Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    ChopinGal - Idioms are alive and kicking - this one's for you - and a bit of fun!!
    Idioms part one:-

Everyone has pulled out all the stops and you're leaving no stone unturned in coming up with great Sam moments. Thanks to everyone who has thrown their hat into the ring regarding this. I'm certainly enjoying myself remembering all those great moments.

I've got to say it - this thread beats all others hands down - everyone is so positive! It is evident we have all been bitten by the same bug and think Sam knocks the spots off all other Sci Fi women.
    It's not possible to sum her up in a nutshell. She had far too many facets to be able to do that without selling her short.
    It's fair to say there are no flies on our Sam. She's a lady on the level - though it has to be said she sometimes plays it fast and lose with technology, but by and large she's head and shoulders above anyone at the SGC. Despite her superior intellect she's graceful and sensitive enough not to ride roughshod over anyone else's theories - she just patiently explains their shortcomings - apart from MacKay that is, to whom she usually gives short shrift - but lets face it Sam can often drive a coach and horses through his suggestions!
    She has abundant patience with O'Neill to whom all science is just mumbo-jumbo!She's always right as nine pence and bright as a button.
    She never has an axe to grind with anyone, but certainly sees red when dealing with NID rogues!

As sure as eggs is eggs you can bank on Sam when the red balloons go up. She is unflappable - even when things are hanging by a thread. There's no stopping her once she gets the bit between her teeth and by hook or by crook she'll solve the problem. She's willing to carry the can if things go wrong (Avenger 2.0) - but certainly pulls out all the stops to make amends. Even when things go down to the wire she never loses her nerve and always seems to save the day in the end.

Season 7 proved she's a bit of a dark horse and she's been hiding her light under a bushel. You've got to admit she was dressed to kill in Chimera in her bib and tucker - Pete was certainly in the bag. Now I'm no dyed in the wool shipper - but I certainly hoped that Pete would turn out to be a flash in the pan. Now I hear she has fallen for him hook line and sinker and it looks like they will be tying the knot. I bet all shippers out there are sorry that at the end of Chimera curiosity didn't kill the cat!!

Back to fave Sam moments - they will have to follow. You usually start this sort of task by trying to separate the wheat from the chaff first. Well I've gone through the process and Sam moments seem to be virtually all wheat and no chaff - which leaves me back at square 1!!

Congratulations on Amanda's nomination - You bring home the bacon girl!! Though I too wonder why she was supporting actress???!!!

Right I'm flat out of relevant off the cuff idioms and part 2 is off topic from this one! Must go and stoke the fire - it's brass monkeys outside!!
    Originally posted by Coley
    Hey Astrogeologist!

Wow! Blue Jello!! Jumping up and down - with pooch joining in!
    Many thanks - and for the comments on the idioms!!

Red Balloons - I think you can leave the red out, but I never do. A sign of impending trouble!
    In WW1 observation balloons would be sent into the sky at the first suspicion of an enemy attack.
    In WW2 strong barrage balloons would be put up around cities attached to steel cable to impede enemy aircraft

Hence in both cases a warning of attack - thus trouble when "the balloons go up". Some people add the red - another sign for danger.

Carry the can - take responsibility - in the strict sense reluctantly - but many people now use it generally.
    During 19th C explosive was used in coal and tin mines and one person had the unenviable task of carrying a can of explosives to the face each day - hence reluctance to carry the can

Brass Monkeys - a paraphrase of "freeze the balls off a brass monkey". In the 18th C Brass Monkey was the name given to the brass trays with cannonball size indentations that would form the base of a cannonball pyramid. Brass contracts faster in the cold than iron (which the cannonballs were made out of). On very cold days the indentations would contract so much that they couldn't hold the cannonballs and they would spill out onto the deck.

I know what the meanings are, but I was lucky that you picked on a few I know the source of!

Coley - thanks so much for the explanation of those colorful phrases... too much fun!

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam

HAHA, I'm imagining Amanda having her own Sitcom... HAHAHA, it would be BRILLIANT!!!

You open them puddle jumpers by clicking on the "Private Messages" blue link thing up at top right... but it sounds like your figuring it out! And everyone has their moments Like me, for example, um... every second of every day...

EEEEEH, your FIRST pm!? *dies of honour* Come on woman, send send, the show must go on, the mission must be completed, never leave a man/woman behind!!!
      I've gone into My Controls twice and "saved changes" more than twice and still get a blue screen telling me that I have not selected PMs and any other special doohickies ... but I have!!!!!!!!

I did go into your profile and managed to see that cute photo of you on the top right side, and you do look like Amanda!

I'll have to get one of the mods to go into my profile to find out why I cannot reset my changes to allow the PMs, etc. Bummer! Sky ... help!

