Spoiler:
    i was referring to RC

she does something that you just don't expect and it's very cold blooded
    Thanks.

And many thanks (and Blue Jello) for overseeing the Carter Poll

All of your work is greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by stargate is lame go outside
      My top carter episodes are the ones that are over.
      are you saying you like all carter episodes or are you being ignorant? because judging by your posts on other threads tonight, it seems like you are just out to cause trouble and thats not cool

Comment

Originally posted by major_flaming_toaster
        I've been reading a lot of posts and not to negate anyones opinion, but I thought Gemini was great. I loved AT. It takes real talent to be able to look at the same character in two completly different ways. And to be able to play it believably is another story altogether. I thought Gemini was outstanding, one of the best of Season 8. But looking at the poll at GW, more people thought it was "Good Show". Gemini was great!
        Hi and welcome to this friendly little corner of Gateworld! I think all of us on this thread loved Amanda's performance in Gemini, and most of us liked seeing a Sam-heavy episode. But some people feel that the plot required Sam to act in a way contrary to her character as it's been developed over the years.

It seems that we're all protective of the Sam we've come to know and love, and hate to see her denigrated by anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Hi Choc! Something tells me that the writers have shelved the Jolinar arc - put it up there right next to Cassie and whatever happened to her ...
          And Janet... has she even been mentioned once since Heroes 2? I feel that's an injustice to the Janet character.

Sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major_flaming_toaster
            I've been reading a lot of posts and not to negate anyones opinion, but I thought Gemini was great. I loved AT. It takes real talent to be able to look at the same character in two completly different ways. And to be able to play it believably is another story altogether. I thought Gemini was outstanding, one of the best of Season 8. But looking at the poll at GW, more people thought it was "Good Show". Gemini was great!
            Well, I believe everyone in this thread thought it was great too!

Sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

everybody, ignore the troll
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Found this wonderful post by ChopinGal on another thread and I wanted to share it with everyone here on this thread. ChopinGal, your posts rock, as usual.

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                Great post! I have said on other posts that AT can say more with a look, a tone, a gesture than most any other actors ... and what you've written shows that.

It reminded me of an article I read months ago in which Amanda mentions that there was a time when she was preparing to return for the next season and decided that she needed to "get back into Sam's skin" (paraphrasing here). What impressed me, though, was that AT then said she started repracticing Sam's physicality - she stayed in character throughout the day - so whatever she was doing in her AT world, she did as Sam Carter would: walking, running, whatever.

I never even thought about that until then but, yes, really good actors do live their characters. Aside: for someone on the big screen right now - Hilary Swank is probably similar to AT in professionalism and talent.

That's why it is such a joy to watch these kinds of performers.
                AT deserves recognition for working hard at her craft. Learning about the dedication and effort that she has put into her roles makes me appreciate her onscreen performances even more!

In perusing the other threads... I have come upon many Thunk threads and such... places where folks post sexy pics of their favorite actors... but I haven't seen nearly as much discussion of the quality of the acting as I have seen in AT/Carter comments. Even folks who don't like where the writers have taken the character of Carter over the past couple of years - even these folks often make a point of praising AT's acting.

As an actor AT has risen above the crowd... she stands out.
                Last edited by astrogeologist; 29 January 2005, 08:33 PM.

Comment

My votes were for Hathor, Singularity and Enigma.

Hathor
                  -great interactions between Sam and Janet - you could see the friendship beginning
                  -some great comic moments for Sam - the women behind bars movie line, knocking out the general and worrying about her career, the double take at the end when she realizes she's not in trouble
                  - Sam kicks butt! leading a team of women to fight Hathor, shooting up the tank of Goa'uld larva
                  - there's even some Sam-Teal'c teamwork

Singularity and Enigma for the same reasons expressed by others already, and
                  - the softer side of Sam with Cassandra and Narim, along with a firm resolve to to do the right thing in both episodes, disobeying orders by staying with Cassie, and helping Narim and the others, going against official policy.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                    My votes were for Hathor, Singularity and Enigma.

Hathor
                    -great interactions between Sam and Janet - you could see the friendship beginning
                    -some great comic moments for Sam - the women behind bars movie line, knocking out the general and worrying about her career, the double take at the end when she realizes she's not in trouble
                    - Sam kicks butt! leading a team of women to fight Hathor, shooting up the tank of Goa'uld larva
                    - there's even some Sam-Teal'c teamwork

Singularity and Enigma for the same reasons expressed by others already, and
                    - the softer side of Sam with Cassandra and Narim, along with a firm resolve to to do the right thing in both episodes, disobeying orders by staying with Cassie, and helping Narim and the others, going against official policy.
                    OK... you folks have changed my opinion of the episode 'Hathor'... I originally didn't like the premise of that episode, but you have all made some great comments about Sam's role in that show.

NearlyCircular -- I like how you encapsulated common plot attributes between Singularity and Enigma. Very nice!

Comment

Aw shucks. Thanks, Astrog.

