Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsaxlady
    Here is another tid-bit from Vancouver Con - Question was asked during Martin W., Andy M. & N.John S. panel about changes/support of Sony since the take over of MGM - They said that the head of the division of Sony that deals with Stargate is a huge fan of the show - One of the first things he wanted after Sony acquired MGM was to visit the set and He ended up doing a walk on part for the episode they were filming when he visited.
    That's great news! I was wondering how that might affect the show, but it almost sounds like it might be a good thing.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      It's kinda funny that Carmen would say that about Sam, Jack and Daniel because it's completely different from the message sent in Threads, where we clearly saw Jacob counsel his daughter
      Spoiler:
      to not let regs get in the way of what she wanted
      which obviously had to do with Jack and not Daniel. I thought it was fairly clear that
      Spoiler:
      Jacob was pushing Sam to re-examine not only whether or not she should marry Pete, but her priorities regarding her life and work. And then there's that delightful scene where he's needling her about the florist in front of Jack! He knew what he was doing because he knew how she really felt, even if she didn't acknowledge it yet.

So why then would he think Jacob would prefer Daniel over Jack? But then again, there are lots of situations in real life and in TV or movies where one would THINK that two characters should have certain feelings for each other because they seem to be on the same wavelength, but they just don't have that chemistry.

Then of course, there's Sam and Jack which prove I think that opposites attract...The sexy but somewhat dense hero and the brilliant scientist soldier...(hmm, that sounds vaguely familiar... )
      Point 1: No, the scenes you described were not clear that Jacob was referring to S/J because S is now D's boss so the same situation now applies in reverse: Unfortunately the regs now prevent S/D too!

Yes, some PTB have indicated an S/J preference so with that in mind some audience members may infer Jacob is referring to Jack, but since he did not say "Jack" but referred only to circumstances, the same circumstances apply to Daniel as well.

Point 2: Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder. I think Sam has chemistry with all of her original teammates, but I agree with the saying "a bird may love a fish, but where would they make a home together?" IOW, S/J may like flirting but they are really too different to have a friendly enjoyable long-term relationship IMO. They'd drive each other crazy--despite what may or may not happen in the bedroom. People aren't in the bedroom all day!

S/D OTOH would have lots to talk about, scientific challenges to puzzle out side by side in a mutually enjoyable intellectual and adventurous way, not antagonistic as J often is to S (and to D for that matter). They're already soul mates IMO with what happens in the bedroom as an added bonus. Plus, we've seen them in domestic situations in Singularity and they seemed quite comfortable.

Point 3: This thread has done a fantastic job of being about Sam the character regardless of who she's paired off with. Let's please continue primarily in that mode. There are plenty of Sam/?? threads to discuss pairings.

I apologize for my long discussion of pairings in this post, but I see a decided S/J slant creeping in and S/J fans being somewhat favored. There's already a S/J Ship Family thread -- so can we please keep the discussion of Sam open to all Sam fans regardless of their pairing preference? Thanks.

hrh
      Last edited by hrh36; 22 April 2005, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        I like Emancipation too...the way her eyes sliced through him as he held that blade to her throat...it communicated her sentiment nicely that "you may be threatening to kill me but I won't give you the satisfaction of seeing me scared."

And of course, with that great fight scene at the end!

I had no problem with the sexist element to the episode...some civilizations just aren't as civilized as we'd like and Sam knew that going into this whole thing...

It was so heavy handed, though. Not one of the best SG episode IMHO. But there were some good Sam moments. Not only her kicking Turgan's (sp?) butt at the end. I really liked the scene after she stood up to him to protect the girl's mom and they are sitting in the women's section talking. The young girl says something like "he'll kill you if you don't behave." And Sam just says quietly, "I know."

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36

Point 2: Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder. I think Sam has chemistry with all of her original teammates, but I agree with the saying "a bird may love a fish, but where would they make a home together?" IOW, S/J may like flirting but they are really too different to have a friendly enjoyable long-term relationship IMO. They'd drive each other crazy--despite what may or may not happen in the bedroom. People aren't in the bedroom all day!
          Good point!

Point 3: This thread has done a fantastic job of being about Sam the character regardless of who she's paired off with. Let's please continue primarily in that mode. There are plenty of Sam/?? threads to discuss pairings.

