Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    Kudos to our regulars for just developing even more fun things to talk about on this thread: Carter Favorites sound inviting. On that note, let me add one of my favorite episodes to the list: Death Knell. I don't think it's up there yet. Even Amanda, herself, says that she loved to get whumped in this one - do her Carter as soldier routine. And I hope she can do even more realistic episodes like this in S9. (I guess it speaks to the tomboy in me!)

Loved the scientist in Carter remarks about Metamorphosis. That was funny - the machine almost killed her, and yet she still respected the awesome science behind it. Jack had to rein her in at the end.

Oh, that just reminded me of another favorite Carter episode: did we list Ascension yet? That one won her the Leo Award and Grace later resulted in her second Leo Award. Here again, Jack knows her so well, that he reprimands her for touching thingies at the very beginning - I think she actually jumps when he turns around and tells her to keep her hands off.
    So - add Death Knell and Ascension to our list!
    Done!

Best Carter Episode
    Ascension
    Death Knell
    Entity
    Foothold
    Gemini
    Grace
    In The Line of Duty
    Singularity
    Solitudes
    Tokra
    Other?
    Photos are screen captures from the episode Ascension

Tell me more about what we're going to do with our Carter Favorite Episodes once they're listed ... did you say vote on them? I don't want to start new threads, I like keeping all the surveys here on our Sam's Safe Place ... don't you all?
    I was hoping to set up a poll once we have the list of 'nominated episodes'... I don't know if the poll can be added to this thread or if we have to start a new thread to run the poll so folks can vote. I was also hoping to reach a wider audience than just the (*wonderful*) folks who are reading this thread. After the poll thread had 'run its course' and the voting died down, I was wondering if the poll thread could be merged into this one... I have no idea how or if that is possible...

Comment

Best Carter Episode
      Ascension
      Death Knell
      Entity
      Foothold
      Gemini
      Grace
      In The Line of Duty
      Singularity
      Solitudes
      Tokra
      Other?

\
      I want to add Show and Tell, because we get to see Soldier Sam (and i think this is the first time Dad gets to see her too
      and Jolinar's Memories/TDYK - because they byos went on a mission...solely on their faith that sam could figure out how jolinar got out of hell
      and Seth - it's teh first and only time we see sam kill with her tok'ra left overs
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

A near as i can determine, i have the ability to add a poll. So we need to decide, do we want it in here? I don't think i can add multiple polls, just one, so if we're doing more than one, it could be an issue

or we could start a second poll thread when we're ready

we can even set it up that folks can't discuss thier choices in that thread, they need to come and do it here

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          A near as i can determine, i have the ability to add a poll. So we need to decide, do we want it in here? I don't think i can add multiple polls, just one, so if we're doing more than one, it could be an issue

we can even set it up that folks can't discuss thier choices in that thread, they need to come and do it here
          Sounds like a plan! Thanks Sky!

Comment

What do you think about adding Hathor to the list? It was the first time we saw Sam leading a team into combat, and I loved the gals vs. guys scenario.

Comment

I want to add Show and Tell, because we get to see Soldier Sam (and i think this is the first time Dad gets to see her too
              and Jolinar's Memories/TDYK - because they byos went on a mission...solely on their faith that sam could figure out how jolinar got out of hell
              and Seth - it's teh first and only time we see sam kill with her tok'ra left overs
              Originally posted by NearlyCircular
              What do you think about adding Hathor to the list? It was the first time we saw Sam leading a team into combat, and I loved the gals vs. guys scenario.
              All four added!

Best Carter Episode
              Ascension
              Death Knell
              Entity
              Foothold
              Gemini
              Grace
              Hathor
              In The Line of Duty
              Jolinar's Memories/TDYK
              Seth
              Show and Tell
              Singularity
              Solitudes
              Tokra
              Other?
              Last edited by astrogeologist; 26 January 2005, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I like these ideas!

And I think one poll at a time is the way to go.

Comment

okee dokee

you guys let me know when we've got enough episodes, although i'm thinking 10-12 is plenty, i'll start a poll thread, with the rules being that it's just for voting, all discussion is to be in this thread

that should cover all the bases

once we have a winner, we cna then discuss aspects of that episode, or maybe fic from that eps

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    spoilers for s6's metamorphosis

I love that too!

Here Sam almost became waterchick, and she 'still' wanted to play with the devise to see how it worked. I think it's a cute character trait.

Sally
                    Yes, it's like--"oops, yeah I almost forgot for a minute." Similar thing in the black hole story when she's fascinated by the phenomenon & Jack brings her up short by reminding her that people are dying. She looked sort of appalled by herself--sort of "god, what was I thinking?"

Comment

[QUOTE=tara3583]
                      Originally posted by majorsal
                      I think I'd like that took, thinking it all over.

That having RC good 'and' bad reminds me of one of my all-time fave female characters (Sam's number one!), Xena. Xena started off good, was horribly crushed by something that happened to her, went on a revenge kick that would dwarf Teal'c, and then became bad. But the show picked up when Xena had had enough and wanted out (as in suicide). After hooking up with her soon-to-be best friend, though, she decided to right her wrongs and stick around. But once in a while, you saw that 'dark' side of Xena, that she tried *so* hard to control.

