Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    I am quoting the material below directly from an AT article found in Issue #2 of Stargate SG1 Official Magazine:

Actress Celebrates News of Pregnancy

Speaking exclusively to Stargate SG1 The Official Magazine, Tapping revealed how excited she was about the prospect of being a mother and her determination to slow down her hectic work pattern during the final months of her pregnancy.

"That's my hiatus," she laughed, "Just enjoying being pregnant, relaxing, working out, swimming and doing all the good things."

"My focus is shifting, obviously, and I'm due when we would start filming. I want to come back," she reassured fans. "If this show goes on, I want to be a part of it. But I don't know how it's going to work. It's going to be very interesting because [Stargate SG1] is such a huge time commitment and I couldn't do it with a newborn. But I would like to be involved in some capacity."

"The guys had babies, and they come into work two days later and it's, 'Hey, congratulations' - it's all good. Their bodies haven't gone through this massive change and they don't look any different," Tapping said, laughing again. "It's going to be interesting to see how the Stargate SG1 producers, having been through so many pregnancies on this show with the guys' partners, are going to deal with mine. It's going to be a whole different can of worms! They've been very supportive so far. They've been great."

My notes: Amanda's comments were given before S9 was firmly announced. I chose to italicize some of her remarks above that lead to speculation. It seems that she has, indeed, committed to 15/20 shows and will be bringing her baby to the set. According to other articles, Bridge Studios is very baby-friendly and, as some of you already mentioned, AT will have plenty of support in bringing up baby at the SGC! It takes a village ....
    Thanks for posting this so we could all read it ChopinGal!
    Originally posted by Astrogeologist
    Hmmmm... if Sam were a test pilot for the missing 5 episodes, then they could film cockpit scenes after AT gets back... the scenes wouldn't be rough-and-tumble-physically demanding... and we'd only see from the shoulders area up... it would be *cool* and do-able...
    Originally posted by Skydiver
    or sam could be in command of the alpha site and we see her via MALP....also just head and shoulders
    Maybe her personal and professional mission in the beginning of S9 will revolve around her being a test pilot for Homeworld Security and trying out some secret weapons and planes ....
    Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    omg, I was thinking the exact same thing Going TDY with that F-302 squadron at the Alpha Site
    Originally posted by deepspace
    *goes into a long daydream about Sam being a test pilot for Homeworld security.*
    There are just so many *cool* and wonderful possibilities for the storylines that they could come up with for Sam's absence during the first 5 shows due to AT's pregnancy -- I have my fingers (and toes) crossed that TPTB will do justice to her character with some good solid scifi! - and if it somehow involves flying... or being a test pilot... all the better! .

Keeper of the Flame
    Photos above are screen caps from the episode 1969
    Last edited by astrogeologist; 17 February 2005, 12:25 PM.

Comment

MajorSam: Yes, it's quite amusing because, although I'm president, I"m probably the youngest one here... *cough* I mean... (and so begins the slow leaking of the information on *big booming drums* real me!!! )
      Well, unless you’re 17 or younger, no, your not the youngest!

I don't know how to do spoiler tags, there seems to be no button or option, and I'm not an HTML whiz. So I am going to put this in white text, and if someone can tell me how to do spoilers, please help. And meanwhile, don't quote my post for any reason whatsoever! SPOILERS FOR RECKONING:
      Spoiler:
      Reckoning part one was on last night. Wow! I am happy because we got Reppie Sam back. And she is nasty, sooo nasty. I think in this episode Amanda acted the different personality of Replicarter to Sam Carter even better than in Gemini.
      I am getting a little tired of this Jaffa rebellion thing that goes wrong though (I’m assuming it’s going to go wrong, it always does).
      And I don’t know, but this episode it seemed like Jack was trying too hard to be funny. In past seasons his humour has seemed so much more natural and less… forced?
      I should probably be writing all this on a thread for the episode instead of here, as it’s a little OT, but in a way it’s these small niggling things about the other characters in this one that made me glad we got so much Sam this time. I was mildly dissapointed though when we were about to see Sam go shoot up some replicators on Thor’s ship, and then he just beamed her out.
      It was a great episode though. A whole week until next episode! Nooooooo. And it was a TBC too.

