Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    I dunno about everyone else, but I for one am looking forward to Sam's return in Season9. Based on spoilers I've heard so far, I think they've got a pretty cool reason why Sam is absent for the start
    Spoiler:
    Off working with the Asgard, IMO

Can't wait for season9 Sam Carter!
    That would be definitely cool, AD! And - great new Sam pic in your rotating pic pool (one of Sam looking sidways in Need, I think)

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      The Whiffenpoof Song from a time long, long ago

We're poor Stargate lambs
      Who have gone astray
      Baa Baa Baa

We're lost without Sam
      And full of dismay
      Baa Baa Baa

Gents and ladies
      All without glee
      Condemning Season 9
      To eternity

Baal have mercy
      On such as we
      baa baa baa

Now poor little lambs
      Get back on your feet
      Lights cameras action
      Please take your seat

What we'll be seeing
      May make pressures rise
      What we want most
      Is no surprise

If Sam goes unnoticed
      Upon her return
      All of us here
      Will do a slow burn
      Baa Baa Baa

Bad vibes and feelings
      We must rearrange
      Waiting for Carter
      Is ever so strange

Season's not here yet
      But there's too much dread
      Black holes are sucking
      The life from this thread

Instead of condemning
      Let's show mercy instead
      Baa Baa Baa
      <<<<Kudos for making me laugh, Chopingal!>>>>

Ah, nothing like good self-mockery for our thread.. and it's so fitting, because AT is so good at it! And to do it in rhyme!

ChopinGal - you're literary creativity and wit continue to amaze me - thanks so much for posting this! Great fun - I was LOL... and seeing myself reflected in the words.

For ChopinGal:
      Special Royal Blue Jello, Artistic Style

Last edited by astrogeologist; 28 April 2005, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        That would be definitely cool, AD! And - great new Sam pic in your rotating pic pool (one of Sam looking sidways in Need, I think)
        Hehe, its been there since, well the beginning

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          If my opinion counts for anything, I don't see you as bashing Sam...I think that you're passionate in your debates...which is great because that's part of being a fan. You want to advocate for the object of your fandom.

We all here love Sam...sometimes we don't love everything she does...and that's cool because that means AT is doing a great job. We can't all possibly agree on the character's direction at the same time. That would be dull.

I've been up and down recently. Two days ago I was all Sam Gunho for Season 9...then I saw more teaser pics and got depressed. And today, I'm fine again.

But the truth is we are all just speculating and concerned and hopeful that we'll get the Sam we want next season, who's strong and passionate and funny...

...and leading SG-1.
          Great post, Uber... and so much more succint that the one I posted a few minutes ago!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
            Yay, Gracie! I totally agree. It should be fun to speculate about next season, not a drag. The speculation for the last few days on this thread has been pretty gloomy. I know a lot of that is because of the lack of Sam in all the official hype for next season and because of the unfortunate wardrobe choice for Vala shown in the only picture we've seen of her, but, let's lighten up! Not that long ago, people were airing wonderful ideas about what Sam might do in season 9, and all of a sudden, it's been gloom and doom.

Realistically, Amanda hasn't started filming yet, and hasn't been on set much, so it's not really surprising that we haven't heard a lot about her or Sam. They can't release episode pictures with Sam in them when they haven't been shot. And in terms of information about what Sam's role will be when she comes back, we all know how close-mouthed TPTB are when it comes to hints about upcoming episodes, and I for one am starting to appreciate that. I've decided to avoid spoilers as much as possible next season. I don't mind general descriptions of an episode, but I enjoy the show more when they manage to surprise me, even just a little. It's good to be able to say, "Whoa, I didn't see that coming." So I'm not going to complain that they aren't telling me now what Sam's up to while her teammates are either playing with Vala or rallying the free Jaffa ,and the new boy is feeling up the Stargate.

It's hard to wait until August or whenever she comes back, but I'm going to have faith that it's going to be good when she does and the anticipation will only make her return even sweeter.

So, after that rant, here's my contribution to positive speculation about next season. In one of the trailers for next season, isn't Cam is trying to convince Daniel to come back to SG1, and says something like I wanted to learn from the best? I'm going to view that as a sign that first of all Daniel didn't want to be on the team without Sam; and second, that Cam recognizes SG1 as the best team, which seems to be an indication of respect for Sam as their leader.

NC
            Thank you and thanks to Gracie too!!! Let's get back to praising our queen instead of fretting about what may or may not happen next season. PLEASE!!

Venting is cool, but we need more pics-me-ups in between. Otherwise the mood tends to get really dark really quick and I'd hate to see this thread slowly turn to the dark side.

Come on everybody!!!
            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 28 April 2005, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
              Yes, we have had a rather negative, cranky edge to our thread the past couple of days... I know that some folks have said that TPTB are scared because they will be starting the new season without their top male and female leads (RDA and AT), but I can't agree that they are scared... apprehensive - maybe... probably... but scared? I don't know about that... They've been doing this show for 8 years and that's a *long* time for a weekly series - I wouldn't be surprised if TPTB and the writers, directors and actors are excited about the new changes - excited about it being *new*.

