Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoilers for Season 7 Lost City below:

Originally posted by majorsal
    I'd *love* for them to revisit this part of Sam! I really can't remember the last time Sam tried to use them (the first thing that came to mind was when she was trying to heal Daniel in Meridian... that was heart breaking).

spoilers for s7's lost city(s)
    Spoiler:
    I wish Sam would have been the one to take the Ancients download instead of Jack. How would that have worked with her having naquada in her blood, or the memories of Jolinar? So much potential!

Sally
    I agree with you RE Sam' role in the Lost City! It would have been interesting to see how she would have been affected, and how the transformation would have progressed.

I also wish that they'd simply involved the entire team more critically -- as it was, they wrote it so that O'Neill saved Earth and the other three basically provided cover fire and support (3 Special Forces marines could have accomplished almost the same results). And it would have been so great to see all of them somehow go through the transformation together...and be talking to each other in Ancient (instead of having the three of the them just follow O'Neill around) - and then all four of them get frozen to end the season! Thor would then have to come and get them out at the beginning of the next season...

Comment

I'm not going to complain a bit about the Lost City because the way it played out made it one of my fav eps ever.

BUT

I will say that we do need the team dynamic back with characters carrying burdens equally. I've finally caught up on Season 8 and seen all the episodes, and I'm really beginning to notice the lopsidedness of each ep. Each episode focuses solely on one (or at most two) members of the main cast. I miss the TEAM! I'm one of the few that liked Covenant, but I think I just saw Teal'c in it for a few seconds, in the background...yeah.

Here's to more Samantha Carter-led teamwork in the rest of season eight!

Speaking of our glorious girl, don't you think Sam should command SG-1 in Season Nine (upon Amanda's return, of course)? She's totally earned it-O'Neill deemed her fit for the position! I don't mind Browder stepping in for the first few, but they'd better give Sam her job back! And we need to see her in command this time, not just know she's in command because of her rank...

What do y'all think of this issue? Lieutenant Colonel and Lieutenant Colonel on the same team? Or will Browder get a pop promotion to ruin the mood?

Comment

I really hope Sam is in command of sg1 in s9 with the new fella as her 2 in command, if they
        don't and have her as 2 in command i would really, really be unhappy!
        Amanda has done a fantastic job with making Sam
        a well rounded woman that she is today and to be honest if tpbt stuff Sam back in 2 in command role imho it would look like a slap in the face for Amanda!
        I would love to see her work well with the new
        fella not be at odds with him and maybe some teasing going on between them.
        ......TARA......

Comment

i think sam can do a great job of leading, if they'd just give her a chance.

hello, writers, can we please have less of soap of the week and actually have a mission now an then? even if it's on world, it would be nice to actually see sg-1 do something

sort of like zero hour....i know why we didn't see what happened on the planet and focused on actions in the sgc...but they missed a prime opportunity to let sam do something more that jsut be there

what i've loved about sam from the beginning is that she was a member of the team that just happened to be a woman. now? now she's a woman who just happens to be on a team
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Here's to more Samantha Carter-led teamwork in the rest of season eight!

Speaking of our glorious girl, don't you think Sam should command SG-1 in Season Nine (upon Amanda's return, of course)? She's totally earned it-O'Neill deemed her fit for the position! I don't mind Browder stepping in for the first few, but they'd better give Sam her job back! And we need to see her in command this time, not just know she's in command because of her rank...

What do y'all think of this issue? Lieutenant Colonel and Lieutenant Colonel on the same team? Or will Browder get a pop promotion to ruin the mood?[/QUOTE]

You should probably open a new thread on this unless there is one floating around already. I have a serious concern about this: BB as a Lt. Col and possibly the fourth SG-1 team member ... yes, the writers seem to be retreating into their good old "boys' club" right now with the casting of BB and his potential role. Have they even considered Sam in this whole new arc? She has been, and should continue to be, the CO of SG-1 through Jack's directive. This is a just and timely reward for her years of loyal service and also a prime opportunity for some really good and creative writing to now show Sam "in the field" and "as a leader who has to make some tough decisions". (I can't resist: deciding on whether to accept an engagement ring is not the kind of decision that fans were looking for in S8!) The writers have dropped the ball the past two seasons on Sam's potential. AT, herself, has admitted that she loved doing "Death Knell" because she got to be a soldier in the midst of conflict - she got roughed up and thought that it was about time (listen to audio commentary for that episode) that Sam was portrayed more realistically in that manner. She wants more of those kinds of episodes. And so do I! Sam is a heroic character - she needs to be given the chance to be "the hero" in future episodes. The whole dynamic of leadership - does a woman lead differently than a man, react differently under a pressure situation, in giving orders? Perhaps they would have to open their "boys' club" up and let some women writers in to answer those questions with honest scripts. Eek! I'm going off topic here - sorry. You've touched a nerve - BB must not replace our Sam as leader of the pack! That would be a travesty.

