• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    Great link for Gemini, Sally, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      With all the discussions regarding Janet and Jacob over the past few days, I found myself compelled to made another collage. It's not quite what I had intended, but it's not too bad.

Someone watching over me

Warning: This photo does suggest spoilers for S8.
      Kat
      Absolutely beautiful, Kat!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        OK, now I'm jealous of Ms. Gibson!
        everyone is jealous of thomasina

she's a good writer who has a great relationship with the studio
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          everyone is jealous of thomasina

she's a good writer who has a great relationship with the studio
          I'm not too picky... I don't need a great relationship with the studio.
          I'd be more than happy with just a friendly relationship with Amanda.

Kat

Comment

Oh Yea Times

Written by Coley and Contributions from ChopinGal. Edited, and wisely censored by ChopinGal

The Queen has a Princess!

Just like the Oh Yea Times it is better late than never and lovely little Olivia arrived a week overdue and the Kingdom of Samanda was awash with cheer and goodwill for the family

It is hoped that the Royal Photographer and Nanny may soon provide a photo of the little cherub. The palace has been bustling since her birth ... nappies blowing on the clothesline and all sorts of gifts arriving at the Gate. Nanny has reported that the small staff weapons and other alien playthings will have to be set aside until Olivia is old enough to be trained in their proper use. Baby has already taken a liking to the small flying objects on her mobile. Seems to get very excited when the Queen recites stories of her previous adventures.

All our best wishes to the Royal Family!

Samanda Citizenship Grows

The official census taker – Skydiver has reported that the permanent residents of Samanda have almost doubled over the past month. The population growth has been welcomed by the Royal Accountant as great financial news for the kingdom, the Court Jester has increased her chances of actually getting a laugh, the Head of Security has extended his team to a total of 3 strapping chaps and consequently he is feeling much more safe – beware the trolls, The Royal Nanny is getting excited about the prospect of more business, said Royal Nanny – ForeverSG1, Astrogeologist and UberSG1Fan have got an increased customer base for their excellent photo manipulations and screen captures, the Vice President is in glee that the longevity of the thread seems to be more or less guaranteed, The Queen can only be pleased at the growth in her Kingdom and the President is roaming the land taking all the credit (as Presidents do)!
            With new visitors occasionally venturing to post on the thread it is hoped this growth rate will continue apace.

Stargate Inauguration Day – 1speed4Sam

The day started off well, 1speed actually arrived on time at my humble abode, and yet more glee - the sun was shining yet a stiff easterly breeze guaranteed that 1s would stay out of his Lycra.

The day was a trade – 1s enjoys the company of a like minded Lancastrian out on the Yorkshire moors (safety in pairs when we cross the border!) and I, on behalf of the kingdom, get to break the chaps duck by showing the film that started the whole thing off – Stargate The Movie!!!
            The idea for this trade was that 1s would be suitably tired at the end of the day to happily relax in front of the telly for a couple of hours without protest, but not too tired to fall asleep in the middle of what is generally accepted as being an unnecessarily long movie.

The route chosen by 1s was mixed terrain and provided plenty of lung busting ascents for the mid-life-crisis-bearing single speed owner. He actually stunned me into silence as he pulled away on many of the ascents (Boy I must do better next time). The ride was largely uneventful apart from me testing my unplanned dismount technique whilst freewheeling downhill. I was pleased with my graceful display and by the look of glee on 1s’s face he was pleased too. I escaped without serious injury but with barbed sarcasm ringing in my ears most of the way back to the car.

Wash and clean up time back at base and then put my culinary skills into practice with a much relied upon recipe which can be found in a later article.

I proceeded, over tea, to explain the nature of the Kingdom in more detail, the citizens and their characters and of course a dose of what makes Sam Carter and Amanda Tapping so special. Once tea was consumed 1s excused himself under the premise of getting something out of the car. Knowing full well his escape plan would be foiled as I had placed my car right behind his I casually asked him if he “needed an aspirin already?” and the snarky response was “No my ear plugs!” Feelings hurt I knew plan b would have to be brought into action

The movie!! 1s was placed in prime viewing location and then under plan b (advised by the Court Jester) was firmly tied down to prevent premature departure!

You can catch 1s’s summary of the events of the day on the forum thread a few pages back!! Suffice to say COTG will be showing before the end of May and there is an open invite if anyone wishes to join us!

Samandan Radio – The Accountants Gig

Calling all you music fans out there the all new Samandan radio station will shortly be hitting the airwaves. Currently the only volunteer for the guest DJ spot is the much maligned Royal Accountant and here she is with a low-down of what to expect.

