No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For season 2, my picks were In the Line of Duty, The Tokra Part 1, and One False Step.

Many of you have already given excellent reasons for choosing ITLOD and The Tokra Part 1, and I couldn’t agree with them more, so I won’t repeat those thoughts. However, One False Step is a more unusual choice, so I’ll try to explain, since it’s not a big Sam episode.

I admit to having a soft spot for OFS, since it was the first SG1 episode that I saw. I was hooked from that first show, mainly because of Sam. There she was, a female character, carrying a gun and looking like she might know how to use it. She was concerned about the indigenous people, worried that somehow their sickness was the team’s fault. She was smart, coming up with the solution to the epidemic. She was real, sheepishly admitting to the guys that she talks to her plants. That scene at the end is a wonderful example of Amanda humanizing Sam.

That episode gave me hope that science fiction television could do it right in creating and writing female characters. I hadn’t seen much of that in viewing sci fi for 30+ years, so SG1 was a revelation. Even though some of us may not like the direction that Sam has been given in the last couple of years, I believe she’s still much better than virtually all the other female characters that I’ve seen.

NC

Comment

One more point on AT the good sport: in the dvd commentary for Death Knell, she mentions that in the first scene where she's hiding from the kull warrior, she was actually lying on an anthill! But she "didn't want to complain" so didn't mention it. This was the first director PDL had heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
        *"
        We all understand each other, can totally play off other’s comments, we can put all our posts together to make the best, imo, thread on this forum. As well through all our posts and such we’ve grown to respect each other, in ways that are not common on the net. Or at least, I certainly respect everyone here!!!

We can disagree with others yet still maintain civility and even admire the poster more for the way they interpret a scene, or communicate their ideas.
        I know what you mean. I think we are able to maintain a generally positive outlook and respect each other's views without veering off into a *total* "mutual admiration society." And I think we all admire AT's talent and the character of Sam without getting creepy about it--I don't think we have any "stalkers" here.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
          Ok, I just had an insane conversation with a bunch of folks about some of my adventures with meeting Amanda, and they all requested I post the pictures of me and her from our my interview on November 23rd of last year. I thought this would probably be the most fitting place, I hope it's ok with everyone

I must point out that I am actually TALLER than her, but at the time of taking, a thought popped into my head that she's AMANDA TAPPING, and thus should stand higher than me, so I bent my knees and slouched down a bit...

What a great photo! Can you share the moment with us? What was the interview about?!

Looks like two attractive and spunky women in the picture, but someone is shy about having her face seen ... Thanks for sharing this with all of us. How lucky you are to have met her in person.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            One more point on AT the good sport: in the dvd commentary for Death Knell, she mentions that in the first scene where she's hiding from the kull warrior, she was actually lying on an anthill! But she "didn't want to complain" so didn't mention it. This was the first director PDL had heard of it.
            I listened to that too and thought wow, she went beyond the call of duty!
            Last edited by ChopinGal; 06 February 2005, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular

... One False Step is a more unusual choice, so I’ll try to explain, since it’s not a big Sam episode.

I admit to having a soft spot for OFS, since it was the first SG1 episode that I saw. I was hooked from that first show, mainly because of Sam. There she was, a female character, carrying a gun and looking like she might know how to use it. She was concerned about the indigenous people, worried that somehow their sickness was the team’s fault. She was smart, coming up with the solution to the epidemic. She was real, sheepishly admitting to the guys that she talks to her plants. That scene at the end is a wonderful example of Amanda humanizing Sam.

That episode gave me hope that science fiction television could do it right in creating and writing female characters. I hadn’t seen much of that in viewing sci fi for 30+ years, so SG1 was a revelation. Even though some of us may not like the direction that Sam has been given in the last couple of years, I believe she’s still much better than virtually all the other female characters that I’ve seen.

NC
              NC - What a great critique of an episode that wasn't one of the more prominent ... your description of Sam brings her character to the foreground and shows how good a part she played throughout. I always loved the sheepish talk-to-my-plants revelation at the end, too.

And, yes, AT has certainly done justice to the development of Sam Carter by playing against stereotype and bringing a refreshing and respectable dimension to the characterization of a female lead in the scifi genre. Luckily, she probably fought for some of that early development and won small victories along the way. Hopefully, the writers will play up her leadership role in S9 and allow her to grow even stronger.

