Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deepspace
    I watched the Amanda Tapping Video Diary on DVD tonight. Boy do those actors go silly in front of camera. It's so fun to watch. I also started watching a commentary of Red Sky, where Amanda talks about how she actually studies the physics that Sam has to talk about. (I'm pretty sure this has been discussed on this thread).
    Last night I finally saw the Stuck on a Glacier with MacGyver adlib, which I've heard about for ages now. I spent a lot of time on the floor hugging my aching ribs.
    Amanda might complain that Sam's not funny, but she herself sure is.
    Originally posted by Lida
    Where did you find the out take from Solitudes??? I saw it last year and have been looking for it again ever since.....my hubby REALLY wants to see it. I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks!!!!!
    AT: You spent seven years on MacGyver and you can't figure this one out? We got belt buckles and shoelaces and a piece of gum...build a nuclear reactor, for crying out loud! You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, McGimmick - now you're Mr....MacUseless! (lots of laughter from the film crew here...) Dear God! Stuck on a glacier with MacGyver!

If there's anyone here who hasn't had a chance to check it out, you can view it here (video and audio) (it's the last third of the clip)
    Click here for just the audio clip

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      see, i don't like explicit whumpage. someone gets owied, fine. happens. necessary for h/c fic and angst and plot and i've done it myself countless times. but i don't care for pages and pages of descriptions and medical data and a detailed listing of everything that's happened. Even in fic, a lot of the time i just skim over the details.
      I am a little disturbed by the fact that I like whumpage in fiction so well. For as long as I've been reading, I've enjoyed stories where the characters had to overcome physical and emotional pain. For me, I think there's something appealing about the physical and emotional sacrifice involved with getting hurt... the psychology of overcoming (or failing to overcome) pain... dealing with recovery as an expression of the human spirit. But I don't usually care for darkfic (as I believe it's termed in the fanfic world); life is already depressing enough without adding that dimension of evil/darkness to my subconscious mind.

I've also always had extreme problems watching graphic violence (ie. realistic blood squirting, heads flying, guts spilling) on TV and in films... I refuse to watch horror movies and will not patronize feature films where killing people seems to be the main plot line... I don't like body count movies, and I think that graphic violence as visual entertainment is a bad thing for our society, but I'll spare you the rant on why I think that is so.

Truly, I'm a PG-13, Disney, and Sound of Music kinda gal, and my friends sometimes accuse me of living in a dream world of optimistic innocence (maintained through sheer stubborness these days as I become more and more inclined towards cynicism). Given all of that, I suppose it's a bit surprising that Abyss didn't bother me too much. I thought it was pretty tame by today's blood gushing standards, and, for me, it was more about the psychology of the situation (Jack and Daniel's interaction) than Baal's torture routine. It wasn't sadistic violence for the sake of sadistic violence.

My own Sam whumping stories are, I think, cathartic for me in some way. I've noticed that my writing gets darker as my stress levels in real life increase. In my professional life I've been writing about terrorism and WMDs, and the more pictures I look at of bombings and dead and diseased bodies, the more such things creep into my writing. Unfortunately for poor Sam, the book I'm currently working on is going to include many graphic pictures and several detailed case studies about terrorism incidents around the world.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
        I am a little disturbed by the fact that I like whumpage in fiction so well. For as long as I've been reading, I've enjoyed stories where the characters had to overcome physical and emotional pain. For me, I think there's something appealing about the physical and emotional sacrifice involved with getting hurt... the psychology of overcoming (or failing to overcome) pain... dealing with recovery as an expression of the human spirit. But I don't usually care for darkfic (as I believe it's termed in the fanfic world); life is already depressing enough without adding that dimension of evil/darkness to my subconscious mind.

I've also always had extreme problems watching graphic violence (ie. realistic blood squirting, heads flying, guts spilling) on TV and in films... I refuse to watch horror movies and will not patronize feature films where killing people seems to be the main plot line... I don't like body count movies, and I think that graphic violence as visual entertainment is a bad thing for our society, but I'll spare you the rant on why I think that is so.
        Strix - you said so much of how I feel! Well put! I don't watch horror or slasher (different kind of slash here) films either - or read that genre of books. Scifi gets as close as I want to to that arena.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          Strix - you said so much of how I feel! Well put! I don't watch horror or slasher (different kind of slash here) films either - or read that genre of books. Scifi gets as close as I want to to that arena.
          i won't watch horror movies either. and i have to be in just the right mood to watch a really violent movie, like a van damme or such others that are all action.

it just doesn't appeal to me.yeah, i know it's fake, i know it's all staged and the work of some very talented sfx crews, but i'm just not in the mood for the super violence and language.

now, i use language, some of it the 4 letter words you're thinking of but anything used to extreme just gets on my nerves
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I don't think I've ever watched a horror movie. I really don't think I ever want to.
            I get a lot of teasing from friends about it. Once they asked me what was the scariest film I'd ever seen, and I replied with 'Terminator'. They laughed a lot.
            I certainly don't find the violence in Stargate that bad. I think Battlestar Galactica is maybe a little more violent, I'm not sure.

astrogeologist: I haven't seen any of the Battlestar Galactica episodes (don't get the scifi channel on our basic cable where I live ) - so I'll have to wait until they release it in syndication.
            That's fine astro. I was just thinking that there had been a few people here who had talked to me about Starbuck, and I was wondering if they felt like joining in. I have already got two replies to my thread, and neither of them were negative, so I take that as a good sign so far. I was just worried for a while.