I agree with everyone that there have not been as many Sam torture scenes as the other characters, but I really liked Sam on the replicator ship with Fifth in New Order, I thought she did those torture scenes really well. I actually prefer Sam in episodes like Death Knell, where we see her surviving against all odds, because she’s tough. Like real military women, she should get the opportunity to be an equal to the gyus when it comes to torure/hardship/survival or whatever else, but I don’t see it happening, especially if it’s not in the end of Season 8, because I don’t see them doing serious ‘Sam whumpage’ in season 9.

The more I read of everyone’s comments, the more I want Sam to be working as a teast pilot in the beginning of season 9. If only it would happen…

I really want to write about the whole women writer episodes subject, but haven’t left myself time this morning. That was a great post ChopinGal!

I love the Cold Lazarus screencaps . *is sitting staring at screen with ridiculously happy expression on face*. Our Keeper of the Flame is invaluable to Samanda.
      Nice flames from 1969 too.

All the fanfic that people have been reading sounds good. I haven’t had the time to read much other than this thread though, so I’ve still only managed to read a couple of fics.

It is amazing to be here with all you guys. I can’t help but keep saying that, because it is so true. Thanks for accepting me as one of the gang.
      Last edited by deepspace; 18 February 2005, 12:10 PM.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I don't know how to do spoiler tags, there seems to be no button or option, and I'm not an HTML whiz. So I am going to put this in white text, and if someone can tell me how to do spoilers, please help.
        To put something in spoiler 'hiding'
        - type [/spoiler] at the end of whatever you want hidden.
        - and type [spoiler] at the beginning of your text
        I deliberately wrote these instructions with the ending tag first so that the HTML editor wouldn't follow the commands (which hides the tags)

And you are correct, deepspace, there isn't a 'spoiler tag' button in the GW editor mode.... errr, or at least I haven't found it... maybe some of our more experienced forum folks will give us instructions on how to find the spoiler button if it exists

Comment

Reckoning spoilers and comments ... see above post
          I haven't had a chance to see the episode yet, but I have read the transcript, and I agree with much of what you said! Chomping at the bit to say more, but will wait until after the episode airs in a few weeks and more folks have seen it.

I agree with everyone that there have not been as many Sam torture scenes as the other characters, but I really liked Sam on the replicator ship with Fifth in New Order, I thought she did those torture scenes really well. I actually prefer Sam in episodes like Death Knell, where we see her surviving against all odds, because she’s tough. Like real military women, she should get the opportunity to be an equal to the gyus when it comes to torure/hardship/survival or whatever else, but I don’t see it happening, especially if it’s not in the end of Season 8, because I don’t see them doing serious ‘Sam whumpage’ in season 9.
          I agree that Season 8 seemed like the window of opportunity to show the tougher side of our gal Sam... there was opportunity to see her leading and commanding and opportunity to see her perservere against physical trauma... but the writers went in other directions for much of Sam's screen time. I'm hoping that they use the wonderful opportunity of Season 9 to get us back to the Carter we saw in Foothold and other such great episodes. If they don't then I'm going to be mightily peeved at the squandering of opportunities from Season 8.

The more I read of everyone’s comments, the more I want Sam to be working as a test pilot in the beginning of season 9. If only it would happen…
          Here! Here! Put the woman in a jet... or an X-302!

I really want to write about the whole women writer episodes subject, but haven’t left myself time this morning. That was a great post ChopinGal!
          Same here... ChopinGal's post has me pondering...

I love the Cold Lazarus screencaps . *is sitting staring at screen with ridiculously happy expression on face*. Our Keeper of the Flame is invaluable to Samanda. Nice flames from 1969 too.
          Thanks deepspace!

It is amazing to be here with all you guys. I can’t help but keep saying that, because it is so true. Thanks for accepting me as one of the gang.
          We're glad you're here! Keep posting!

Here's some Blue Jello for your thoughtful comments

Comment

Hi eveyone,

Been laughing at the Court of Samandan posts. Every position seems to have been filled - apart from one however that I believe I am fully qualified to fill - that of....... Bean Counter!! What do you say eh?