Comment

First of all, I haven't quite mastered the use of blue quote boxes, and apologise to Aeromathlete for the lack of clarity regarding using your own words in my previous post. If anyone can set me straight on how to "pull and quote" material from other posts - it would be great.

Sally - your response to my first post and your mentioning the "schizophrenia lines" in Tok'ra Part One - yes! So well acted and the writing was so on at that time. The writing is what the actor has to work with - and, to her credit, AT gives 110% to each and every script even when the writers seem to be throwing her a curve ball! She also is a director's delight: totally into the scene and reacting to the other actors even when not the prime focus of attention. That's why she makes the character so human and believable. It also shows her professionalism and lack of ego

Okay, someone throw me a line here ... how do I cut and paste just parts of former posts into those little blue boxes?!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

Okay, someone throw me a line here ... how do I cut and paste just parts of former posts into those little blue boxes?!!

click on the 'quote' button instead of 'reply'

it will give you a box with the entirety of that post in quote tags that look like
                QUOTE=ChopinGal
                /QUOTE

just with little [] around them

as long as you keep those tags intact, you can either leave the whole post or snip out all but the pertinent parts that you're responding to
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

ChopinGal, I'd PM you, but you've disabled your PMs. To do a quote, type

[Quote=ChopinGal]how do I cut and paste just parts of former posts into those little blue boxes?!![/quote]

and it turns out like this:
                  Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  how do I cut and paste just parts of former posts into those little blue boxes?!!
                  To do the cut&paste thing, highlight the bit you want copied, hold down 'ctrl' and press 'c'. That copies the bit to your 'clipboard'. Then you can hold down 'ctrl' and press 'v' to paste the bit from your clipboard into your post.

Madeleine

Comment

Of course, I agree with everybody.

Sam is definitely my favorite character, partly because I see a bit of myself in her--both who I really am and who I would like to be.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any favorite Sam episodes beyond those that have already been mentioned. I love Amanda/Sam even more now that I know the "idiot" line in Foothold was ad-lib. That's such a great Sam episode.

I don't think anybody's mentioned Nightwalkers yet, though. It's a great Sam episode--Sam in charge, Sam being clever, Sam kicking butt. Even if it did seem a bit too much like an X-Files episode.

Yep, I love Sam.

I also agree that if Sam is not the CO of SG-1 in season 9, I'll feel betrayed. If we get some good solid Carter-in-command episodes between now and the end of season 9, I wouldn't be so bitter if she stepped down after that, but she needs at least 1 full season of strong command, and IMO, so far season 8 ain't it.

I'm in the camp that doesn't like Pete but the jury's still out on whether I'll like the arc because it all depends on how it plays out in the end. Sam is a hero, but I like my heros to be human, I like to see them vulnerable to ordinary mistakes, errors of judgement, problems etc...I like seeing Sam struggle with a relationship that's probably a dumb mistake the same way I loved seeing Daniel laid up with appendicitis because it was so ordinary. People, real people, even really smart, talented people, have those types of problems. I see some of Sam's reactions WRT Pete as out of character for her, but then I think, people do stuff that's out of character for themselves sometimes, because they're trying to be someone or something they're not, because they think it's what they want. I think it's getting old and needs to be wrapped up...but as long as they conclude this particular arc in a way that ultimately leaves Sam's integrity intact, even if it means she looks kinda dumb in the process, I'll be OK with that, and I think it's still possible.

But back to the Fabulousness that is Sam...or rather, Amanda, because beyond the writing, it's Amanda that makes Sam shine. I doubt I'd like the character at all with another actress in the role. I can't imagine anybody else pulling it off.

Somebody mentioned how much of Amanda is brought into the character of Sam. It's made me wonder if we'll see any effect on Sam because of Amanda's being a mommy, beyond the schedule limitations. I mean, will it make a difference in how Amanda plays the character of Sam? How Sam reacts? We know the pregnancy won't be written into the show in any way, and I think that's wise, but it's still a big deal for Amanda. So, it'll be interesting to see what effect it has on Sam.
                    Sam & Jack 'Ship...