CG

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

ChopinGal.
                I think season 8 will begin for me when I splash the wads for the first dvd - to be released at the end of this month. Othwerwise I would have to wait until late summer - if the dreaded T4 picks the series up again - the presenters have been trashing it quite a bit for season 7!

Thanks for the reply re the Gabbit event. I would love to meet up with you and show you around London - If we could all agree our favourite things to see!! Shame I don't live nearer or everyone could crash at mine!!
                Splash the wads?! Love it! Well, I hope you do spend the money on the DVDs so we can bring you up to date here on some of the Spoilers that we've been discussing. As to your British TV picking up the current season, I hope it happens. Over here, the ratings are doing well.

About GABIT - yes, I'm hoping that some of us from this thread can meet that weekend in London. Hoping, also, that you'll be able to buy a ticket and come to the main presentations and auction(s). Do you have a direct train in from your countryside? How long a ride?

CG

Comment

For season 2, my picks were In the Line of Duty, The Tokra Part 1, and One False Step.

Many of you have already given excellent reasons for choosing ITLOD and The Tokra Part 1, and I couldn’t agree with them more, so I won’t repeat those thoughts. However, One False Step is a more unusual choice, so I’ll try to explain, since it’s not a big Sam episode.

That episode gave me hope that science fiction television could do it right in creating and writing female characters. I hadn’t seen much of that in viewing sci fi for 30+ years, so SG1 was a revelation. Even though some of us may not like the direction that Sam has been given in the last couple of years, I believe she’s still much better than virtually all the other female characters that I’ve seen. NC
                  Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  NC - What a great critique of an episode that wasn't one of the more prominent ... your description of Sam brings her character to the foreground and shows how good a part she played throughout. I always loved the sheepish talk-to-my-plants revelation at the end, too.

And, yes, AT has certainly done justice to the development of Sam Carter by playing against stereotype and bringing a refreshing and respectable dimension to the characterization of a female lead in the scifi genre. Luckily, she probably fought for some of that early development and won small victories along the way. Hopefully, the writers will play up her leadership role in S9 and allow her to grow even stronger.

CG
                  Wow! Great posts! Wonderful comments and observations.
                  Tried to rep you, but it won't let me right now...
                  so, I'm sending you some Blue Jello!

Comment

Originally posted by AmberMoon
                    First time posting to this thread...created a pic of Sam but could find no place to post...found this thread and because it had Sam's name in it... I hope you don't mind...

...I love Sam Carter. Being a retired USAF, it's great to see a female in the military portrayed with intelligence, spunk, energy, toughness, passion...I think you get my drift. Sam Carter is no wimp!

Amanda Tapping is an amazing actress and when I found this image...I just had to make this picture. (I read somewhere that AT's favorite color is orange.)
                    Welcome aboard, AmberMoon and thanks for such a terrific reproduction!

Orange-you the clever one!! Ooh, sorry, just couldn't resist ....

Comment

just a reminder that you guys only have a few more hours to vote in the s1 poll, if you haven't already

it'll close tonight
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Astro! Keep that blue jello coming for all of us here - I have to confess that I've been unable to spread the love around either - with those rep points - so the blue jello helps a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                          Hi, everyone. There's no place like home, eh?

Season 2 poll: I voted for Line of Duty - well, d'uh! Matter of Time and Message in a Bottle. I would gladly include Tok'Ra 1&2, but the poll put such unreasonable demands upon us - choose only 3 out of 22 eps. Really, now!

MoT: I love SF and this was a terrific SF, and Sam-centered episode. I love so much about how AT acted in this ep. Her "the hole isn't a hole and the apple isn't an apple... Colonel?" routine just cracks me up. Jack's reaction to her puts me in mind of that song, She Blinded Me With Science.

Then, of course, there's Sam's dry-throated horror at what was happening to Boyd's team, which she subtly changed to scientific detachment - "let's watch and study the effects of gravity on these four specimens and their environment." This change in Sam was so subtle that it's almost impossible to see the demarcation between concerned humanity and detached scientist. With the way AT chose to act this scene she highlighted - for me, at least - a glimpse of how good people can come to do evil things.

