X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Convention

Howdy all.

A few weeks ago I emailed Best of Both Worlds (the people who do the Australian conventions) and was told that they had no idea if they were going to do an Aust. con in 2005.

But this morning, Yay!!

I received the following email:

Hello there,

First of all 2 great pieces of news:

1) Michael & Lexa are the proud parents of a baby girl. Little Miss
    Shanks was born at the week-end , mother & daughter are both doing well.

2) Rick is being presented by the USA Airforce with an award this week.

Now, although the Stargate SG1 set is closed for the week, this morning we had a couple of calls from some of our friends, the result is that BOBW will do a Stargate SG1 convention in 2005, it may even become a Startgate SG1 / Atlantis event.

The line up is shaping up very nicely - I must say actually that it is very exiting, and I am really looking forward to it.

As soon as dates line up are locked in we will let you know,

Talk with you soon,

Adele

So thank you Adele Carr for that fabulous news!!

Hope they post dates soon - I'm going to be in Australia next year, and will try and time my visit to coincide if at all possible!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
      Hope they post dates soon - I'm going to be in Australia next year, and will try and time my visit to coincide if at all possible!
      Really? Me, too! BoBW does the BEST cons out of all the ones I've been to.

Dana Jeanne
      Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
        Funky!
        I have absolutely no idea where I'm gonna be next year...or at the end of this year to be honest.
        Finishing uni and trying to find gainful employment does that to you I guess . Anyway, once they do post the dates and we're able to organise accomodation etc. We should look into organising meet ups of the forum members.
        I'm so very excited. Even if I'm (Baal forbid) in the middle of nowhere working for some two bit operation - I'm gonna be there!!!! woot!!

Where are you going to be in Aust Gipsy?? I believe the con will be held in Canberra. And flights between Australian cities can be quite expensive at the wrong time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
          Really? Me, too! BoBW does the BEST cons out of all the ones I've been to.

Dana Jeanne
          wow it would be so cool to meet up there! I really hope I get to go. Do you know roughly what time of year they tend to hold these cons?

PS I've sent you a PM with some news! (You can access PMs by clicking on the link at the top of the screen.)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
            Funky!
            I have absolutely no idea where I'm gonna be next year...or at the end of this year to be honest.
            Finishing uni and trying to find gainful employment does that to you I guess . Anyway, once they do post the dates and we're able to organise accomodation etc. We should look into organising meet ups of the forum members.
            I'm so very excited. Even if I'm (Baal forbid) in the middle of nowhere working for some two bit operation - I'm gonna be there!!!! woot!!

Where are you going to be in Aust Gipsy?? I believe the con will be held in Canberra. And flights between Australian cities can be quite expensive at the wrong time of year.
            Oh poo! I am going to Brisbane and possibly Melbourne. But fingers crossed I have enough air miles then I may be able to afford a side trip to Canberra.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
              I believe the con will be held in Canberra. And flights between Australian cities can be quite expensive at the wrong time of year.
              That's wat Jetstar's for!!
              If they fly to Canberra? They should...

AND OMG AN AUSTRALIA CONVENTION! *DIES* THAT'S SO COOL! I HOPE THEY GET AMANDA TAPPING!!
              AND IF ITS ATLANTIS I HOPE THEY GET JOE FLANIGAN!
              *goes to email BOBW and make that suggestion*

Oh and damn Canberra...I got no accomodation there!
              Except distant relatives who might find me strange if I just appear on their doorstep asking to stay!

Oh well I'll find a way! YAAY!

Comment

Originally posted by Angel of Fire SG1
                That's wat Jetstar's for!!
                If they fly to Canberra? They should...

AND OMG AN AUSTRALIA CONVENTION! *DIES* THAT'S SO COOL! I HOPE THEY GET AMANDA TAPPING!!
                AND IF ITS ATLANTIS I HOPE THEY GET JOE FLANIGAN!
                *goes to email BOBW and make that suggestion*

Oh and damn Canberra...I got no accomodation there!
                Except distant relatives who might find me strange if I just appear on their doorstep asking to stay!

Oh well I'll find a way! YAAY!
                well, you would hope that jetstar is going to canberra by then.
                as for dates.... I'm kind of thinking along the lines of june julyish. but don't quote me on that.
                i'm half hoping it will be slightly later inthe year. it will mean that whereever i'm working im more likely to get time off, and also more time to save my pennies for those extra special bits and pieces that cons like to milk out of you.

also, if by some miracle of miracles I move to canberra (its on the cards) you guys can all stay at my joint!! That'd be all nice and cozy..