Anyway, off the suject of BG, this is the Sam thread!

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Lida: Where did you find the out take from Solitudes??? I saw it last year and have been looking for it again ever since.....my hubby REALLY wants to see it. I'd appreciate any info you can provide.
              Thanks!!!!!
              Well, astrogeologist has provided the link to the clip, but I just wanted to add that I watched it on the season7 lowdown, which was on one of the DVD's in my season6 boxset.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

NearlyCircular: Great story, deepspace! Not funny? I cracked up at "Spaz who had been lurking...", and “I am Elektron, first prime of the system lord Atomn.” Keep it up if you can
                NC(apparently still in a cargo hold).
                Yeah, um, you have been in that cargo hold a long time now, haven't you...
                Will have to do something about that.

astro: Deepspace! This is hilarious! And very clever and witty!
                Love the way that you've integrated so much into the story...
                Absolutely spectacular!
                Can't wait for the next installment! (hint, hint )
                Definitely worthy of the Royal Order of the Blue Jello
                - and a 5-jello rating!
                Was trying to remember when you posted part 1 of this story (so we could post a link back to it for new folks), but the search feature is still disabled
                Yes, well I was going to post a link to Part one along with the second part, except the search feature isn't working. I scrolled through loads of pages looking for it manually, but gave up after going through about 100 quickly. And, no, I can't post it again, because the only copy of it in existance known to mankind is posted on this thread.

Wow! This is wonderful, deepspace! I love how you photoshopped and moved Sam and the fire (at the bottom of the collage) - and blowing up the sun at the top - it looks great! Also love the candle flame and the 'flame effect' around the center pic. I don't know how you folks make these collages come out looking so great (whenever I try, the results are horrid! - I 'overphotoshop' way too easily!).
                Thanks again, deepspace - and ... wow!
                Royal Order of the Photoshopped Blue Jello
                Well, it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but I'm glad you liked it. I included the candle, which was originally a photo I took myself, because it's kind of how I picture you on this thread, one candle, burning brightly.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Well, astrogeologist has provided the link to the clip, but I just wanted to add that I watched it on the season7 lowdown, which was on one of the DVD's in my season6 boxset.
                  I am so jealous of everyone who got the Season 7 lowdown with their DVDs! I bought the box sets for all seven seasons and *none* of them include any lowdowns! I was really hoping that the Season 7 DVD set would have the Season 7 lowdown at the begining... but *no*! harumph (ok, done ranting... )

Comment

I included the candle, which was originally a photo I took myself,
                    Ok, now I'm even more impressed - it's not easy to take a good picture of something that's burning... and you did a great job of snipping the candle and flame out of the original picture. Thanks so much for likening me to the candle flame... The SaGC thread and the kingdom of Samanda has so many denizens who are also points of light in the dark... and keeping the Sam-flame burning - including yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                      I am so jealous of everyone who got the Season 7 lowdown with their DVDs! I bought the box sets for all seven seasons and *none* of them include any lowdowns! I was really hoping that the Season 7 DVD set would have the Season 7 lowdown at the begining... but *no*! harumph (ok, done ranting... )
                      Yeah, the ones I got didn't include them, either.

My LJ

Comment

Yes, well I was going to post a link to Part one along with the second part, except the search feature isn't working. I scrolled through loads of pages looking for it manually, but gave up after going through about 100 quickly. And, no, I can't post it again, because the only copy of it in existance known to mankind is posted on this thread.
                        Part One? There's a Part One???

<APPLAUSE> That's one terrific little Action/Adventure you've got going, DS. Write on!
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Don't you think Sam made a cute soldier as a kid?????

On fighting:
                          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

THE LOST ELDER
                            A story of the City of Samanda

[COLOR=SeaGreen]…continued

(snipped)

I started writing this a long time ago now. I hope it’s not too doomsdayish, like discussion of season9. I would have liked to make it more humourous, but being funny and witty just doesn’t seem to come to me naturally. Also, I haven’t managed to write in everyone who posts here, so know that I didn’t want to leave any of you out, it’s just I could only keep track of a few separate storylines at a time. If you want to be in it, you could maybe continue the story?

that was great! yes, please continue (if that's good with everyone?).

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Ok, on the subject of Gemini.
                              Now, I know none of you are going to like this post, because it’s going to be harsh.
                              It’s really easy to say Sam stuffed up. It’s really easy to say she made bad decisions. It’s easy to say Sam was gullible. It’s even easier to say that she should have killed Replicarter.
                              Now, you tell me, if you were in that position, your replicator double has just walked through the gate, what are you going to do?

ask questions first, and shoot (if i have to) later.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                                I think there's a decent chance that's where she is at the beginning of season 9.

spoilers for s9
                                Spoiler:
                                if sam 'is' at the alpha site at the beginning of season 9, then what do you think she's doing there?

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X