Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love that idea, Skydiver!

How about this? She went off on a whirlwind tour of the galaxy with Thor, who took her to the Asgard High Council for "show and tell"!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
      Originally posted by strix varia
      Originally Posted by Strix varia
      The thing that worries me about season 9 is the fact that (I don't know if I need to spoiler this or not, but I'm going to, just to be safe) SPOILERS (Highlight below to read):
      Sam is "out of the loop" for so long. By necessity, they're having to start the first several episodes without her, focusing attention on the other characters. I have no doubt that CJ and MS think that season 9 is awesome, after all, they're going to have the limelight in the beginning. Nothing wrong with that, but they're going to establish their own chemistry with the new characters, and they're going to be established as the main players in the new theme of the season. I mean, it seems pretty obvious that the writers are taking things in a new direction, and the new direction has a certain amount of cohesion to it, just like the first eight seasons had the on-going theme of the battle with the goa'uld.

So Sam being gone in the beginning leaves her out of all of this new stuff in the crucial development stage. I'm afraid she's going to be brought back in as sort of an after-thought.... oh, and by the way, Sam's back! Now to continue with our story where we left off... Plus, if the writers aren't careful, they could easily bring her back in such a way as to disrupt whatever chemistry has been established between the new characters in the first episodes, opening her up to criticism from the fans. If they set up BB in such a way that the fans fall in love with him, love him in charge, love him leading SG-1, it could be really bad for Sam.
      When I read this post by Strix varia, I was floored. Something has been nagging me for the last several days in regard to Sam and Season 9, and your post expresses exactly what I am worried about. I think I started to feel this way after reading some of the con reports---it seemed that Sam was not mentioned at all. It would be better if I hadn't read them.

I agree that the writers need to be careful about how to bring Sam back. How will she fit into the history that has already taken place between the old and new characters? On the optimistic side, AT is a great actress and I think that the chemistry between her and the new characters will be great and interesting to watch when she returns. And BB mentioned that he was looking forward to meeting and working with her. CB mentioned that she hoped that she could work with AT, but may not be given that chance.
      I think they could have a great episode where Vala works with Sam on using Goa'uld tech. There could be some great Sam scenes in that!
      I can't tell if there is little being said right now because they don't want to spoil us at all about Sam, or if the new characters and Daniel and Teal'c are now considered much more important. Are they trying to drive Sam fans crazy (and the Sam/Jack shippers too for that matter)? The problem is, we have no idea how they are writing the Sam character and how involved Amanda wants to be. And it seems as if people learned nothing about this at the con.

I hate to admit it, but I cringe at some of the storylines for the first five episodes (but I am keeping an open mind). It sounds like Vala will continue to use sexual banter and this is very unappealing to me. I like Daniel and Teal'c, but for me they are not as interesting to watch without Sam.

I have said nothing useful!!! Sorry--just a bit of a rant!!
      Rant away (your rants are good reading... there are other folks on other threads who I wish would curtail their venom in their rants, but yours are not venomous or mean... so rant away! )

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Okay ... this one's for you MajorSal ... would this "floor the fans"? ...

Spoiler:
        Sam has been away for "personal and professional" reasons. Professionally, she has been helping to mend the rift with the Tok'ra high council and the now newly formed Jaffa nation and, personally, Sam returns through the Stargate - klaxons blaring and Walter looking worried and new general and SG1 standing up in the control room waiting to see who activated the Gate - finally, Walter brightens and says: "It's Colonel Carter's signature code, sir!" Everyone relaxes and Sam steps through the Gate holding a baby! It's her love child with O'Neill - obviously they did more than fish at his cabin before everyone left for new missions. And baby Olivia is cast as the newest member of the SG1 team. Well, member-in-training.

Hey, it's late and I've had a hard day ... it sure beats the Tok'ra-in-her-head scenario.

i'll take her walking through the gate pregnant (i don't want to miss her delivery scenes )

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          i keep thinking of one silly thing.....PMS with a P90
          One of the few truly frightening things left in this world...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Ummm...
            I'd cringe ... unless the baby has superpowers! (no seriously, the naquada in Sam's blood and therefore possibly in any child she might have )

Hehe, new game. Come up with the wackiest, most obscure reason why Sam is away for the start of Season 9
            i'd hope sam's baby wouldn't be inflicted (can't think of another word) with naquada in his/her blood. i'd just want it to be a normal, healthy baby.

so, what horrible reason for sam's absense?....

PMS

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              The thread has exploded with all kinds of guesses as to just what will be happening around Sam's return.

First, I have to ask Astro just where did you begin to get the idea of
              Spoiler:
              the Tok'ra in Sam? Did I miss a whole section of this thread discussing that? After watching Tok'ra Part 1 rerun tonight and Sam's visceral reaction to the thought of another symbiote, I can't picture TPTB ever using that as a plot device again for Carter. It just doesn't make sense.
              Why do you feel they're going in that direction? Proof positive, please.
              Alas, I have no Proof Positive ( )... but then if I *did* I would probably be so morose as to be unbearable and would have been banned from this thread by the SaGC Powers That Be...