I apologize for my long discussion of pairings in this post, but I see a decided S/J slant creeping in and S/J fans being somewhat favored. There's already a S/J Ship Family thread -- so can we please keep the discussion of Sam open to all Sam fans regardless of their pairing preference? Thanks.

hrh
          Yeah, I think people got distracted because we were discussing the Carmen A. interview. People usually steer clear of the pairings discussions--for which I am grateful as I am basically an anti-shipper.

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
            Point 1: No, the scenes you described were not clear that Jacob was referring to S/J because S is now D's boss so the same situation now applies in reverse: Unfortunately the regs now prevent S/D too!

Yes, some PTB have indicated an S/J preference so with that in mind some audience members may infer Jacob is referring to Jack, but since he did not say "Jack" but referred only to circumstances, the same circumstances apply to Daniel as well.

S/D OTOH would have lots to talk about, scientific challenges to puzzle out side by side in a mutually enjoyable intellectual and adventurous way, not antagonistic as J often is to S (and to D for that matter). They're already soul mates IMO with what happens in the bedroom as an added bonus. Plus, we've seen them in domestic situations in Singularity and they seemed quite comfortable.

hrh
            I promise to keep my views of Sam and Jack off this thread if others limit the discussion of Sam/Daniel...Sam/Thor...Sam/Janet...Sam/Ba'al ect. One of the reasons I use a ever changing sig is because I spend most of my time in this thread and don't want to offend people who don't particular care for the S/J arc; however the relationship between them is part of the reason I enjoy the show.

However I have to disagree with some of the comments you have made. Just because two people are opposites doesn't mean that the only thing they have in common is sexual attraction, nor does it mean that people of like minds are of like hearts. Furthermore, where as couples who are opposites have the ability to complement one another, one may be weak in one area and the other is strong. One could also say that if two people are too much alike that although the strengths that they share may be intensified by one another, so to are their weaknesses.

I have to admit I have a very soft spot for this issue specifically because I have spent the past 10 years listening to people tell me that they are amazed my husband and I have stayed together because we are complete opposites. What people fail to recognize is often what someone see's on the outside is only an image that that person projects and it takes a very special person to break through all those barriers and see what is really inside their heart. So while many people may look at Sam and Jack and not see or understand what they feel for one another... in their own hearts they may see past the differences and see the similiarities that complement their own weaknesses.

I'm not saying that Sam/Daniel don't make a cute couple, nor that they dont share a unique bond, but IMO if they were truly soul mates, TPTB would have made Daniel appear before Sam at least once during the time he was ascended. But then again TPTB have a very strange way of showing affection between most of the characters on the show. Angst yes, but affection is really taboo.

Comment

Add a caption:

Teal'c: Colonel Carter, I am unfamiliar with that tune you are humming.

Sam: Oh...*embarrassed laugh*... it was just something from my childhood that popped into my head.

Teal'c raises his eyebrow high towards his hairline.

Sam: Really. When I was younger I used to have a tendancy to hum whenever I was bored or nervous. It was just a little ditty I used to sing to myself on long car trips.

Teal'c: Perhaps you would not be so bored now if you acquainted me with this childhood ditty of yours.

Sam: Sing (cough)...me? Really, I don't think that would be an very wise decision.

Teal'c: I would be honored to hear your rendition of this... ditty.

Sam: (giggling) Ok, but you have to promise not to ever mention this to anyone else...especially Daniel or Colonel O'Neill.

Teal'c: I pledge you my silence.

*Extremely embarrassed, Sam looks down at her sandwich as she begins to quietly sing*

Sam:
              My bologna has it's first name...it's O.S.C.A.R
              My bologna has it's second name...it's M.A.Y.E.R
              Oh I love to eat it every day
              and if you ask me why... I'll say
              cuz Oscar Mayer has a way...with B.O.L.O.G.N.A

Cringing, Sam looks back over towards Teal'c.
              Sam: Just for the record...I did try to warn you that it was really silly.

Teal'c: (nodding) Indeed you did.

*They both sit in silence, staring out into space for nearly twenty minutes*

Teal'c: Colonel Carter?