As long as you realise that will mean just one tiny bottle of hair product per Court Member per year!!!!

I agree with all the positive postings for Sam whumping and for the same reasons - I'm a little bit tired of women being portrayed as weak when it comes to pain. Does any man out there know just how painful electrolysis is?!!! And we keep going back for more!!!!

Yes some positive stuff should be shown on facing up to and overcoming pain and injury. Our good old (sorry young) Pres' battles through the pain barrier on her practice manouvres as we have read - true grit! (Shame its a film - would be a good title for a Sam Whumpage fic)

Ahhhh great Sam Whumpage fic - "Overtime" by our very own Astrogeologist!
            A brilliant read

Right a number of us in the fab forties a few in the fantastic fifties, Deepspace in the tumultuous teens???? and I guess a couple in the terrific twenties - Hey a great mix united by one great lady!!!

ChopinGal - love your ditty - does it go with a mandolin??? Could be the Samandan Court Overture

MajorSam - Rep duly spread your way!!!!
            Last edited by Coley; 17 February 2005, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Been thinking on season 9

Wonder if Sam will be off on some mission somewhere for the first 5 eps (maybe this doesn't tie in with the personal business thing) and gets injured. This may mean she cannot rejoin SG1 until she gets the all clear from the Doc. May give an opportunity for Amanda to have a reduced input for the first half of the season and would leave it open for her to be brought back into the team late season 9 and ..... season 10 of course!!! And would let BB take the lead of SG1 without any controversy.

Comment

Astrogeologist - love your keeper of the flame pics - brill!!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  Seeing Sam's reaction to seeing her own image in the crystal reminds me of one of my all-time fave scifi movies - The Abyss. I sooooo wish that Amanda had been in that movie as the lead actress (and Rick as the male lead ). It was a perfect mix of scifi and love story. In fact, it was a great love story. Amanda would have nailed this role and would prob be a movie star now! But then we might not have her as Sam Carter, so...
                  Sally
                  Yes, wasn't that the one with Mastroiano actress in the lead - can't think of her first two names and am LOL considering that her last name is quite a handful and I seem to remember that better! I liked that movie too.

Wow - Sam and Jack in that movie would have been fun!

Ahh, the Abyss. What an awesome movie! I have a videotape of it, but keep thinking I should buy the DVD for the special effects. Why am I not surprised that our group likes a movie where the heroine has to die in order to survive?

CG, I looked it up and it's Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, and there's no way I could get that correct if it weren't right in front me. And I just noticed, it was produced by a woman, Gale Anne Hurd.

NC

Comment

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

Let it be known ... that henceforth the Lancashire Lass known as Coley shall be dutifully nominated as ...

Royal Accountant to the Samandan Court

All in favor, please cast your vote! You may do so by keyboard or bean. It is expected that you take care to purchase a sufficient supply of hair-care product before placing this vote as the Royal Ledger will be in very strict control.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                      I selflessly offer myself to you're "spreading" need!!!!
                      God, first the 'I give good dead' now this - we've definatly lost the PG rating

I have not determined the gender of this writer but a "Terry" Curtis Fox has written: Prisoners, Secrets in Seasons 1 and 2; Rules of Engagement in Seasons 3 and 4. For this discussion I am excluding this writer unless someone knows, for sure, if Terry is a he or she!

IMDB seems to indicate a bloke (its got a spouse listed by the name of Susan).

Katharyn Powers has written: Emancipation , Thor's Hammer, Enigma , Thor's Chariot, Family, Serpent's Song in Seasons 1 and 2, along with teleplays for Brief Candle and Fire and Water ; in Seasons 3 and 4, she writes Pretense and Crossroads; in Seasons 5 and 6, Smoke and Mirrors. Strangely, she really slacks off by the fourth season ... of course, we don't know why this happened. (I have my own theories, but will be on good behavior.)
                      I seem to remember on some behind the scenes footage or audio commentary, that Katharyn Powers wrote alot of their Mythology based episodes (apparently it's a hobby of hers).