The best I can say is that the idea of Sam coming back
              Spoiler:
              Tokrafied
              just seemed to fit with the bits and pieces of information that we have...
              Spoiler:

1. Jacob's death in Threads - leaves the 'Earth-Tokra' liason position open
              2. Jacob saying that Sam went into the Air Force because of him... so they could now have her be the Earth-Tokra liason 'in her father's memory'
              3. AT said that Jacob's death was for two storyline reasons... and I only know of one (getting S&J together)
              4. Sam as the Tokra liason would allow TPTB to avoid a 'problem' with which Lt. Col. is in charge of SG-1... it would have to be Mitchell as they wouldn't allow a Tokra to be in charge of an Air Force team on a permanent basis
              5. Sam as the Tokra liason could be written as a 'flexible character' in that they could write AT in as much, or as little, as her schedule with her new baby allows.
              But these are bits and pieces and I haven't seen it anywhere in print that Sam will be
              Spoiler:
              Tokrafied

I really don't want to see it happen... I want Sam... our Sam... to deal with things in Season 9... and to occassionally deal with the ramifications and effects of the previous seasons. I don't want Sam to change into
              Spoiler:
              the alien female on the team
              I like seeing Sam in basic Air Force and SGC clothes... and I don't want to see her dressing and acting like a
              Spoiler:
              Tokra!
              . I want to continue to see our Sam deal with Stargate life.

Of course, I do *really* like the
              Spoiler:
              Copy of Sam idea that I proposed a few thread pages back ... The more I think about that idea, the more I like it and all the potential storylines that could come from it. I understand MajorSal's concern that Sam would have had grand adventures that we wouldn't have seen... but that's just it... we'd get to slowly learn about them as the series evolved... They'd be on some new planet... and Sam would have experience dealing with the tech, or the native people... or Daniel would see a scar on Sam's leg and ask about it and Sam would relate a cool adventure... The mystery and interest that could be generated... I think it would incite a lot of enthusiasm and support for the character of Sam Carter. That kind of 'mystery' is what keeps viewers coming back - they want to find out what happened, and they love dreaming up cool scenarios.

So, hopefully, Sam's absence won't be explained with something 'hum drum' and/or boring.
              Originally posted by chopingal
              And what about Naomi? (Just wanted to see if you're paying attention!)

Comment

If you have not seen this new thread check it out http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=11325 Martin Gero is a writer for Stargate and he was at the con this past weekend in Vancouver. He was at the GW dinner Fri night and he lead some of the set tours on Sat. Although he does more with Atlantis he is writting some for SG-1 S9 - He was great on the set tour -
                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

OMG!!!!!
                  Martin Gero (writer on Atlantis) just posted on his thread in response to my Q.

Originally posted by MartinGero
                  Originally posted by Agent Dark
                  I've heard works of a crossever between SGA and SG1. Any idea of what/when/if to expect?
                  There is a crossover episode (of sorts) in the works…right now it’s slated to shoot as the 13th episode of season 2…I don’t want to say more, because nothing has been locked down yet. We’re all very excited about it, and if your signature is any indication, you'll be very excited too, Agent Dark.
                  /me starts going into shock

Does this mean, dare I say it, SAM IN ATLANTIS?!?!?!?

Comment

OMG!!!!!

I think they'd be foolish not to have Sam and McKay involved in another episode and congrats on "winning the lottery" and getting selected for an answer from TPTB! Yippee!! One of our own!

Comment

Hehe, new game. Come up with the wackiest, most obscure reason why Sam is away for the start of Season 9
                      She decides she was wrong to dump Pete after all, and they determine to get married by Elvis Presley at a drive-through chapel in Las Vegas. While there, but before the ceremony is actually performed, Sam discovers that Elvis is, in fact, alive and well, because he is actually a goa'uld.

Upon realizing he has been discovered, Elvis and his loyal followers abduct Sam and Pete to Graceland where they are both tortured mercilessly by being forced to listen to "Hound Dog" for endless hours at excruciatingly high decibles. After several months of this, Pete eventually caves and spills his guts about everything he knows in regards to the Stargate program, and Elvis realizes that he really only needs Sam to get him to the Stargate and off-world where he plans to take over the galaxy much as he did the show-business world on earth. So he zats Pete three times into oblivion.

Sam, despite the horror of witnessing Pete's demise, keeps a level head and jury-rigs the wiring to the speakers in her holding cell, causing a feedback loop that explodes the entire secret Graceland stereo system. She escapes during the subsequent power failure and fire, calling for back-up from the SGC to take out Elvis and his followers.

Of course, she returns triumphant to the SGC just in time to save the world from a devastating plague.

My LJ

Comment

Okay.

Here's one for you.

The klaxons sound. A wormhole has been established. The new SGC CO asks for confirmation, and yes, Walter states that it is Colonel Carter's IDC.

The iris opens and moments later...

Lt. Col. Samuel Carter runs through the stargate.

