No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't find the original post, so please excuse the appearance of the quote below. But I have to strongly disagree with Strix's statement that:

[QUOTE]
    Originally Posted by Strix varia
    I think Carterslave and I are the only ones who really get it. After all, Sam is really a closet lesbian, and Janet is her soul mate.[QUOTE]

This observation falls into the category of seeing the ship you want to see. I've never observed anything to indicate that Sam is gay; openly or otherwise. As well as we now know her true feelings about the issues in her life, I think we would know this too. Sam went looking for Pete not to conform to what society expected of her; but to try to free herself from the true love she thought she could never obtain with Jack. If she were gay, it would have been more effective to seek out a woman in her attempts to move on. She certainly wouldn't have gone looking for another man, especially one as pathetic as Pete.

Yes, Sam loved Janet, but as a friend. Frankly, I'm a little surprised to hear this discussion here. It's usually men who feel the necessity to cast any strong woman as a lesbian.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
      I just read it as well and this quote about AT wanting to explore more of Carter's relationships just scares me to death: "More of her relationships -- more of her interpersonal relationships, because I think they define her as a woman and as a soldier, and how she deals with those relationships. There's a lot of loose ends, and they're all relationship driven." I can think of several but other than Cassie the ones that jump to my mind (that are possible) would continue, IMO, to carry this character downward. The word relationship when used in context of this show in general scares me because, IMO, TPTB su*k at writing it.
      Amen. I'm sure as an actor AT wants to do more than spout technical stuff, but hasn't she learned to be careful what she wishes for with these writers? Maybe we will get more *team* relationship stuff. Little moments where they talk to each other and we see their (nonromantic) bond? Sam affected by the fallout of loss, *but still professional and in charge*? Could the writers find a way to convey, yes, I'm affected by all this loss and pain, but I can still do my job?

Comment

I'm with you, jckfan55! That's the kind of personal interaction I would like to see for Sam this new season.

Comment

Woohoo! I just passed my 100th post!

I'm now a Jaffa Warrior!

Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
            What about Sam's brother? that's an area that has only slightly been touched on and Sam is an
            Auntie so that could be some of the relationships that Sam could show us in how she
            is dealing with all that has happened to her.
            Excellent point! Does her brother buy the cover story that she works on satellites? As I keep saying, sometimes working in references to life outside the base would do the trick for me.
            Daniel: so how did the visit go? Sam: It was great. Those kids kept me busy the whole weekend. You know, ever since Dad...I've been really making it a point to spend more time with my brother and the kids. I have a lot to thank Selmak for. Without him, we may never have gotten this close again."

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              Amen. I'm sure as an actor AT wants to do more than spout technical stuff, but hasn't she learned to be careful what she wishes for with these writers? Maybe we will get more *team* relationship stuff. Little moments where they talk to each other and we see their (nonromantic) bond? Sam affected by the fallout of loss, *but still professional and in charge*? Could the writers find a way to convey, yes, I'm affected by all this loss and pain, but I can still do my job?
              Sam has lost a lot of people over the past several years. She is now, for all intents and purposes the "mother figure" in Cassie's life, now Janet's gone. She has her brother and his family. She has her friends and comrades on base.

Interpersonal relationships can mean a ton of things...that's not just necessarily tied to J/S. And sure, for Carter, there is the el shippo aspect with Jack...(and I'm not directing this to you jckfan55 because you know I love ya, I'm just throwing this out there just for thinking's sake)...I think the irony is the act of complaining that she's being defined by that relationship in itself has a way of defining her that way. Because even as a J/S shipper who likes that aspect of her life, it is only a very small part of what I love and admire about her character.

In fact, there is so much to her character beyond any romantic relationship...whether it be Martouf or Jack or Pete...or whoever!

I think what she's talking about has to do with the basic premise I've really been pushing in my mind, which is the Roddenberry approach to SciFi (and good storytelling, for that matter). If you focus only on the technology or the special effects or heaven forbid the sexed-up factor (a la Lexx) then a show becomes campy and shallow.

I believe AT basically conveying the same principle...that with all the neat story arcs and weapons and ships, it is all about the team and their experiences and relationships...not only with each other but with the loved ones in their lives.

How will things change for her personally next season? Will she come to terms with the difficult losses she's had? How is she coping with losing her best friend and her Dad? These are tough things to deal with in a normal person's life...but she's got so much more pressure built up on her than most people on earth. At some point, the pressure's going to build up...

That's why I thought it was interesting in New Order when Fifth
              Spoiler:
              chose to show Sam his vision of her life after she had to leave the program due to too much stress. Whereas I don't see her on a farm like that
              it does make sense that at some point she will need to decompress.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

Interpersonal relationships can mean a ton of things...that's not just necessarily tied to J/S. And sure, for Carter, there is the el shippo aspect with Jack...(and I'm not directing this to you jckfan55 because you know I love ya, I'm just throwing this out there just for thinking's sake)...I think the irony is the act of complaining that she's being defined by that relationship in itself has a way of defining her that way. Because even as a J/S shipper who likes that aspect of her life, it is only a very small part of what I love and admire about her character.

In fact, there is so much to her character beyond any romantic relationship...whether it be Martouf or Jack or Pete...or whoever!
                Good point.

{QUOTE]
                I think what she's talking about has to do with the basic premise I've really been pushing in my mind, which is the Roddenberry approach to SciFi (and good storytelling, for that matter). If you focus only on the technology or the special effects or heaven forbid the sexed-up factor (a la Lexx) then a show becomes campy and shallow.

