?

See the science and power creep. They don't know when to stop, and that Odyssey final upgrade... my my.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Very true... In the beginning, it was 'wow, an ancient piece of tehc. How does it work.
                          Now it is almost like "h buy yet another piece of ancient tech... NEXT!"

Comment

If you bring back a firearm to the bronze age, early humans will undertsand it as a weapon and they can use it with equal proficiency as us. But they will preceive it as some kind of hollow metal tube that spits out small metal balls so fast that it kills. Their closet anology will be that of a sling-shot.
                            Uh that's pretty much what it is .
                            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I think the first thing we should be able to make is the Ancinet Defense Satelite because the people from TEGALUS were able to make an Ori Satelite and we have more technology and understanding of technology then they do. So I think it would be a weaker version but it would be our first reverse Engineer invention from Atlantis. So that makes the most sense to me
                              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                              A Face you Can Trust
                              sigpic
                              So whats the worst that could happen?
                              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Working...
                              X