Comment

Just dragging this thread up to say WOOO for the Australian BOBW con!

It's being held 15-17 APRIL, 2005 at Rydges Lakeside Hotel in Canberra.

So far, Alexis Cruz and David Winning have been officially listed as guests, but I also remember reading somewhere (not sure where) that Torri Higginson will also be attending. All the info is up at www.bobw.com.au

Anyway, the real reason I'm pulling up this thread is to ask people what they think of the BOBW cons, those of you who have been before??

There is another con scheduled for 2005 - by FSF. Apparently their website (www.fsf.com.au) is down, coz I can't seem to access it. But they recently had Torri listed as a confirmed guest.

If anyone has been to FSF, how does it compare to BOBW? I probably can't go to both, so I want to make sure I pick the right one!

Comment

bump, there's a BOBW SG1 convention in Canberra, 11-13 November: http://www.bobw.com.au/BOBWs/26/index26.html

Comment

Originally posted by tayser
                      bump, there's a BOBW SG1 convention in Canberra, 11-13 November: http://www.bobw.com.au/BOBWs/26/index26.html
                      I know

I booked my tickets already

*bounces*

So any other Gateworlders joining me?

Comment

contemplating it... it's merely at the contemplation stage right now tho. I don't actually have a job to pay for either plane fare from NZ or the tickets, but it's on my list!
                        You know, I emailed the people running it to ask a question, and I'm still not sure I understand what you get as part of your ticket. First off - no cameras of any type allowed during the panels BOOOO! (says the camera fiend!), and then as best I can figure out for the price of $300 you get..... seats in the front 7 rows for the panels....

From their site:
                        Originally posted by http://www.bobw.com.au/BOBWs/26/index26.html
                        1) VIP passes – $300.00
                        Premium seating (rows 3-7 where applicable)
                        Opportunity to have photograph taken with a guest (NB: cost of photographs is extra, NOT included in the ticket price)
                        Opportunity for autographs (NB: cost of autographs is extra NOT included in the ticket price)
                        * Included in the cost of your ticket purchase *
                        Access to the Dealers room, Q & A Sessions, Autograph Session, photograph
                        Opportunity Session & Auctions.
                        Now, the way that reads to me is that for your money you get your seat for the panels (in which you can't take photos), and "access" to the autograph and photograph sessions, but not the actual autographs and photos....

Their email back did nothing to enlighten me, so if anyone understands what they mean I would love to hear!
                        Is it so expensive compared to the other cons I've attended (admittedly both Creation cons in North America - Chicago and Vancouver) because of the air fares for the guests? I'd love to go, but for that sort of money I can go to the Vancouver con next year and hang out with everyone again! (sorry BOBW )

Comment

I'm with you Kiwi... it seems to me rather pricey especially with all the caveats and addendums... I don't know what people in the North America pay for these dos but for $300, the attendees should be allowed to take some photos surely...
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Well I have to agree about the cost, it is rather prohibitive.

But for me it equals out since flying to Vancouver or something for another convention would add far too much to the cost, even if the convention itself is cheaper.

I imagine that paying for the actor's flights is a large contributer to the cost - not to mention the appearance fee each guest gets, and different guests will have different fees and this particular con has quite a number of guests compared to its other recent SG events. But I suspect that it's also due to the sad truth that SG events haven't gotten a lot of support in Australia in recent years.

I can think of two recent cons that have been cancelled due to lack of bookings.

There's probably a few reasons. For one, I think Australians are less fan-ish in general and less likely to pay money to meet an actor. Actors often say that they find it bizarre (in a good way) that they can walk around in Sydney or Brisbane or wherever and not be hassled for autographs etc.

Then there is the cost factor - it's kinda a vicious cycle. Fewer attendees means higher costs and higher costs means fewer attendees.

And then there is the fact that SG and Atlantis are aired at rediculous hours of the night, sometimes out of order and often with a year or more in between the first and second half of a season.

As far as the BOBW con is concerned, I've only heard good things about the 'vibe', particularly from past guests.

I've never gone myself though so I guess i'll find out...

Comment

so, the final conclusion is that the price does NOT include any autographs or photos?
                              Ah well, I don't have a job to pay for such a trip anyway I guess it'll stay on the "wish" list and if I have the money I might go. I'll have to see, I've found in the past I don't get much out of the autos's or photos anyway - I already have all of those, I don't need more, but if the con offers the chance to TALK with the guests, one on one, it might be higher up my priority list (above food but below roof-over-head )

Comment

Working...
                              X