Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    OK...thanks for the info... and here I thought the morgue dead shot was disturbing... now I have 'head on backwards' images... the X-files - and just before bed too

hahaha, beautiful, isn't it??
    An award for playing dead... !
    I dunno, but I seem to have that in my head... I think TPTB should take advantage of this wonderful ability

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    I remember listening to an interview/commentary with AT where she said:

"I give good dead"

I actually misunderstood what she said and after laughing hysterically went back and listened again.
    HAHAHA, yeah, i've heard that as well, laughed my head off at that. I was like "yes Amanda, i'll bet you give good "dead" yup, sure, that's rite I have a sneaking suspicioun that's from the Vicki Gaberaeu interview she did aaages ago.... I know they talked about it in there. I'll check it out tomorrow afternoon (I have it on my computer, along with several other Amanda interviews)
    The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
    |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

"I give good dead"

I actually misunderstood what she said and after laughing hysterically went back and listened again.
      I thought it was great as written and was chuckling away when it hit me as to what you may have thought you heard...

Comment

I thought it was great as written and was chuckling away when it hit me as to what you may have thought you heard...
        Am I the only one sick-minded enough to have immedietaly thought of... the other, possible interpretation of what she said ???
        The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
        |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
          Am I the only one sick-minded enough to have immedietaly thought of... the other, possible interpretation of what she said ???
          no

Comment

[SIZE=5]

Let it also be known forthwith that myself, MajorSam, shall in addition be the Keeper of the O'Neillium, the great trove of sarcasm and wit that is a dear part of our universe, the place we call like to call "Stargate Sg-1'ia" Hey, i'm tired here, and not everything can have a name like "Samanda!"
            *clears throat*

canIbethekeeperofallthingsrdabecauseIreallydigthisguyandwanthimmorethanbreathing ?

Sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

MajorSal -- good snark! I'm there with you!

And just to make sure that everyone doesn't think that we're sick or some such - it's not about the actual torture, although that has to be there - what it's really about is showing how our heroes perservere in the face of extreme conditions - both physical and mental. Guys are often shown as strong heroes who perservere through extreme pain. Women...yeah, you said it, they get raped or such... they get extreme mental distress.

So, when they show a guy standing up even in the face of extreme physical pain and torture, it adds to the character's image. They are strong - both physically and mentally - they live through the physical pain while holding onto their mental 'center'.

So why wouldn't we want to show our female characters as strong enough to withstand the same as the guys? We do - we want to see them as able to hold on through the worst parts... and somehow come out on the other side... changed a bit perhaps, but not broken by the 'evil bad guys'.

I miss not being able to have some Sam scenes like Jack's in Abyss or Teal'c's such as you mentioned above. We do have scenes like the ones in New Order, but those were mental and we really couldn't tell what Fifth actually did... we all just have to assume it was horrible because it made Sam break down and plead with him to stop. And someone mentioned in an earlier post that one of the things that they liked about 'The Devil You Know' was that Sam got treated the same as the guys when it came to the administration of The Blood of Sokar.

So here's to equal opportunity whumpage... the chance for the women to show that they can handle what the guys do... let Amanda get mussed and dirty - she did great in Death Knell!
              You said it perfectly! Don't change/alter it because Sam's a woman. Don't hold back.

I really do understand the networks fear... my autistic/retarded brother is a very good example of violence against women. When he's watching a scene of two men fighting, he doesn't really react much. Might ask what's happening, but when it's a woman being knocked around and hurt... he gets upset. Maybe because with a woman, she's more apt to voice her feelings while this is going on (screaming, crying, etc)?

When I think of all the torture scenes we've seen over time with the guys, there's no reason why it couldn't have been with Sam - except for this taboo of showing women in situations like this. I've seen it done (Xena, and to the max), but it's rare in movies and tv.

There might be another aspect of this that's a possibility. If we'd have seen Sam tied up like Teal'c, hanging by her arms while she's being tortured by a pain stick... no matter how hard they'd try to not display this, it might have come off erotic. That's just one example of why the ptb might have been squeamish about showing hard torture with Sam, but it still feels like they're holding back 'just' because Sam's a woman. Are we ever going to see a rape-type situation with the guys? Nope. Society/entertainment industry has given us the guidelines of how far they'll go with men and women. I've seen the revearse with both, but it's few and far between.

Okay, I've written War and Peace and I'm babbling horribly.

I could have handled Sam being in Jack's place, just like from s6's Abyss. I wouldn't have been offended (unless they never harkened back to the tramatic event - done this with all the characters). I could have handled seeing Sam being tortured like Teal'c was (in more than one ep). I'm not asking for it, I just don't want special treatment given to the Sam character because she's a woman and ppl will collapse if anything but sexually-tinged things are done to her.

*must get off soapbox now*

Sorry gang.

Sally
              Last edited by majorsal; 16 February 2005, 09:53 PM. Reason: sunspots
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Well, you might hope, but as i've stated, I certainly don't!!! Well, actually, I hope as well.

I have much more... imaginative, ways of her "ending up"
                LOL... woman, you're scaring me!

Thanks for the warning about the pic, but the piccy was so big that I saw it before I saw the warning...

*tries to get image out of head*

I'm STILL recovering from the Sam death fics I've read over time. One I didn't even know she was dead until the end (cursed writer too).

You can kill her, majsam, but BRING HER BACK!

Sally

ps - btw, to make things easier on the whole majorsam/majorsal thinger, everyone can just call me mrs anderson. I mean sally!
                sally

sigpic

Comment

"I give good dead"

I remember that too. I love that woman's sick sense of humor.

