Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc
    This is a terrific thread. Thank you Majorsal for starting this thread, and thanks to others for posting great comments, pictures and links to videos.

Sam is definitely my favorite character, and I really appreciate Amanda Tapping's portrayal of her. She is the main reason why I began watching the show, and why I continue to do so (as well as because of the great team interaction).

One of my favorite Sam moments is in Upgrades when she makes such an exquisite pool shot (I like the fact that AT actually did do this, twice!). I can't imagine anyone else but AT playing Sam.

Clearing the table... of the money too...
    How cool is that?
    Photos are screen captures from the episode 'Upgrades'

Comment

Sam is wiked!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcazmo The Clown
        I love Sam... I think she's an awesome character, played by a talented actress.
        I just hope that the addition of Ben Browder doesn't bump her back down to SG1's second in command. I like the idea of her as the leader and I want to see how it progresses throughout the future of the show.
        Originally posted by majorsal
        Oh, me too! We have yet to even touch what she's capable of doing as Sg1's leader. I want to see her handle a really difficult decision (ala Red Sky). And how would she handle Daniel going off on one of his 'act first, think later' situations? And Teal'c being in his 'Jaffa revenge' mood?
        SHOW Sam commanding Sg1! And I mean *really* show her. Show her struggle with a decision on her own. No Jack or another commander to get advice from; just Sam having to make the 'hard' decision on her own. Amanda would nail it!
        Originally posted by graculus
        I also like to see Sam exhibit her military competence - kicking butt, exhibiting her marksmanship skills, and being given the chance to be the Hand Signal Person In Charge.
        Originally posted by astrogeologist
        We need some scenes where AT shows competence in the field - kicking bad-guy butt... saving lives... and commanding in the field! Hopefully, the writers will give us some of that in Season 9. Women in the military need some strong, competent, yet personable portrayals on TV and in the movies.

Here's to the promise of a Season 9 with scenes showing Carter competently in command.
        FIELD WORK

Photos are screen captures from the episode 'Nemesis'

Comment

You have all made some really good comments. As for good "competent Sam" moments-- let's not forget how she matter-of-factly jumped out of the plane in Watergate. What a gal.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            By and large the writers have done pretty well by Sam. I think I heard some of that was due to AT's advice to the writers not to write her "as a girl" but as a team member. But I don't think a lesser actress would have gotten us so attached to Sam as a character. When I started watching I loved Jack's irreverence and the good stories. But Sam quickly became a favorite.
            You have all made some really good comments. As for good "competent Sam" moments-- let's not forget how she matter-of-factly jumped out of the plane in Watergate. What a gal.
            GERONIMO!

Photos are screen captures from the episode 'Watergate'

Comment

one of the great things about sam is also about amanda and is mentioned in a recent interview/article with michael green burg

i'll paraphrase it but he mentions how amanda can be someone else just with her looks. by that i mean, teh expressions on her face can be used to differentiate different characters.

take entity for example. her face is so cold and set and mean. with jolinar she's angry and calculating and, under it all, scared to death
              the look on sam's face in the end, when cassie comes, chokes me up every time

she doesn't necessarily need a wig or costume to make her 'twins' different....she can do it just with simple expressions and tone of voice.

that ain't easy. There are other actors who always play the same character, just with different names and wardrobes
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                I loved the bit where she spat out the yellow cube.

OK, I couldn't resist...

I LIKE THE YELLOW ONES

THOR: Would you like sustenance?
                SAM: (Thinks for a second) Yes! Thank you. I'm starving. (A tray appears)
                THOR: I like the yellow ones.
                SAM: (Talking a yellow one and biting it.) Oh, my God!
                (She gets a look of disgust on her face, and spits the bite out into her hand.) Sorry. (Tries to smile)

Photos are screen captures from the episode 'Small Victories'
                Transcript excerpt is from the Stargate SG-1 Transcripts Website

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  one of the great things about sam is also about amanda and is mentioned in a recent interview/article with michael green burg

i'll paraphrase it but he mentions how amanda can be someone else just with her looks. by that i mean, teh expressions on her face can be used to differentiate different characters.

take entity for example. her face is so cold and set and mean. with jolinar she's angry and calculating and, under it all, scared to death
                  the look on sam's face in the end, when cassie comes, chokes me up every time

she doesn't necessarily need a wig or costume to make her 'twins' different....she can do it just with simple expressions and tone of voice.

that ain't easy. There are other actors who always play the same character, just with different names and wardrobes
                  Originally posted by coley
                  Her expressions are priceless!
                  Originally posted by chopingal
                  AT can do more with a look, a tone, a gesture than any other actor. To borrow a phrase: she runs the gamut of emotion from A to Z
                  I thought Amanda was *wonderful* in Entity! My fave acting moment was in season 5's Entity. I felt her take on an alien life form was original and powerful. If I'm remembering this right, Amanda came up with the idea of how to perform her. How many times can you think of seeing an alien take over someone, but that person does not speak? All of the Entity's emotions showed through on it's face. That scene when Daniel and Jack are interrogating the Entity, and then Jack gets ticked and starts threatening the Entity... I was totally blow away with how wonderful Amanda pulled that part off. You could see her anger and frustration on her face, without one single word actually coming out of her mouth (and I'm not talking about the monotone voice of the voice synthesizer being used). You could see her facial muscles twitching, trying to hold back the rage it was not able to voice. This will always be my fave acting moment for Sam/Amanda.

