No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the best Sam Carter moments – that hooked me on Stargate – was at the beginning of the Season 3 episode ‘Forever in a Day’. SGC personnel are fighting all-out against advancing Jaffa. In the midst of the pitched battle Sam capably handles an RPG (rocket-propelled grenade launcher, if I have that correctly).
    What astounded me when I saw these fleeting intro scenes was how the writers and directors allowed Carter to simply function as one of the soldiers. No comment on the fact that she was a woman… or that RPGs are usually associated with macho men… More typically an RPG is something that they would have had Teal’c or O’Neill wielding. But Carter got to do it… and they simply moved on without fanfare. I was so impressed at how they handled the female soldier, that I became an avid fan from thereon after.

First two photos are screen captures from the StargateFan website
    Rightmost photo is a screen capture from the Abydos Gate Website

After that I ordered the Season 1, 2 and 3 DVDs and watched them in order. What a treat! So many great Carter moments (see earlier posts).

Being a female scientist myself, I love seeing Carter organically solve techno-science problems. AT has created an intelligent female character who isn’t arrogant or b----y.

I also like seeing the ‘softer side of Sam’… the moments when they let her cry…. or simply dress in jeans or a skirt and a simple shirt.

But when each new episode begins, I have to admit, I am always hoping that they will show more of the oh-so-competent kick-ass ‘Soldier Sam’.

Originally posted by gracalus
    As gracalus stated “I don't mind her technobabble: that's part of Sam's character. I like to see Sam solving technical problems and getting down and dirty with a soldering iron. I also like to see Sam exhibit her military competence - kicking butt, exhibiting her marksmanship skills, and being given the chance to be the Hand Signal Person In Charge.”
    My vote overwhelmingly goes to giving Sam lots of screen time as the Hand Signal Person In Charge!
    Last edited by astrogeologist; 09 January 2005, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      My vote overwhelmingly goes to giving Sam lots of screen time as the Hand Signal Person In Charge!
      Mine, too! Sam does a lean and mean hand signal!

Later,
      Graculus

Comment

One of the best Sam Carter moments – that hooked me on Stargate – was at the beginning of the Season 3 episode ‘Forever in a Day’. SGC personnel are fighting all-out against advancing Jaffa. In the midst of the pitched battle Sam capably handles an RPG (rocket-propelled grenade launcher, if I have that correctly).
        What astounded me when I saw these fleeting intro scenes was how the writers and directors allowed Carter to simply function as one of the soldiers. No comment on the fact that she was a woman… or that RPGs are usually associated with macho men… More typically an RPG is something that they would have had Teal’c or O’Neill wielding. But Carter got to do it… and they simply moved on without fanfare. I was so impressed at how they handled the female soldier, that I became an avid fan from thereon after.

I loved that too. She just saw the need and stepped in. And (to this non-military expert) unless we had really good effects, it look like AT handled it well.

Comment

One of my 'All-Time Favorite Sam Carter Moments'
          ASTRONAUT'S PERSPECTIVE

Carter admires Earth from orbit... realizing dreams...
          ... dreams of being an astronaut... dreams of exploring space...

Photo is from The Abydos Gate Website
          http://tapping.stargate-sg1.hu/photo..._SG-1/Season_2
          Screen capture from Season Two's "Serpent's Lair'; Carter is in the death glider with Teal'c
          Last edited by astrogeologist; 09 January 2005, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Here's another excellent Carter music montage

'Not Just Another Pretty Face' by Shima

The official video for Amanda Tapping at the German City Con (last year?)
            First Place Winner of the Stargate 2003 Music Video Awards: Carter category
            http://www.shimatsuno.de/Englisch/e_video.html