I'd like to see that with RC too. Keep her bad for a while, but start letting some of that 'light' in... A good part of RC 'is' Sam, so I'd like to see that struggle between good and bad be shown. I think that would be super interesting, and I think Amanda would have a field day with it.

Interesting thought, we've seen that 5th can feel "good" emotions as well as "bad" so what i
                      would like to see in RC is more of why she thinks replicators are doing no wrong and their
                      way is right. I would like to get in her head and see through her eyes what she thinks of
                      human kind and of Sam, i don't want RC to change from that "cold smile" kind of way that
                      she comes across because i like that and find it interesting to watch, i really do hope that
                      RC continues into s9 because i feel we've just
                      started to scratch the surface with her and as
                      always a fantastic job done by Amanda in bringing her to life!
                      I haven't seen Reckoning yet, so maybe this will be addressed there. Does RC have the capacity to be "good"? We know that 5th could be, but after all, they keep telling us that he was flawed. Is RC just the same as all the other replicators and therefore only concerned with replicating at any cost, or is there a chance that since 5th created her, she has some of 5th's more sympathetic features buried somewhere?

I'd sure like to see more of nasty RC, if for no other reason than we get to see Amanda shine. It's got to be a lot of fun for her to branch out and play the bad guy for a while.

Comment

An observation about Reckoning

Spoiler:
                        When reppy comes into the room where Daniel is, he immedietely starts backing away, and saying "i'll tell you whatever you want, just don't do the head thingy" Jonas was on Sg-1 when they first found the human form replicaters, and everyone got hands in their heads. Daniel has never encountered the human forms, but he's immedietely wary and on full alert and waryness. That means someone has to have told him about everything.

I wonder what a convo between Sam and Daniel about what the human forms can do would be like... Who do you think it was that talked to Daniel about it? Obviously he knows about Replicarter and stuff cause he was there in Gemini, but do you think they've ever talked to him about it with a bit more...depth, and background? They must have filled him in on the stuff that happened when Jonas was there.

I hope that all made sense...
                        The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                        |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          Yes, it's like--"oops, yeah I almost forgot for a minute." Similar thing in the black hole story when she's fascinated by the phenomenon & Jack brings her up short by reminding her that people are dying. She looked sort of appalled by herself--sort of "god, what was I thinking?"
                          Yep. That's another good example. I was trying to remember what episide this was--maybe A Matter of Time. Sam catches herself, but that sense of awe and inquisitiveness gets the best of her at times.

Looking forward to the Sam Carter best episode poll!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                            I haven't seen Reckoning yet, so maybe this will be addressed there. Does RC have the capacity to be "good"?
                            I think that Rep Carter, being made in Sam's image so to speak, might have a certain moral capacity, since it was Real Sam that first attracted Fifth - her goodness and all. But if he actually tried to mess with Rep Sam's morality then he either succeeded in erasing that part or she hid it from him.

(Humm.... Real Carter is "good" because she hides her dark side deep within herself, whereas RepCarter is "Bad" because she (may have been) forced to protect her "goodness" from Fifth. This has potential....)

As to what Reckoning showed about Rep Carter:
                            Spoiler:
                            When Daniel accused her of destroying the galaxy, she countered with "I'm not destroying, I'm creating."

If we (humans)destroy a wetland to build a suburb, does that make us evil? By what right do we make ourselves superior and more important than the flora and fauna that we must destroy in order to create?

I think that her actions have evil consequences for all life in the galaxy, but I'm still not sure that RepCarter deserves the title of evil, yet.
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Best Carter Episode
                              Ascension
                              Death Knell
                              Entity
                              Foothold
                              Gemini
                              Grace
                              In The Line of Duty
                              Singularity
                              Solitudes
                              Tokra
                              Other?

\
                              Can we add 'Matter of Time' to the list? This, to me, was the first time they *really* showcased just how smart Sam was. I felt this ep started a new theme/tradition for Sam.

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

An observation about Reckoning (spoilers for s8 ep)

Originally posted by MajorSam

Spoiler:
                                When reppy comes into the room where Daniel is, he immedietely starts backing away, and saying "i'll tell you whatever you want, just don't do the head thingy" Jonas was on Sg-1 when they first found the human form replicaters, and everyone got hands in their heads. Daniel has never encountered the human forms, but he's immedietely wary and on full alert and waryness. That means someone has to have told him about everything.

I wonder what a convo between Sam and Daniel about what the human forms can do would be like... Who do you think it was that talked to Daniel about it? Obviously he knows about Replicarter and stuff cause he was there in Gemini, but do you think they've ever talked to him about it with a bit more...depth, and background? They must have filled him in on the stuff that happened when Jonas was there.

I hope that all made sense...

I have a question that's not really Sam focused, but...
                                Spoiler:
                                Does it 'show' RC torturing/putting her hand in Daniel's head? I really hope not.

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X