(((Amanda)))

Sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

hahaha, beautiful, isn't it??

I dunno, but I seem to have that in my head... I think TPTB should take advantage of this wonderful ability

I think they should take advantage of Amanda's ability to use sign language. She learned it when she was the lead in Children of a Lesser God on stage.

Sally
                    Last edited by majorsal; 16 February 2005, 09:55 PM. Reason: you can't handle the truth!
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      I think they should take advantage of Amanda's ability to use sign language. She learned it when she was the lead in Children of a Lesser God.

Sally
                      She did abit of that in Entity didn't she?

Comment

... Amanda saying ... "I give good dead"

And now we finally know why!!!!

LOL I heard her say that too but MajorSam's photo kinda puts it all into perspective. Although ... she did play a prostitute in that show .... Let's say that AT has a wicked sense of humor!

Omigosh, where are we going with all this torture and sex?! We're drifting away from our PG rating!

Comment

You said it perfectly! Don't change/alter it because Sam's a woman. Don't hold back.

I really do understand the networks fear... my autistic/retarded brother is a very good example of violence against women. When he's watching a scene of two men fighting, he doesn't really react much. Might ask what's happening, but when it's a woman being knocked around and hurt... he gets upset. Maybe because with a woman, she's more apt to voice her feelings while this is going on (screaming, crying, etc)?

When I think of all the torture scenes we've seen over time with the guys, there's no reason why it couldn't have been with Sam - except for this taboo of showing women in situations like this. I've seen it done (Xena, and to the max), but it's rare in movies and tv.

There might be another aspect of this that's a possibility. If we'd have seen Sam tied up like Teal'c, hanging by her arms while she's being tortured by a pain stick... no matter how hard they'd try to not display this, it might have come off erotic. That's just one example of why the ptb might have been squeamish about showing hard torture with Sam, but it still feels like they're holding back 'just' because Sam's a woman. Are we ever going to see a rape-type situation with the guys? Nope. Society/entertainment industry has given us the guidelines of how far they'll go with men and women. I've seen the revearse with both, but it's few and far between.

Okay, I've written War and Peace and I'm babbling horribly.

I could have handled Sam being in Jack's place, just like from s6's Abyss. I wouldn't have been offended (unless they never harkened back to the tramatic event - done this with all the characters). I could have handled seeing Sam being tortured like Teal'c was (in more than one ep). I'm not asking for it, I just don't want special treatment given to the Sam character because she's a woman and ppl will collapse if anything but sexually-tinged things are done to her.

*must get off soapbox now*

Sorry gang.

Sally
                          Sally, you're not babbling and you and AstroG have made some good points about a topic we haven't really brought to the surface: Sam or female torture scenes. Why are the media comfortable in portraying a woman as a rape victim but rarely in other violent situations? I think showing a woman in severe pain does carry the danger of moving into the whole S&M territory and that eroticism, as you mentioned, may be the restraining factor. Not that sex doesn't sell (unfortunately) - so go figure!

I think a good writer and director would be able to realistically portray a woman in distress and it would be understood that women in combat and Sam as soldier would have scenes where they would be in physical danger. I think that's why we liked Death Knell so much - it was a side of Carter that had been missing. And she handled it so well. I often wondered, too, just how Baal and Sam would have played out in Abyss. From what you wrote, it sounds as if the writers knew it was too hot to handle and they didn't go there. I wish they would just take the risk sometimes. By surviving extreme physical punishment, the character grows stronger and more heroic.

And, of course, why are there so many fanfics that take Sam down that dark path of serious whumpage?! Hmmm - I'm even tempted myself. I like my female heroes to be gritty and gutsy and fall down sometimes and, certainly, rescue themselves - not always waiting for a man to come and save the day!

So, here's to the ladies
                          One and all
                          Let them fight
                          And let them fall

It may not be pretty
                          But beauty won't last
                          I'd rather see struggle
                          As a sign of true "class"

(the Jester is trying hard to be a Bard)

Comment

*clears throat*

canIbethekeeperofallthingsrdabecauseIreallydigthisguyandwanthimmorethanbreathing ?

Sally
                            Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

Let it henceforth be known that Madams President (aka MajorSam) and Vice President (aka MajorSal) have graciously accepted the additional duties and responsibilities of:

President/Keeper of the O'Neillium ... repository of sarcastic wit and humor

Vice President/Jack of All Trades ... constancy of affection and all things RDA exclusive of the O'Neillium

Comment

for whatever reasons, they tend to stick with emotional whumpage for the girls. maybe it's because females are more emotive and guys are more physical and maybe there's just some old fashioned gentlemanlyness that says that women shouldn't be treated this way

of course, maybe they're also aware that there's so much violence against women in the real world that no one wants to make a tv show that could be seen as encouraging that?
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

"equal opportunity whumpage" YES!

But, I grew up watching a lot of really crappy women as victim stories. You know the ones I mean - running away from bad guys, the "girl" trips and turns/sprains her ankle so that the hero has to bravely turn back into the face of danger just to rescue her. (it's a miracle that a whole generation of women don't trip over their own feet every time they go out - oh wait, some of us do )

Anyway, I love whumpage, if it's written well, meaning not a woman being victimized just so she can be rescued, but so that she can show her strength.

How about a story where Sam has to go back and rescue the guys who are in need of assistance. And maybe gets injured in the process, thus satisfying all of us whumping junkies.

If you like fan fic, here's a link to a Sam story that I really like, called Night Terrors, which has Sam rescuing the guys and Sam whumping as well.

Night Terrors

NC

Comment

Working...
                                X