Comment

Exactly Major Sam (couldn't find the post so i'm just gona assume you guys wknow what i'm talking about without quoting) it seems to me like Sam has become a prime target fora nyone who doesn#t like ship and even some people who do like ship- it's reduiculous everything she does she get's complained about i mean for instance! Threads
        Spoiler:
        when daniel walks out he NEKKED! he's like her brother so she looked away obviously shocked!! Some anti-er said sinething along the lines "she wasn't even happy when daniel came in she made a face as though she had just had sour milk, HE WAS NAKED PEOPLE IT WAS FUNNY!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          I've gone into My Controls twice and "saved changes" more than twice and still get a blue screen telling me that I have not selected PMs and any other special doohickies ... but I have!!!!!!!!

I did go into your profile and managed to see that cute photo of you on the top right side, and you do look like Amanda!

I'll have to get one of the mods to go into my profile to find out why I cannot reset my changes to allow the PMs, etc. Bummer! Sky ... help!
          Have you gone to My Controls, Edit Options, enabled PM's and stuff and then saved changes??? I dunno, i'll leave the help to the mods!

Thanks for comment on pic, lol, I don't think I look like her in that one... but hey, if others do, I ain't gonna complaing!

Originally posted by Sam fan
          Exactly Major Sam (couldn't find the post so i'm just gona assume you guys wknow what i'm talking about without quoting) it seems to me like Sam has become a prime target fora nyone who doesn#t like ship and even some people who do like ship- it's reduiculous everything she does she get's complained about i mean for instance! Threads
          Spoiler:
          when daniel walks out he NEKKED! he's like her brother so she looked away obviously shocked!! Some anti-er said sinething along the lines "she wasn't even happy when daniel came in she made a face as though she had just had sour milk, HE WAS NAKED PEOPLE IT WAS FUNNY!
          HAHAHAHAAAA, that was beautiful SF!! I completely agree!

Spoiler:
          I totally loved it when he came out (was hoping Jack would chuck him the american flag, like Amanda in the Femme Fatalle, but hey. I thought the very same thing. I mean, hello people, exactly like you said, he's like her BROTHER. If I saw MY bro walk in with only a flag i'd run out of the room! hahaha. The person sounds like a sour Daniel Fan who thinks everyone should think Daniel's a sex machine... bah. No offense if any of you guys are Danny fans, but.. in my experience, they tend to be anti-shippers and Sam haters in one. I was laughing my head off at Sam's response, i thought it was PERFECT! reminded me of the time when Earnest walked out in Torment of Tantalus.. I mean, the woman knows who she wants to see nekkid, (Jack!) and i'm afraid Danny ain't one of 'em!
          The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
          |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

CarterFic please?
            See http://www.fanfiction.net/~chopingal I think you'll like Head Trip - it's my first major attempt at a Sam-centric story ... still a work in progress! Thanks for asking.

Comment

i dont' know why it's not working. i know i can't change it, i tried and it didn't stick

my suggestion is to mail darren and get his help. his super mod powers should enable him to help you sort it out
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sam fan
                Spoiler:

it's all in how folks want to see things...and yes, there are folks out there who will just tie themselves into knots to find something about sam to complain about

how I saw it
                Spoiler:

here she is, her dad just died a few days(?) ago, she broke up her engagement, and all of a sudden her friend, who she thought was space toast, came back from teh dead...NAKED as a jaybird...freshly waxed and all spiffy...a 140 year old jaffa sitting across from the table appeared to be enjoying the scenery and she was sorta 'yeah, ok this is weird, but you know my life is weird....and i sure as hell ain't gonna go hug the naked guy hello
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

See http://www.fanfiction.net/~chopingal I think you'll like Head Trip - it's my first major attempt at a Sam-centric story ... still a work in progress! Thanks for asking.
                  It's a good story, CG. I'm hoping that you'll have new chapters soon. (Trying not to beg, as I know how busy you've been.)

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    it's all in how folks want to see things...and yes, there are folks out there who will just tie themselves into knots to find something about sam to complain about

how I saw it
                    Spoiler:

here she is, her dad just died a few days(?) ago, she broke up her engagement, and all of a sudden her friend, who she thought was space toast, came back from teh dead...NAKED as a jaybird...freshly waxed and all spiffy...a 140 year old jaffa sitting across from the table appeared to be enjoying the scenery and she was sorta 'yeah, ok this is weird, but you know my life is weird....and i sure as hell ain't gonna go hug the naked guy hello
                    Appreciate the Spoiler boxes ... haven't seen Threads yet but can't wait. I'm okay with reading what you guys are writing about though as I've already read the transcript.