And with the ratings that they had for the last two seasons, I can't imagine that they are worried about flopping - any more than they have been with any other season. Because, with a TV series, *any* season can be your last.

So who's really scared? I am. We are. Sam fans are scared. I admit it. I am sad and unhappy with the way that Sam's character was written over the past two seasons. I loved the strong female hero that was created in the first 5 seasons and the lack of balance in Sam's storylines in seasons 7 and 8... just makes me sad. I have no problem with ship - in fact, I want it and like it - properly done... but I am sad at how it was handled in Seasons 7 and 8 for Sam. I truly feel that Sam's character was sacrificed on the altar of ship - and that's *so* not how it's supposed to work in the 21st century!!

AT has been quoted as saying that she wanted Sam to get a boyfriend, but AT has also been quoted as saying that she has 'never wanted the character of Sam to be defined by her personal relationship'. In Season 8, Sam's personal relationship issues dominated Sam's effective screen time.

AT has also stated that she and the other actors don't want to be the perfect comic book heroes - saving the day every time and being perfect. That she and the other actors want to play a few scenes where their characters screw up or don't save the day. Perfectly understandable... so how to integrate that into a scifi series? Let them screw up or make mistakes, but then let them deal with the consequences and either fix the problem or find another solution (say, help folks evacuate instead of saving their planet from destruction). But let them deal with the consequences - and come out stronger on the other side of the ordeal.

In Season's 7 and 8, we saw a lot of Sam's vulnerabilities, errors and personal relationship issues - so much so that Professional, Competent Sam took a decided back-seat. That makes me sad.

So I admit that I'm scared that we won't get some great Sam in Season 9 to balance the vulnerable and personal scenes from Seasons 7 and 8.

And Uber said it so well, when she said 'there's a hole in my heart'... when seeing the new spoiler pics... with no Sam. It *does* hurt. Ow. I feel the same way.

The 'new directions' for the show... are mostly scary for me... because I don't know how Sam fits in... and she seems left out. NC and others (even myself) have pointed out in previous posts why this has to be this way (without any evil nefariousness from TPTB)... but it's still scary... and sad.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the beginning of Season 9 is a huge ratings success for Stargate SG-1. They may very successfully draw in a whole new crowd of fans and viewers. If they have great special effects, sweeping battles and great storylines - a lot of folks won't care who the actors are! As the episodes pass, the viewers and fans will become attached to the main characters - and will probably be wary and resistant when Sam comes back. *She'll* be the new, unfamiliar face. And as Strix said so perfectly in an earlier post, hopefully Sam won't be written in such a way as to make the ardent BB/Mitchell fans feel that Sam's character threatens or antagonizes their favorite - we just don't need that as the 'Welcome Back' for Sam or AT.

I don't know what TPTB are going to do with Sam's character... but as apprehensive as I am - I still have hope that they will do a great job for her (and us). That's why I like having us all post our ideas and hopes for Season 9 positive Sam scenes and storylines. My imagination spins off of those ideas and can create wonderful scenes in my mind.

For our thread, I like the way that we are generally positive and upbeat - and creative - I need that positive slant and outlook from the thread - I need to know that there's still hope and great possibilties for Sam still ahead. I also believe however, that we need to acknowledge our fears and that we should also be able to post and discuss things that we don't think went well for Sam in certain episodes or scenes... and then we can disagree with each other and hash things out.

I like the honest critiques and comments that we've had on this thread - not every single line written for Sam was great... every single thing she's done has not been how we'd like to have seen it... and we can talk about these things - I like the fact that this isn't a Sam's Perfect Thread (wouldn't that be hard to take?).

I have a bit of trouble when some of our posts get a bit too cranky, venomous or vitriolic, but I have to acknowledge that it's usually honest frustration that's being vented... and I can often empathize and agree with the feelings.

And as long as there are lots of other posts full of wonderful comments, great pics and humor... then there's plenty of room for the fears and frustrations.

I think I'm talking in a circle now... I hope that all made sense... or that at least some of it made sense...

At any rate, I love this thread... I love posting here and I love reading all of your posts. However, we have been pretty negative lately so we need to find some positive things to post so that the negatives don't swamp the thread.

Pics? Calling for all great AT or Sam pics?
              Your hopes for Season 9 and Sam? - let your imagination go and have fun with it...

Now that our Best Sam Episode Polls are over, what can we do to get folks onto some positive Sam topics and discussions? We have such creative and talented photoshoppers on this thread, what could we do with that?

Hey, AstroG,

I didn't realize to what extent you feel that Sam was protrayed in such an imbalanced way in seasons 7 and 8. I don't really perceive her character to be written in such an imbalanced way as you do---I think it just seems this way because there was much more focus on other sides of Sam, in addition to her usual brilliant, competent self in the last two seasons. I actually think she is more interesting and complex now than she was in say seasons 5 and 6 (and I liked Sam in these seasons very much too). The only huge fiasco for me is the Pete storyline, as many of us have discussed already, but the good news is, it's over. Yes, the writing of Sam could have been better, but I think that is true of ALL the characters in the last two seasons. Yet each character had some great moments, and there were some really good team moments as well.