I believe AT basically conveying the same principle...that with all the neat story arcs and weapons and ships, it is all about the team and their experiences and relationships...not only with each other but with the loved ones in their lives.

[/QUOTE]
                Good point.
                After looking at the *context* of the interview quote it seems she was basically referring to Cassie. So I may have gotten hot and bothered about another misbegotten boyfriend arc. I'm not down on the *idea* of Sam having a personal life, I just haven't always been entirely pleased with how they've handled it. BTW, I didn't think the writers did a great job with Teal'c and his neighbor/girlfriend either.

Comment

Perhaps "boys" is the key word here.
                  and not just boys. take the Other Guys for example. Anyone else but me see Felger as the ultimate Marty Sue? The geek that gets accepted into the cool team and ends up saving the day, getting a kiss and a medal to boot???

As much fun as it was, and y es, i did laugh out loud while i watched it and do count it in among the more enjoyable eps, Other Guys was nothing more than y our cheesiest Martysue fic brought to life.

and we're seeing more and more of that. not just the fanboy ideas coming to the screen, but the fanboy ideas not even trying to be meshed in to the real continuity.

I was cool with Other guys when it looked like it was all a dream, but then it became apparant that it really happened

That's part of my issue with teh direction that the show is taking as a whole. it's not the new ideas, it's how those new ideas are being integrated into the show's continuity.

Just like i had no issue with sam getting a life, it's how she got a life. it's that pete, who didn't quite act like a good guy, not getting whacked for being a crumb, he got a kiss and invited into the inner circle. More MartySue attitudes and Sam was sacrificed and made to look like a doormat to facilitate that

With the general idea of chimera, they had a fantistic opportunity to deal with things. such as how long can cheyenne mountain keep losing folks in training accidents? how do families deal with dad going to work under a mountain in January and coming home with a tan? how does huggy explain a staff weapon burn to his wife?

they had the opportunity to deal with this in chimera but instead took the easy way out to marty sue Pete
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                    This observation falls into the category of seeing the ship you want to see.
                    folks do and can see what they want to see

take 48 hours for example. the scene where jack comes to see sam in the control room as she's trying to figure things out.

ok, is jack worried for sam working too hard to get her friend, teal'c back?
                    is jack worried for sam working too hard getting her lover, teal'c back?
                    is jack worried for sam working too hard getting his friend teal'c back?
                    is jack worried for sam working too hard getting his lover tela'c back?

any/all of the above could be interpreted by anyone. people see what they want to see.

the scene in Prometheus Unbound, where jack and teal'c fought with simmons, i've seen some folks call that the slashiest eps ever while others simply call that look between them as a profound 'you just saved my six dude' look

the same with threads. shippers squee and call it proof, while i've also seen the jack/daniel fans call the scene where daniel descends into jack's office as proof positive that jack was glad to get his partner back and that he coulnd't take his eyes off him

again, folks see what they want to see

sigpic

Comment

Oh here goes - maybe this will be my first post with my new computer?!!

Right I shall jump right in with the posts on this page.

Re the other Guys - I didn't think it was supposed to be a serious episode at all. I think it was just the writers taking the proverbial. And the way I sort of viewed it they were taking the proverbial out of geeky guys with crushes, not smart women in responsible positions. Having said all that I didn't like the end scene either - It made Felger look all too sad. In reality I think Sam Carter would be the sort of woman many, many men would fall for, but never ask out - and yes I agree mainly because a lot of men feel very intimidated by strong women. After all it means they would have to forgoe the dominant role!!
                      Guys feel free to jump in and disagree - we all view things differently

The Other Guys was just a romp and I've put that and avenger and a couple of others to one side in terms of "real" Stargate. I really enjoyed these two (last scene in Avenger aside too) and would quite like Felger to pop up again!

Comment

i would love to see felger again. and i'm like you, i liked citizen joe, PU, avenger and Other guys. and i file them all away as silly quirkyness and fun to watch.

and on their own, they're decent tv.

the only issue i have with them is that they don't fit in with the rest of the show. and they don't seem to try to make them fit in.

take window of opportunity for example, it was fun and quirky but pains were taken to fit it in with the rest of the show. it was a time anomaly and while they had fun, none of it really happened

with the other guys, they could have had the whole thing be felger's dream, which would have explained it all

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          the only issue i have with them is that they don't fit in with the rest of the show. and they don't seem to try to make them fit in.

take window of opportunity for example, it was fun and quirky but pains were taken to fit it in with the rest of the show. it was a time anomaly and while they had fun, none of it really happened

with the other guys, they could have had the whole thing be felger's dream, which would have explained it all
                          Yes. The Felger episodes were funny but I file them into the "it didn't really happen" drawer. I don't mind this kind of episode--but very *sparingly.*

Comment

Uber, many thanks for the link to the songs. I'm awaiting to install speakers in the new kit, I've made a not of the page and I will go back. I'm very curious!!

Comment

Forum is playing up again!

Sky I agree with you it would have been funnier for it to have been a dream. Maybe they wanted a factual base for the character to bring him back - that's the only explanation I can come up with!

Comment

Yes. The Felger episodes were funny but I file them into the "it didn't really happen" drawer. I don't mind this kind of episode--but very *sparingly.*
                                yeah. once, maybe twice a season, as a diversion. it'd be fun.

week to week?????

yeah, well, whatever. teh only thing under my control is my off switch

and i know how to use it

now, as much fun as this is, we don't want to annoy folks with our off topic now do we? It's probably better suited to the anti-s9 thread

how about sam?

what do we thing s9 has in hold for her?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X