I loved Sam's frustration at being unable to grasp this particular bull by the horns. Being a theoretical Astrophysicist, this should have been a walk in the park for her, but no; all the conventional, complicated theorems that she'd been trained in were rendered useless; Narim was proved right: her understanding of quantum mechanics was flawed. She finally had to resort to the simplest of answers - blow the damn thing away (and, another plus: how many times does AT get to act alongside CJ in season two?)

Message in a Bottle. That's always been one of my all-time fav eps for the whole series and even though Jack is the one who gets skewered(I always cringe when I watch that scene!) I consider MiaB a Sam-focused ep. She does some great scenes with Daniel, Janet (personally, this is my fav Sam/Janet ep), Simmons, Hammond and Jack.
                          And, in Message in a Bottle, we get to see Sam as a scientist again, but this time it's not Super Sam. She has to keep experimenting(unfortunately with Jack's life in the balance,) until she finds the solution. Isn't that more the norm for science than getting it right on the first attempt?NC
                          Another wonderful critique! Wonderful observations and insights.
                          Thanks so much for reminding me of those scenes.
                          Love the observations about Sam and the scientific method for MiaB.
                          Again, it won't let me send you green jello rep blocks right now,
                          so I'm sending along some Blue Jello...

Comment

Astrogeologist - can't see you solitudes captures - unless I didn't give my creaking computer enough time to download them!!! Thankyou for all the other captures!!
                            Coley: Click on this - and a separate window should open with only the Solitudes post... and hopefully the pics will come up for you If the pics still don't come up for you, send me a PM and we can see if we can troubleshoot the problem (All of the Solitudes pics are around the size of the pic in my signature, so I don't know why they wouldn't come up for you yesterday).

Comment

Still reading through the past day's posts, and can't help but thinking what interesting critiques on the less-popular episodes. I love the scientific take offered by Tok'ra Hostess and Nearly Circular especially. I come from a soft-science background (humanities/counseling) and really like to read and learn more about how Sam's scientific mind works. Thanks, guys!

Again, what Sally and MajorSam have been saying: we all bring such unique and diverse perspectives to our vision of who Sam is ... and each new post adds more to the overall interpretation of the character.

Comment

Wow MajorSam - what an epic you went through. You are amazing - and must be both physically and mentally very resiliant. I loved reading your post - thanks for taking the time to put it up!! I loved the bit about the guys snoring like chainsaws - had similar experiences in some Scottish Bothys when off backpacking - ever heard the saying - "snoring like a trooper" - which I think is a cannibalisation of another saying?! You carry 100lb sacks - my backpack usually weighs about 40lb and that is way heavy enough for me - you must be strong!! You prove just how tough women can be when they train and try!!!

A lovely pic of Amanda you put up - doesn't she look radiant. How come you edited yourself out?
                                I admit I was exagerating a wee bit with the 100lbs, I actually don't know how much it weighed, but i'm pretty sure it was close!!! It included all our supplies, food, clothes, sleeping bags, tents, extra stuff... there was this one tiny new guy who's pack was bigger than him, he couldn't even go the first KM, poor guy...

Originally posted by tara3583
                                Thankyou for posting your photo and does'nt Amanda look well and i see blooming as well bless her!
                                May i ask what she had to say when you interviewed her and is that the only photo of Amanda and your self?
                                Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                What a great photo! Can you share the moment with us? What was the interview about?!

Looks like two attractive and spunky women in the picture, but someone is shy about having her face seen ... Thanks for sharing this with all of us. How lucky you are to have met her in person.
                                My interview was on November 23rd, of last year. It wasn't a normal interview on Stargate or anything, it was an interview on the Career of Acting. So we were talking all about agents and auditions and workshops and stuff. Of course we did get into Stargate at many points as frames of referance (and jokes) and stuff... So yeah, not a normal interview. It went for like....about 2 1/2 hours though

I edited myself out of the picture because... well, compared to her I don't think it's the best picture of me, lol. As silly a thing as that

I'll hopefully be posting the interview, if anyone is interested in acting, but i'm just waiting to make sure I have full permission from her before I do so.

Thank you so much once again for everyone's comments on my weekend, and my picture. That pic is definately one of my most treasured possessions, lol.

Oh yeah, and thank you SO much for everyone who's given me rep I'm on my way to getting my THIRD GREEN GLOWY!!!
                                The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                                |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Working...
                                X