Comment

Just skimmed through all the posts again.
              There are just too many superb SC/AT moments to put on the thread
              But here are a few more of my fave's:
              Her peeved look at the Huggable Hammond in Ascention when he denied her request to join SG16.
              Her exchange with O'Neill in Unatural Selection when he wanted to call the ship "The Enterprise" - the whole scene was brilliant.
              Her "What are you looking at?" to Daniel as he inspects her should be chest wound in The Knox
              Her interaction with the "Flower Girl" in 1969 - just wonderfully warm.
              Her exchange with McKay in the gate room re the pulse machine in Redemeption
              I loved her performance in "The Changeling" (loved CJ's performance too for that matter).
              Her reaction when Earnest was running naked towards her and Daniel in Torment of Tantalus (was he really naked?)
              Her peeved look in Upgrades when O'Neill said "Carter wanted steak and her retort "It was your idea....Sir!" Again a perfect delivery in timing and emphasis
              Oh so many many more
              I too didn't realise the "Idiot" line to Maybourne in Foothold was adlibbed - thanks for that snipped - that was a real gem!
              She's just my favourite actor - along with Judy Dench - Anyone seen her acting in "As Tme Goes By"? Wonderful comedic delivery and facial expression - they are very much alike as actors.
              I'm too hoping for more Action Sam in season 9 - she does it so well!!

Comment

I love the character of Sam. I just wish the writers would stop trying to girlie her up! She's a strong female character that can be feminine without needing to be a girlie girl. They need to get back to the basics with her character. I started to see that in IGTBK. I just hope that they keep it up for the rest of S8 and stay that way for S9!

Comment

love the character of Sam. I just wish the writers would stop trying to girlie her up! She's a strong female character that can be feminine without needing to be a girlie girl. They need to get back to the basics with her character. I started to see that in IGTBK. I just hope that they keep it up for the rest of S8 and stay that way for S9!

Hear, Hear!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                    Just skimmed through all the posts again.
                    There are just too many superb SC/AT moments to put on the thread
                    But here are a few more of my fave's:
                    Her interaction with the "Flower Girl" in 1969 - just wonderfully warm.
                    Her exchange with McKay in the gate room re the pulse machine in Redemeption
                    I loved her performance in "The Changeling" (loved CJ's performance too for that matter).

Oh so many many more

She's just my favourite actor - along with Judy Dench - Anyone seen her acting in "As Tme Goes By"? Wonderful comedic delivery and facial expression - they are very much alike as actors.

I'm too hoping for more Action Sam in season 9 - she does it so well!!
                    Coley -- thanks for citing those great SC/AT moments... especially some of the ones with humor

You mentioned SC/AT's part in The Changeling... and just last night, I ran across a music video called
                    'Fireman Sam' (based on... Sam's scenes in that episode...)

The video file is a ZIP file that unzips to a .WMV file that can be played in Windows Media Player.
                    The author's website is LauraJo's Lunar Lounge: I Hope You Dance

I have not seen "As Time Goes By"; however, I have seen Judy Dench in many big-screen films, and I agree that she is a wonderful actress. Love her as 'M' in the James Bond films

Comment

Is this "Fireman Sam" video set to the music of the TV show Fireman Sam? That'd be sooo funny

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                        Is this "Fireman Sam" video set to the music of the TV show Fireman Sam? That'd be sooo funny
                        Yes it is Madeleine!
                        sigpic

Comment

ROFL, that's brilliant!

Now if they were to use the original (Welsh) version of the song that would be funnier still

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                            Ah ha! So it's from a TV show...! Where does the show air?

Comment

Cheers Astrogeologist
                              "As Time Goes By" Is a long running sitcom. I think it ran for about 7 seasons. It aslo has Geoffery Palmer in.
                              I haven't the software -for fancy vids - sob - there seems to be so much around from fans on this site. I'm on win95 and 65meg ram so doubt if I could download media player???
                              Soo many fans are Soo creative. Another great thing about the show - inspiring!!
                              One of the shippers was off to make up a video earlier today and it made me get my finger out and create a music cd. Not stargate releated though. - Fave songs from growing up. It's playing at the moment. It Starts with "Layla" Derek and the Dominoes and this cd ends with Cat Stevens - Just Another Night. I'm really enjoying listening to it. Yellow Brick Road by Elton John is playing now. I guess this dates me eh!

Comment

Ah ha! So it's from a TV show...! Where does the show air?
                                ok, ok, Googled it and answered my own question... 'Fireman Sam' was an animated series with 32 episodes "It was first broadcast on the BBC and S4C (the UK's Welsh language broadcaster) in 1986 and it continues to be broadcast on both channels today and has been sold to broadcasters in over 40 countries from Poland to Korea." From tvtome.com

The Stargate 'Fireman Sam' music video was great fun!
                                'Fireman Sam'

Comment

Working...
                                X