Sam: (sighing) Yes Teal'c.

Teal'c: (looking quite concerned) I am experiencing a great deal of difficulty purging your little ditty from my mind.

Laughing out loud, Sam gives Teal'c one of her mega-watt smiles.

A few moments later, she begins to sing the song once again, only this time a deep baritone voice accompanies her.

LOL- What can I say...boredom overtook my mind and planted very silly thoughts into it.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                I promise to keep my views of Sam and Jack off this thread if others limit the discussion of Sam/Daniel...Sam/Thor...Sam/Janet...Sam/Ba'al ect. One of the reasons I use a ever changing sig is because I spend most of my time in this thread and don't want to offend people who don't particular care for the S/J arc; however the relationship between them is part of the reason I enjoy the show.

However I have to disagree with some of the comments you have made. Just because two people are opposites doesn't mean that the only thing they have in common is sexual attraction, nor does it mean that people of like minds are of like hearts. Furthermore, where as couples who are opposites have the ability to complement one another, one may be weak in one area and the other is strong. One could also say that if two people are too much alike that although the strengths that they share may be intensified by one another, so to are their weaknesses.

I have to admit I have a very soft spot for this issue specifically because I have spent the past 10 years listening to people tell me that they are amazed my husband and I have stayed together because we are complete opposites. What people fail to recognize is often what someone see's on the outside is only an image that that person projects and it takes a very special person to break through all those barriers and see what is really inside their heart. So while many people may look at Sam and Jack and not see or understand what they feel for one another... in their own hearts they may see past the differences and see the similiarities that complement their own weaknesses.

I'm not saying that Sam/Daniel don't make a cute couple, nor that they dont share a unique bond, but IMO if they were truly soul mates, TPTB would have made Daniel appear before Sam at least once during the time he was ascended. But then again TPTB have a very strange way of showing affection between most of the characters on the show. Angst yes, but affection is really taboo.
                Thanks for your comments.

Re: your request to keep S/J off this thread "as long as" people keep other pairings discussions off. It sounds like you don't want to hear about them. So you see, this is my point, there is much more S/J here than any other pairing, and those of us who don't prefer it are hearing a lot of it and would prefer not to.

I appreciate your effort to rotate your sig in places other than S/J threads.

Congratulations on 10 years with your hubby. That's great! So your projection onto S/J is based on your personal experience. Again, great, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it.

I'm trying to make people aware that there are other interpretations to the characters, and that there are Sam fans who are not ipso facto S/J fans. IMO S/J should not be the favored pairing in a Sam the character thread.

Re: PTB and Sam & Daniel, there are some PTB who are none too subtle in their preference for S/J in these later seasons. (IMO RCC is the biggest one and since he's now showrunner. . . .) So the fact that Daniel did not visit Sam fits RCC's agenda. But S/D shippers have their explanation about that.

In fact, AT expressed in audio commentaries that she was upset that Daniel didn't visit Sam, that she was the only team member he did not visit. Glaring omission for a team show, no?

From a purely all-team, noromo standpoint, this omission is indeed heinous. Daniel "should" have visited all 3, not 2. It excludes Sam extremely from the team. One could argue that:

a) It's sexist
                b) It serves RCC's J/S agenda by keeping Daniel away from Sam
                c) It points out PTB's inability to write male/female friendships because if Daniel visits Sam then it "must" be for romantic reasons

None of these reasons is professional or reasonable yet sadly we haven't been given any official reasons, so one is left to wonder. If b) is the correct reason, then I guess it worked 'cause it convinced you.

Back to Sam the character, I'm hopeful this season will see the end of the emphasis on personal issues (except about Cassie, by all means, bring her back, that's an unresolved story). My theory is that during the time AT/hubby were trying to start their family, these issues were big on AT's mind and she mentioned them to PTB, and they tried to shoehorn them into Sam's storylines -- which left her with next to no scifi, adventure, leadership, storylines.

Now that AT's had Baby Olivia, perhaps she'll ask to be able to get back into the scifi adventures - and perhaps PTB will let her.

hrh

Comment

Thanks for the Sam/Teal'c moment, ForeverSG1!