“Well folks I wanted to keep the show on Stargate and Sam topic and we’ve got a right Royal feast of songs lined up for you over the coming weeks. In the first show is a tribute to the much loved season 1 episode “Solitudes” and we’ll be playing a selection of appropriate tunes to fit the theme. Already lined up next to the turntable are”:

just us - Chuck Loeb
            I shiver - Robert Cray
            Snowfall - Chris Connor
            Cheek to cheek - Eva Cassidy
            Together alone - Crowded House
            Cool love - Chris Isaac
            Hole in the ice - Neil Finn
            Shakin' all over - Van Morrison
            Sugar coated iceberg - The Lightening Seeds
            Antarctica - Vangelis
            Shiver - Coldplay
            The freeze - Spandau Ballet
            Keep me from the cold - Curtis Stigers

“In addition we have a selection of tunes to the theme of Stargate Characters and this selection includes:-“

The Goa’uld – Golden Eye - Tina Turner
            Replicarter – Evil Woman – ELO
            Daniel Jackson – How to be Dead – Snow Patrol
            Teal’c – Deep and Wide and Tall – Aztec Camera
            SGC Personnel – Life’s an Elevator – Trex

“And in response to some recent posts”

To the SG1 Guys – It ain’t the Meat it’s the Motion – by Maria Muldar

“So guys and gals make sure you make a note in your diary – every Friday night at 7.30 GMT to tune in to Samandan Radio somewhere on medium wave”!

Recipe of the Week

Serves 2 after active day

Ikg Courgettes (zuchinni)
            Clove of Garlic
            Olive Oil
            Crème Fraiche
            Fresh Parmesan cheese
            Pasta twists (2 servings)

Cut courgettes into thin slices, gently heat desert spoon of olive oil in a large pan, add crushed garlic and the courgettes, gently fry, add salt to bring out the juices.

(Meanwhile add 2 portions of pasta twists to pan and cook)

Fry until courgettes turn to mush, remove from heat, add 3 desert spoons of crème freche (or to taste) and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese (or to taste)
            Return to heat and just bring to bubbling. Mix with pasta and serve.

Public Health Notice:

Are you feeling sluggish and out of sorts? Wearing more camouflage than usual? Have a sudden attachment to black T-shirts? Sometimes edgy and dreaming of large rings of water and flying objects? You may need to see the Royal Physician as it has been noted that there seems to be a recent epidemic of SDS in the kingdom.

Stargate Deprivation Syndrome occurs seasonally, especially during the change of the season months of March through June. Normally good-natured citizens take a turn for the worse, become quite surly and have been known to accost each other on the streets. The Royal Head of Security has more arrests for unruly behaviour at this time of year than any other.

The Royal Physician can prescribe mild sedatives and anti-depressants to calm the jitters. Self medication with sloe gin fizz and spiked blue jello are also a good remedy. A heavy dose of select fanfic also works as a short-term cure. By late July, the symptoms seem to lessen; however, this year, it may take considerably longer as the Queen twill be not available to her public until August or September.

Jester’s Joke of the Week

So! 2 nuns driving down the road in Transylvania and all of a sudden a great big scary Vampire jumps out right in front of the car. So the nun driving says to the other “Quick show him your cross!, show him your cross!!” so she winds down the window, leans out and says “Get out of the way you toothy so-and-so!”

Book club

How We Learned to Love Slash by Strix and CarterSlave

Surviving the Mirth of a Court Jester by the Royal Accountant

Where Angels Fear to Tread – by The Jester – docu biography on the Keeper of the Flame. How one woman has single handedly kept all strands of a forum thread together

The Sound of Silence – by Nearly Circular – How to tag music and dialogue to screen caps

Where Do I Go From Here – By Skydiver. A Series of short musings on what to do now the Sam polls have ended.

Safe Landings and Sarcasm – by The Royal Accountant – My Life on a Mountain Bike

Coping with Denial – By Jcfan – the intermittent SAGCT poster bears her soul on coping day-to-day with constant cravings for the SAGCT.

It Shouldn’t Happen to a Vet – By Coley – A less than serious account of the recent enforced exile from SAGCT, coping with withdrawals, anxiety attacks on post build up, the support of thread posters, frustration with all things internet, installation of Firefox and finally the homecoming via the purchase of a new computer.