Comment

spoilers for s7's chimera, and s8's new order and gemini

Originally posted by Skydiver

since sam has never faced her demon, she underestimated it. No one wants to consider that there's a cold blooded manipulative murderer residing inside them
                        I love the way you put that - never faced her demon, so she underestimated it. Whether Sam knew where/what RC came from, she also knew she was a part of herself. And just as important, she'd seen a glimpse of the torture RC'd endured (just like her), so it was only another reason to try to open herself up.

I do think also, this gives us a glimpse into just how much fifth messed her up. i'm willing to bet she told the boys that she didn't remember what he did to her. but she had to. his torture wouldn't have had much of an impresson had she not recalled it
                        And wouldn't it have been great/interesting if they'd followed up on that situation? It might not have been a beating of the body kind of torture, but it 'was' torture, so why wouldn't that have had some lasting impact on Sam? It would, but the show's not showing it. The only time they've shown the impact was with what Jolinar did to her in In the Line of Duty. What she went through in New Order was bad to me, so why not show the ramifications? Did she have lasting headaches? Nightmares? Heck, going back to Entity, was Sam scared of computers and/or being in the dark after that? I just feel that so many opportunties for character exploration is wasted.

Going off on another subject, I can honestly say that the only time I've ever felt Sam was out-of-character was at the end of Chimera. The Sam I've known for 8 years wouldn't have allowed a person to treat her in that way without having a word about it. And a small and simple moment at the end of that ep would have done wonders.

(taken from the Chimera script on Gateworld. I've also added in my own part, which you'll notice if you know the ep)

SHANNAHAN: I believe I lived up to my end of the bargain.

CARTER: What I'm about to tell you is classified under section 11C9 of the National Security Act. *Sam pauses, giving him a serious look* But after I tell you, Pete, you and I are going to have a little chat about trust...

*Pete smiles tightly and sheepishly and then nods*

I wish they'd had taken a moment to address this issue. It wouldn't have impacted the S/J shipper in me, but the Sam fan would have felt a heck of a lot better.

Sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          everybody, ignore the troll

I had too... I didn't understand what he/she said.

Sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                            Man, I'm glad this thread is here. :thumbsup:

Me too. It is a great poll but the choice for me was hard because i really liked sam in most of season 1`s eps.I chose Hathor because sam really took command in that ep.I love her chatacter she is such a strong lady.

scottishshipper

Comment

Oi! Neglect this thread for one day and the posts really pile up!

About polls; I hate 'em. Too much choice! I'd find it a heckofalot easier to vote for my least favorite Sam ep. (There wouldn't even be three on the ballot, for one thing.)

About Sam and Vala;

<gnashes teeth> I don't mind Vala as such, and I'm okay with her being a former host, but, yes, obviously the writers are going to explore that side of Vala, in depth. I bet we get more "Vala the former host" out of her five episodes than we've gotten of Sam in the six seasons since she was blended.

About Sam not using her abilities: I think Seth ties in beautifully with Gemini. Selmak told Sam that she had the will within herself to kill Seth. And, boy, did she ever! Right away, though, she felt a terrible... what? Fear? Guilt? Self-loathing? How exactly would you define that look she gave Jack after his hurtful "Praise Dorothy"?

It's not like she'd never killed before. What is the difference between pulling a trigger and using the hand device? I expect that, at that moment, she saw just how dark she could be.

Next time she successfully uses the hand device, it is to heal a Goa'uld(Fair Game). She hates the Goa'uld, yet, even though she rationalizes it on the surface, mightn't she, deep down, where logic holds no sway, decide that she is more sympathetic to the Goa'uld than to humans, even to her nearest, dearest friend, Daniel?

How do you live with the fact that you can help the enemy but not a friend? How do you keep from hating yourself, deep down in that dark well of your hidden personality, where the light of reason can't penetrate?

My guess is that that part of Sam condemned her as evil, unworthy, and hides her abilities from her. Vala, OTOH, was likely a rascal from before she was taken as a host. She would be in touch with her inner demons, if you will; she'd take advantage of her abilities, because she seems - thus far - to have that selfish, me first attitude.

Now, I think the writers could redeem themselves for not developing Sam's abilities fully in seasons past, by allowing Vala and Sam to interact on a level that only these two share. Maybe Vala could help Sam "embrace her dark side" as Skydiver said. I think I'd like to see a Carter/MacKay type antagonism between these two women, mainly because of their respective attitudes toward their abilities.
                              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I love Sam ..and she is just mixed up right now ..Who wouldn't be !!
                                She is just going through a hard emotionnal patch in her life and it does happen to everybody ...For her well ..she has an important job and it seems to conflict with her professional decisions ...but I believe that when you are unhappy in love , it must be difficult to work well..and yes she made wrong decisions because of that ....but hopefully it's only a moment in time , People grow and go through phases in life ..She 'll get through it but it takes time like in real life ...she is not perfect and she knows that .

All she needs to do is sort out her private life so that she can be a extremely good colonel ..and she'll do it .She wants to do it ...just give her a little time .

Caty

Comment

Working...
                                X