Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hrh36
    Hi all:

Wow! Taking a day off from this thread is a mistake -- it takes hours to catch up.
    s
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r

s
    p
    a
    c
    e

I, too, think they're getting away from the Tok'ra storyline, so much as I'd like Sam to be a liaison, I doubt it.

OTOH, I really wish she would interact with Vala re: their former host capabilities with the hand device and healing device. Sam (and Earth!) could really benefit if she would develop these abilities! This is as bad as Leia's on-again, off-again Force training in the SW novels!

Re: Cooper saying Sam is off somewhere until certain things happen that bring her back. Wouldn't it be neat if Cameron messed up big time and Sam was actually asked back to lead SG-1? My jaw would probably drop to the floor 'cause the current writers have NOT shown their ability (or personal belief in IMO) to write the leadership abilities of women over men, but I can still dream, can't I?

And while I'm dreaming, I'll bring the Sam/Teal'c dynamic into it and pick Teal'c to be the first one to say that he wishes to again be under Lt. Col. Carter's leadership! Yep, I like it.

An aside - it frosts me every time I hear people saying that Sam doesn't really lead anybody 'cause Daniel and Teal'c aren't military. How come we never heard such a claim when Jack led the team? Was he only in charge of Sam for 7 years? I think not.

Anyhoo, thanks everyone for great (nonshippy for the most part) posts about what a great character Sam is regardless of who (if anyone) she ends up with.

hrh
    I agree with you ... I think the Tok'ra will be going the way of the Nox and the Tollan, etc. and there will be no development in S9.

So, what will be important enough to take Sam away from the SGC on a personal and professional mission? I'm just hoping that the assignment allows her to show the leadership and ingenuity that's been denied her the past two seasons ...

I like your idea of the commonality of Sam and Vala regarding their being prior hosts and potential use of Goa'uld devices. We've discussed that a bit here several pages back. At that time, I wasn't that open to Vala being written into the storylines for S9, but since that seems to be a done deal, I, too, would like to see the writers make valuable use of the two women's shared power with the devices.

What a great comeback for Sam: New guy messes things up bigtime and Teal'c welcomes his former CO with open arms! LOL and love it and, you're right, not a chance in Hades (with the mindset of TPTB). We've been talking a lot about the Sam/Teal'c dynamic that usually goes unnoticed ... scroll back several pages for that too.

I'm going to give some thought to my own version of what could work a little later ... RL intervenes.

There have been some great suggestions here so far - thanks, Astro, for raising the question!!

LOL about Jack as leader of a team for the past seven seasons ... so right on ... SG1 is a team comprised of both military and non-military personnel. So now that Sam's in charge ... what's the gripe? Nothing has changed.

Keep dreaming! And keep posting here in Samanda ... where women are respected
    Last edited by ChopinGal; 14 February 2005, 12:02 PM.

Comment

ChopinGal: Deep Space
      Keep searching! Find what gives you energy ... be passionate ... and be patient with yourself. I believe you're one of the young'uns on this thread ... some of us older gals have more to look back on than you ... how exciting that you are going forward! Jeez, that doesn't mean I've stalled out ... my engine just may be running a little slower.
      Hear, hear ... yes, keep Carter in the military! Lots of us agree.
      Carter is irreplaceable! Vala is a poor substitute. We'll let her have her fling with Daniel and Colonel CM ... but she's no threat to Sam.
      take care! CG
      Thankyou ChopinGal. Just…. Thankyou. I can’t think of anything else to say, but your post means a lot to me. I am very young, and not just in years, but in experience. A lot of people tell me that I act much younger than I am, which I suppose is a kinder way of saying I’m immature, which is true.
      But Sam will always give me hope for myself, along with many hours of fun watching her and SG1 on Stargate.

Now, when I enter the poll thread it says “You may not vote on this poll”. Why? I haven’t voted yet!
      So I am going to write about the eps I would have voted for if it had allowed me to.
      And yes, I realise that I am probably picking the most obvious episodes, but this does not mean I don’t like Sam moments in some of the other eps.

I am purposefully not voting for Point of View. I have nothing against the episode, I just don’t think it is so much of a Sam episode as a Dr.Carter episode. Sure, there are some good Sam moments in it, but I think there are better Sam episodes for season three.