How to be a Stargate Groupie - by MajorSam

Final Quotes

For those on this side of the pond enduring the serial lying season in the run up to the General Election we have:-

“An honest politician is one who, when he is bought, will stay bought” – Simon Cameron

One for Stargate

“An actor should be able to create the Universe in the palm of his hand” – Laurence Sterne

Finally one that I currently treasure:-

“Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one!” - A. J. Liebling

Unless they install ChopinGal as Ed’!

Lost and Found

Found - Man's black sleeveless T-shirt, Size XXL, in back of The Old Hags Inn
            Last edited by Coley; 27 April 2005, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Hope everyone enjoys the latest edition of the Oh Yea Times.

In addition to writing a couple of the articles ChopinGal also gently explained that brazen brit humour doesn't always travel well accross the pond (something to do with a capture caption [posted whilst I was under some emotional trauma and possible not thinking straight I'd like to say in my defence] which I have now edited with head hung in shame). So the gentle Gal clipped and trimmed the Oh Yea Times for me, so many thanks Jester!!

I'm off on holiday tomorrow climbing mountains and mountain biking hopefully with no flying - so I will catch up with you all in about a week or so's time!

Happy posting!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                Hope everyone enjoys the latest edition of the Oh Yea Times.

In addition to writing a couple of the articles ChopinGal also gently explained that brazen brit humour doesn't always travel well accross the pond (something to do with a capture caption [posted whilst I was under some emotional trauma and possible not thinking straight I'd like to say in my defence] which I have now edited with head hung in shame). So the gentle Gal clipped and trimmed the Oh Yea Times for me, so many thanks Jester!!

I'm off on holiday tomorrow climbing mountains and mountain biking hopefully with no flying - so I will catch up with you all in about a week or so's time!

Happy posting!
                Coley, dear friend, you made the deadline before leaving for Wales! A yeoman's job and many, many beans to our royal editor/accountant!

Fellow Samandans, to give you an idea of "cross-pond-translations" - those abroad would take the Jester's Joke and see "you toothy git" - I didn't have a clue what "git" meant so advised something more like "old codger or old man" - I'm now LOL because Coley has now written "toothy so-and-so" - I see two nuns trying to be "cross" - and their mean-spirited punchline is so watered down because of my interfering with the freedom of Coley's English! "Take that you toothy so-and-so" - it's even funnier now with the attempt to make it stronger. My bad! Now we know why the United Nations can never quite come to a universal understanding of a world problem!

Mostly all of this delightful Oh Yea Times has been written by Coley and what a fun effort it is! I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that Coley, baby - it's great to have you back humming along on your new computer!

Have a safe and wonderful trip! Enjoy the mountain scenery and bring us back some tall tales (as only you can deliver)! We'll try to get on without you, but it won't be the same.

CG/Jester
                Last edited by ChopinGal; 27 April 2005, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                  At the Vancouver con several different people talked about Amanda bringing Olivia to the set a couple of weeks ago - they said that they were to start shoting the first episode that she will be in for the season before she is back so they will do like they have done the last couple of seasons with RDA and use her stand-in to start filming and then when she is back they will do her scenes. I did hear that Thomasina Gibson was in town to do some work and was staying with Amanda so maybe she will do an article on her soon.
                  This is very good news! For those who don't recognize her name, Thomasina is a British journalist/writer who has written all volumes of Stargate SG1 Illustrated Companions. She writes quite well and even got to appear in one of the later episodes (Full Circle I believe) with her young son.

I could see AT hosting her during a Vancouver stay ... lucky Thomasina will get to see AT in her newest, and most important, role: momma to Olivia! Really hope that we get to share some of that experience soon in a magazine article or final copy of the next Illustrated Companion due out in July. It would be the icing on the cake!

Cake?! Did someone say cake?

Comment

The GateWorld Forum Gods Hate Me!!!!!! I will try this post yet again (fourth time today)...

I finally saw Gemini. Yes, a friend burned me a CD with it on it, and I couldn't wait til Friday. And I just have to say, I thought this episode was great! AT's performance was brilliant! The writing was awesome; the plot was gripping; and the characters were true.

Yes, I thought Sam was written right on target. I didn't think she did a single thing out of character, nor did I think her actions were stupid. Sam has shown time and time again that she gives people (and replicators) the benefit of the doubt. She did it for Hailey, Hailey's class of SGC cadets, Felger, Fifth, and now Replicarter. I think it is one of her admirable qualities that even after all she has been through, she is still not so cynical, mistrusting, and suspicious that she can't feel empathy for others. Yes, in this case her compassion turned out to be misplaced, but I would have been disappointed if she had blown Replicarter away the minute she stepped through the gate without giving her a chance at redemption. That is not the Sam Carter I know and love. This was.