Photos are screen captures from the episode 'Entity'

Last edited by astrogeologist; 13 January 2005, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Astrogeologist,

Thanks for all the great pictures. I really appreciate it--They are fantastic!!

Sam rocks!

Comment

I wonder if I'm opening up a cans of worms here, but I'll go with it anyway. Hey... It's what I do.

My justification for asking this is because most of the people who have posted here seem to be of like-minds. If this is too off-topic, let me know!

I hope the questions haven't been asked before on this thread...

So, two questions:

1) How do you think they're gonna handle Ben Browder's involvement? I was thinking... It seems like he and Sam are gonna be around the same age, and are gonna be the same rank. Obviously you can't have two Lieutenant Colonels on one team. And, if AT/Sam is gonna be missing for five eps, that allows time for BB's character to lead SG-1. So, when she comes back... What? Will they work together or will BB leave and lead another team? He's supposedly gonna have a large role in the show, but... It seems a little shaky.

2) Credits. I'm thinking (and hoping) that they do all-new opening credits. Because Jack/RDA are pretty much gone ( ), Sam/AT will be gone for five eps, and the show's getting all of this "new blood," it would make sense for them to show how the series is changing so drastically. Anyway, I was wondering what you guys thought the layout was gonna be. I'm just curious. Surely BB won't get top-billing right? No offense to the guy, but I just don't think you can come in during the ninth season and get to the top of the totem pole.

Just wondering... I love speculation, in case you didn't notice.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                        I wonder if I'm opening up a cans of worms here, but I'll go with it anyway. Hey... It's what I do. My justification for asking this is because most of the people who have posted here seem to be of like-minds. If this is too off-topic, let me know! I hope the questions haven't been asked before on this thread...

1) How do you think they're gonna handle Ben Browder's involvement? I was thinking... It seems like he and Sam are gonna be around the same age, and are gonna be the same rank. Obviously you can't have two Lieutenant Colonels on one team. And, if AT/Sam is gonna be missing for five eps, that allows time for BB's character to lead SG-1. So, when she comes back... What? Will they work together or will BB leave and lead another team? He's supposedly gonna have a large role in the show, but... It seems a little shaky.
                        Yes, this question has been mentioned on this thread several times. As the main premise of this thread is pro-Carter, most of the postings have stated that they want to see Carter in charge once AT returns....

If you are interested, the thread Sam Carter / AT - S9 was founded by folks who feel that Carter should definitely command SG-1 in Season 9 (and I wholeheartedly agree). The topic has also been discussed on several other threads.

In this thread 'Sam's a great character', the following specific posts discuss or mention the topic of Carter commanding in Season 9:
                        Post #125
                        Post #7
                        Post #14
                        Post #32
                        Post #33
                        Post #35
                        Post #39
                        Post #49
                        Post #61
                        Post #94
                        Post #136
                        Post #137
                        Post #138
                        Post #139
                        Post #140
                        And the topic is probably mentioned in other posts as well, those were just the ones that jumped out at me as I scanned through the list.
                        Last edited by astrogeologist; 13 January 2005, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                          Astrogeologist,

Thanks for all the great pictures. I really appreciate it--They are fantastic!!

Sam rocks!
                          Chocdoc -- you're welcome! I love photos and I get a kick out of picking out the shots that 'tell the scene' or 'capture the moment'

Comment

When I read the word jump, I thought you were going to say when she jumped/fell backwards through the stargate in the ep 2001. Now THAT is brave! Great moment (except for the way the guys barely reacted to it once she landed in the gateroom). I actually taped that end scene, because I thought it was so cool.

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              I wonder if I'm opening up a cans of worms here, but I'll go with it anyway. Hey... It's what I do.

My justification for asking this is because most of the people who have posted here seem to be of like-minds. If this is too off-topic, let me know!

I hope the questions haven't been asked before on this thread...

So, two questions:

I don't mind if he leads while Sam's away, but when she comes back, she should get her team back. I don't know what the writers have in mind for Sam next season, but she's earned commanding Sg1, so I don't want to see her lose it (even if the reason's her availability).

2) Credits. I'm thinking (and hoping) that they do all-new opening credits. Because Jack/RDA are pretty much gone ( ), Sam/AT will be gone for five eps, and the show's getting all of this "new blood," it would make sense for them to show how the series is changing so drastically. Anyway, I was wondering what you guys thought the layout was gonna be. I'm just curious. Surely BB won't get top-billing right? No offense to the guy, but I just don't think you can come in during the ninth season and get to the top of the totem pole.

My idea:

Amanda Tapping
                              Christopher Judge
                              Michael Shanks
                              Ben Browder
                              and Richard Dean Anderson

But if they don't get RDA to sign, then maybe they should only list him when/if he makes an appearance (as a guest star).

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

if RDA doesn't sign i think the credits will go either of these ways

Amanda Tapping
                                Christopher Judge
                                Ben Browder
                                And Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson

or they list Shanks first because Amanda isnt in the first 5 eps

Michael Shanks
                                Christopher Judge
                                Ben Browder
                                And Amanda Tapping as Lt Col Samantha Carter

And by the way i would be really angry if Browders character took command, especially after everything she's done to finally earn it.

Comment

Working...
                                X