Comment

AT has made the character of SC more impressive due to her great acting. She has mastered the ability to be brainy, practical, emotional, flawed, have a love life, control her love for J, and be a leader for her team, and a woman. When she comes back after giving birth, I am sure that she will be a greater actress cause having a baby changes alot of things in ones life. She will be a amazing leader for SG1.

Gatebee

Comment

Just want to reiterate how much I love this thread!
                        Many thanks to MajorSal for starting it!

The following are just a few of the Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping scenes that stand out for me (both for the character of SC and the acting of AT).

1. The scene with Martouf in the episode The Tokra (part 1) where she is sitting on the sand dune with her knees pulled up (talking about Jolinar and schizophrenia) -- I can still see this scene in my mind. As many of you have noted in previous postings, this was a stellar perfomance.

2. The scene near the end of the episode in Singularity where Sam tries to leave Cassandra but can't.

3. The scene in Death Knell where we first see Sam hiding from Anubis' drone -- AT had no lines, and the scene was very short, but AT's acting was exceptional -- as Chopin Gal stated, what AT can do with a facial expression! AT portrayed the exhaustion and relief so perfectly!

4. The scene at the end of Death Knell where O'Neill asks her if she wants to get up (stupid question, btw - he should have started assessing her injuries). AT stated that she was uncomfortable with the way that this scene was written... it could easily come across as the weak woman collapsing against the strong male saviour (a cliched ending if there ever was one). So, I was blown away with how AT played the scene - she definitely did not come across as the stereotypical emotional woman who falls on the male... no, AT claimed that scene as she played the exhausted soldier - with no emphasis on her sex. She simply played it so believably!

5. The scenes at the beginning of Space Race... where Sam wants to join the race - for the fun of it.

6. The episode ‘Grace’ surprised me. Surprised and impressed me.

I have been watching and reading science fiction for over 30 years (scary how fast the years pass), and the episode ‘Grace’ goes beyond standard TV science fiction.

First, I had heard and read synopses of the show… Carter is stranded alone on the Prometheus… and has some time to think about her life. Now, stranding main characters on a ship is an old TV sci fi plot device, so, to be honest, the episode sounded fairly… boring. But then I finally got to watch ‘Grace’ (on the DVDs) – and I was stunned at how well the episode was constructed, filmed and acted. The story was never boring… and in fact, the episode seemed to reach the end all too quickly. I have actually watched this episode three times now (and that was a first for me with a TV show episode), and I see more commendable attributes with each viewing!

Amanda Tapping’s acting was simply stellar - five-star ! She truly acts – she doesn’t just stand in the scenes, say her lines and let the scene play out around her (as many TV actors do). She put forth an exceptional performance worthy of the cinema or theatre – and she was believable – and that believability, that veracity is what is so outstanding. And AT does this all the time, not just in Grace. And it's what makes AT stand out head and shoulders above almost all other actors.

Of note, AT deserves special commendation for the following scenes:
                        (and please note that these are only a few of what could be included)

Sam to Daniel: Were you this annoying when you were ascended?
                        (an absolutely wonderful line, perfectly delivered by AT).
                        Daniel: I don't know, depends on who you ask. I thought I had a certain je ne sais quoi. Timing was so so.

(The interaction between Sam and Daniel was wonderfully played by both actors.)

Daniel: Look, you just need some help, that's all. Can't you just try to go along with this?
                        Sam: You're me talking to.. me?

(another perfect delivery by AT).

Daniel: Well I think you're going about this all wrong.
                        Sam: This is helping?

(and again another perfect delivery)

When Sam fights for consciousness and slides down the wall while ‘Daniel’ is trying to get her to consider the possible sentience of the cloud.
                        (superbly acted by AT… and that slide down the wall looked painful)

Sam wakes up on the floor: This is real. This is real.
                        (excellently acted by Amanda Tapping)

The entire scene with Jacob.

Sam watching the bubbles at the end and AT does a fantastic job of showing on her face when the inspiration hits her… when she connects the bubbles to a possible way to get out of the nebula/cloud. Again, her facial expressions and reactions are simply believable and, somehow honest – and that is the very essence of an exceptional actor – one who can act and yet it doesn’t seem like they are acting.

Grace: What you looking at?
                        Sam: It's complicated.
                        Grace: Try me.
                        Sam: I'm gonna try and save myself with a bubble.
                        Grace: How?
                        Sam: The hyperdrive won't fully engage because of the cloud but maybe it doesn't have to. If I can dial down the power flow to the hyperdrive emitter theoretically I should be able to cause a partial shift into hyperspace, essentially taking the ship out of the cloud's space time. Hopefully just enough to eliminate its effects on the sub light engines.
                        Grace: Neat.
                        Sam: Yeah.