Jolinar’s memories & The Devil you know.
      I was really pleased when they did this set of episodes. It really explored how much Jolinar had left with Sam. I can’t think of a lot to say about these though. They were just overall amazing episodes all about Sam.

But, first and foremost: Foothold
      I actually was expecting myself to rank the Jolinar episodes higher than this one, but I changed my mind just now, and have to say this is my number one favourite Sam episode for season three. It’s maybe not my favourite Stargate episode for season three, but definitely my favourite Sam one. Sam really gets to save the world in this one. And she is so good in tough situations, like shooting the Jack lookalike alien, and numerous other scenes (will have to go watch this one again soon, can’t remember the details!) Though her conversation on the surface with Maybourne, that was so good that it even beats the kick-ass Sam moments! I wish I could remember it better to be able to write more about it!

Well, it didn’t take me so long to catch up here today, as so much was in spoiler boxes! I will have a lot of spoiler discussion reading in another week or so after I’ve seen Reckoning and Threads. Sometimes I wish I would just let myself read the spoilers!

edited to add: I love Astrogeologist and MajorSam's new sig lines. I particularly like the picture of Sam in the flight jumpsuit thing (whatever it is really called), I think that is probably my favourite piece of clothing on her so far! And so many quirky pics of Amanda!
      Also, thankyou for all the rep everyone. How much am I allowed to give before I run out or whatever?
      Last edited by deepspace; 14 February 2005, 12:21 PM. Reason: to add extra comments

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I got the poll to work for me (*is very happy *), so my three votes are:
        Foothold
        Jolinar's memories
        The Devil you know

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
          I got the poll to work for me (*is very happy *), so my three votes are:
          Foothold
          Jolinar's memories
          The Devil you know
          Great choices deepspace - those were basically the same as mine! There were so many great Sam scenes and episodes to choose from in season 3, but I ultimately chose:

Foothold for screen caps click here the best ever Carter episode for:
          >>showing competent, take-charge, kick-ass Carter
          >>We get to see some of Jolinar’s legacy as the sedatives don’t work effectively on her (they wear off too quickly for the aliens’ purposes).
          >> She stands up to Maybourne: “Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week! Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!” One of the absolute best Sam lines in the entire series (and it was an adlib!).
          >> The human, vulnerable side who relents and let’s the ‘guys’ convince her that she’s hallucinating from the fumes of a chemical spill.
          >> Strong under pressure – when she shoots the alien masquerading as Jack without hesitation and then stands firm in the aftermath.
          >> We get to see her intelligence and ingenuity as she devises a techie solution for jamming the aliens’ image devices

Teal'c is lying on a bed and starts to wake up. He looks around to see Sam on a bed next to him.
          Fraiser ‘alien’: It must have something to do with the alien symbiote inside him. It took an extremely large dose just to sedate him in the first place.
          Hammond ‘alien’: What is the problem with the human?
          Fraiser ‘alien’: Her body chemistry has been altered. It is related to her prior infestation by the dominant parasitical species in this galaxy.
          Hammond ‘alien’: Is there a way to compensate?
          Fraiser 'alien': I have not found it yet.
          Hammond ‘alien’: Place them in a holding cell. Once the invasion is complete, you may study them further. Only then will we know if this is a viable new homeworld.

My second choice was Jolinar’s Memories/The Devil You Know – because we get to see some of the impact and ramifications of Jolinar’s possession of Sam (In The Line of Duty). I vividly remember the scene in the teltak where Sam relives Jolinar’s torture at the hands of Sokar – AT was fantastic in those scenes. Also love the whole storyline that incorporated her father, Jacob.

My third choice was Nemesis – for showing Carter’s competence in the field. She worked technical solutions, dealt with Asgard technology, dealt with Thor, and helped keep the Replicators at bay with Jack and Teal’c as their ship fell into the atmosphere. Also loved the part where she and Teal’c transport up - in spite of Jack’s express orders that no one else come along on his suicide mission. Love the message that the team always comes to help each other. A few screencaps from Nemesis.
          Last edited by astrogeologist; 14 February 2005, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
            I particularly like the picture of Sam in the flight jumpsuit thing (whatever it is really called), I think that is probably my favourite piece of clothing on her so far!
            Haha, so I'm not the only one!