Everyone's stunned by his appearance and he's left wondering why everyone thinks he should be a woman.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

At the beginning of the season Sam is off coordinating the addition of an Asgard (Heimdal) to The Daedulus crew. There is a freak ...uh....transport rings accident that leaves Sam co-existing with Heimdal in the Asgard's body. Sam's real body was placed in stasis until they can find a way to reverse the process.

Sam/Heimdal returns to the SGC to work on the problem. (Convenient for AT - she only has to do voice work. ) Hijinks ensue as Sam/Heimdal goes on missions with Sg-1.

Eventually Sam/Heimdal return to Atlantis as they discover something in the Ancient database that allows the problem to be fixed. Voila! AT/Sam's back for the last half of the season. Heimdal stays behind at Atlantis.

Okay - so I'm no fanfic writer.

I have to admit I'd love for them to do something that would floor me. Really, really *wow* me.

ETA: Hehe, love the Elvis story and the AU Samuel Carter story.
                          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

OMG!!!!!

This was his first post to the thread... I have a feeling with this info and what he told AD...we may now know what Sam may be up to at the beginning of season 9.

Spoiler:

Hello and welcome to the thread:

I’m gonna do my best here to answer your questions without getting fired for giving away our deepest, darkest secrets.

So, first question RE: the Asgard and Atlantis. Don’t want to give too much away, but let me say this…the Daedalus is perhaps the most advanced vessel the Air Force has ever built. We sure could use, say: a full time crew member who would ensure we’re using it to its maximum potential…if you get what I mean.
                            Spoiler:

I think the odds of Sam being with the Asgard are pretty good at this point.
                            Who else would Earth use as a liason with the Asgard?? as well as working knowledge of the Daedalus???

Hmmmmm.....

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                              Lt. Col. Samuel Carter runs through the stargate.

Everyone's stunned by his appearance and he's left wondering why everyone thinks he should be a woman.
                              LOL! Think they could get AT's twin to play the part?

My LJ

Comment

What Are Your Series Favorite Carter Episodes?
                                Singularity, In the Line of Duty, Foothold, Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know, Ascension, Grace, New Order

Great Kick-A$$ Carter Scenes:
                                Too many to mention!!

Best AT Acting Episodes:
                                Also too many to mention, but here goes anyway: Singularity, Solitudes, Tok'ra I and II, Ascension, Meridian, Grace, Death Knell, New Order, Gemini, Reckoning I and II, and Moebius I and II

Best AT Acting Scenes:
                                Way, way, way too many once again. Let's see:
                                -In elevator in Singularity and then when she went back to Cassie--you really feel Sam's anguish and then determination.
                                -With Martouf in Tok'ra I on the hill--very touching
                                -With her Dad in Tok'ra II right before her Dad joins with Lantesh
                                -When using the memory device in Jolinar's memories to recall -- pain and anguish
                                -As Daniel is dying in Meridian
                                -Every scene in Grace and Death Knell
                                -Eulogy for Janet by Sam in Heroes
                                -Torture scenes with Fifth in New order
                                -Jacob/Sam scene in Threads
                                -any Replicarter scene, and geek sam scene in Season 8!!

Great Episodes for the Character Development of Sam Carter:
                                Singularity, In the Line of Duty, Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know, Divide and Conquer, 48 Hours (with McKay), Grace, New Order, Threads

Great Episodes that should have led to more character development of Sam Carter:
                                Seth (need more use of Goa'uld technology), Entity (the aftermath), Heroes II (with Cassie), New Order (aftermath from Fifth, although saw some of this in Gemini)
                                Love your new category, Chocdoc!
                                Best Carter Humor Scene:Where Carter/AT gets to be funny:
                                Not enough
                                --Moebius of course
                                --Indeed with Teal'c in Space Race
                                --Ascension where she asks O'Neill if she is ever tense and when did he first notice.

Best Sam-whumping scene/episode:
                                The Devil you KNow, New Order scenes with Fifth, and Death Knell

Best Sam/Teal'c scene/episode:this category is especially for Skydiver
                                Any scene that Sam and Teal'c are allowed to be in!! Examples:
                                -In Foothold where she says she'll come back for him
                                -Indeed scene in Space Race
                                -Locker room in Paradise Lost
                                -Teal'c helping out Sam with Janet's eulogy

Best episode where Sam had a very small part, but had a great stand-out scene or made a really big contributionForeverSG1's category suggestion
                                Almost every episode, because Sam is a great character

Best Writer of good, solid Carter FUTURE episodes:
                                Skydiver, Astrogeologist, Strix varia, Majorsam, Chopingal, Uber, (I apologize for those I have missed on this thread!)

Best Sam and Janet scenes for Carterslave?
                                --Fire and Water when Dr. Frazier helps Captain Carter who is in shock.
                                --Rites of Passage---all the scenes with Sam, Janet, and Cassie
                                --The Fifth Man---when Sam told Janet it is up to her to find out what is going on
                                --Ascension---in infirmary after fainting

Should have been many more Sam/Janet scenes in the series!!
                                Great choices, Chocdoc! I have downloaded and integrated your choices and comments into the summary list And I really liked your three new categories!

You definitely deserve some Royal Blue Jello

*Special* Stock!

Comment

Working...
                                X