(Sam talking technobabble to herself… and her enthusiasm showing through – beautiful. AT plays this with such positive enthusiasm that it’s hard not to smile along with her)

---------------------

The writing for this episode deserves 4-stars .

The ensuing story effectively interwove Sam’s efforts (and voice-overs) with Sam’s periods of unconsciousness, her hallucinations… and the little girl citing the words to Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star… along with a couple of looks at what how the search was progressing from the SGC-side. The incorporation of Teal’c, Daniel, Grace, Jacob and Jack into Sam’s hallucinations was wonderfully executed and integrated.

Grace was actually a complicated, yet ‘tightly’ woven episode. There were so many different threads and perspectives… the writing, directing and acting were amazing! For a TV show? Almost unbelievable – this type of quality is so rare that it’s almost non-existent. Grace is not standard one-hour TV-episode fare.

Just a few of the exceptional lines and scenes are below (in addition to the ones cited earlier):

The action and story set-up at the beginning was wonderfully thought-out and filmed. Lots of action, suspense, science fiction storyline and good integration of secondary characters

Teal’c:
                        That's not all. Everything may not be as it seems.
                        Sam: Well thank you but the fact that I'm talking to someone who's not really here kind of speaks to that.

Daniel: Hey! Have I told you my latest theory yet? It's really cool. Lose something?
                        Sam: Did you see a…
                        Daniel: Little girl?
                        Sam: Yeah.
                        Daniel: No.
                        (Love the dry humor)

Sam: The cloud is alive?
                        Daniel: Yeah, it's a sentient being like feelings, memories. Space born alien entity if you will.
                        Sam: That's crazy.
                        (The different theories presented via the personas of Teal’c and Daniel were nicely executed… in character for T&D, but also right down ‘plausible science fiction plot lines’… great writing to have these conversations show how Sam is trying to work through the possibilities).

Jacob: I know it sounds corny but you get to an age, you get to an age where you think of everything you did wrong as a parent. Don't take this the wrong way.
                        Sam: I know, I don't look so good.
                        (Love the dry humor and that these folks don’t take themselves too seriously)

Jacob: I wanted so many things for you Sam. And look what it's brought you instead.
                        Sam: Sure, the massive headache really takes the edge off it all.
                        (very effective gallows humor)

Sam: Dad, I am happy. I've seen and done things most people couldn't even dream of. I have an incredible life.
                        Jacob: And yet you're alone.
                        Sam: Well lately the dating scene's been a little stale but then again I am marooned on a space ship.
                        (Loved this last line)

Sam: I'd let you go right now if I knew.
                        Jack: That easy?
                        Sam: I didn't say it would be easy.
                        (wonderfully written)

Jack: Will you guys shut up? Let her work.
                        (And Jack trusts her – an exceptional line)

These excerpts from the Grace transcript are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website
                        http://www.moon-catchin.net/transcripts.htm

I deliberately tried to stay away from most of the ship/non-ship lines or implications as that would spark numerous additional pages on a topic outside the scope of this thread. My feelings on J/S ship are fairly well portrayed in my fanfics such as 'Come Fly With Me' and'What Will It Take' (all available on Fanfiction.net, Heliopolis and Gateworld).

If you like Carter-centered fanfic, I have written
                        'Nine' - about a young nine-year old Sam at the present-day SGC
                        'Overtime' - Sam as the heroic, competent soldier
                        'A Beautiful Mind' - The NID get their hands on Sam.
                        I have other recommendations for Carterfic at http://www.fanfiction.net/u/599721/

If you have a chance, please check out Chopin Gal's newest fic 'Head Trip' at Fanfiction.net.
                        Last edited by astrogeologist; 30 December 2004, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Sky and Madeleine, for the "blue-box" tips! Now, let's see if I can read directions:

ChopinGal, I'd PM you, but you've disabled your PMs. To do a quote, type

Er...no blue box?!

However, I can't resist responding to my "missing PMS" - Holy Hannah - most of the time my PMS is pretty noticeable

Okay, okay ... I'll check around on the board and figure out why my PMS is disabled ...

Comment

Because Sam, our "National Treasure," deserves much more than the second page.

BUMP!

And I just watched Grace today, too! I didn't like it the first time that much, but upon rewatching...WOW. My favorite parts are when Jack is giving her some pep talk, though. He respects her SO much and she knows that, which is what makes that aspect of the episode so compelling. Sam's willpower is amazing. Her ability to even fragment her thought processes into different characterizations of her friends, albeit illusion, was powerful and key to observing different angles on the same situation. Her problem-solving skills are magnificent, and Grace really let her shine a little bit. Even if it was a dream.