From reading the various posts here, I'm under the impression that most of the residents of Samanda are older* women (not that theres anything wrong with that). It's great that the Carter character gets great feedback from you guys but I'm curious to know what the reasons are from the blokes. I think I read somewhere back that someone thought that alot of Sam bashing came from guys too.
            Of course I could be completly wrong about that (the Internet is wonderful in its anonymity), so ignore me if I'm wrong

I see Sam not as a role model for women in the military (thought I can understand why she is) but simply as somebody who excells at what they do. The fact that shes a woman has nothing to do with why I like her character, rather that she knows how to get the job done. My personal opinion is that they've been pushing the 'Sam's a woman :O' card a little too much lately, which is taking her away from what I like about her - Scientist, soldier and pilot Sam.

*By older I mean anyone older than me - 20.

Originally posted by MajorSam
            And don't you worry my dear, Sam Carter suicide, that'll come. Maybe not in this fic, but in one of 'em!
            :O :O :O!!!
            Oh and that sig of yours is slightly disturbing

Comment

An aside - it frosts me every time I hear people saying that Sam doesn't really lead anybody 'cause Daniel and Teal'c aren't military. How come we never heard such a claim when Jack led the team? Was he only in charge of Sam for 7 years? I think not.
              Yeah. That's a good point. I think part of that has been perpetuated by AT, though. In early season eight interviews, she said that the three of them have their own... specialties... so Sam wouldn't be bossing everyone around all the time. Or something like that... I can't find the link right now, but she did seem to be downplaying that aspect of Sam's Colonel-ness...

To be honest, I interpreted that as AT trying to explain that she considers Sam to be an equal of Teal'c and Daniel's. While I agree that Sam should be the leader just like Jack was, I think people do receive a female leader differently... Not to get into that topic again, sorry guys!

It's kinda like what TH said at the beginning of Atlantis this season. She pretty much said that it's difficult for a woman to be forceful without coming off as a... wench... In this case, I can understand why AT would be weary of people interpreting her promotion as an opening for wench-dom... Especially considering how we fans can be anyway...

Long story short, I think Sam's got Daniel and Teal'c's respect, so it'll never be a question of her authority. However, I think Sam is a bit more patient than Jack , and will defer/cater to Daniel a bit more than perhaps Jack used to.

Ooh, I just remembered a cute team moment. It was at the beginning of this season, during "Zero Hour," when Sam had just taken command of SG-1. Jack wouldn't let them go out right away without backup from one of the other SG teams.

Afterwards, Teal'c and Daniel went to Sam's lab, and Daniel's like, "Hey you wanna get some lunch?"

Sam: "No, I'm fine."
              Daniel: "You just gonna sit in here all day and -"
              Sam: "I'm NOT sulking."
              Daniel: "Working! Was gonna say, 'working...'"
              TEAL'C: O’Neill merely believes that ...
              CARTER: Guys, I’m fine.
              DANIEL: You can hardly blame him for wanting to send in back-up. I’m sure it has nothing to do with you ...
              CARTER: I understand. He’s just being cautious.
              (There's a moment where Daniel and Teal'c just stand there smiling.)
              CARTER: Thanks guys.

Sorry, I'm a sucker for humble people.
              Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 14 February 2005, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                Haha, so I'm not the only one!

From reading the various posts here, I'm under the impression that most of the residents of Samanda are older* women (not that theres anything wrong with that). It's great that the Carter character gets great feedback from you guys but I'm curious to know what the reasons are from the blokes. I think I read somewhere back that someone thought that alot of Sam bashing came from guys too.
                Of course I could be completly wrong about that (the Internet is wonderful in its anonymity), so ignore me if I'm wrong

I see Sam not as a role model for women in the military (thought I can understand why she is) but simply as somebody who excells at what they do. The fact that shes a woman has nothing to do with why I like her character, rather that she knows how to get the job done. My personal opinion is that they've been pushing the 'Sam's a woman :O' card a little too much lately, which is taking her away from what I like about her - Scientist, soldier and pilot Sam.

*By older I mean anyone older than me - 20.

:O :O :O!!!
                Oh and that sig of yours is slightly disturbing
                Lol, we've had talks about ages before, and although it may seem you're the youngest by far, you're not!!!

I agree with that I love Sam not only because she's a woman but because she's so good in everything she does. I just respect her more, because for a woman, especially in the military, and science, it's harder. I'm glad that they've been addressing all her "womanly" issues, lately. They've got issues with everyone else, and i'm glad they picked Sam's real life for her, because there's not really anything else. Daniel has Sha're and everything, Teal'c has his family, Jack has his 'dark past" and Abyss and everything, and now we're seeing Sam's emotional side, and how she deals with everything.