As somebody on this thread pointed out before (Skydiver?), Replicarter knew exactly how to manipulate Sam. She knew how to gain Sam's empathy and trust. She knew how to exploit Sam's scientific curiosity. The writing was done beautifully to demonstrate this happening. It set up this marvelous contrast between the best of Sam's very human qualities (her compassion, her empathy, her thirst for knowledge and desire to protect Earth) and Replicarter's heartless ruthlessness in the face of what she (Replicarter) perceived as human weaknesses. It was cruel replicator logic versus human emotion, and I think anyone who saw Sam's actions (driven by the very essence of her humanity) as being stupid... well, to me, they kind of missed the whole point of the story.

When we start killing things without giving them a chance or the benefit of the doubt, we lose our humanity. Yeah, this time it came back and bit Sam on the butt; she made a mistake, but that's the beautiful irony of it all. Humans sometimes make mistakes because they care, and Replicartor won this round because she didn't have that "flaw."

The only thing that disappointed me about this episode was the anticlimactic demise of Fifth. He just kind of disappeared from the screen. I wish they had done something like show the sky above the Alpha Site with a meteor shower of disintigrating replicator blocks burning into dust in the atmosphere. Fifth was a wonderfully sympathetic villian who deserved better than a bland fade-out at the end.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      I got the sense that Bregman was waiting as close as he could to the gateroom...that hallway...to get the first on the scene interview with whoever he could. In this case, it was Sam.

I think this is Sam coming directly from the gateroom. She already knows about Janet (because she died instantly) and it took a long time for them to secure the gate's perimeter long enough for the evac.

She however does not know how Jack is...so we're seeing the anger at Bregman for getting into her face while she's trying to deal with an incredibly personal loss and possibly bracing herself for another. She didn't have time to take in what had happened yet; and although Sam is a distinguished officer who understands the cost of war and has to deal with loss all the time, the wounds were just so fresh...literally moments after the high-pitched reality of the battlefield. And that's what we saw...the kneejerk reaction to losing her best friend and the fear she felt that she'd lose Jack too.
                      Yeah, that was pretty much my take on it, too.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                        The GateWorld Forum Gods Hate Me!!!!!! I will try this post yet again (fourth time today)...

I finally saw Gemini. Yes, a friend burned me a CD with it on it, and I couldn't wait til Friday. And I just have to say, I thought this episode was great! AT's performance was brilliant! The writing was awesome; the plot was gripping; and the characters were true.

Yes, I thought Sam was written right on target. I didn't think she did a single thing out of character, nor did I think her actions were stupid. Sam has shown time and time again that she gives people (and replicators) the benefit of the doubt. She did it for Hailey, Hailey's class of SGC cadets, Felger, Fifth, and now Replicarter. I think it is one of her admirable qualities that even after all she has been through, she is still not so cynical, mistrusting, and suspicious that she can't feel empathy for others. Yes, in this case her compassion turned out to be misplaced, but I would have been disappointed if she had blown Replicarter away the minute she stepped through the gate without giving her a chance at redemption. That is not the Sam Carter I know and love. This was.

As somebody on this thread pointed out before (Skydiver?), Replicarter knew exactly how to manipulate Sam. She knew how to gain Sam's empathy and trust. She knew how to exploit Sam's scientific curiosity. The writing was done beautifully to demonstrate this happening. It set up this marvelous contrast between the best of Sam's very human qualities (her compassion, her empathy, her thirst for knowledge and desire to protect Earth) and Replicarter's heartless ruthlessness in the face of what she (Replicarter) perceived as human weaknesses. It was cruel replicator logic versus human emotion, and I think anyone who saw Sam's actions (driven by the very essence of her humanity) as being stupid... well, to me, they kind of missed the whole point of the story.

When we start killing things without giving them a chance or the benefit of the doubt, we lose our humanity. Yeah, this time it came back and bit Sam on the butt; she made a mistake, but that's the beautiful irony of it all. Humans sometimes make mistakes because they care, and Replicartor won this round because she didn't have that "flaw."

The only thing that disappointed me about this episode was the anticlimactic demise of Fifth. He just kind of disappeared from the screen. I wish they had done something like show the sky above the Alpha Site with a meteor shower of disintigrating replicator blocks burning into dust in the atmosphere. Fifth was a wonderfully sympathetic villian who deserved better than a bland fade-out at the end.
                        I think back to several examples of her being empathetic.