I do know what you mean about being a bit worried about how Sam will fit in when she returns. (Yes, I am the one who was "floored" at Strix Varia's great post about this issue ). I've thought about it over the last few days (amongst the new pics/spoilers), and I think her return will be received well by fans because so many fans really like Carter. I have read numerous posts in some threads and other forums where fans will be really upset if Carter is not going to lead SG-1. I think AT is extremely popular with fans and will not be sidelined. I think also she is so highly thought of by TPTB, also making the chance of Sam Carter being sidelined very slim. They know that they would be making a big mistake if they do this. I also think that "ship" of any sort will not be the focus for Sam -- been there, done that. So, season nine is really a great opportunity for Sam to be written consistently as the brilliant scientist, kickbutt, Lt. Colonel. The return of Carter will be like a breath of fresh air (even if the show is doing well).

Strix Varia---thanks so much for the wonderful samfic links. And thanks to so many for such great pics, and I am as well in awe of Chopingal's and Coley's literary skills.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                The Whiffenpoof Song from a time long, long ago

We're poor Stargate lambs
                Who have gone astray
                Baa Baa Baa

We're lost without Sam
                And full of dismay
                Baa Baa Baa

Gents and ladies
                All without glee
                Condemning Season 9
                To eternity

Baal have mercy
                On such as we
                baa baa baa

Now poor little lambs
                Get back on your feet
                Lights cameras action
                Please take your seat

What we'll be seeing
                May make pressures rise
                What we want most
                Is no surprise

If Sam goes unnoticed
                Upon her return
                All of us here
                Will do a slow burn
                Baa Baa Baa

Bad vibes and feelings
                We must rearrange
                Waiting for Carter
                Is ever so strange

Season's not here yet
                But there's too much dread
                Black holes are sucking
                The life from this thread

Instead of condemning
                Let's show mercy instead
                Baa Baa Baa
                BRAVO CHOPINGAL!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                  Oh, well, I want to contribute something, although melting people's brains wasn't exactly on my agenda, no. I don't do photo manips; I have no way of doing screen grabs from DVDs; I'm not witty enough to come up with wonderful and funny photo captions. But I can surf the web to find Sam whumping stories! And since people seem to appreciate it...
                  You forgot the fact that you write really great Sam fanfic!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    I didn't mean for you to take this as an insult or a nasty comment. I guess I didn't word it very well. I think it is safe to say we are open to all kinds of posts. I enjoy your style.
                    Don't worry - I did not read it as nasty or insulting, it was actually kind of a cute post but in context with how I feel, along with some other of the comments about negativity, it just helped solidify my original thoughts that I am getting to negative about the show, TPTB, the characters direction, etc., (with no help coming from real life situations right now either) so I do need to step off. Thanks though.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      You forgot the fact that you write really great Sam fanfic!!!
                      Seconded!

So... whens the next piece coming out?

Comment

Totally Off-topic, but there is a fly in my room pestering me to no end.
                        Where is a P-90 or some C-4 when you really need it??? Arg!!

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                          I may be contributing to the negative vibes here (I actually thought, as I wrote a few of my lasts posts, that they were awfully negative but went ahead anyway and probably shouldn't have but I am in that place of disappointment and negative vibes about TPTB, the direction of the show in general, etc., and that just reflects in my posts), therefore, for the sake of those here, as I am becoming more and more cynical as time goes and my disappointment does not dissipate, I will back away and see where it goes . . . .

I hope no one has taken anything I said as bashing Carter - I do not intend to bash this character as I believe Carter is one of the best female characters we have seen on TV in a long time and I hope that TPTB do the right thing by Carter/AT, and all of her/their loyal, wonderful fans, in S9.
                          oh, bink, my friend, don't worry about it. some of us are just riding the mood swing that the ptb are pushing behind us. you didn't create the mood, only voiced your opinion.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Hey.. I'm new here, just wanted to raise my hand as a Carter fan... all hail Sam!

I'm sorry I don't have anything more intelligent than that to offer till my head stops spinning while I go through this awesome thread......

But rock on Sam..
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                              AT starts filming, I believe, this upcoming Monday. Why doesn't everyone just cool their jets a bit, and stop with the wild speculations about who will command the team, what was Sam's reason for being gone, etc, etc. We'll find out, I'm sure, before August (if you read spoilers) and if not, then by August.

throw a topic out.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                                This pretty much confirms for me that I will indeed need to back off this for now - it is, afterall, just TV and that's all it is. Thanks to all for the lively discussion. If this funk I am in (partly brought on by real life too) departs I may return to continue the discussions but if I do not come back in the near future thanks for all of your thoughts and insights it was fun. See ya.
                                i hope you come back soon, bink. with all the *wonderful* private discussions we've had, and how you've been such a good friend to me...

(((bink)))

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X