If they ignored her feminine side It'd be too much, too me, like she's all military woman hard a$$ type thing... well, depends if your'e talking about now, or how they've portrayed her feminity throughout the years. I like ALL sides of her, so Im' glad they're embracing this one, although I also will always love soldier scientist and pilot.

Haha, I love how everyone here goes when I bring up the thought of killing Sam in a fic... again, if you're gonna read my fics, get used to it! haha.

How is my sig disturbing? lol
                The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Weighing in on my choices for favorite season 3 Sam episodes, I picked Foothold, Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know, and Deadman's switch.

Deadman's Switch isn't a particulary Sam-heavy episode, but I like the episode, and like Sam's interaction with Aris Boch. She's very persuasive with him and not by blinding him with science, her usual technique. I like the Aris Boch character and I can't help comparing him to Vala. Both of them are kind of friendly enemies, and if Vala turns out to be a little more Boch-like, I'll probably enjoy the first part of next season.

Like some of you, I chose to view Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know as one episode, and chose it for the same reasons you've given.

Foothold(written by a woman, BTW) would be my first choice and astrog, you've mentioned a lot of the great Sam moments, but I'd add one more, the scene at the end, when Maybourne gives Sam credit. That smile!

The Illustrated Companion for Seasons 3 and 4 has the following comments from Amanda about the episode

...Tapping was extremely taken with the episode for many reasons, not least because it gave her "the chance to be able to show that dichotomy of not trusting. Carter -who follows military rules and does everything the way she's supposed to -suddenly turns her back on everything saying, 'Nah! I don't trust you guys."' The actress has particularly fond memories of the scene in the cafe: "I came up with that line -the 'Maybourne, you're an idiot every day of the week. Why couldn't you have taken one day off?' line." Thrilled she yells, "That was me! I was looking at one of the fan websites which talks about favourite SG-l lines and there it was, right up there." Doing a fair impression of Homer Simpson she whoops, "When I saw that, it was like one of those 'Woohoo' moments." ...

NC

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                    Yeah. That's a good point. I think part of that has been perpetuated by AT, though. In early season eight interviews, she said that the three of them have their own... specialties... so Sam wouldn't be bossing everyone around all the time. Or something like that... I can't find the link right now, but she did seem to be downplaying that aspect of Sam's Colonel-ness...

To be honest, I interpreted that as AT trying to explain that she considers Sam to be an equal of Teal'c and Daniel's. While I agree that Sam should be the leader just like Jack was, I think people do receive a female leader differently... Not to get into that topic again, sorry guys!

It's kinda like what TH said at the beginning of Atlantis this season. She pretty much said that it's difficult for a woman to be forceful without coming off as a... wench... In this case, I can understand why AT would be weary of people interpreting her promotion as an opening for wench-dom... Especially considering how we fans can be anyway...
                    I remember reading those comments of AT's as well. At the time, I thought, that makes sense, they're a team and have worked together long enough that each one knows what their responsibility is. And if situations arose when command decisions had to be made, Sam would make them as team leader. Of course, we've had very few opportunities to see the 3 of them going on missions together this season, so it hasn't really come up, has it?

I think that women tend to have a different management style, as well. I think we to try to be more persuasive, rather than demanding. If we give orders too forcefully, we're afraid we'll be seen as bossy. Of course, in the military, giving orders is the norm, so trying to convince someone to do something rather than ordering them to do it, would probably be seen as weak. So do they have a class in officer training school on How to Give Orders and Influence People (and still feel good about yourself)?

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                      So do they have a class in officer training school on How to Give Orders and Influence People (and still feel good about yourself)?
                      NC
                      Yup! It's called "Leadership classes" lol. That includes everything like Public Speaking, to you're responsabilities as a leader of whatever rank...as well as actually doing leadership taskings and such, being evaluated, doing tons of camps and training exercises etc. And then there's drilling of rank structure and stuff to the lower ranks, how to properly follow orders, going through training, eventually going up to leadership themselves...

If there's any "Still feel good" problems, there's special programs and such for military officers.
                      The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                      |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Weighing in on my choices for favorite season 3 Sam episodes, I picked Foothold, Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know, and Deadman's switch.