Heather E. Ash comes onboard for Seasons 3 and 4 and writes: Foothold , Learning Curve , New Ground, and Beneath the Surface ; in Seasons 5 and 6, we only see one story attributed to her, but an important one, Rite of Passage.
                      Seems to me that Ash seemed to like exploring the Sam character. Wonder why she doesn't write for Stargate anymore?

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                      If you like fan fic, here's a link to a Sam story that I really like, called Night Terrors, which has Sam rescuing the guys and Sam whumping as well.

Night Terrors
                      Yeah a good read. Reminded me alot of the Sci-Fi movie 'Pitch Black', which also had a strong female lead

Comment

[QUOTE=Coley]Hi eveyone,

Been laughing at the Court of Samandan posts. Every position seems to have been filled - apart from one however that I believe I am fully qualified to fill - that of....... Bean Counter!! What do you say eh?{/QUOTE]

D'oh!

So I guess that leaves little old me as Samanda's only bean-paying citizen, then eh? I'm already feeling oppressed. Don't let me find out you rulers are dipping into the bean sauce or I'll raise such a stink....

Unfair! Unfair! Samanda needs more little people! Citizens of... er, um.... Citizen of Samanda, unite!

<tsk> Forget it; who ever heard of a revolt of one?

Guess I'll just have to be a revolting one, then....

I agree with all the positive postings for Sam whumping and for the same reasons - I'm a little bit tired of women being portrayed as weak when it comes to pain. Does any man out there know just how painful electrolysis is?!!! And we keep going back for more!!!!
                        ROTFL!

I don't remember who said this, maybe Mary Tyler Moore or Carol Burnett - probably Phylis Diller - (gawd, she was great!): "Men like to think they are so courageous. You want to know what courageous is? It's making an appointment with the gynecolegist - and keeping it!"

Phylis Diller also explained what childbirth feels like (AT, are you paying attention?): She said, "You simply have to firmly grasp your upper lip....

And pull it up over your forehead!"

Equal opportunity whumpage? <snort!> We ladies eat whumpage for breakfast.
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                          ROTFL!

I don't remember who said this, maybe Mary Tyler Moore or Carol Burnett - probably Phylis Diller - (gawd, she was great!): "Men like to think they are so courageous. You want to know what courageous is? It's making an appointment with the gynecolegist - and keeping it!"

Phylis Diller also explained what childbirth feels like (AT, are you paying attention?): She said, "You simply have to firmly grasp your upper lip....

And pull it up over your forehead!"

Equal opportunity whumpage? <snort!>
                          We ladies eat whumpage for breakfast.
                          TokraHostess! Almost everything in your post had me LOL!
                          Tried to rep you but it won't let me do it yet... so here's some well-deserved blue jello!

And to everyone who would like to read a *fantastic* epic Sam-whumping fanfic, I recommend TokraHostess'es "The Hidden One" - it's a wonderfully long fic and well-written. Lots of great Stargate scifi - and Gracie adds her own new ideas. Some great scifi geology of this other-wordly planet. There's Tokra (including Jacob), other SGC personnel, Goauld bad guys, a really old Goauld with god-like expectations, well-spun mythology and history... and serious Sam-whumping (don't say I didn't warn you!). Teal'c gets a great scene with a... hmmmm... better not spoil that.. There's a horizontal gate, with the planet creating unique problems. And, Gracie does a spectacular job of 'getting in the head' of someone who's been Goa'ulded... right down to the scifi neurophysiology! Oh, and did I say that Sam is featured? A lot!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                            And to everyone who would like to read a *fantastic* epic Sam-whumping fanfic, I recommend TokraHostess'es "The Hidden One" - it's a wonderfully long fic and well-written. Lots of great Stargate scifi - and Gracie adds her own new ideas. Some great scifi geology of this other-wordly planet. There's Tokra (including Jacob), other SGC personnel, Goauld bad guys, a really old Goauld with god-like expectations, well-spun mythology and history... and serious Sam-whumping (don't say I didn't warn you!). Teal'c gets a great scene with a... hmmmm... better not spoil that.. There's a horizontal gate, with the planet creating unique problems. And, Gracie does a spectacular job of 'getting in the head' of someone who's been Goa'ulded... right down to the scifi neurophysiology! Oh, and did I say that Sam is featured? A lot!
                            I drool over that fic. It was a great story, extremely well written - highly reccomended

Another Sam story I just finished up reading that I enjoyed was Mara Jade Jedi's 'Force' http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1602728/1/ . Sam as a Jedi, how could you go wrong! Actually I got my own Jedi Carter ideas....