And as astrogeologist mentioned:

That was my favorite line in the entire episode. Awesomeness.

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                              Because Sam, our "National Treasure," deserves much more than the second page.

BUMP!

And I just watched Grace today, too! I didn't like it the first time that much, but upon rewatching...WOW. My favorite parts are when Jack is giving her some pep talk, though. He respects her SO much and she knows that, which is what makes that aspect of the episode so compelling. Sam's willpower is amazing. Her ability to even fragment her thought processes into different characterizations of her friends, albeit illusion, was powerful and key to observing different angles on the same situation. Her problem-solving skills are magnificent, and Grace really let her shine a little bit. Even if it was a dream.

And as astrogeologist mentioned:

That was my favorite line in the entire episode. Awesomeness.
                              The more I watched and thought about the episode Grace, the more I grew to appreciate what the writers, directors and actors accomplished - which was much more than I had anticipated (I have watched so much scifi, that I am a bit jaded -- I love scifi...and I watch almost anything that airs, but I don't expect to be blown away very often... ).

And, just a note - I love the SC picture in aeromathlete's signature
                              Last edited by astrogeologist; 31 December 2004, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                                My favorite "Sam" moments....

Singularity. Riding with Cassie in the elevator. Being unable to leave her. That scene breaks my heart everytime I watch it.

Solitudes. Trying to keep Jack alive. Working so hard to get them out. Climbing out of that hole just to see miles of snow and ice. Her quiet "I'm here Jack" when he calls for Sara. Just lovely stuff.

In the Line of Duty. Maybe Sam's best episode (to me). I loved the Jolinar arc and thought it introduced a whole new layer to Sam's character. The scene at the end - when she's laying in bed after Jolinar has died to save her. Just fabulous work from AT.

Tok'ra I&II. I've loved the arc with Sam's father Jacob. And the scenes when she tells Jacob what she really does (in the hospital room) and they go thru the gate together really touched me. I really felt that Sam was at last reassured that her father was proud of her.

Jolinar's Memories/Devil You Know. Again, part of the Jolinar arc and I loved what Sam went thru in Jolinar's Memories to help Martouf. I loved that they let Sam just be one of the gang and be tortured like everyone else. And again - great scenes with Jacob and Sam.

Foothold. Kickass Sam to the rescue. Snarky Sam telling off Maybourne. What's not to love.

Exodus/Enemies. My favorite episodes for Sam the brilliant scientist and Sam the great soldier. Blowing up the sun was a wicked cool plan. And snarky Sam running thru the halls blowing away replicators with her P90 is the Sam I love to see. Had some great Sam lines.

JACK: Carter? How do you know where to go in a place like this?
                                SAM: I studied certain respects of the ship while we were on Vorash.
                                JACK: You know how to have a good time, don't you?
                                SAM: I'm having a good time now, Sir.
                                JACK: You GO girl.

JACK: Yes! Well, next time, maybe we'll just wait and see.
                                JACOB: And blow the last chance I'll ever have to being right?
                                SAM: (Laughing) Welcome to MY life!

Meridian/Paradise Lost. The "Sam loves her team" episodes. I really thought these were both good to show how close Sam is to the boys. Her scene at the dying Daniel's bedside. When she broke down in the locker room over Jack's disappearance. Accepting comfort from Teal'c. These all make me weepy just thinking about them.

Grace. I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea but I really loved it. My interpretation (I guess) was different from many people's and I enjoyed seeing Sam face up to her inner fears and demons and doubts. And question her choices in life. I loved AT's performance in this one.

Death Knell. What I enjoyed about Sam in this episode is that she was stripped of her computer models and her technobabble was in basic survival mode. Sam can hold her own - on a physical level - with the best of them and she really showed it here. Seeing Sam being less-than-glamorous. A real soldier. It all worked for me. And of course I love the exploration of the father/daughter relationship with Jacob and there were some really great scenes in this one.
                                What a wonderfully thought out post! Thanks! And I have to agree wholeheartedly with the Foothold assessment! "Kickass Sam to the rescue. Snarky Sam telling off Maybourne. What's not to love."

CARTER: Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week!
                                Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!

That is one of my most memorable 'Sam lines'!
                                And thanks to MajorSal for letting us know that AT adlibbed that line!

Originally posted by MajorSal
                                Amanda adlibbed that line to Maybourne.

Comment

Working...
                                X