In Urgo, she was concerned because she believed that Urgo was demonstrating the traits of something that was alive. She and Daniel both pleaded Urgo's case, and I think it was because of her misgivings, Jack was pushed into asking if Urgo could be spared.

In Entity...Jack wanted to blow the thing to kingdom come, but Sam and Daniel believed that there was an intelligence there desperately trying to make contact with them. A few lines stick out for me...

SAM: Sir, I agree with Daniel. This is a life form, obviously intelligent. Now we have been in the exact same position as this alien entity I don't know how many times. On another planet, cut off from our world, trying to stay alive.

And then later, as Daniel is trying to convince Teal'c and Jack that, even though things didn't turn out the way they wanted, Sam was right to try to make contact with the being.

DANIEL: Okay, I know your first instinct is to protect, both of you, that's your job, that's what you do but…no matter what happens, no matter how this turns out, Sam wasn't wrong to try to communicate with it.

Replicarter knew these things about Sam. She knew that Sam's first instinct is empathy and compassion...to at least make an effort to try to find an understanding.

And she knew how to manipulate Sam by bringing up memories special to her:

SAM: You have memories of my past that go back before I met Fifth?
                        REPLICARTER: Yes, but it's hard to explain. My first memory is of waking up in that room, suddenly becoming conscious, but I immediately knew how to talk. Soon, other memories started coming to me -- little things -- stories; songs; the smell of the attic in the house where we used to live; the day my mother died. (She looks up at the camera.) I know it's not real. I've never even set foot on Earth, but I have this image of lying under the willow tree in our back yard. It's a sunny day, but when I close my eyes, the wind in the leaves sounds exactly like rain. (Sam says the words "exactly like rain" along with her.)
                        REPLICARTER: What Fifth didn't realise was the things that drew him to you were inseparable from the things that made you reject him and the life he was offering.
                        SAM: So you rejected him too.

Replicarter knew that by tying in memories from Sam's life and linking them to herself, she was in fact also humanizing herself in Sam's eyes. It's much easier to be empathetic with someone who shares your memories and feelings as opposed to a mechanical bug that had no concept of emotions.

In order for Replicarter to succeed, she had to make Sam feel as though they shared a deep connection, make her empathetic to her point of view and even champion her to Jack and the others, which of course she did.

Sam's not stupid nor is she naive; but because Replicarter knew everything about Sam and what made her tick...it was very easy for her to trick her by using one of her strengths - her empathetic nature - against her.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                          At the Vancouver con several different people talked about Amanda bringing Olivia to the set a couple of weeks ago - they said that they were to start shoting the first episode that she will be in for the season before she is back so they will do like they have done the last couple of seasons with RDA and use her stand-in to start filming and then when she is back they will do her scenes. I did hear that Thomasina Gibson was in town to do some work and was staying with Amanda so maybe she will do an article on her soon.
                          As a Sam fan and as a Jack/Sam shipper, right now I've got an empty spot in my heart...

Seeing those pictures from Avalon and the painful absence of Sam.

I mean, intellectually, I know she's not going to be there. But here they are, moving the show into a whole new direction and their most important cast member is no where in sight...

She's off somewhere doing something...hopefully something really cool and important...

But as neat as it'll be to see Jack and watch him say goodbye to the gang (hopefully he'll come around often), it's going to be tough watching the first few eps without Sam around.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                            It was cruel replicator logic versus human emotion, and I think anyone who saw Sam's actions (driven by the very essence of her humanity) as being stupid... well, to me, they kind of missed the whole point of the story.
                            Great post about Gemini Strix! Glad you kept trying and were successful on the 4th post attempt. I agree 100% with your comments about Sam and RC – well stated. And poor Fifth, poof and he’s gone....

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                              By all accounts, Davis & Rothery are dear, wonderful people IRL—and it is impossible to overstate what they bring to Stargate. Make that "brought." It breaks my heart that they are no longer on the show. That's life ... but it doesn't mean I have to like it.
                              Yeah, and as chipper as I was yesterday about SG-1, I seem to be in the dumps today.

No Hammond.

No Janet.

No Jack.

No Sam for the first several eps.

What show is this again?

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                With all the discussions regarding Janet and Jacob over the past few days, I found myself compelled to made another collage. It's not quite what I had intended, but it's not too bad.

Someone watching over me

Warning: This photo does suggest spoilers for S8.
                                Kat
                                That's a beaut of a collage.

I think we'll have to sustain ourselves for a while on collages, videos and fan fic for the next several months...

Comment

Working...
                                X