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                              MajorSam - Rep duly spread your way!!!!
                              You are fast becoming my favourite subject

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

Let it be known ... that henceforth the Lancashire Lass known as Coley shall be dutifully nominated as ...

Royal Accountant to the Samandan Court

All in favor, please cast your vote! You may do so by keyboard or bean. It is expected that you take care to purchase a sufficient supply of hair-care product before placing this vote as the Royal Ledger will be in very strict control.
                              *chucks beans onto computer* Come on, INTO the computer... no! now they're all in my keyboard!!!

God, first the 'I give good dead' now this - we've definatly lost the PG rating
                              I'm sorry, it's in my nature. i say once again, what's the fun in PG!? Gotta spice it up a bit, get a little rhumba goin

I drool over that fic. It was a great story, extremely well written - highly reccomended

Another Sam story I just finished up reading that I enjoyed was Mara Jade Jedi's 'Force' http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1602728/1/ . Sam as a Jedi, how could you go wrong! Actually I got my own Jedi Carter ideas....
                              I've read that!!! It's CRAZY long...!!! I LOVED the beginning, when Sam is on her own... and the whole scars from the mines and stuf... loved it. It became very confusing after a while though, especially because i'm not fluent in Star Wars'ian but yes, Sam as a Jedi, you can't go wrong.

Good stuff with facing her "dark side" literally, lol.
                              The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                              |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Watching our Season 3 poll, I got to thinking about Point of View.
                                Here are a few scenes that stood out for me

--------
                                O'NEILL: Carter?
                                CARTER: Yes Sir?
                                O'NEILL: How are you doing with this. twin thing?
                                CARTER: Do you have a couple of hours?
                                O'NEILL: Okay.
                                CARTER: That was the answer.
                                O'NEILL: Oh, oh.
                                CARTER: Good night, Sir.
                                ------
                                I loved the scene in Sam's lab where the two Sam's are synergistically technobabbling while Jack's eyes bounce back and forth between them for a few minutes... and then he looks like his head is going to explode or some such...

Scene: Lab
                                SAMANTHA: Well this is incredible. If the Asgard could design this to give the Gate extra juice then they're just the little green men we're looking for.
                                O'NEILL: They're grey actually. Roswell Grey to be exact.
                                CARTER: I had a hard time trying to figure out how this worked the first time let alone make it work again.
                                SAMANTHA: If it's powered by the energy module of a staff weapon why doesn't it.
                                CARTER: Blow up? My best guess is the device creates a modulated dampening field around the liquified naqahdah cell.
                                SAMANTHA: Which controls the energy transfer to the capacitor. So maybe the modulation is thrown out of whack each time it's activated.
                                CARTER: That's exactly what I thought! But how do you even begin to recalibrate a field that you can't generate in the first place?
                                O'NEILL: Hey, hey, hey, hey! Are you Carters gonna be able to figure this out?
                                SAMANTHA/CARTER: We'll figure it out.
                                ---------
                                Also really liked the scene where the two Sam's bring in the 'fixed' Asgard device - I was impressed by the visual effects that allowed them to both be touching the device - our Carter was holding it while AU Samantha turned it on - very impressive seamless visual effects!

SAMANTHA: Colonel!
                                CARTER: We did it!
                                O'NEILL: Already?
                                SAMANTHA: Yeah, all we needed was the ratio decay rate of naqahdah relative to the energy output.
                                CARTER: Which I learned to calculate when I learned about our new naqahdah generator. It's just the ratio.
                                O'NEILL: Agh! It works, right?
                                Samantha flicks the switch and it glows green.
                                CARTER: It works.
                                Photos are screen caps from the episode Point of View
                                Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Comment

Working...
                                X