I hope we get more S/T in S9. Spoilers indicate NADA as of yet.

hrh

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    Add a caption:

Teal'c: Colonel Carter, I am unfamiliar with that tune you are humming.

Sam: Oh...*embarrassed laugh*... it was just something from my childhood that popped into my head.

Teal'c raises his eyebrow high towards his hairline.

Sam: Really. When I was younger I used to have a tendancy to hum whenever I was bored or nervous. It was just a little ditty I used to sing to myself on long car trips.

Teal'c: Perhaps you would not be so bored now if you acquainted me with this childhood ditty of yours.

Sam: Sing (cough)...me? Really, I don't think that would be an very wise decision.

Teal'c: I would be honored to hear your rendition of this... ditty.

Sam: (giggling) Ok, but you have to promise not to ever mention this to anyone else...especially Daniel or Colonel O'Neill.

Teal'c: I pledge you my silence.

*Extremely embarrassed, Sam looks down at her sandwich as she begins to quietly sing*

Sam:
                    My bologna has it's first name...it's O.S.C.A.R
                    My bologna has it's second name...it's M.A.Y.E.R
                    Oh I love to eat it every day
                    and if you ask me why... I'll say
                    cuz Oscar Mayer has a way...with B.O.L.O.G.N.A

Cringing, Sam looks back over towards Teal'c.
                    Sam: Just for the record...I did try to warn you that it was really silly.

Teal'c: (nodding) Indeed you did.

*They both sit in silence, staring out into space for nearly twenty minutes*

Teal'c: Colonel Carter?

Sam: (sighing) Yes Teal'c.

Teal'c: (looking quite concerned) I am experiencing a great deal of difficulty purging your little ditty from my mind.

Laughing out loud, Sam gives Teal'c one of her mega-watt smiles.

A few moments later, she begins to sing the song once again, only this time a deep baritone voice accompanies her.

LOL- What can I say...boredom overtook my mind and planted very silly thoughts into it.
                    LOL, Kat!

Comment

Hi eveyone, finding it difficult to get back into things here. Firefox and my computer make loading pages very very slow!! I'm missing so much stuff just by being busy one evening!!!

I'm on bended knee to Astro to see if you can wait till Sunday for the ultimate Sam eps and moments from me?!

The big day is tomorrow and I'm taking 1s4S out mountainbiking during the day (at least I will be biking 1s may well be walking). As the weather forecast is good he's threatened me with wearing lycra cycling shorts - maybe I should get a photo and post for you all?

Hopefully after the ride he'll be tired enough to be happy crashing on the settee whilst I ply him with as much Stargate as he can take, but not too tired to fall asleep - see the fine line I have to pedal!!! Oh and I have to make dinner for us as well - the things I do for Samanda!! At least my alcohol will be safe as he will be driving!

So sunday will be my time for putting finger to keyboard. Is that ok Astro?

I'm sure 1s will post his thoughts on Stargate on monday!

Cheers everyone!

Comment

I'm also keeping a little quiet as there is a lot of speculation going on about season 9. I'm still trying to avoid season 8 spoilers and will avoid season 9 news as well. Apart from confirmation of the episode AT will return - which I gather is now established as ep 6!

Comment

Forever.

Did you make the Sam song up or is it a well known American ditty?!

Comment

I'm not too much of a hardened shipper - though I do swing for J/S - however I don't mind hearing people's views on ship. I know this is a Sam thread - but throughout the whole thread - and I did jump in early on - everyone has made comments - mainly J/S and has kept those comments to the minimum. They have been interesting without being intrusive (IMO). If they have increased a little just recently I'm sure it is just for the short term.

Everyone here seems to be able to keep things in perspective - which is why I love visiting. You all have allowed Me a fair bit of lattitude with my sacrastic humour and love of the Oh Yea Times and in return I love hearing everyone else's off topic musings (love that word and got it from here).

We all seem to have a layer to add to the thread and I think it makes for very good reading

Comment

Originally posted by foreversg1
                              Check out my Photo Blog at --http://img23.imageshack.us/img_view...oodevil26rn.jpg
                              Great Photogallery Kat! Such fun to browse through your pics
                              - you've done a fantastic job with the photoshopping!

Comment

Sam: Damn! Who took the last blue jello!
                                Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Working...
                                X