It is amazing how some fans are so ready to jump on every little thing about Sam ... what you wrote makes perfect sense to me. But then I live in Samanda, not Dannyland. Not that I don't like the character but it does seem like there are two camps out there which refuse to let both characters be enjoyed. I think AT and MS work well together ... for Pete's sake (cough! poor choice of words ) AT was MC at Michael's wedding reception (what I'd give to have a video clip of that evening!) ... what's wrong with the fans? They should get with the program!

Thanks, Sky for trying to fix my problem. I'll contact Darren tomorrow night and see what's up.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                      It's a good story, CG. I'm hoping that you'll have new chapters soon. (Trying not to beg, as I know how busy you've been.)

NC
                      Why, thank you ma'am! I promise not to disappoint ... believe me, now that Gemini has come and gone, I'm free to get on with my own version of Sam and Fifth!

Just have to get through Wednesday night's class ... and make some free time for myself next weekend. My Muse keeps nudging me lately ... but RL keeps holding her at bay.

Plus, the discussions on this thread are really getting me energized.

Comment

Appreciate the Spoiler boxes ... haven't seen Threads yet but can't wait. I'm okay with reading what you guys are writing about though as I've already read the transcript.

It is amazing how some fans are so ready to jump on every little thing about Sam ... what you wrote makes perfect sense to me. But then I live in Samanda, not Dannyland. Not that I don't like the character but it does seem like there are two camps out there which refuse to let both characters be enjoyed. I think AT and MS work well together ... for Pete's sake (cough! poor choice of words ) AT was MC at Michael's wedding reception (what I'd give to have a video clip of that evening!) ... what's wrong with the fans? They should get with the program!

Thanks, Sky for trying to fix my problem. I'll contact Darren tomorrow night and see what's up.
                        Yup, definately have Samanda, then Dannyland. I don't know why, but it's there! It's really weird how there are then the Dan/Sam Shippers... Fandoms are crazy things.

She was MC at his wedding reception!?!?!? Where the heck did you find that out!? That would be HILARIOUS!!!!! I think she should be MC at my wedding, hahha... whenever that happens. I would pay ridiculosu amounts to see a video of that reception, haha. Her and Him definately do have a very strong friendship.

It's funny, he apparantly blasts Eminem in his trailer in the mornings and wakes her up. I think some of it's rubbed off on her, she swears like a sailor sometimes! it's hilarious.
                        Why, thank you ma'am! I promise not to disappoint ... believe me, now that Gemini has come and gone, I'm free to get on with my own version of Sam and Fifth!

Just have to get through Wednesday night's class ... and make some free time for myself next weekend. My Muse keeps nudging me lately ... but RL keeps holding her at bay.

Plus, the discussions on this thread are really getting me energized.
                        I'm with ya girl, I just remembered a multitude of things I have to do for tomorrow morning, but do you think I can concentrate on them? I'm reading a fic (very good one!!!) writing a fic (my insane big "Who is Sam inside" torture sending over the edge one) and trying to keep up with this thread! I just can't get away!
                        The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                        |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

yep, definitely need some Samanda

I thought her expression in the infirmary was totally Sam-Like
                          Yup. Classic Sam.

She broke my heart with her simple, "Dad?" when she caught on that Jacob was saying that both he and Selmac were dying. AT's power lies in her barebones simplicity. Awesome.
                          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                            Rectangular--cute way to ID your location. I'm from a mitten-shaped state.
                            Michigan?
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

it's all in how folks want to see things...
                              So true! What follows isn't about people's different reactions to Sam, but just shows how we all look at things differently. I put a question on the Threads discussion asking

Spoiler for Threads

Spoiler:
                              if it was the first episode ever where someone has actually gone beyond the hints, and said out loud that there was something between Sam and Jack, when Kerry asked Jack, "Is the Air Force the only thing keeping you two apart?" I was surprised that the writers were finally this direct.

The response to the post made me laugh. As Madeline pointed out, there's a school of thought that Kerry was referring to Jack and Daniel.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                                So true! What follows isn't about people's different reactions to Sam, but just shows how we all look at things differently. I put a question on the Threads discussion asking

Spoiler for Threads

Spoiler:
                                if it was the first episode ever where someone has actually gone beyond the hints, and said out loud that there was something between Sam and Jack, when Kerry asked Jack, "Is the Air Force the only thing keeping you two apart?" I was surprised that the writers were finally this direct.

The response to the post made me laugh. As Madeline pointed out, there's a school of thought that Kerry was referring to Jack and Daniel.

NC

I know i heard that too I oculdn't believe it!!!! If Jack and Daniel wanted to get together they woudl right? The military doens't have anything to do with it because Jack isn't Daniel's CO, Danny is a civilian?? lol, some peopel are so delusional- like the people on american idol! lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X