Deadman's Switch isn't a particulary Sam-heavy episode, but I like the episode, and like Sam's interaction with Aris Boch. She's very persuasive with him and not by blinding him with science, her usual technique. I like the Aris Boch character and I can't help comparing him to Vala. Both of them are kind of friendly enemies, and if Vala turns out to be a little more Boch-like, I'll probably enjoy the first part of next season.
                        Great comments about that epi, NC!

Foothold(written by a woman, BTW) would be my first choice and astrog, you've mentioned a lot of the great Sam moments, but I'd add one more, the scene at the end, when Maybourne gives Sam credit. That smile!

The Illustrated Companion for Seasons 3 and 4 has the following comments from Amanda about the episode

...Tapping was extremely taken with the episode for many reasons, not least because it gave her "the chance to be able to show that dichotomy of not trusting. Carter -who follows military rules and does everything the way she's supposed to -suddenly turns her back on everything saying, 'Nah! I don't trust you guys."' The actress has particularly fond memories of the scene in the cafe: "I came up with that line -the 'Maybourne, you're an idiot every day of the week. Why couldn't you have taken one day off?' line." Thrilled she yells, "That was me! I was looking at one of the fan websites which talks about favourite SG-l lines and there it was, right up there." Doing a fair impression of Homer Simpson she whoops, "When I saw that, it was like one of those 'Woohoo' moments." ...

NC
                        Wow - great quotes! And Foothold was written by a woman... and Foothold was a great episode for Carter...hmmm... I think ChopinGal is right... and so are the rest of you who've pointed to the writing staff's lack of a female writer over the past few years...

Thanks for sharing AT's thoughts on Carter's role in Foothold! AT is fantastic and her performance in Foothold was great!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                          Ooh, I just remembered a cute team moment. It was at the beginning of this season, during "Zero Hour," when Sam had just taken command of SG-1. Jack wouldn't let them go out right away without backup from one of the other SG teams.

Afterwards, Teal'c and Daniel went to Sam's lab, and Daniel's like, "Hey you wanna get some lunch?"

Sam: "No, I'm fine."
                          Daniel: "You just gonna sit in here all day and -"
                          Sam: "I'm NOT sulking."
                          Daniel: "Working! Was gonna say, 'working...'"
                          TEAL'C: O’Neill merely believes that ...
                          CARTER: Guys, I’m fine.
                          DANIEL: You can hardly blame him for wanting to send in back-up. I’m sure it has nothing to do with you ...
                          CARTER: I understand. He’s just being cautious.
                          (There's a moment where Daniel and Teal'c just stand there smiling.)
                          CARTER: Thanks guys.

Sorry, I'm a sucker for humble people.
                          Dancer -- great transcript quote! Loved that scene!
                          "I'm NOT sulking!"
                          Just makes me smile! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            What a great photo! So natural ....

See? This is my theory ... it all comes back to mothering! Her mom raised her right. Her values are in place. She is just a very genuine, down-to-earth person. How refreshing that she can stay that way as her career grows and she becomes better known. Even though she's been blessed with exceptional beauty, I don't think she even realizes that. What's inside is what's important to Amanda and that's why she seems to have the gift of making everyone feel at ease with her when they do meet. (Not that I know this first-hand but some of you do!)

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree (Oops! forgive the O'Neill cliche!) ... Amanda is going to make one amazing momma herself.
                            You've said it well. I too love this natural shot.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              But then I live in Samanda, not Dannyland. Not that I don't like the character but it does seem like there are two camps out there which refuse to let both characters be enjoyed. I think AT and MS work well together ... [/I]
                              Yes, can you say *team* anyone?

Comment

Re: Cooper saying Sam is off somewhere until certain things happen that bring her back. Wouldn't it be neat if Cameron messed up big time and Sam was actually asked back to lead SG-1? My jaw would probably drop to the floor 'cause the current writers have NOT shown their ability (or personal belief in IMO) to write the leadership abilities of women over men, but I can still dream, can't I?

And while I'm dreaming, I'll bring the Sam/Teal'c dynamic into it and pick Teal'c to be the first one to say that he wishes to again be under Lt. Col. Carter's leadership! Yep, I like it.
                                Great ideas! "We need you back, Col. Carter."

Comment

Working...
                                X